Oct 10 - Indigenous Peoples' Day Gains Momentum As A Replacement For Columbus Day

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '13        #1
1099 page views
13 comments

batmanwithprep 193 heat pts193
space
space
$10,454 | Props total: 12908 12908
Oct 10 - Indigenous Peoples' Day Gains Momentum As A Replacement For Columbus Day

Olin Tezcatlipoca, left from the Mexica Movement marches with other demonstrators to a statue of Christopher Columbus during a protest against Columbus Day in Grand Park, Los Angeles, last year.

The state of Vermont and the cities of Denver and Phoenix joined the growing list of places celebrating Native Americans on the federal holiday named for Christopher Columbus.

Since visit this link Columbus Day 2015 at least 14 communities in the United States have passed measures designating the second Monday in October Indigenous Peoples Day.

The changes build on recent efforts to shift the day's focus from the Italian explorer, beginning in big cities including Seattle, Minneapolis and Albuquerque, and spreading to counties and school districts.

"Indigenous Peoples Day represents a shift in consciousness," said Dr. Leo k*llsback, a citizen of the Northern Cheyenne Nation and a*sistant professor of American Indian Studies at Arizona State University.

"It acknowledges that indigenous peoples and their voices are important in today's conversations."

Navajo artist Klee Benally leads a protest in support of Indigenous Peoples Day in Flagstaff, Arizona, in March.

_____
What does it mean?

The movement is part of broader attempts to clarify the Italian explorer's role in American history.

Historians visit this link largely agree that he did not "discover" the Americas because people were already there; nor was he the first European to reach the "New World." He sailed around the Caribbean, enslaving the people of present-day Haiti, bringing violence and disease to the region and decimating the population. He opened up the Americas to European settlement at the expense of the indigenous population, paving the way for the European slave trade.

"One of the biggest misconceptions about Columbus is that he was righteous. The truth is that he was wicked and responsible for the r*pe and murder of innocent indigenous people," said k*llsback, who was part of the movement to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day in Phoenix.

"We should question why we as Americans continue to celebrate him without knowing the true history of his legacy, and why a holiday was created in the first place. He never landed in the USA," he said.

_____
Do you have to go to work?

In most places, Indigenous Peoples Day does not replace Columbus Day or make it a paid holiday if it was not already one. Only visit this link 23 states and Washington recognize it as a paid holiday for state workers.

The change makes Vermont the latest state to ditch Columbus Day and make it about the people he encountered after crossing the ocean blue, following South Dakota, which has celebrated Native American Day instead of Columbus Day since 1990.

Gov. Peter Sumlin's visit this link proclamation renames the holiday and encourages "all Vermonters to recognize the sacrifice and contributions of the First Peoples of this land." But it's not a paid holiday there and there's nothing stopping local governments or communities from holding their own Columbus Day celebrations.

The change is slightly different from Alaska, which adopted Indigenous Peoples Day in 2015, in the sense that the state never celebrated Columbus Day. Same goes for Hawaii, which has always celebrated visit this link Discovers' Day in honor of the Polynesian explorers who colonized the Hawaiian islands, instead of Columbus.

_____
Not just in America

It's not just happening in the United States. A group of left-wing city council members in Barcelona called for the city to remove a 196-foot statue of Christopher Columbus in one of its most heavily trafficked intersections as part of a proposal to strike the October 12 national holiday and return it to a regular working day.

Council member María José Lecha González said public commemoration of Columbus glorifies colonialism and imperialism, and called the holiday a "mockery" of the genocide of the indigenous population.

The proposal failed to garner enough votes to pass after being submitted to the Barcelona city council in September. But González said that simply raising the issue was an important step -- especially in the country that sponsored Columbus' voyage.

"For a week, this proposal and these matters and the questions [they] raised, have been in the media, and they have been on the streets, and they reached many other places that they hadn't reached before."

_____
Opposition continues

The support is far from universal. In Oklahoma City, home to one of the nation's largest Native American populations, for the second year in a row city leaders visit this link rejected a proposal to celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day. So did the Cincinnati City Council, through visit this link five abstentions and four votes in favor.

Nor does it mean an end to Columbus Day celebrations in communities that adopted Indigenous Peoples Day.

In Denver, an annual Columbus Day parade sponsored by the Order Sons of Italy Lodge No. 2075 continued as planned on Saturday, visit this link sparking a counter-demonstration that drew hundreds of people.

"They tell us we're going to to have indigenous day and be happy," Kenny Frost of the Southern Ute tribe visit this link told the Denver Post. "No. We're going to take the whole cake."

visit this link Source

13 comments for "Oct 10 - Indigenous Peoples' Day Gains Momentum As A Replacement For Columbus Day"

2 years ago '16        #2
ahonui06 1663 heat pts1663
space
space
$39,219 | Props total: 79364 79364
I'm native Hawaiian; an indigenous people and I don't give a fu*k what you call it as long as I maintain my Monday off from work.

2 years ago '13        #3
SimpinAintEz 
space
space
$15,773 | Props total: 24686 24686
Good for them. It sickens me that I was taught to praise Christopher Columbus before I was old enough to think for myself and learn the truth. The man was a repulsive, dishonorable, and disgusting piece of sh*t. He was a child rapist, murderer, and a vicious enslaver.

Every statue of his likeness should be destroyed and there should be a formal apology administered to indigenous people and the American public from the powers that erected them in the first place.

2 years ago '15        #4
AROD MONEY 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,636 | Props total: 15494 15494
Italians gonna make this difficult

2 years ago '16        #5
foshoVoodoo 247 heat pts247
space
space
$14,941 | Props total: 35183 35183
about mf time

2 years ago '16        #6
Aztlan 86 heat pts86
space
space
$11,683 | Props total: 30415 30415
 AROD MONEY said
Italians gonna make this difficult
They're washed up now. Aint sh*t they can do about it.

You got Mexicans and all types of people making Italian food now, put a fork in em!!!!

fu*k Cristobal Colon!!!!!

2 years ago '12        #7
Di Warlord 8 heat pts
space
space
$12,647 | Props total: 16070 16070
Italians mad but they forget he didn't sail under their flag

even Italians in Italy don't give a sh*t about this guy, just these literally weird guys that claim Italy but don't speak the language... I'm black and would probably have them like if I started speaking Italian to em. You know how many American chicks I check that claim Italian with that sh*t? "oh my grandfathers parents came to America" you're as American as apple pie at that point

I like how Columbus gets viewed as a demon, which is true, but we ignore the Pilgrims and other future European settlers

Columbus was bad but he planted the seed that the rest watered and cared for

2 years ago '12        #8
Gramz 818 heat pts818
space
space
$20,610 | Props total: 21983 21983

2 years ago '16        #9
Funke 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,171 | Props total: 3380 3380
Thats why they on breakfast club..hmmm hope they change that.

2 years ago '10        #10
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
space
$25,423 | Props total: 8818 8818

2 years ago '13        #11
batmanwithprep 193 heat pts193 OP
space
space
$10,454 | Props total: 12908 12908
You all should check this out:

[pic - click to view]

Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy was not) -- The Oatmeal

[pic - click to view]

2 years ago '14        #12
Hightimes219 
space
space
$1,498 | Props total: 1940 1940
Only christopher we acknowledge is wallace!

2 years ago '13        #13
SimpinAintEz 
space
space
$15,773 | Props total: 24686 24686
 Di Warlord said
Italians mad but they forget he didn't sail under their flag

even Italians in Italy don't give a sh*t about this guy, just these literally weird guys that claim Italy but don't speak the language... I'm black and would probably have them like if I started speaking Italian to em. You know how many American chicks I check that claim Italian with that sh*t? "oh my grandfathers parents came to America" you're as American as apple pie at that point

I like how Columbus gets viewed as a demon, which is true, but we ignore the Pilgrims and other future European settlers

Columbus was bad but he planted the seed that the rest watered and cared for
Umm I highly doubt anyone that views Christopher Columbus as a "demon" outright ignores the Pilgrims and those who followed behind them. In fact, I'd say those people are precisely the ones who would single them out as well.

Don't really follow your logic there. If anything, it would be the people who were UNAWARE of how vile Columbus was that would deny or be ignorant of the transgressions of the Pilgrims and their ilk.

Home      

most viewed right now
+180online now  20
Video inside wife of brazilian billionaire getting pounded out by security [caught o..
422 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+76online now  19
Image(s) inside Haitian KiKY wit dem swangass
66 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
-33online now  15
Video inside BlueFace Allegedly Hooked Up With A Transgender