The 'symmetrical' Note 7 design might be precisely why its batteries were failing

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '04        #1
5232 page views
65 comments

CrAkKedOuT 1040 heat pts1040
space
space
space
$25,357 | Props total: 19723 19723
The 'symmetrical' Note 7 design might be precisely why its batteries were failing

Samsung made the Note 7 with the steepest edge curve it's ever done

The Note 7 employs a lot of "firsts" for Samsung when it comes to the design, but these might be precisely the reason it is catching on fire, and had to be recalled twice now. For instance, Samsung employs the toughest 7000 series aluminum alloy for the frame and the sides - that would make it 1.3 times stronger and 1.2 times more scratch-resistant than the metal which is used for the Galaxy S7. Moreover, in order to leave the widest amount of flat space for the S Pen to draw on, Samsung employed a rare visit this link 3D thermoforming process, producing the steepest "edge" sloping of a curved display it's ever done, as you can see in the drawings here. Not only that, but Samsung bragged that the design is now absolutely "symmetrical," as the glass backplate is sloping towards the metal frame with the same curvature as the display at the front.

Note 7's 'symmetrical' design might be the culprit behind the unorthodox battery plates pressure

The steep glass curve makes the device the narrowest Note ever, even when compared to the first 5.3" one, and the narrowest phone with a 5.7" display, but it also might be precisely why the phone is combusting out of the blue. During the first recall, leaked docs from the Korean consumer protection agency showed that the battery packs made by visit this link Samsung's own SDI subsidiary were slightly larger for their compartment by a hair, and the isolation plates that separate the anode and cathode inside were too close towards the edges, hence prone to collapsing under pressure, short circuiting the battery, and causing thermal runaway. visit this link They also found issues with the packaging of the battery cells, like the insulating tape, which was done by a separate company, as well as the coating of the negative electrode.

While these issues taken separately might not produce the spontaneous combustion that the Note 7 is prone to, in aggregate they present a dangerous combo, especially if there was pressure applied on the isolation plates. Where would that pressure come from? Well, one of the theories seems to be that the culprit is precisely the steepest edge curve Samsung has ever done. The plates are apparently situated towards the edge of the battery, and, when sealing the waterproof phone tight, the pack might be subjected to a pressure that is higher than normal at the wrong end. Coupled with the production faults in the battery packs themselves, this could explain the first recall.

Note 7 battery X-ray shows SDI-made packs with isolation plates too close towards the edge

The second recall is a bit of a mystery, though. While leaked info shows that it is allegedly still a battery issue (duh), the replacement packs were reportedly produced entirely by ATL, hence they shouldn't have sizing, isolation plate, insulation, or negative electrode coating issues. The eventual abnormal pressure from the steeply curved sides remains, though, and that could be the design flaw that ate the Note 7's head. That, or a faulty voltage controller design, or the three weeks timeframe in which Samsung acknowledged the problem, and rushed ATL to produce hundreds of thousands of spare batteries for quick replacement. Well, as the jail writing says, those who are ahead of their time should wait for it at the designated places. In the case of the Note 7, it might very well be in the dustbin of electronics' history.

visit this link http://www.phonearena.com .. ailing_id86474

I know most of this technical wording will go over people's heads so I'm hoping @Partial Reader will help out with the breakdown.

- Post Made From Note 7

Last edited by CrAkKedOuT; 10-15-2016 at 11:14 AM..

65 comments for "The 'symmetrical' Note 7 design might be precisely why its batteries were failing"

2 years ago '09        #2
Tiko377 1979 heat pts1979
space
space
$17,201 | Props total: 12393 12393

2 years ago '05        #3
old head 166 heat pts166
space
space
space
$19,426 | Props total: 17916 17916
RIP to the best smartphone Samsung ever made (-minus the defect)

2 years ago '04        #4
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,592 | Props total: 1008 1008
n*gga on here tried to tell me it wasn't a design flaw that led to this lol

They don't know why it was happening so they blamed the battery the first go round

Then they rushed the replacements and it was still happening then it came out they haven't been able to replicate the explosions in their labs

2 years ago '04        #5
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,555 | Props total: 94 94
 Liquid-Science said

They don't know why it was happening so they blamed the battery the first go round

Then they rushed the replacements and it was still happening then it came out they haven't been able to replicate the explosions in their labs
Yeah, and they really need to figure this out because the S8 has to be absolutely perfect to restore their reputation. I'm sure they're pretty far along in development of it, which makes finding the flaw quickly all the more critical

2 years ago '04        #6
fat_boyy21 329 heat pts329
space
space
$10,028 | Props total: 4091 4091
 Liquid-Science said

I think there's more to it than the design and battery... the production process plays a role as well as quality control. The fact that they're not able to replicate the issue is really bad

2 years ago '04        #7
patt24 53 heat pts53
space
space
$8,000 | Props total: 4193 4193
Still holding on to this sh*t until it explodes.

2 years ago '07        #8
JohnDoe 220 heat pts220
space
space
$12,886 | Props total: 7585 7585
 fat_boyy21 said
I think there's more to it than the design and battery... the production process plays a role as well as quality control. The fact that they're not able to replicate the issue is really bad
Damn thats not good.

2 years ago '15        #9
micropave 2022 heat pts2022
space
space
$8,175 | Props total: 63714 63714
 patt24 said
Still holding on to this sh*t until it explodes.

Would not recommend

2 years ago '16        #10
Teknicks 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,716 | Props total: 18261 18261
 86'd said
RIP to the best smartphone ever made (-minus the defect)

Real talk..

2 years ago '07        #11
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$18,086 | Props total: 5743 5743
I'm not trading it in until it starts smoking..... and I'm flying to Vegas on Tuesday!

2 years ago '05        #12
JealousOnesHate 25 heat pts25
space
space
$14,946 | Props total: 4443 4443
 86'd said
RIP to the best smartphone Samsung ever made (-minus the defect)

i actually held the phone without it being held down at Sprint and without it exploding....and it was the most beautiful phone I have ever held in my hand. I am not a fan of the curved edge but it was so great in the hand.

I hope there is another phone like it made

2 years ago '05        #13
old head 166 heat pts166
space
space
space
$19,426 | Props total: 17916 17916
 wtr1906 said
I'm not trading it in until it starts smoking..... and I'm flying to Vegas on Tuesday!
Good luck...

Banned from all flights permanently

Department of Transportation

2 years ago '04        #14
LilEscobar 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,180 | Props total: 274 274
Still got mine too. Take my chances

2 years ago '04        #15
space
space
space
 WestbankThugBoy said
i actually held the phone without it being held down at Sprint and without it exploding....and it was the most beautiful phone I have ever held in my hand. I am not a fan of the curved edge but it was so great in the hand.

I hope there is another phone like it made
it felt amazing to hold...it's a major reason why I got the Edge instead of switching to an Iphone

once I felt that Edge screen on the Note 7, I can't go back to a phone with a side bezel, yuck

2 years ago '09        #16
stxbreed 
space
space
$2,444 | Props total: 226 226
me and my note ridin till she turn on me...that pus*y good i just cant let her go

2 years ago '04        #17
Budala 420 heat pts420
space
space
$12,621 | Props total: 2347 2347
 wtr1906 said
banned from flights
software updates not coming
accessories will be hard to find

not worth it bruh

2 years ago '07        #18
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
Are they asking to see everybody phone when you go through security? Because I can just turn it off and put it in my laptop bag

2 years ago '04        #19
KREW 28 heat pts28
space
space
$6,369 | Props total: 5551 5551
 wtr1906 said
Are they asking to see everybody phone when you go through security? Because I can just turn it off and put it in my laptop bag
They gonna slap 'terrorist' on your back or put you on the 'no fly' list for life

2 years ago '16        #20
Ldogg310v2 
space
space
space
$1,443 | Props total: 6611 6611
 wtr1906 said
U won't make it past TSA checkpoint......

And they'll confiscate it or cancel your ticket. Your choice

2 years ago '14        #21
HollywoodPK 
space
space
$697 | Props total: 1122 1122
I hope they dont make sh*ttier phones for higher prices like apple just to offset the hit theyre gonna take. But what are the chances of that.��

2 years ago '04        #22
space
space
space
 wtr1906 said
Passengers who try to carry Galaxy Note 7 phones onto flights could have them confiscated and face fines of as much as $180,000, or possible prosecution, if they try to evade the emergency order by hiding them in checked luggage.
Some airline officials said staff wouldnít be checking on what kind of devices passengers had on board and would rely in part on the ban being self-enforced. Airport X-ray machines canít identify individual phone types, officials have said.
So...if you wanna risk it...

2 years ago '05        #23
P-Hill|M 28 heat pts28
space
space
$39,301 | Props total: 16105 16105
 wtr1906 said
Why put other people at risk breh

2 years ago '10        #24
THERETURNOFK2Z 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$5,590 | Props total: 6470 6470
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
 fat_boyy21 said
Not really,,

The issue appears in one out of a few hundred thousand..

The defect rate is .001% if phones... most phones have higher defect rates...

The defect just isn't explosion

2 years ago '07        #25
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
Thanks for the info, I'm just talking sh*t though. My wife already said she is gonna snitch if I try to take the phone. I would never put my wife, my momma and other innocent people at risk. I'm gonna go get the edge

Home      

most viewed right now
+76online now  23
Image(s) inside Haitian KiKY wit dem swangass
66 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+180online now  17
Video inside wife of brazilian billionaire getting pounded out by security [caught o..
422 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
-33online now  14
Video inside BlueFace Allegedly Hooked Up With A Transgender
77 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+37online now  3
Freshly cut meat still has stored energy, adding salt causes spasm :huh: