Everything A Lifter Should Know [No Conversation]

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ashley Olsen = Yes | Mary-Kate Olsen = No
91 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ray-j launches the Scoot-E-Bike , is it the successor to the hoverboard?
70 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Meek Mill's Philly Goon Tony Rose Calls Out The Game & Wack100 For Touc..
111 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Maino Responds to Wack100! Questions his gangsta..
160 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-14-2005, 02:22 PM         #1
18179 pageviews
74 comments

5ive_Micz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Everything A Lifter Should Know [No Conversation]

I know it's alotta sh*t to read but it contains VERY valuable info

props to Gol4pro from Muscle&Fitness.com's boards for making this, everything you should know is right here, read & learn :D (don't mind the numbers, I left some board-related info out)

1) you cannot just do ab work and expect a six-pack. you need to shed bodyfat in order to see muscle definition, which is what a sixpack is. get your diet and training in order

2) creatine is creatine. just buy plain creatine monohydrate and be done with it. if you fall for ad-hype, you are a fool. its your money, do what you want. but smart people know better.

3) do heavy basic compound movements. squats, deadlifts and bench presses are a must in any training split. do them or be doomed forever to being small and weak.

4) always ease into anything you do. if you want to gain muscle, you need to slowly increase your overall calories. if you want to cut fat, you need to slowly cut back calories a little at a time. the human body does not like drastic changes. just jumping into a 5 day cardio regimen is stupid as well. again, do some research and learn something.

5) food is your best friend. any problems you have with training or dieting is 99% of the time diet related. if you dont eat, you will not make any progress gaining or cutting. nobody needs supplements. they are designed as a "supplement" to an already solid diet. if your diet sucks, theres not a supp in the world that will help you. learn how to make progress with food alone, and then play with supps.

7) muscle will never turn into fat. people always say this, and if you really think about it, it just sounds ####in stupid. they arent even remotely close in molecular makeup and it can never ever happen.

8) speaking of fat, you CANNOT spot reduce bodyfat. if you have big saggy man-boobies, there is no chest exercise that can make them go away. you can bench press all day long, and you will still have big droopy man-t*ts until you lose bodyfat. if you have a fat a.ss, lunges and squats will not make it lean. get that out of your head right now.

9) train more than your chest and arms. if you want muscle, you need balance. train your back, shoulders and legs along with your arms and chest for complete development.

11) HIGH REPS DO NOT GET YOU "CUT". they just get you tired. low to moderate reps (5-12) is the range you should shoot for. everyone is different, but everyone will most likely see the best size and strength gains if they stay in this range. also, dont change your routine just because you are going from a bulking phase to a cutting phase. keep doing what got you there. keep lifting heavy and going to failure. higher rep ranges do nothing but maybe build endurance. uh, who needs endurance for bicep curls? im guessing noone does.

12) UTILIZE PYRAMID TRAINING. a pyramid routine is a multi set routine that increases in weight each set and decreases in reps. this is part of the progressive overload theory, and should be utilized by anyone wanting to gain strength and size. why would anyone use the same weight for the same reps set after set? they shouldnt. why would your central nervous system recruit more muscle fibers each set if you dont up the weight? it wont. youll just be spinning your wheels.

13) ALWAYS TRAIN THE LARGE MUSCLES FIRST. if you combine muscle groups like many people do (chest/tris-back/bis), always train the larger muscle group first and completely. dont do any tricep work until your chest work is finished, unless you want a sh*tty chest workout. your tris help your chest pressing movements, and your bis help your back rowing movements. bis and tris are much smaller than your back and chest, so it makes no sense to have them fail before your larger muscles do.

14) CREATINE WILL NOT MAKE YOU "BLOATED". this is a stupid myth, and i dont know where it came from. if anything, it will dry you out. creatine causes the muscle cells to absorb as much water as possible. im not going to get into how it works, but it will make your muscles look fuller and you will gain some weight from the muscular water retention. notice, i said MUSCULAR water retention. you will not hold water subcutaneously (under the skin) because of creatine. if you are retaining water subcutaneously, you have other issues and most likely your diet needs help.

-- Basically, if you are retaining water, you need to drink more of it. If you drink 1 gallon and you still retain water, up it to 2. Just make sure you drink enough.

15) YOUR DIET IS THE ANSWER. almost all training problems stem from an improper diet. you can lift weights and do cardio all day, but if your diet is ####, you will make NO progress. whether you are cutting or bulking, your diet will make or break you. there are many variables in different peoples diet strategies, but one thing remains constant: always get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight daily. if you weigh 200 pounds, you need to eat at least 200 grams of protein daily. the best way to do that is to split it up over 5 or 6 meals. thats right kids, you need to eat frequently when cutting or bulking.

16) EAT THE SAME EVERYDAY. many people wonder if they need to eat on non-training days like they eat on training days. the answer? hell yes. your body only grows and repairs itself when its NOT IN THE GYM. time spent in the gym is actually counterproductive to what most of us are after. training is highly catabolic, but we need to do it, and the only thing that can change that is food and rest. it all starts with the post-workout protein shake. from there, it goes to the post-workout meal. then, how you eat and rest will play a huge role in how efficiently you heal and grow. training breaks the muscle down, eating and resting rebuild and repair it hopefully bigger and stronger.

17) DONT RELY ON SUPPLEMENTS. supplements are just that, a supplement. they are to be used in conjunction with an already solid diet. if you base your nutrition on supplements instead of real food, be prepared to spend a lot of money and get minimal results. nothing matches the nutritional content of whole food.

18) CARDIO CAN DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD. going crazy with cardio is not a good idea. if you need to shed fat, get your diet in order first. cardio is highly catabolic, and if done improperly, your body will burn muscle instead of fat for fuel. thats never a good thing. but, the real problem with cardio is that its highly individual. nothing works the same for different people. cardio is a necessary evil, so you might as well do it right. experiment and find out which type and duration of cardio works for you. there is a very fine line between melting fat and burning valuable muscle. find that line, and stay on the good side of it. theres nothing worse looking than a skinny fat guy. but still, diet is the key.

19) DONT BE AFRAID OF FREE-WEIGHTS. they are your friend. they will hurt you, and make you feel inadequate, but they really just want to help. nothing, and i mean nothing, builds mass and overall strength like basic free-weight exercises. squats, deadlifts and bench presses should be staples of everyones workouts. with free-weights, you are forced to balance and control the weight under your own power. a machine does that for you and does nothing for developing core and stabilizer strength. if you can bench 200 on a machine, that rarely equates to 200 on the flat barbell bench press. if you think you can handle it, make sure you have a few spotters handy. you will not be able to do it.

20) DO SOME RESEARCH AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE. i know most of you just want a quick and simple answer to your questions, but try finding it on your own. youll learn and understand so much more if you do your own research. common sense is really lacking these days. especially in the fitness industry. myths and misinformation run rampant through our gyms and lockerrooms. dont just take everything at face value. chances are, its wrong. use your own thought process and gather the necessary info to make your own educated judgements

hm, txt is too long for 1 post, pt. 2 coming up

Last edited by 5ive_Micz; 03-14-2005 at 02:25 PM..

74 comments for "Everything A Lifter Should Know [No Conversation]"

03-14-2005, 02:24 PM         #2
5ive_Micz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1) DESIGN YOUR OWN ROUTINE. Don't take some POS routine out of a magazine making ridiculous claims (no offense RHC), but it is much easier to design your own routine, and to keep yourself from being bored on it. When you design your own routine, it ensures that you will enjoy it.

2) DEFINE YOUR GOALS. What do you want? Mass? Strenght? Power? Weight Loss? Your routine is 100% dependent on your goals. Custom design your routine to fit your goals.

3) KNOW YOUR REP AND SET RANGE.
>5 reps= strength
6-8 reps= Mass, strength
8-10= Some strength, some mass, some endurance
10-15= Endurance

12-15 sets= Large muscle groups (i.e. legs, back, chest, etc)
6-10 sets= Small muscle groups (i.e. Biceps, triceps, calves, etc.)

4) DESIGN YOUR DIET AROUND YOUR GOALS. This has been discussed a large number of times. If you want to lose weight, gradually cut calories so you lose weight. If you want to gain weight, gradually add calories so you gain weight, this is not complicated!

5) LIFT WITH INTENSITY. Everyday, we see people half-assing life, just going through the motions. You will never get anywhere if you don't put your mind into it. Just the other day, I managed 20lbs more than usual on the bench, just because I held better posture AND put my mind into it. EVERY WORKOUT MIGHT BE YOUR LAST, MAKE THE MOST OF IT! Plus, if you lift hard, you will make gains.

6) REST IS IMPORTANT. Always allow 72 hours between hitting a muscle, and then the next time you hit it. Also, at least 8 hours of sleep is important because your body grows the most when you are sleeping. It's mostly what you do outside of the gym that is important, not what you do inside the gym. Most good 5-day splits hit each muscle once a week, with abs and calves 2x a week.

7) A WHEY PROTEIN POWDER IS A MUST. Some may disagree here, I actually disagree with myself, but this is of utter importance. Post workout, the body needs a fast-dissolving protein, and a few simple carbs. Whey is a fast-dissolving protein, and milk has enough simple carbs to make your body happy. It's a no brainer. My recommendation on this is ON's 100% Whey protein. Cheap, taste good, good protein blend.

8) EAT AT LEAST 6 MEALS A DAY. Your body likes it when your nutrients are fed gradually. The more consistent the timing of your meals, and the more consistent the nutrients fed to your body at each meal, the better. Just do it and don't ask questions.

9) TRAIN EVERYTHING. Don't be that guy. You know, the moron that does BB curls in the squat station, the idiot that does an hour of Bench press and then an hour of alternating DB curls and also has 20'' quads... yeah, don't be that guy. Train your legs, back, shoulders, calves, forearms, arms, abs, chest.... everything! Your body will only grow in proportion with itself, so you must train it to do so.

10) LIFTING IS HARD WORK; THIS IS NOT A HOBBY, IT'S A LIFE STYLE. Honestly, there's no easy way out in lifting. If there was, someone would have found it by now and they would be rich as hell.

11) THERE IS NO PERFECT TRAINING ROUTINE; switch every 8-12 weeks. What training routines work best for you is definitely different than what works for me. You have to learn about yourself, and how your body responds to different routines. You will find one that you like, and you can go back to that if you are in a slump, but you have to switch your routine every 12 weeks at the bare minimum.

12) LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you're body does not feel ready, because it will physically hurt to lift, don't lift. Obviously, everyone has moments of laziness, but if you really think it will hurt to lift, don't lift. Always allow more than enough recovery time from injury as well. AND DO NOT OVERTRAIN. Overtraining is bad, just leave it at that. No more than 15 sets for big muscles, 10 for little ones.
 12 years ago '98        #3
ronnie|A 10 heat pts10
space
space
$29,983 | Props total: 557 557
Good post. I'm gonna sticky this.
 12 years ago '04        #4
space
space
$6,172 | Props total: 100 100
8) speaking of fat, you CANNOT spot reduce bodyfat. if you have big saggy man-boobies, there is no chest exercise that can make them go away. you can bench press all day long, and you will still have big droopy man-t*ts until you lose bodyfat. if you have a fat a.ss, lunges and squats will not make it lean. get that out of your head right now.

aww sh*t i got some little t*tties i gotta lose haha....i didnt think about it that way. so its basically the same sh*t as if you wanna get abs? lose the fat first and then you'll lose the t*ts?

11) HIGH REPS DO NOT GET YOU "CUT".

so what does get you cut? everyone including pro trainers have told me, do higher reps of lower weight and thats how you get cut. then someone on here said the exact opposite. so im a lil confused bout that

Last edited by 123456; 03-16-2005 at 12:38 AM..
 03-16-2005, 03:12 AM         #5
5ive_Micz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yup....t*ts & gut are nothing but fat, so you'll have to lose fat in order to lose em

and about the HIGH REPS DO NOT GET YOU "CUT" thing:
i think it means that doing JUST high reps don't get you cut, like if you're fat you can do as many high reps as you want but you'll have to include cardio into your routine and eat a lil healthier in order to get cut
 03-16-2005, 03:54 PM         #6
Escrow 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kakoden said:
yeah good post but damned if that whey stuff don't taste sh*tty.....does the milk based type work the same way?

You can use milk or water......milk will give it a little better flavor and a little more protein(but you body can only handle about 40G's of protein during an intake*can someone confirm this).
 12 years ago '04        #7
CandyBlueRider 
space
space
space
$196 | Props total: 0 0
Whey is digested pretty fast, but yea over 40 and you will probably start feelin gassy. Also, If you take in more protein than your body needs it will be stored as fat. As mentioned in the first post, Optimal Nutrition makes a really good whey protein, the chocolate tastes good even with water. It's 23g protein a serving.
 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM         #8
Marcus Ragnos 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Quick question, I weightlift 4 days a week (school weeks) I have done this for about 2 months. I focus on my upper body, but I don't normally weightlifting that affects my legs, but I walk for hours everyweek, do the hours of powerwalking cut it?
 03-24-2005, 05:24 PM         #9
Marcus Ragnos 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Also everyone that knew me b4 the 2 months thinks I look way bigger without telling them I workout.
 11 years ago '04        #10
DJWho 
space
space
$1,309 | Props total: 1 1
how many days a week should i work on my legs i will do my legs like monday than i feel that sh*t for like 3 damn days when i say feel i mean like i cant run right cause my sh*t hurt do u thing im over working them?
 04-03-2005, 04:17 PM         #11
5ive_Micz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^ i do every muscle group only once a week, that should be enough
i know that the 1st two times I trained my legs i walked around like i was missing a chromosome for 3 days straight but it goes away when your legs get more used to being fried
i usually do 4 exercises for legs, for sets per exercise, 6-8 reps (xcept for calves, i do 15-20 reps)
but I hate training legs so i gotta admit i skip em on the regular :D don;t care too much for them, i don't have chicken legs so it's nothing to worry about
 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM         #12
HeavyStarch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I use GNC and to mix it i actually heat up a little water and add hot chocolate with a scoop of protein. the sh*t actually tastes good, i would drink it even if i didnt help me. **make sure not to heat up the water to much, otherwise the protein will go all crazy. i'd say a little more than luke warm is fine
 11 years ago '04        #13
ClokWoRk ORaNge 
space
space
$1,873 | Props total: 15 15
great read micz, u helped me out.. u think u could ever make a thread with dietting tips if u want to get cut, and a thread with dietting tips or maybe even meal plans if u want to gain muscle mass? the college life be sh*tting on my diet... inconsistent as hell.

Last edited by ClokWoRk ORaNge; 04-03-2005 at 10:34 PM..
 11 years ago '98        #14
ronnie|A 10 heat pts10
space
space
$29,983 | Props total: 557 557
I dont know about # 17 personally... my face always looks puffy on creatine!!
 05-04-2005, 07:04 PM         #15
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CandyBlueRider said:
If you take in more protein than your body needs it will be stored as fat.
This is wrong... Excess protein can never be stored as fat... The molecular structures of the two aren't even remotely alike... Excess protein gets flushed out of your system, nuthin more... If you go waaay overboard, your kidneys won't be able to keep up and might get damaged...

This list is good tho... Matter fact, this should be printed out an posted on the front door of every gym...
 05-04-2005, 07:13 PM         #16
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 123456 said:
so what does get you cut? everyone including pro trainers have told me, do higher reps of lower weight and thats how you get cut. then someone on here said the exact opposite. so im a lil confused bout that
'Cut' is only a term describing a physical state where you have low bodyfat and visible muscle... There is no 'cut' or 'bulky' muscle, only low and high bodyfat percentages paired wit little or much muscle tissue...

To get cut, you need to lose fat and retain or build muscle... Losing fat is done through cardio and building muscle is best acheived in a rep range of 6-12 reps... When you start doing 15+ reps per set, you're only working your slow-twitch fibers, which have less growth potential than the fast-twitch fibers that are stimulated through lower reps... Thus, high reps are not beneficial for 'cutting'...

EDIT: This list is good too tho... Another one for posting in the gyms... Good job...

Last edited by Daddy's Home...; 05-04-2005 at 07:14 PM..
 11 years ago '04        #17
bibbyboi 24 heat pts24
space
space
$10,513 | Props total: 1076 1076
 5ive_Micz said:
1) DESIGN YOUR OWN ROUTINE. Don't take some POS routine out of a magazine making ridiculous claims (no offense RHC), but it is much easier to design your own routine, and to keep yourself from being bored on it. When you design your own routine, it ensures that you will enjoy it.
Thats not true and you shouldnt tell newbies that...newbies should follow some sort of routine...then as they advance look into more advanced routines...

5ive_Micz said:
12-15 sets= Large muscle groups (i.e. legs, back, chest, etc)
6-10 sets= Small muscle groups (i.e. Biceps, triceps, calves, etc.)
Once again not necessarily true..actually for me thats way too many sets for the large muscle groups...and 6 is the very most id ever do for the smaller groups...

5ive_Micz said:
7) A WHEY PROTEIN POWDER IS A MUST. Some may disagree here, I actually disagree with myself, but this is of utter importance. Post workout, the body needs a fast-dissolving protein, and a few simple carbs. Whey is a fast-dissolving protein, and milk has enough simple carbs to make your body happy. It's a no brainer. My recommendation on this is ON's 100% Whey protein. Cheap, taste good, good protein blend.
Its not a must..but it does make things easier...

5ive_Micz said:
11) THERE IS NO PERFECT TRAINING ROUTINE; switch every 8-12 weeks. What training routines work best for you is definitely different than what works for me. You have to learn about yourself, and how your body responds to different routines. You will find one that you like, and you can go back to that if you are in a slump, but you have to switch your routine every 12 weeks at the bare minimum.
No...DC training works forever.... :)
 06-30-2005, 12:55 AM         #18
KeyKey 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
3) do heavy basic compound movements. squats, deadlifts and bench presses are a must in any training split. do them or be doomed forever to being small and weak.
I do squats and bench press but are deadlifts really needed? I dont see too many people doin them at my gym
 11 years ago '05        #19
yujiro1982 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,755 | Props total: 3 3
this is a good exercise routine it helped me alot so try using this format in the gym
two months and i already been at the best shape eversince.......forever lol!

DAY ONE

Quadriceps

Midrange: Squats 2 x 8 - 10
Stretch: Sissy Squats 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Leg Extensions 1 - 2 x 8 - 10

Hamstrings

Midrange & Stretch: Stiff legged dead lift 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Lying leg curls 1 - 2 x 8 - 10

Calves (Gastrocnemius)

Midrange: Toes Pointed leg curls 2 x 12 - 18
Stretch: Donkey Calf raises 2 x 12 - 18
Contracted: One legged calf raises or
standing calf machine 2 x 12 - 18

Chest

Upper chest
Midrange: Incline Barbell press 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch & Contracted: Incline cable flyes 2 x 8 - 12

Lower Chest
Midrange: Bench press 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch & Contracted: Cable crossovers

Alternate lower chest (lower pec)
Midrange: Dumbbell bench presses
Stretch & Contracted: Decline cable flyes
Triceps

Midrange: Lying triceps extensions 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch: Overhead extensions 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: kickbacks 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

Alternate triceps
Midrange: Close grip bench presses 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch: Cable push outs 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: One-arm pushdowns 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

DAY THREE

Back

Lats

Midrange: Front pulldown 2 x 8 - 10
Stretch: Pullovers 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Stiff-arm pulldown 1 - 2 x 8 - 10

Midback

Midrange: Behind the neck pulldowns 2 x 8 - 10
Stretch: One-arm dumbbell rows 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Wide-grip cable rows 1 - 2 x 8 - 10

Upper stretch & Contracted: Shrugs 2 x 8 - 10

Deltoids

Midrange: Behind the neck press 2 x 8 - 10
Stretch: Incline one arm lateral raise 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Lateral raise (dumbbell) 1 - 2 x 8 - 10

Alternates
Midrange: Dumbbell press 2 x 8 - 10
Stretch: One arm cable lateral raises 2 x 8 - 10
Contracted: Upright rows (barbell)

Biceps

Midrange: Barbell curl 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch: Incline dumbbell curl 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: One-arm concentration curl 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

Alternates
Midrange: Seated dumbbell curl 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch: One-arm cable curl 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: Spider curl 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

Forearms

Flexors

Midrange: Trained with curls in the biceps routine
Stretch: Incline wrist curls 1 - 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: Decline wrist curls 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

Extensors

Midrange: Reverse curl or hammer curl 1 - 2 x 8 - 12
Stretch: Incline reverse curl 1 - 2 x 8 - 12
Contracted: Decline wrist curl 1 - 2 x 8 - 12

i combine jogging and lifting. if you can make the effort in jogging at least 2.2 miles every other day than power to you. it's not easy for me, but i've been doing it for two months. so try it.
 07-27-2005, 02:03 PM         #20
Daddy's Home... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TheDon300 said:
about the high reps thing... its not doing really light weight for 30 reps its like if u can do 50s on dumbells... get like 35 and do 15 reps thats what they mean. theyre not talkinb about grabbing a 10 and doing 50 reps....
Same principle... 15+ reps will recruit muscle fibers wit very little growth potential... Thus, if you want muscular size gain, low weight / high reps is pointless...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Tyrann Mathieu's Sister
32 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside How much money do barbers make?
171 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sep 27 - The brain becomes 'unified' when hallucinating on LSD
184 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NFL Jalen Ramsey Wonít Stop Talking: Meet the NFLís next shutdown corner
70 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside OFFFICAL: Dom Kennedy "Los Angeles Not For Sale Vol. 1 (Anticipation/Di..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Just seen The Wolf Of Wall Street 2 days ago...
69 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Xbox fire sales continue, $229 for Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Br..
41 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside That's the most beautiful ass I've ever seen
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy