Who is the greater artist: Prince or Michael Jackson?

most viewed right now
 106
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 31
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
27 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 29
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 22
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Who is the better artist?
Prince 82 28.98%
Michael Jackson 201 71.02%
Voters: 283. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM         #161
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I love them both but I enjoy Prince's discography more.
 4 years ago '07        #162
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,781 | Props total: 5979 5979
 Guvnor said:
You obviously don't understand the larger picture here though

When it comes to art, influence is very important. I mean look at the ancient egyptians and there art. If you look around at women now-a-days your bound to see a few of them wearing an ankh. Your also bound to see a few of them talking about wanting to be there queens like Cleopatra and some of the deeper ones want to be like Nefertiti . When you really look at it, the ancient egyptians been dead for a long time now, but there art still lives on. There art has inspired many and that is what art does. Whether it be musical art or visual art.

I mean what good does art do if the person never puts it on display and just left it all in there basement.

The art's impact as well as the people it inspires counts too imo.
good points but michael needed people to help him create his ideas where as prince did not which imo makes prince the better artist. now when it comes to entertainment, MJ cant be topped
 4 years ago '05        #163
Quddus 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$14,954 | Props total: 6188 6188
I am just glad i was around to see someone like Michael Jackson. Could not imagine being born 100 years from now.


Last edited by Quddus; 08-05-2013 at 02:19 PM..
 4 years ago '06        #164
LBThrizzy 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$13,337 | Props total: 963 963
Nobody fu*king with Mike.
 4 years ago '07        #165
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,781 | Props total: 5979 5979
 regulate said:
Go check the credits from the Bad album. There are 11 songs. The only 2 that were written/produced by other people were 'Just Good Friends' & 'Man in the Mirror'. Every other song was written and produced solely by Michael, no collaborators.
Does that sound like someone who needs help to you?
First off, I know you're wrong already because I remember an interview where Quincy Jones said he created the tone for "bad" so people would stop thinking mike was soft.

All songs produced by Quincy Jones and co-produced by Michael Jackson.
 4 years ago '07        #166
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,781 | Props total: 5979 5979
take credit from michael? you just said he solely produced the bad album which is totally false

like i said, michael needed quincy jones to make off the wall, thriller, bad while prince could make his music by his lonesome.

to each his own though
 4 years ago '08        #167
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$10,033 | Props total: 5112 5112
Prince is the better artist(he plays every Instrument and has done entire albums by himself) Mike is the better entertainer.
 4 years ago '13        #168
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
avatar space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Soda Pop said:
Prince is the better artist(he plays every Instrument and has done entire albums by himself) Mike is the better entertainer.
He never did no album by himself. Stop lying.

He always had an engineer with him and other musicians play out parts for him too.
 4 years ago '11        #169
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,399 | Props total: 4559 4559
 KoolBreeze said:
take credit from michael? you just said he solely produced the bad album which is totally false

like i said, michael needed quincy jones to make off the wall, thriller, bad while prince could make his music by his lonesome.

to each his own though
I guess he needed Quincy Jones to make Dangerous and History too right?

 4 years ago '09        #170
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,096 | Props total: 384 384
 Guvnor said:
You obviously don't understand the larger picture here though

When it comes to art, influence is very important. I mean look at the ancient egyptians and there art. If you look around at women now-a-days your bound to see a few of them wearing an ankh. Your also bound to see a few of them talking about wanting to be there queens like Cleopatra and some of the deeper ones want to be like Nefertiti . When you really look at it, the ancient egyptians been dead for a long time now, but there art still lives on. There art has inspired many and that is what art does. Whether it be musical art or visual art.

I mean what good does art do if the person never puts it on display and just left it all in there basement.

The art's impact as well as the people it inspires counts too imo.


This is a not so cogent justification; the historical nature does not make the argument any more compelling. Impact in the 21st century is propelled by mass appeal (and record companies). Prince's music was almost strictly meant for adults, which is why only certain people would even recognize his music as opposed to MJ. Michael Jackson also had the backing of Motown during his Jackson 5 days...at any rate, i don't know why we're talking influence when the question asked about ARTISTRY.

Artistry (noun)- Creative ability or skill.

Again, influence has n.o.t.h.i.n.g. to do with artistry.
 4 years ago '07        #171
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,781 | Props total: 5979 5979
 regulate said:
Where did I say Michael solely produced the whole album?
 regulate said:
Go check the credits from the Bad album. There are 11 songs. The only 2 that were written/produced by other people were 'Just Good Friends' & 'Man in the Mirror'. Every other song was written and produced solely by Michael
ok, you claimed all but two songs were solely produced by michael jackson which is totally false.
 4 years ago '09        #172
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,096 | Props total: 384 384
 Guvnor said:
He never did no album by himself. Stop lying.

He always had an engineer with him and other musicians play out parts for him too.
"According to the For You album notes, Prince produced, arranged, composed and played all 27 instruments on the recording. The album was written and performed by Prince, except for the song "Soft and Wet" which had lyrics co-written by Moon."

See here: )

Of course no musician makes an album entirely by themselves, but Prince was definitely calling the shots on this and was responsible for every musical aspect. We cannot nearly say the same for MJ.
 4 years ago '09        #173
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,096 | Props total: 384 384
 regulate said:

Y'all can keep trying to take credit away from Michael, relegating him to brittany spears status by calling him just an "entertainer" all you want but the facts simply don't mesh with that.
And rightfully so because he was not a great singer. He was a phenomenal performer but very VERY average singer. Sure, little Michael had a powerful voice but this was not evident in his adult career, much like Brittany Spears.

Lets be fu*king for real, Prince's voice > Michael Jackson's voice x 999
 4 years ago '13        #174
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
avatar space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 blacknacirema4 said:
"According to the For You album notes, Prince produced, arranged, composed and played all 27 instruments on the recording. The album was written and performed by Prince, except for the song "Soft and Wet" which had lyrics co-written by Moon."

See here: )

Of course no musician makes an album entirely by themselves, but Prince was definitely calling the shots on this and was responsible for every musical aspect. We cannot nearly say the same for MJ.
That I can agree with

He still had a co-writer on that one song and an engineer mix and master it though.

At least we know how high the celling is. Any artist that wants to top prince will either need to play more instruments them him or engineer as well as have as long as an impact in music and as huge a discography as him.

Or is this not true?

 regulate said:
Because influence speaks to the level of inspiration given off by creative works of art. Influence doesn't = artistry but influence is damn sure determined by levels of artistry. What's so hard to understand?
Thank you.

I was just going to ignore him. But he has nothing more to say about this hopefully because he is the first person I ever seen try to dispute that.


Last edited by Guvnor; 08-05-2013 at 03:23 PM..
 4 years ago '11        #175
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,399 | Props total: 4559 4559
The poll speaks for itself...the Prince folks think the world is wrong...what hubris!
 4 years ago '09        #176
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,096 | Props total: 384 384
 regulate said:
Because influence speaks to the level of inspiration given off by creative works of art. Influence doesn't = artistry but influence is damn sure determined by levels of artistry. What's so hard to understand?
Influence (in terms of a recording artist) isn't strictly due to the artists' works unfortunately. In modern entertainment, influence is due to how you look, how the individual makes you feel when they talk, catering to our sometimes simplistic desires. Those factors are often due to someone else's doing, that "someone else" being someone other than the artist. Influence is also not confined to pure artistry and is confounded by factors that have nothing to do with artistry.

Prince cant inspire the masses like MJ because not everybody is even open-minded, daring, or smart enough to even take a good listen to his music. His music was for adults which limits his influence, but that has no relation to his artistry. He's still the baddest musician walking the earth and he still won't have the influence of Michael Jackson for a host of reasons.

Influence (noun)- The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself

Bill Nye has more influence than Neil deGrassee Tyson but Nye isn't holding a candle to any legitimate physicist or other natural scientist. Bill Nye doesn't even have a doctoral degree.

In no way am I likening Michael Jackson to an unmerited scientist, but with your logic Bill Bye would be the greater scientist than Neil Tyson because he has more influence.

Prince isn't going to appeal to people like MJ did and does because people simply aren't willing or equipped to receive Prince. His lack of influence to the degree that of Michael Jackson is irrelevant. The only thing relevant in artistry for a recording artist is what they do in the studio. And to my knowledge, Prince did much more by his lonesome than Michael Jackson and STILL manages to have a much stronger and versatile voice.


Last edited by blacknacirema4; 08-05-2013 at 03:55 PM..
 4 years ago '09        #177
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,096 | Props total: 384 384
 regulate said:
Michael wrote, composed, produced and arranged as well. Check the album credits. He was also credited for percussion,piano and guitar on a few songs. Obviously the only thing Prince had on MJ was his ability to play more instruments and better. But that's it. Everything else is in MJ's favor.
Everything else? What about the most important thing, the voice?

Yall cant be serious if you think MJ had a better voice. MJ had a NICE voice, thats it. Prince's voice is from heaven, while MJ probably struggling to get there.


Last edited by blacknacirema4; 08-05-2013 at 03:42 PM..
 4 years ago '06        #178
lato9905 25 heat pts25
space
avatar space
space
$8,422 | Props total: 2622 2622
Maaaan fu*k prince!
 4 years ago '13        #179
Vercetti 62 heat pts62
space
avatar space
space
$5,276 | Props total: 4731 4731
Who can compose music that can move your soul such as this gem:


[video - click to view]


Artistry at it's finest.

Prince>>
 4 years ago '13        #180
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
avatar space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Vercetti said:
Who can compose music that can move your soul such as this gem:



Artistry at it's finest.

Prince>>
The Video got took down by Prince's team

Therefore your point is not proven.

We don't believe you, you need working audio.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 15
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 14
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 12
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
104 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 11
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
114 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
187 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 8
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
64 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 6
Ultimate mugen build(tell me the characters and Ill build you a custom game)
48 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 4
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
148 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy