Danny Brown Says People In Detroit Don't Consider Big Sean Local (thefader.com interview)

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
134 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
24 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '05        #1
7260 pageviews
103 comments

ice wolf 515 heat pts515
space
space
$9,299 | Props total: 5486 5486
Danny Brown Says People In Detroit Don't Consider Big Sean Local (thefader.com interview)

A post-industrial perfect storm has been hammering Detroit for decades, culminating this July with the cityís bankruptcy filing, the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history both in terms of debt (~$20 billion) and population size (700,000, just 40% of the cityís maximum in the auto-boom í50s). Detroit rapper Danny Brownís 2011 album, x*x, offered a number of bleak portrayals of life thereófor some insight into his approach, read Willy Staleyís essay ďWhatís Really pr0nographic? The Point of Documenting Detroit,Ē and Dannyís FADER cover story, ďComing from Behind,Ē in which Danny concludes, ďfu*k the hood. fu*k Detroit, bruh.Ē Two years later, his perspective hasnít much changed.

What do you think about the bankruptcy? At the end of the day, itís probably something that shouldíve been done 10 years ago. For the entire time that Iíve been livingóborn and raised hereówe always had some hope that sh*t was about to change. They was about to do this, to build some new sh*t. We always thought things would get better. But now Iím a grown a.ss man and itís worser. Ainít nothing changed. A new football stadium, new baseball sh*t, but economically it declined. You ride around and see how fu*ked up it is.

Are you proud to be from Detroit? I probably talked to you about this [for the FADER feature]. A lot of rappers are always about repping they hood, but for me itís always about getting out the hood. I moved to Royal Oak, thatís where I still stay. I love Michigan. I might not like Detroit so much, but I love Michigan. Donít get me wrongóI do love Detroit, I just know we got problems. You listen to how I talk about Detroit, and you listen to how a rapper like Big Sean talk about Detroit, and itís like weíre talking about two different cities. Which is probably true, because Detroit is that type of cityóhe went to the best high school in the city, you know, he probably was real spoiled or sheltered, so itís like two different worlds. He can look at it and talk about guap, and we donít have any.

Itís funny, I donít think of him as from Detroit. To me heís just a rapper on the radio. A lot of people in Detroit donít consider him that either. They say he from LA now. He ainít been to the hood in years, and I wouldnít either if I was him, to be honest. Itís not a bad thing. Iím in the hood every day now, so I see the faces, I see the desperation. I have a studio now thatís five minutes from where I was born.

What do other people you know think about the bankruptcy? At the end of the day, itís a lot of people whoíve never left Detroit, so they donít know whatís bad or good. A lot of them feel like they love Detroit, they feel like itís fun, itís happy. It might be a piece a sh*t, but itís they piece of sh*t, so they gone treat it like itís gold. Once you leave and you see sh*t is better, you start thinking different.

Whatís the first thing you think when you get home after a tour? Taking a sh*t in my own toilet. [Heh-heh-heh-heeeh] The biggest difference between here and overseas is, we let you do what you want to do here. Just buying a soda overseas will be 10 times smaller. If you want to eat till you obese and k!ll yourself, we let you do that. Over there, you buy a pack of cigarettes and it has a picture of a n*gga with mouth cancer on that bi*ch to make you change your whole mind. They try to take care of you over there.

Had you been in charge of Detroit, what would you have done differently? I wouldíve been more concerned with youth sh*t, because thatís where the future is. Itís never really been a concern. I wouldíve been concerned with fixing schools and community centers and things for kids to do with they time. Because thatís whoís out here shooting people, thatís whoís breaking into your house, thatís who out here robbing. Itís not grown men, because weíve been through cases already, we scared to do sh*t, we donít want to go back to jail.

Whatís going to happen to the city?
They trying to stress us out so much to make us leave, so they can take over. You can see neighborhoods now that were straight crackhead central, and now itís hipsters building gardens. In some sense, they want everybody from the city to move to the outskirts and suburbs so they can take overónot saying white people or black people, just rich people.

Since Iíve got you, I have to ask about Old. When is the album coming out? At this point I guess itís still supposed to be a secret. Itís supposed to be really soon. Everything is done, the music is done,the videos is shot, the cover is done. Iím just waiting on Foolís Gold to push the button.

Watch Danny Brown talk about his childhood neighborhood in this 2011 video for vitaminwater #uncapped.

visit this link Interview: Danny Brown on the Detroit Bankruptcy ę The FADER

103 comments for "Danny Brown Says People In Detroit Don't Consider Big Sean Local (thefader.com interview)"

4 years ago '04        #2
#1nasfan 
space
space
$11,850 | Props total: 5193 5193
I know he's supposedly not , but he seems so gay. In the video, he's walking in a jacket that's very close to pink, if not pink, tight pants (sagging), and a bag that looks like a big purse and of course, his hair. I just can't get past all that, it keeps me away from his music.
 4 years ago '04        #3
HUMAN_CRACK 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,365 | Props total: 119 119
Same thing n*ggaz was saying about YŤ. It's real tho. He wasn't saying it to sh*t on Sean. sh*t I know n*ggaz that will say the same thing about Sean. The city don't breed every n*gga the same way. Danny is real and he's got my respect off of that before his music
 4 years ago '11        #4
Jaymalls 58 heat pts58
space
space
$3,932 | Props total: 364 364
so because Danny was/is "in the hood" he is "real"???
Because Danny was "poor" he is "real"???
Yall n*ggas are so backwards on BX... if you make it, are you really gonna be in the hood everyday like Danny Brown say he is???
Im 100% sure Big Sean has done more for the city of Detroit than Danny brown ever will... and thats because he doesn't have that same broke no passport having hood n*gga mentality you bum a.ss n*ggas on boxden seem to praise until your favorite artist get caught slipping and end up got over a cheap chain or a bet over a fu*king video game!
 4 years ago '05        #5
ice wolf 515 heat pts515 OP
space
space
Danny Brown >>>> BS

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '10        #6
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,551 | Props total: 195 195
medium sean is so wack
 4 years ago '04        #7
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,369 | Props total: 6383 6383

so because sean talks about his aspect of detroit(which really isn't hood sh!t) he isn't from there? danny even said not everybody came up the same there in the interview

at least sean starting to put people from there on his tapes/albums
 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM         #8
3rdcoasta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 #1nasfan said:
I know he's supposedly not , but he seems so gay. In the video, he's walking in a jacket that's very close to pink, if not pink, tight pants (sagging), and a bag that looks like a big purse and of course, his hair. I just can't get past all that, it keeps me away from his music.
locally gay as n*gga
 4 years ago '11        #9
Blue Dream 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,448 | Props total: 594 594
Danny came off to me like he just wanted to throw salt on Sean, first he says fu*k the hood he moved to another area of Michigan cause he can't stand Detroit, then he's saying Big Sean ain't sh*t cause he don't stay in Detroit. Then he says Sean wrong for glorifying Detroit he must've been spoiled (contrary to all dude's songs) then turns around and says people from Detroit love it because its theirs.

Yeah, alright n*gga
 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM         #10
bmanbman 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lil Sean <<
 4 years ago '13        #11
Dodgers 3 heat pts
space
space
$3,316 | Props total: 3035 3035
Whether or not Sean was in the hood or not he still does more than Danny Brown to help the city. He's out here on a mission impossible to make Detroit seem like a good place to be.
 4 years ago '04        #12
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,369 | Props total: 6383 6383
 castro13 said:
my only issue with this n*gga Danny is how much he changed up just get "put on". this half head permed out, bright color wearing, shock value sh*t ain't the danny I know.

I know the Res'vor Dogs danny brown. the one who used to rap about gettin money, and k!llin n*ggas just like every other rapper.

throwin Shade on sean like he ain't change up to cater to these white folks.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #13
CA$H MONEY 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,923 | Props total: 3 3
 Blue Dream said:
Danny came off to me like he just wanted to throw salt on Sean, first he says fu*k the hood he moved to another area of Michigan cause he can't stand Detroit, then he's saying Big Sean ain't sh*t cause he don't stay in Detroit. Then he says Sean wrong for glorifying Detroit he must've been spoiled (contrary to all dude's songs) then turns around and says people from Detroit love it because its theirs.

Yeah, alright n*gga
He did contradict himself a bunch.....
 4 years ago '10        #14
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,532 | Props total: 5867 5867
I didn't take it as he himself saying that Sean wasn't " Detroit ", but more so him relaying what he heard from people in the city (being that he still lives/works there).

4 years ago '04        #15
#1nasfan 
space
space
$11,850 | Props total: 5193 5193
 Rich n*gga said:
Maybe your a latent homos3xual.And seeing n*ggas like him and Lil B remind you of yourself and your gay s3xual fantasies.But you don't wanna be gay,so you reject them.Probably can't even look yourself in the mirror without feeling ashamed.n*gga maybe you should get yo' sh*t together
...... don't front like if u saw this n*gga out not knowing who he was, pink jacket, skinnys, half perm, and purse on his arm, you wouldn't a.ssume he's gay. I'm not sayin there would be anything wrong with u listening to him if he was, just sayin.

I'm done though cuz that's really not what this thread is about.

Last edited by #1nasfan; 08-08-2013 at 01:17 PM..
 4 years ago '12        #16
BangEm904 38 heat pts38
space
space
$5,802 | Props total: 6616 6616
i get it now, if u from da hood and struggled then u "real" but if u went to a good high school, u spoiled ...nice logic there. Cause i kno plenty "fake" n*ggas from da hood and real n*ggas from da burbs.

just my 2 pennies, carry on
 4 years ago '07        #17
240ka 49 heat pts49
space
space
$22,340 | Props total: 2051 2051
My n*gga Danny
 4 years ago '06        #18
Honolulu Blue 32 heat pts32
space
space
$17,448 | Props total: 1097 1097
We're talking about two completely types of rappers. Big Sean is on G.O.O.D. Music for a reason. He fits that label and lifestyle perfectly. If you listen to Sean's voice and his raps, you can tell he's from Detroit. But I agree that Sean doesn't keep it real when it comes to Detroit. He cares about the city, but from the outside looking in. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Danny's words have some truth behind them.

I know people who grew up in Detroit but they went to a nicer school and eventually came out of the hood into the burbs. They embrace their past, but they know better than to go back down there. Especially the hipsters who would get robbed in broad daylight for going back to their hood. Doesn't matter if they grew up there.

I'm glad Danny said it because a lot of people from Metro Detroit have been thinking that for a while now, just haven't had the nerve to say it since Big Sean does rep Detroit. I see it as a little big of an ego check, not a diss just putting someone in their rightful place.
 4 years ago '05        #19
ice wolf 515 heat pts515 OP
space
space
 Comic Book Guy said:
We're talking about two completely types of rappers. Big Sean is on G.O.O.D. Music for a reason. He fits that label and lifestyle perfectly. If you listen to Sean's voice and his raps, you can tell he's from Detroit. But I agree that Sean doesn't keep it real when it comes to Detroit. He cares about the city, but from the outside looking in. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Danny's words have some truth behind them.

I know people who grew up in Detroit but they went to a nicer school and eventually came out of the hood into the burbs. They embrace their past, but they know better than to go back down there. Especially the hipsters who would get robbed in broad daylight for going back to their hood. Doesn't matter if they grew up there.

I'm glad Danny said it because a lot of people from Metro Detroit have been thinking that for a while now, just haven't had the nerve to say it since Big Sean does rep Detroit. I see it as a little big of an ego check, not a diss just putting someone in their rightful place.
 4 years ago '05        #20
Emperor85 
space
space
space
$7,865 | Props total: 5660 5660
 Jaymalls said:
so because Danny was/is "in the hood" he is "real"???
Because Danny was "poor" he is "real"???
Yall n*ggas are so backwards on BX... if you make it, are you really gonna be in the hood everyday like Danny Brown say he is???
Im 100% sure Big Sean has done more for the city of Detroit than Danny brown ever will... and thats because he doesn't have that same broke no passport having hood n*gga mentality you bum a.ss n*ggas on boxden seem to praise until your favorite artist get caught slipping and end up got over a cheap chain or a bet over a fu*king video game!
if you read the article it said he moved out of detriot as soon as he made some money

give me danny over sean any day of the week
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
73 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
160 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty ďIce TrayĒ (Joe Budden Diss)
73 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
71 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside My Local Newscaster Has The Biggest Damn Head That I've Ever Seen *Pause
116 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy