Actors Who Take Their Roles Too Seriously

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
37 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '09        #1
9613 pageviews
30 comments

bigscore 1632 heat pts1632
space
space
$12,827 | Props total: 17922 17922
Actors Who Take Their Roles Too Seriously

http://movies.answers.com/movie-stars/6-actors-who-might-have-gone-too-method

Daniel Day Lewis

Probably the most notorious method actor out there today, every time Day Lewis steps onto a set something crazy is bound to happen. A strict adherent to his techniques, once Day Lewis is in character he refuses to break it, while on or off set. While filming his most recent movie "Lincoln", he consistently signed his texts 'A' for Abraham and read over 100 books on the man's life. While playing a paralyzed character in "My Left Foot," Day Lewis never left his wheelchair while on set, forcing frustrated crewmembers to lift him over obstacles.

Christian Bale

Not only did Bale blame his now infamous recorded outburst on the set of "Terminator: Salvation" on getting too into the character of John Connor, but he really took things to the extreme while filming "The Machinist." To get into the mindset of the starving protagonist with chronic insomnia, he dropped over 60 pounds. His weight loss only stopped because doctors told him it was unsafe to lose any more, as he was subsisting only on canned tuna and apples. Bale immediately had to gain it all back anyway to play the bulky Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins." Talk about commitment.

Robert de Niro

A strong proponent of method acting, De Niro does whatever he can to get the best acting out of himself, and his co-stars. This includes harshly insulting other actors on set so that they can get angry enough for a scene. Additionally, for his part in critically acclaimed film 'Taxi Driver," De Niro actually worked 12 hour shifts in a taxicab for a month to get into the mindset and isolation of the job. To play ex-rapist Max Cady in "Cape Fear," De Niro paid a dentist to file down his teeth to make them look suitably decayed, and then paid even more money to have them fixed again.

Jim Carrey

On the set of 1999 movie "Man on the Moon," which details the life of comedian Andy Kaufman, Jim Carrey refused to ever break character. He would not respond to any other actors or crewmembers unless they called him Andy or Tony, disrupting filming and annoying several people working on the movie. Eventually, Carrey got so into the role that he developed specific tics and movements that Kaufman possessed, although they weren't scripted. Seems like a whole lot of work for a movie that wasn't too well received, although Carrey was awarded a Golden Globe for the performance.

Heath Ledger

It's no surprise that Heath Ledger received enormous amounts of praise and a posthumous Oscar for his performance as The Joker in "The Dark Knight," considering the work he put into it. He isolated himself in his apartment for a full month, developing paranoia and insomnia along the way, sometimes sleeping as little as two hours a night. He also kept an in-character journal as The Joker, filling it with crazed writings. Some speculate that Heath's commitment to the career-defining role was what led him to sleeping pills and the eventual overdose that caused his tragic death.

Joaquin Phoenix

The only person who possibly could've ended this list, Phoenix fooled pretty much everyone with his method techniques. The Casey Affleck directed mockumentary "I'm Still Here" followed a fictional Joaquin as he retired from the acting world to pursue a rap career, and Phoenix entered the role completely. To explore the relationship between media and the public, Phoenix appeared on "The Late Show With David Letterman" in 2008 to promote a different film. He showed up unshaven and incoherent, expressing his desire to move into hip-hop. Although some speculated that the appearance (and others Joaquin made later) was a hoax, many truly believed that the actor had gone psychotic, and the truth was not revealed until Affleck announced the mockumentary and its purpose in 2010.

Last edited by bigscore; 08-08-2013 at 01:43 PM..

30 comments for "Actors Who Take Their Roles Too Seriously"

4 years ago '12        #2
iBoxden 27 heat pts27
space
space
$2,895 | Props total: 233 233
that pic not even from when Christian Bale was he was in The Machinist. that's from The f!ghter. which he took that role serious but probably one of his best roles.
 4 years ago '11        #3
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$8,349 | Props total: 204 204
Bale in The Machinist looked crazy skinny!! I enjoyed the film as well. Day Lewis is the Best loved Gangs of New York (shout to Leo) and The Joker is the greatest villain I've ever seen portrayed on film....Ever
 4 years ago '06        #4
droid3000 995 heat pts995
space
space
$26,461 | Props total: 26162 26162
so this is basically a method actor list?
 4 years ago '04        #5
joe 
space
space
space
$172 | Props total: 0 0
Where is AL Pacino? The best actor of all time....
 4 years ago '11        #6
GrindPOWER$ 390 heat pts390
space
space
$19,273 | Props total: 12540 12540
 joe said:
Where is AL Pacino? The best actor of all time....
because he's not a method actor great actor not a method one

Christian Bale devoted to his craft that's why and all the others on this list.

but no Johnny Depp this list lose points because of that...one of the best Method actors of our time...would Heath Ledger would have being on there if he didn't do the joker.
 4 years ago '08        #7
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,658 | Props total: 2194 2194
No coincidence that these men are all fantastic actors
 4 years ago '08        #8
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,027 | Props total: 5088 5088
great list I have a lot of respect for these guys because they're all crazy as fu*k.
 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM         #9
Tempus # 1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If I was making 20 million dollars a movie I would be taking the sh*t too seriously too
 4 years ago '12        #10
Hazi 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,596 | Props total: 602 602
They're all great actors tho. Carrey fell off but other than that
 4 years ago '12        #11
bezngga1982 51 heat pts51
space
space
$1,830 | Props total: 2945 2945
word to bale, my n*gga

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '12        #12
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,760 | Props total: 22138 22138
There's a story about Jim when he was playing the Grinch. When he got into the suit, he actually turned into a evil mother fu*ker.
 4 years ago '04        #13
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,902 | Props total: 2583 2583
jim carrey is one of my favorite actors ever, but i never knew he was a method actor. i'd love to hang out with him while he was making dumb and dumber or ace ventura haha
 4 years ago '08        #14
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,027 | Props total: 5088 5088
 Tempus # 1 said:
If I was making 20 million dollars a movie I would be taking the sh*t too seriously too
ya dig
 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM         #15
swerve1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i don't think it's possible to take roles too seriously
the more these actors invest in their role the better the performance
if they want to do crazy sh*t to stay in character more power to them
 4 years ago '10        #16
LORD PLISSKEN 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$21,017 | Props total: 8022 8022
 bezngga1982 said:
word to bale, my n*gga

[pic - click to view]

The goat
 4 years ago '10        #17
MANNYSOSA 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,532 | Props total: 1719 1719
i dont like him but sean penn needs to be on this list ... he is the craziest
 4 years ago '11        #18
darealvelle 96 heat pts96
space
space
$7,879 | Props total: 4475 4475
 bezngga1982 said:
word to bale, my n*gga

[pic - click to view]

To this....

[pic - click to view]

08-08-2013, 11:17 PM         #19
cheguevara 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bezngga1982 said:
word to bale, my n*gga

[pic - click to view]

:hillwhoa:
 08-08-2013, 11:22 PM         #20
Lazy Mikey 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jim k!lled that Kaufman Biopic. A very overlooked Actor cause of a couple bad movie choices.

What Bale does is just insane though, keep paying that man.
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
37 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
245 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
108 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy