online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

You're Focusing On The WRONG Thing

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

7 years ago '11        #1
3696 page views
0 comments

DJ STRIVER 
Props total: 4167 4 K  Slaps total: 1440 1 K
You're Focusing On The WRONG Thing

TL;DR version: Hustle like money doesn't exist. Focus not on the price you sell for, but the value you provide customers and you'll always have business. The best way to get in the game is to either be better, or be unique.

Long version (reading time 4 mins. 42 secs.):

I had a revelation last night. See, for the longest time I've been racking my brain on 'what's the best thing I can sell?', which caused me to run through countless threads on here, Quora and other places looking for that 'magic bullet' if you will that'd guarantee me sales.

I'd read that the object of marketing is to list the benefits, not the features and the purpose of business is to create value but had largely written that off as bullsh*t people said in order to avoid actually giving up the game.

Then, last night, I made the connection.

I was reading a thread on another board started by this guy saying he was selling an item he sourced from China and didn't really care about sales so much because it was a side hustle he was trying out. Sales were meager and he wasn't pushing it because he had a regular source of income elsewhere.

As long as he could even out his losses in sales he was happy to putter along, fulfilling orders. He did this mainly so he could fine tune his ability to sell so when he started gunning for real, he'd have the process of sourcing, selling and fulfilling down cold. He wasn't even doing any marketing--sales were word of mouth.

Here's where it gets interesting:

He then said that he started noticing 1 and 2 star reviews on his product. It wasn't through anything he did; the then current batch of products weren't constructed very well and some customers weren't happy with it.

He reached out to the supplier in China, squared away the issue, reached out to each and every low rater and offered to both refund and replace the item. He then included that this batch wasn't the best in his sales listings and for those who'd seen the poor reviews and were on the fence about buying from him that he had fixed the flaw issues and if they wanted, he could contact them directly when the next proper batch came in.

He didn't want to go into the red but it was an important lesson in keeping customers happy so he didn't mind. He went to the bank to put some money into his business account to cover the losses from re-fulfilling the orders and was surprised to find he had made 6x what he thought he had.

In the comments following this story, people were either congratulating him for the success or asking questions. The number one question that kept popping up was 'what do you sell that sold that much?'

That's when I realized that when it comes to making money, especially on the ground floor, we're focusing on the wrong thing. They even have a term for what our problem is--shiny object syndrome--and the majority of people don't even realize that they have it.

Truth is, when I read that thread, I knew I was on to something but it didn't really hit home for me. What drove it home for me was this video I watched around 4 this morning from a Youtube channel called 'Fight Mediocrity'; dude's channel has over 500k subs and was getting good views per video. In this video, he was telling the story of how he graducated from college but knew instantly that he didn't want to go into the corporate world being a wage slave.

He wanted to work for himself and do things that he wanted to on the daily and Youtube seemed like the way to go. He started his channel, dropped some videos and they sucked. Not the content (he mainly does summaries of self-dev books), but the traction. It's important to note that most people have been there in one venture or another; they put it out and hear crickets.

Instead of quitting (again, what most people do), he took a look at the channels in his space. He saw a common thread in most of the people talking self-development had either been on Youtube for years or were 10-20 years older than him.

That meant here he was, fresh to the game trying to compete with people with a wealth of knowledge and experience he didn't have. He wasn't going to be successful being just like everyone else so he needed to either be better than his competition some way, or be different.

He retooled and dropped another video. This time sans his face and in place of him talking to the viewer, he would draw images on a whiteboard corresponding to his book summaries. He pushed them to social and soon after got a thousand new followers.

That was all the social proof he needed that he had something worthwhile and he worked to better refine his process. Now he's got a profitable Youtube channel and has the ability to live life on his terms.

To wrap this up, I'll put it like this:

You don't sell hamburgers, you sell a quick, tasty way to beat lunchtime hunger.

You don't sell flower girl dresses, you sell a beautiful once-in-a-lifetime ranch-style wedding.

You don't sell pus*y, you sell controlled pleasure and human interaction. (kidding)

What I'm saying is fu*k the idea of a singular thing selling better than all else; hustle adapts the pitch to the situation and connects with needs and emotions in order to get dumba$s bias out of the way and that money out of their pockets.

Hustle like money doesn't exist. Focus not on the price you sell for, but the value you provide customers and you'll always have business. The best way to get in the game is to either be better, or be unique.

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+8210
Image(s) inside Damn she living like that
125 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props-267
Image(s) inside The difference between a 30 year old in the 80s vs 2024
35 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
logo 🌈⏸️ SHE-Wade confirms he's been a BATTYMON 💅 ..
41 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+345
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop