Who is the greater artist: Prince or Michael Jackson?

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
132 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
118 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
70 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who is the better artist?
Prince 82 28.98%
Michael Jackson 201 71.02%
Voters: 283. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '09        #221
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,080 | Props total: 8850 8850
Hard question.

4 years ago '04        #222
NuttinNyce 
space
space
$3,493 | Props total: 34 34
 Cash-Da-Magic said:
Vocal range - It is typically not known or appreciated that Michael had one of the greatest vocal ranges of our time. Renowned vocal coach, Seth Riggs, who also coached Michael, had claimed his voice could transcend 3 octaves and he could melodicize in any genre with ease. Michael could go from silky smooth R&B ballads to powerful Rock rampages to classical singing and opera. Michael was clearly the more gifted vocalist and while Prince was a songbird, he could not hold candle to Mike in that area. I just fail to see the argument otherwise.
WINNER: Michael
That statement right there is exactly why that category should've went to Prince. If MJ's vocal range was better you wouldn't need a vocal coach to cosign it, his range would be synonymous with his name. The same way that Mariah Carey's vocal range doesn't need to be verified by an outside source, neither does Prince's.

Like a bunch of people said before. Artist = Prince. Entertainer = MJ

And for those saying influence is a great determining factor. Lets not forget Soulja boy. After he Superman'd that hoe dance routines were brought back into rap. He helped usher in the YouTube/Myspace rapper era. He also proved a good album isn't needed as long as you can sell a couple ringtones. Will these accolades be enough to give him a shot at entering a "who's better" poll with the likes of 2Pac, Biggie, or Jay-Z? (By no means am I comparing MJ to Soulja Boy. Just saying industry driven influence isn't everything)
 4 years ago '09        #223
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,080 | Props total: 8850 8850
 NuttinNyce said:
That statement right there is exactly why that category should've went to Prince. If MJ's vocal range was better you wouldn't need a vocal coach to cosign it, his range would be synonymous with his name. The same way that Mariah Carey's vocal range doesn't need to be verified by an outside source, neither does Prince's.

And for those saying influence is a great determining factor. Lets not forget Soulja boy. After he Superman'd that hoe dance routines were brought back into rap. He helped usher in the YouTube/Myspace rapper era. He also proved a good album isn't needed as long as you can sell a couple ringtones. Will these accolades be enough to give him a shot at entering a "who's better" poll with the likes of 2Pac, Biggie, or Jay-Z? (By no means am I comparing MJ to Soulja Boy. Just saying industry driven influence isn't everything)
 4 years ago '13        #224
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
This old thread got bumped?

one of my greatest creations yet
 4 years ago '07        #225
Cash-Da-Magic 
space
space
$386 | Props total: 101 101
 NuttinNyce said:

The only difference being that Mariah's name is ACTUALLY synonymous with vocal prowess while Prince's is not. Prince is not nearly as renowned for his vocal ability as he is for his songwriting or musicianship. You ask someone what was special about Whitney Houston and they will tell you her voice. How often will that be said when Prince is brought up?

And wait...so because many people don't know that Michael's vocal range was as extensive as it was...it somehow makes Prince the better vocalist? That's like saying because you never heard of Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington had to be the better composer. It's fallacious and pretty ridiculous actually
Not a good way to judge art.

By the way,

I used Seth Riggs to support my argument; not make it.

Appreciate the response bro; I love talking good-music. Being both a big Prince and MJ fan, i'm actually curious as to why exactly you believe Prince to be the better singer / vocalist of the two.
 4 years ago '04        #226
NuttinNyce 
space
space
$3,493 | Props total: 34 34
 Cash-Da-Magic said:
The only difference being that Mariah's name is ACTUALLY synonymous with vocal prowess while Prince's is not. Prince is not nearly as renowned for his vocal ability as he is for his songwriting or musicianship. You ask someone what was special about Whitney Houston and they will tell you her voice. How often will that be said when Prince is brought up?

And wait...so because many people don't know that Michael's vocal range was as extensive as it was...it somehow makes Prince the better vocalist? That's like saying because you never heard of Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington had to be the better composer. It's fallacious and pretty ridiculous actually
Not a good way to judge art.

By the way,

I used Seth Riggs to support my argument; not make it.

Appreciate the response bro; I love talking good-music. Being both a big Prince and MJ fan, i'm actually curious as to why exactly you believe Prince to be the better singer / vocalist of the two.
I can't rank an artist in a field I've never seen him in. Alicia Keys might be one hell of a dancer but since she is usually behind a piano I can't be sure. But I've actually seen Beyonce do multiple routines. If I had to compare the dancing ability of the two shouldn't I give B the title?

I never said Prince was the hands down best male vocalist ever. I simply compared the 2 artists we've been analyzing and I can't speak to MJ's range. MJ was the master of the You Rock My World/Do You Remember The Time range so he stayed in that lane. Prince would venture out of his Falsetto box. You think all he has is Kiss range and then he gives you Diamonds and Pearls. IMO MJ had a signature (predictable) sound but I could be wrong.

Art is subjective because some think Gucci Mane is amazing and I just think hes a bumpkin
 4 years ago '07        #227
Cash-Da-Magic 
space
space
$386 | Props total: 101 101
 NuttinNyce said:
I can't rank an artist in a field I've never seen him in. Alicia Keys might be one hell of a dancer but since she is usually behind a piano I can't be sure. But I've actually seen Beyonce do multiple routines. If I had to compare the dancing ability of the two shouldn't I give B the title?

I never said Prince was the hands down best male vocalist ever. I simply compared the 2 artists we've been analyzing and I can't speak to MJ's range. MJ was the master of the You Rock My World/Do You Remember The Time range so he stayed in that lane. Prince would venture out of his Falsetto box. You think all he has is Kiss range and then he gives you Diamonds and Pearls. IMO MJ had a signature (predictable) sound but I could be wrong.

Art is subjective because some think Gucci Mane is amazing and I just think hes a bumpkin
Ah..thanks for clearing that up. I have a much better understanding of where you are coming from now.

I do disagree with your notion that Michael never ventured outside of his "YRMW/RTT" range...especially when you have tunes like "Earth Song", "Don't Stop til You Get Enough", "Dirty Diana", "Keep the Faith" and "2000 Watts".

Michael was a high tenor who loved to explore baritone and soprano.

Just some clips that highlight his range throughout the years:
(derived from a recording of a private vocal-warm up session with his vocal coach, Seth Riggs circa '94. Highlights the wide range of notes hit from F#2 to G#5)

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Peace be with you, brother.
 4 years ago '13        #228
SWAYYZE 20 heat pts20
space
space
$15,861 | Props total: 10029 10029
Who resurrected this sh*t..but...

You'll never see another MF performance like this in your MF life...

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '13        #229
greyfoxnola 2 heat pts
space
space
$100 | Props total: 17 17
Prince in a photo finish. MJ is more accessible, but Prince's catalog gets better with every listen. Love me some Michael, tho
 4 years ago '13        #230
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
In retrospect I feel Michael won cause there is a video where James Brown calls them up and the way MJ gets the crowd going in comparison to them. It's not even close
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
21 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
98 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
51 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
81 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
184 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy