Mar 23 - Mya Speaks on growing up BI-Racial In DC

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside ShawtyLo's Daughter Is Pissed That people posted ShawtyLo Wake Pics On..
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
MMA Conor McGregor has another big announcement
20 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shawty Lo at wake
193 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Meek Mill accepts The Games's fight challenge
113 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12 years ago '04        #1
6948 pageviews
34 comments

Darkside 
space
space
$744 | Props total: 0 0
Mar 23 - Mya Speaks on growing up BI-Racial In DC

R&B STAR MYA TELLS WHAT IT WAS LIKE GROWING UP IN AN URBAN NEIGHBORHOOD AS A BIRACIAL CHILD.

"I grew up just outside Washington and, with my dad being African American and my mother being Caucasian, I was teased about my ethnic background. I'd avoid going anywhere with them because I knew I'd get stared at all the time. When we all went shopping together the kids used to call me 'zebra' or 'newspaper'. I tried to laugh with them, but it still really hurt. When I was seven I transferred to a predominantly black school, and then I really noticed the problem. I was skinny, shy, mixed race and had very curly hair, and people used to call me 'Afro puff'' or 'Hairy Harrison' and no-one stood up for me 'cause everyone wanted to be accepted. I stopped letting my mom do my hair ' cause she used to make it even more bushy.

In America, everything is black or white: people used to ask me which one I would rather be. I got teased for so many things I began to accept it. I thought this was just how life would be from now on. I started to write in a journal almost every night. Months later I would read it again and found I was repeating the same things over and over: how I wished I could be famous so that everyone would like me, how I longed for straight hair. I spoke to my parents about the problems I was having and they'd always tell me I was beautiful, but because I was hearing something different from the kids I felt my parents were lying to me to get me to shut up. I stopped going to them for help 'cause I just didn't believe them.

The worst moment came when I was about 11. This guy was making fun of me on the bus after school, saying 'Hairy Harrison, you afro puff, your hair's too curly'. He started messing with my hair and pulling it really hard, and when we got off the bus, I turned around and hit him. We started f!ghting with everyone watching us! Funnily enough the f!ght kind of helped, 'cause people said I really kicked his behind! Violence is never the answer, but being teased can drive you to do crazy things, and if you're not careful you can wind up in jail. You have to find positive outlets like sport, so your energy is dedicated into hitting a ball instead of someone else's face. That's why I'm so good at tap dancing: I'm thinking of all those people when I'm stomping the floor!

By the age of 12 I was dancing with TWA (Tappers With Attitude). We were multi-cultural kids performing for major audiences, even studying in New York with tap legends. At 14 I developed a solo tap career, teaching kids. I also made money from drawing portraits of kids in my class, and I grew to be accepted-I wasn't the teen queen or anything, but I was a little more popular. It wasn't until I got into high school that I appreciated who I was. All the things I'd done to isolate myself- draw or sing to myself, or dance in the basement- developed into talent.

I'm now involved with Secret To Self Esteem, an organization dedicated to helping young girls become strong women, where we give tips on dealing with stress and developing a positive body image. There's a symposium every year of around 300 girls, and I'll even read to them from my journal. They totally relate to how I never had a boyfriend, and how on Valentine's Day I hated going to school 'cause I'd see all the girls walking around with flowers and teddy bears. We all come in different shapes, colors and sizes, and you can't define beauty from the outside. As I always say, you can only get to where you want to go if you remember where you came from."

PICS OF MYA AND HER FATHER, HAJJI HARRISON

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

34 comments for "Mar 23 - Mya Speaks on growing up BI-Racial In DC"

03-23-2005, 09:09 AM         #2
ChAtURanGa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
mya sure is smiling hard in those pics...
 03-23-2005, 09:11 AM         #3
lildut1213 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man lil kids can be hurtful, glad she turned out to be a dime to show them somethin
 12 years ago '04        #4
MainEv3nt|M 21 heat pts21
space
space
$21,273 | Props total: 8 8
all those kids who made it really regret it now she blew up made alot of money and is s3xy...

i would neva made fun of her lol...
 03-23-2005, 10:04 AM         #5
I3Baller 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
she can def. get it
 03-23-2005, 10:04 AM         #6
CHRONIC2oo3 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh no she was teased when she was young... where is my violin, I must play a song
 03-23-2005, 10:37 AM         #7
Lake 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i'm bi-racial too but i didnt have it that bad . she grew up to be good lookin and so did i. haha
 12 years ago '05        #8
mattdogg444 
space
space
$14,214 | Props total: 78 78
man id stick it too that bi*ch like crazy....
 12 years ago '04        #9
orv 
space
space
$3,487 | Props total: 29 29
Yeah... Kids aren't nice to mulatto's until High School... So it seems...
 03-23-2005, 04:18 PM         #10
Young Millz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i didn't know her moms is caucasian
 12 years ago '04        #11
BackBlock_OG 32 heat pts32
space
space
$6,786 | Props total: 362 362
What age did she become a freak?
 03-23-2005, 04:30 PM         #12
DilatedMan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man she never had a boyfriend?
 12 years ago '04        #13
Antman187 
space
space
space
$852 | Props total: 33 33
I'd beat the shyt out them guts
 03-23-2005, 07:27 PM         #14
Yung Mike 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
id cram
 12 years ago '04        #15
Da Truth Spitta 
space
space
$1,413 | Props total: 3 3
I love when the people that catch hell growing up get to rub it all in the faces of the teasers. Learn something new everyday. (By the way, she could catch it from me anytime.)
 12 years ago '04        #16
BunDLeZ 
space
space
$3,242 | Props total: 0 0
LMAO Her popz looks like Freaky Zeeky in tha 1st pic
 03-23-2005, 10:34 PM         #17
ADrake22 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
damn..... she STILL look s3xy as hell.... i wonder which section of dc she grew up in??? probably SE or NE (my DC n*ggaz know what i mean)....
 12 years ago '04        #18
nat1ve 
space
space
$225 | Props total: 5 5
damn her a.ss da bomb, Id bend that hooch over anyday,( sorry I mean Lady)
 03-23-2005, 10:58 PM         #19
TaXeS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah its crazy how people can just change...i'll break her dou...
 12 years ago '04        #20
#RAPTORSWON 222 heat pts222
space
space
space
$21,443 | Props total: 1184 1184
Id stick it in er bum
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Major key galore
44 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX Detectives!!! Come Praise the Lord
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
MLB Most Talented Baseball player you've since since the turn of the century?
85 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Kid Cudi - Surfin' ft. Pharrell Williams
73 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside 50 Cent - Ooouuu (Remix) ft. Young M.A
173 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Suicide Squad Just Notched Another Box Office Win Over Rival Marvel S..
56 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside 2K17 AI Double Team Cheese Out of Control?
53 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Philly rapper Quilly gets chain snatched at Mcdonalds
126 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy