Sep 12 - ACLU to Newark: Stop arresting city's prostitutes

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
31 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 years ago '16        #1
294 page views
7 comments

Realfreesmoke  122 heat pts122
space
space
$4,589   Props total: 8904 8904
Sep 12 - ACLU to Newark: Stop arresting city's prostitutes

NEWARK The New Jersey ACLU is slamming the city's police department for a sting operation that netted 13 prostitution-related arrests this weekend, arguing that the department is wasting its time targeting "consenting" adults.

The arrests, according to a lengthy statement from ACLU-NJ Executive Director Udi Ofer, "raise concerns yet again about Newark's embrace of failed and destructive 'Broken Windows' policing strategies."

"Using our criminal justice system to harass, arrest and incarcerate consenting adults who agree to exchange s*x for money is a poor use of the NPD's limited resources," he said.

The ACLU has long been critical of the Newark department's policing tactics. The lobbying group filed the complaint that launched a three-year federal investigation into the department. The resulting Department of Justice report prompted a consent decree calling for sweeping reforms, and an independent monitor overseeing the changes.

13 charged in prostitution sting
13 charged in prostitution sting
Police say arrests came after complaints in the Clinton Avenue area

Ofer further criticized the weekend arrests involving "low level offenses" like prostitution, saying that quality of life enforcement is the opposite of the "community policing" strategies officers should be focusing on.

"These arrests harm public health by stigmatizing s*x workers and making their lives more difficult and dangerous," Ofer said in the statement.

"These crackdowns harm public safety by stoking fear of police among s*x workers, dissuading vulnerable communities from reaching out to police to report abuses."

The ACLU has been advocating for the de-criminalization of prostitution in New Jersey. But, top officials at the police department rejected the notion.

City Department of Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose said in a statement to NJ Advance Media that the department enforces all laws.

"I can't tell the police personnel to turn their heads and to selectively enforce certain statues, laws and ordinances," Ambrose said. "We address all complaints received in my office or by my officers regardless of whether they are minor or serious."

And, while he said the police department is working with other city agencies to combat the root causes that drive people become involved in drug and s*x crimes, he said he cannot ignore criminal activity once it occurs.

"Most of the complaints received at my office are from the residents of Newark are for quality of life complaints (like) prostitution, where s*x acts are occurring in vehicles in front of their homes," Ambrose said.

"It would be irresponsible for the police to ignore these complaints."

best
worst
7 comments

3 years ago '07        #2
Ham Rove  3541 heat pts3541
space
space
$58,568   Props total: 36002 36002

3 years ago '12        #3
Outcast Outlaw 
space
space
$2,004   Props total: 4548 4548
one of the dudes i used to work with got arrested in newark for chasing them prostitutes :jtlol:

3 years ago '16        #4
Realfreesmoke  122 heat pts122 OP
space
space
 Outcast Outlaw said
one of the dudes i used to work with got arrested in newark for chasing them prostitutes :jtlol:
i hope he got himself checked or realize alotta of them arent really women or setting n*ggas (mostly outsiders) up :jtlol:

3 years ago '12        #5
Outcast Outlaw 
space
space
 Liilhockeymask said
i hope he got himself checked or realize alotta of them arent really women or setting n*ggas (mostly outsiders) up :jtlol:
me and my friend would clown on him because he was heavily into them prostitutes

homeboy def had std's

3 years ago '16        #6
space
space
 Outcast Outlaw said
me and my friend would clown on him because he was heavily into them prostitutes

homeboy def had std's
he most likely do and most likely fu*ked with a tranny and probably didnt know it or did and didnt care and probably got finessed a couple times

Last edited by Realfreesmoke; 09-13-2016 at 10:21 AM..

3 years ago '12        #7
Outcast Outlaw 
space
space
 Liilhockeymask said
he most likely do and most likely fu*ked with a tranny and probably didnt know it or did and didnt care
funny you say that, during lunch break he was showing me the site and he was like "yo they got everything on this site, girls, trannys, sh*t i'll fu*k all of them if i had the time"

3 years ago '16        #8
space
space
 Outcast Outlaw said
funny you say that, during lunch break he was showing me the site and he was like "yo they got everything on this site, girls, trannys, sh*t i'll fu*k all of them if i had the time"

yeah he was one of those

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+471online now  61
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
220 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  45
Image(s) inside REAL LIFE EPIDEMIC: CORPORATE AMERICA Is Now EXPLOTING BLACKS GANG CUL..
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+213online now  34
Video inside Cam'ron With Freestyle of the Year "Was Gonna Take My Ex Back, I seen H..
117 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+75online now  21
Cousin Skeeter/One On One Actor Reveals He's A CRIP, Busts Out Flag
203 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy