Who is the greater artist: Prince or Michael Jackson?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
191 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
219 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
135 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
81 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who is the better artist?
Prince 82 28.98%
Michael Jackson 201 71.02%
Voters: 283. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '13        #101
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 fdss said:
Prince been making rock music since the beginning of his career...
He has been making rock.

But it was always soul or funk elements in it.

It was never on some overly hard sh*t for a whole album.

IF so prove me wrong

I don't mean rock ballads about love when I say rock btw.

Im talking that hard sh*t!

He got a lot of music and I could have missed it though.
 4 years ago '12        #102
King Jaffe Joe 23 heat pts23
space
space
$8,090 | Props total: 4765 4765
how is MJ only winning this by 52 votes

and why is this in the HHS
 4 years ago '13        #103
space
space
 NcAlien said:
The Artist formerly known as his panache and style and what he did for the game as not only an artist but a musician>>>

Mike played with kids prince had a stable of bad big titty bishes
Prince was on some other sh*t too..

In her statement she says: "Prince informed me he took s3xual relations very seriously.

"He believed he was the Messiah and if you had s3x with him, you became one with him.

"Prince would have bizarre s3x parties where he had different theme rooms. He kept people in rooms at his homes and would have different acts in each room. He had cages, chains, whips in these rooms. Sometimes he would watch and sometimes he would participate.

"Prince would also make me watch videos of him with other women. This would make me very upset. I was also filmed having s3x with Prince without my permission."

Miss Friend, who began a relationship with Prince after they met in a Hollywood bar, also accuses him of starving her and threatening violence when they broke up.

"Prince ran hot and cold, treating me nicely, then being cruel. He would kick me out of bed, ordering me to sleep elsewhere. I would want to leave but he would prevent me. He said I belonged to him. He also demanded that I be on call for him.

"Prince threatened to have me k!lled after we broke up, saying no one else could have me."
Sounds like a sick man to me

Last edited by Guvnor; 08-04-2013 at 09:20 PM..
 4 years ago '13        #104
space
space
 King Jaffe Joe said:
how is MJ only winning this by 52 votes

and why is this in the HHS
Its because there is no other music section on Boxden

Plus you can gladly exit the thread if you want to discuss some other matter

Not being rude, I'm just saying
 4 years ago '05        #105
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,312 | Props total: 868 868
Stop It
 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM         #106
fdss 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Guvnor said:
He has been making rock.

But it was always soul or funk elements in it.

It was never on some overly hard sh*t for a whole album.

IF so prove me wrong

I don't mean rock ballads about love when I say rock btw.

Im talking that hard sh*t!

He got a lot of music and I could have missed it though.

Im yours, Chaos and disorder, WHen you were mine, The Ride, Little red corvette Darling Nikki, Lets go Crazy, Endorphine Machine, Wall of Berlin, Witness for the Prosecution (Unreleased song) The Dreamer to name a few..

the Lotuflow3r album had mostly rock songs on it..

Last edited by fdss; 08-04-2013 at 09:34 PM..
 4 years ago '11        #107
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,378 | Props total: 4279 4279
 regulate said:
Yo this was the DEMO of Smooth Criminal. A song he wrote & produced BY HIMSELF. This wasn't good enough by MJ's standards so he scrapped and re-wrote it.

Even Mike's throwaway tracks were tight as fu*k!

4 years ago '13        #108
space
space
 fdss said:
Im yours, Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?, Bambi, WHen you were mine, Little red corvette Darling Nikki, Lets go Crazy, Endorphine Machine
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man, The Dreamer to name a few..

the Lotuflow3r album had mostly rock songs on it..
Most of those are "Love Ballad" like though, either that or their not really hard rock like that, except the guitar.

But I see your point.

I got to admit when Im wrong.

Deuterion said:
Even Mike's throwaway tracks were tight as fu*k!
Word

regulate said:
Yo this was the DEMO of Smooth Criminal. A song he wrote & produced BY HIMSELF. This wasn't good enough by MJ's standards so he scrapped and re-wrote it.

That joint is mean
 4 years ago '04        #109
booie4 
space
space
$5,264 | Props total: 1551 1551
 Emperor85 said:
prince turned models into stars

had the biggest crush on that girl when she was on The Last Dragon
 4 years ago '10        #110
tupac1177 
space
space
space
$156 | Props total: 10 10
mj had a voice from heaven.
 4 years ago '04        #111
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,608 | Props total: 1775 1775
prince stans k!ll me with that +20 instruments sh*t. Like you've seen the n*gga play all instruments fluently in front of you.
 4 years ago '04        #112
kb2602 
space
space
space
$1,115 | Props total: 28 28
 Deuterion said:
Musicianship and artistry do not begin or end with playing instruments.

But the biggest sign that Michael Jackson is the greatest is the fact that you can put Smooth Criminal on for a toddler right now and they will have that same joy and twinkle in their eye that we had when we first watched it. Prince doesn't have that same effect, his music doesn't resonate with people like Mike's did. .

you can pretty much close the thread with ^^^ this statement

you put on a mike song and kids nowadays know it word for word
you put on purple rain or doves cry two of princes more popular hits and kids dont know a single word
 4 years ago '09        #113
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,095 | Props total: 382 382
 dahabi said:
Since we are talking "better artist", this sh*t isn't even close. You can't find a person who doesn't know at least 3 MJ songs...the same certainly cannot be said for Prince.

No doubt that MJ is a legend and an unprecedented artist, but people only know him so well because he was a popstar, the king of pop. But are YOU fu*kING KIDDING ME!???? Prince sings 1,000 times better than Michael Jackson, or any other singer at that. He can play over twenty instruments. I don't consider song recognition to be a relevant factor in judging talent, ability, or artistry. Song recognition is simply about exposure, or the lackthereof. Prince made a lot of weird music with lyrics that a child and even some adults wouldnt be able to wrap their minds around. MJ made classic music but it was much more simplistic. Boxden members, go off yourself is you seriously think Michael Jackson is a better artist than Prince.

Last edited by blacknacirema4; 08-05-2013 at 12:33 AM..
 4 years ago '11        #114
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 kb2602 said:

you put on purple rain or doves cry two of princes more popular hits and kids dont know a single word
Yup 100%. If you put Prince on around some kids they will look at you like "Why are you playing this old stuff?" You put Billie Jean or Beat It on and they'll be dancing around like it came out yesterday.

blacknacirema4 said:

No doubt that MJ is a legend and an unprecedented artist, but people only know him so well because he was a popstar, the king of pop. But are YOU fu*kING KIDDING ME!???? Prince sings 1,000 times better than Michael Jackson, or any other singer at that. He can play over twenty instruments. I don't consider song recognition to be a relevant factor in judging talent, ability, or artistry. Song recognition is simply about exposure, or the lackthereof. Boxden members, go off yourself is you seriously think Michael Jackson is a better artist than Prince.
This is such a silly argument "People only know him because he was a popstar" especially considering the fact that Mike's music wasn't pop. People knew Mike because he had a diverse collection of music that resonated with more people. He had something for everyone and his ability to fuse different music styles together to create something totally new and fresh was unrivaled and put him in a category all his own. Tracks like Another Part of Me, Thriller, Bad, Black and White, and etc are so musically diverse that you cannot classify them...you can't say if they're funk, rock, pop, rnb...they're something new...something unique to Mike. His music was entertaining, engaging, educational, and it wasn't pretentious...it exhibited a level of excellence and humility that you don't get from others. Lastly, you said MJ made pop...I'll help you out a bit:

Rock With You - RnB
Workin' Day and Night - Disco
Beat It - Rock (He won a grammy for best rock vocal performance)
Remember the Time - New Jack Swing
Wanna Be Startin' Something - Funk

It's not just Boxden who thinks Michael Jackson was better, the world does.

Last edited by Deuterion; 08-05-2013 at 12:49 AM..
 4 years ago '10        #115
Sk8bamboo 47 heat pts47
space
space
$1,328 | Props total: 611 611
 fugeeboy said:
Prince first 5 albums was HIM, Andre Cymone helped a bit playing the bass in his band, but Prince didn't use his ideas at all, then there is Dez d!ckerson, great guitarist in his band, but he did not contribute in the studio, the only people that were known to have contributed in and out the studio to Prince projects was WENDY AND LISA and that was on 3 albums, Around the World in a day, Parade, and Sign o The times, outside of that, its all the little dude from Minnesota, those first 3 albums by the time was all Prince, Morris Day might have a.ssisted from time to time, but those were his projects that he put together, and MJ was great, with his brothers he was great, but even all the Jacksons and ALL THE JACKSONS, from Rebbie to Randy all idolized Prince, Latoya even covered Prince on her first album (remake of Private Joy) and look who MJ tells James Brown to bring up on stage, his idol. PRINCE
I came back in here to add exactly these facts. Prince is no joke when it comes to putting together and recording his material, MJ also but he had a powerhouse of producers and songwriters behind him. If you ask who the BETTER ARTIST is then you gotta go with Prince. MJ has global appeal and some great music but when it comes to ALL the elements its got to be Prince . I mean you got guitar legends that still cant figure out WTF he did on the intro to When Doves Cry

[video - click to view]

and Drummers including myself trying to recreate that drum part in Darling Nikki

The people that ar all for MJ it's probobly because MJ is a house hold name but if you study music and have listened to price and know what goes into his records as well as MJ's then the question is already answered : Prince is the better artist just on versatility alone
 4 years ago '05        #116
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
 kb2602 said:

because Prince is extremely protective of his music. He won't even allow his sh*t to be on youtube and he won't allow his sh*t to be covered. Kids would get the same feeling if they were exposed to it. I was born in the 90s and my mother used to always play Prince. I had the same feeling.

yes being the better artist doesn't mean you have to play an instrument but let's not act like Prince is just some background rhythm guitar player. The fact he's one of the greatest guitar players + one of greatest writers? ehh y'all are trippin. I see why people would like MJ more though but I honestly can't say he was the better artist.
 4 years ago '05        #117
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
 Lance5 said:
some ppl really saying prince ?
if you aren't aware of his discography you shouldn't post. it's not too far-fetched at all.
 4 years ago '11        #118
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 Sk8bamboo said:
I came back in here to add exactly these facts. Prince is no joke when it comes to putting together and recording his material, MJ also but he had a powerhouse of producers and songwriters behind him. If you ask who the BETTER ARTIST is then you gotta go with Prince. MJ has global appeal and some great music but when it comes to ALL the elements its got to be Prince . I mean you got guitar legends that still cant figure out WTF he did on the intro to When Doves Cry When Doves Cry - The Artist Formally Known As - YouTube[/url] and Drummers including myself trying to recreate that drum part in Darling Nikki

The people that ar all for MJ it's probobly because MJ is a house hold name but if you study music and have listened to price and know what goes into his records as well as MJ's then the question is already answered : Prince is the better artist just on versatility alone
That's on a music theory level though which is not the end all be all of artistry. Look at this one video...the music, the lyrics, the dancing, the singing, the engagement is all artistry and no one has ever done it like this before. It's cool that Prince had very technical solos that baffle people...but music is about entertainment and Mike absolutely destroys Prince in that regard. Mike was able to entertain while also telling you a story...

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '11        #119
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 Martel said:
because Prince is extremely protective of his music. He won't even allow his sh*t to be on youtube and he won't allow his sh*t to be covered. Kids would get the same feeling if they were exposed to it. I was born in the 90s and my mother used to always play Prince. I had the same feeling.
You know why kids aren't exposed to it? Because people are not listening to his tracks anymore, why? Because a lot of Prince's music sounds so old and dated..."When Doves Cry" sounds so horrible nowadays with its overly synthesized sound, super reverbed and compressed drums, and its processed vocals. On the flip side you put on Billie Jean which came a year before WDC and it sounds like it came out yesterday. I'm not being biased either...Mike's music is truly timeless and unique. Kids who were born after MJ's death are getting up and dancing to Billie Jean like it's 1984 all over again. It's much more than just exposure...it's about how the music makes you feel, how it resonates with you, and that's something Michael Jackson mastered.

Name another artist who has a recognizable dance routine for each song.

Name another artist who has a recognizable outfit for every song.

Michael Jackson's artistry wasn't just music, it was an experience that engaged you in all senses. You guys can come up with reasons to downplay Mike all you want but there's a reason why the only person known more than him is Jesus. His music, his lyrics, his dancing, his videos, his movies, and etc were some of the best the world has ever seen...and guess what...all of those fit into the definition of ARTISTRY.
 4 years ago '13        #120
Ta388 
space
space
$4,067 | Props total: 2448 2448
This is close and could go either way but it's def Mike
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
45 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
47 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
40 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
67 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
189 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
160 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
141 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Jay Z's Tidal Is Running Out Of Cash & On Verge Of Bankruptcy, Lost $36..
154 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy