Who is the greater artist: Prince or Michael Jackson?

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
57 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
70 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Akademiks bout that Twitch Irl life.
53 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who is the better artist?
Prince 82 28.98%
Michael Jackson 201 71.02%
Voters: 283. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '07        #201
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,768 | Props total: 5974 5974
 regulate said:
Riiiight.....Mj was only bigger because he had more people backing him. He didn't actually have the talent to live up to and surpass the hype. No it was because he had more people backing him. [/sarcasm]

At this point I can't anything else u say seriously. You're literally jumping all over the place fishing for reasons to discredit the fact that Michael Jackson was the greatest artist of all time. Your bias blatant as hell.
Show me where I said MJ didnt have the talent.....the point I was making is that when your working with icons like that you will be exposed to a much larger audience than someone like prince who didnt work with nearly as many big names.

Once again, I'm not discrediting MJ, I'm just stating facts....
MJ was well known long before Prince
MJ collaborated with many icons
MJ had Quincy Jones produce 3 of his albums
obviously MJ had the talent but if you think none of these had an effect on him becoming one the biggest icons in the world then i dont know what to tell ya

you say hes the greatest artist, i say hes the greatest entertainer
 4 years ago '11        #202
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,381 | Props total: 4290 4290
 regulate said:

[pic - click to view]

MJ was super deep when he needed to be. And @ the suggestion that MJ played it safe. This is the same guy who instead of announcing to the world that he had a skin disease that destroyed his pigment (it was diagnosed at age 16) he waited until it took over him completely changing his skin tone and came out with the black or white video promoting peace between whites & blacks. The same dude who sang "jew me sue me" in a song. The same dude who got the entire must industry together (except prince ) to make a song for hunger in africa. He went thru so many controversies in his life how the fu*k can anyone call him safe?

If anything outside of his s3x themed music prince was peewee compared to MJ. What a joke.....
Don't forget the big one I mentioned...

HE MADE A SHORT MOVIE FOR REMEMBER THE TIME BASED IN ANCIENT EGYPT WITH ALL BLACK PEOPLE!!! EDDIE MURPHY AS THE PHAROAH, IMAN AS THE PHAROAH'S LADY, AND HAD MAGIC JOHNSON AND TINY LISTER AS GUARDS! NOT ONLY THAT, HE HAD A HUGE PRIMETIME AIRING OF IT BACK IN 1992 ON MTV, FOX, AND BET! WOULD A DUDE WHO PLAYS IT SAFE DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT? When everyone was saying Ancient Egypt wasn't Black he had the guts to make a video with all Black people...BOSS!!!!

That boy was bad...

Last edited by Deuterion; 08-05-2013 at 09:00 PM..
 4 years ago '04        #203
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,184 | Props total: 3330 3330
I truly believe Mike was a.ssassinated, he was about to further his message. To anyone saying he was "Just Pop" you have to do more research, he was deep as the bx brethren have stated.
 4 years ago '04        #204
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,184 | Props total: 3330 3330
 regulate said:

[pic - click to view]

MJ was super deep when he needed to be. And @ the suggestion that MJ played it safe. This is the same guy who instead of announcing to the world that he had a skin disease that destroyed his pigment (it was diagnosed at age 16) he waited until it took over him completely changing his skin tone and came out with the black or white video promoting peace between whites & blacks. The same dude who sang "jew me sue me" in a song. The same dude who got the entire must industry together (except prince ) to make a song for hunger in africa. He went thru so many controversies in his life how the fu*k can anyone call him safe?

If anything outside of his s3x themed music prince was peewee compared to MJ. What a joke.....
To Princes credit he did call out the record labels with the whole name changes/slave era. But lyrically Mike made the deeper songs.
 4 years ago '10        #205
cjiscash 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,995 | Props total: 58 58
 Deuterion said:
Don't forget the big one I mentioned...

HE MADE A SHORT MOVIE FOR REMEMBER THE TIME BASED IN ANCIENT EGYPT WITH ALL BLACK PEOPLE!!! EDDIE MURPHY AS THE PHAROAH, IMAN AS THE PHAROAH'S LADY, AND HAD MAGIC JOHNSON AND TINY LISTER AS GUARDS! NOT ONLY THAT, HE HAD A HUGE PRIMETIME AIRING OF IT BACK IN 1992 ON MTV, FOX, AND BET! WOULD A DUDE WHO PLAYS IT SAFE DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT? When everyone was saying Ancient Egypt wasn't Black he had the guts to make a video with all Black people...BOSS!!!!

That boy was bad...
I've seen that video hundreds of times, but never really thought about this.

That was a pretty bold move on MJ's part.
 4 years ago '11        #206
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 cjiscash said:
I've seen that video hundreds of times, but never really thought about this.

That was a pretty bold move on MJ's part.
He was the biggest artist at that time and did not sell out...did not try to appease anyone...he just said what he felt.

Think about his album HIStory...he capitalized the first 3 letters on purpose.
 4 years ago '11        #207
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #208
Cash-Da-Magic 
space
space
$386 | Props total: 101 101
This comparison has been going on for ages. Essentially what it comes down to is Apples and Oranges. Everyone will have their preference, and strong arguments can be made for both artists. They were both legends in their own right but for the sake of debate I will engage.

Besides the fact that I am an MJ stan, I will try to look at everything subjectively. Above all, I am a Music stan and can appreciate what each artist has brought to the game.

For the record...let's note that "GREATER" does not always equate to "BETTER".

MJ vs. Prince

[pic - click to view]

Impact / Influence - Perhaps the greatest influence on pop music and modern music in general is Michael Jackson and pretty clear-cut. Michael made a blueprint for those after to follow. Without Michael you would not have the Chris Browns, the Justin Timberlakes, the Ushers, the Bruno Mars', the Lady Gagas, etc. etc. Nearly every modern musician and performer cites Michael Jackson as an inspiration and if you can see his influence all over pop culture. To deny that is blasphemous (Stephen A. voice). Prince inspired worlds of musicians and is an entertainment icon, but Michael is in another stratosphere. WINNER: Michael

Vocal range - It is typically not known or appreciated that Michael had one of the greatest vocal ranges of our time. Renowned vocal coach, Seth Riggs, who also coached Michael, had claimed his voice could transcend 3 octaves and he could melodicize in any genre with ease. Michael could go from silky smooth R&B ballads to powerful Rock rampages to classical singing and opera. Michael was clearly the more gifted vocalist and while Prince was a songbird, he could not hold candle to Mike in that area. I just fail to see the argument otherwise.
WINNER: Michael

Dance - Prince was a funky dancer back in the day. Drawing from James Brown and Jackie Wilson, Prince was fluid in dance and is actually criminally underrated in that department. But again...it should not come much of a surprise who the winner is. Michael. To my knowledge, Michael is also the only pop singer to ever be inducted into the Dancer's Hall of Fame. Michael's dancing is nearly as iconic as his music and the man himself. Much doesn't need to be said regarding this.

WINNER: and obviously...MICHAEL

Songwriting - This is where things get a little iffy and extremely debatable. Prince is one of the greatest songwriters of our time. He's penned thousands of songs and Songwriting is one of his strongest attributes/namesakes. The man bled music. I always said that in order to determine who the better of the two were in this department, it would all come down to what you value the most.
Quality, Quantity, Popularity, etc.

Prince has many more song-writing credits in his discography than Michael. In fact, Prince probably has more personal songwriting credits in his own discography than most Soul / Rock / Pop artists.

But who has the most hits? Who has the biggest hits?

If you're looking for consumer popularity, than Michael is your man. Songwriting is an area where Michael is criminally underrated. Most people don't even realize that some of the guy's biggest hits were written BY HIM. Billie Jean, Beat It, Don't Stop til' You Get Enough, We are the World, Bad, Dirty Diana, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Heal the World, Liberian Girl, etc. were all written by MICHAEL JACKSON for MICHAEL JACKSON.

Due to this portion being such a debacle, I rule this a tie.

WINNER: TIE (wouldn’t argue with either choice)

Musicianship - Prince. The guy could play 20+ instruments with precision. One of the most celebrated guitarists in history. One of the most celebrated MUSICIANS in history. Ultimate ear and FEEL for MUSIC. The guy embodied music. His entire being was music, and this is the truth. Michael was amazing at finding breathtaking harmonies, rhythms, and grooves. But he couldn't touch Prince in this department. Probably the biggest clear-cut decision in criteria. WINNER: Prince

Performance – Another very, very tough one. I know a lot of people who would just say Mike without even batting an eye. But this is not clear-cut at all. I don’t know if people forget or never paid attention, or are just miseducated, but Prince is one of the greatest performers to ever grace a stage. Prince didn’t just command the stage with just a song and dance. Prince gave you everything. He gave you energy, intensity, dancing, singing, guitar playing, piano playing…you name it. One of the most charismatic performers of all time.

Mike was another one. He was a guy who could do it all. He wouldn’t play instruments, but he would hypnotize you through dance. He could immerse you into his world through wardrobe alone. Mike helped develop what it means to be an ENTERTAINER in this day and age. Mike was one of the pioneers in stage effects. Mike’s performances went beyond him and went also to everything around him. He did whatever he could to have you leave with the impression that you just saw one of the 7 wonders of the world. He had the mind of not just a singer, not just a dancer, but of a showman. His show was his fantasy. You entered his world. He did that better than any other performer in my opinion and that is why I believe he is the greatest performer who has ever lived.

WINNER: MICHAEL

In the debate of MJ vs. Prince, I have MJ all the way.

Now who had the wettest curl?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '11        #209
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 Cash-Da-Magic said:
This comparison has been going on for ages. Essentially what it comes down to is Apples and Oranges. Everyone will have their preference, and strong arguments can be made for both artists. They were both legends in their own right but for the sake of debate I will engage.

Besides the fact that I am an MJ stan, I will try to look at everything subjectively. Above all, I am a Music stan and can appreciate what each artist has brought to the game.

MJ vs. Prince

[pic - click to view]

Impact / Influence - Perhaps the greatest influence on pop music and modern music in general is Michael Jackson and pretty clear-cut. Michael made a blueprint for those after to follow. Without Michael you would not have the Chris Browns, the Justin Timberlakes, the Ushers, the Bruno Mars', the Lady Gagas, etc. etc. Nearly every modern musician and performer cites Michael Jackson as an inspiration and if you can see his influence all over pop culture. To deny that is blasphemous (Stephen A. voice). Prince inspired worlds of musicians and is an entertainment icon, but Michael is in another stratosphere. WINNER: Michael

Vocal range - It is typically not known or appreciated that Michael had one of the greatest vocal ranges of our time. Renowned vocal coach, Seth Riggs, who also coached Michael, had claimed his voice could transcend 3 octaves and he could melodicize in any genre with ease. Michael could go from silky smooth R&B ballads to powerful Rock rampages to classical singing and opera. Michael was clearly the more gifted vocalist and while Prince was a songbird, he could not hold candle to Mike in that area. I just fail to see the argument otherwise.

Dance - Prince was a funky dancer back in the day. Drawing from James Brown and Jackie Wilson, Prince was fluid in dance and is actually criminally underrated in that department. But again...it should not come much of a surprise who the winner is. Michael. To my knowledge, Michael is also the only pop singer to ever be inducted into the Dancer's Hall of Fame. Michael's dancing is nearly as iconic as his music and the man himself. Much doesn't need to be said regarding this.

Songwriting - This is where things get a little iffy and extremely debatable. Prince is one of the greatest songwriters of our time. He's penned thousands of songs and Songwriting is one of his strongest attributes/namesakes. The man bled music. I always said that in order to determine who the better of the two were in this department, it would all come down to what you value the most.

Prince has many more song-writing credits in his discography than Michael. In fact, Prince probably has more personal songwriting credits in his own discography than most Soul / Rock / Pop artists.

-snip-
This is as unbiased as you can get...anything after this is arguing for arguments sake.

4 years ago '04        #210
RatedQue 51 heat pts51
space
space
$3,375 | Props total: 1045 1045
I rock with Prince hard but Prince did not have his own video game. Mike wins off that alone.
 4 years ago '04        #211
kc10785 
space
space
$4,270 | Props total: 170 170
Artist/Muscian - Prince

Performer - MJ
 4 years ago '07        #212
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,768 | Props total: 5974 5974
 SkateboardT said:
you act like these people weren't SUPERSTARS at the time.

You're talking about the period of time when Black Celebrities were the biggest celebrities on the planet bruh. Rap was beginning to take hold, Eddie Murphy was a movie star, Iman was the biggest supermodel in the world, and Michael Jackson was the biggest mainstream act in the world. This was the prime time that white people were supporting black entertainers FAR AND AWAY more than black people were supporting white entertainers. Black entertainers were the most popular entertainers during the 80's.

So miss me with that "he pushed the envelope and didn't sell out" sh*t, you weren't there and I can tell by the way you talk about it. He had the highest paid supermodel at the time, and the highest paid actor, not selling out my a.ss.

The irony, MJ IS BETTER CUZ HE DIDN'T SELL OUT!!!!

oh word? Michael Didn't sell out? Ok I'm just gonna leave this here.......fu*k boi.
damn bruh why you so hostile

if you take take the names out of it and just look at the comparison....

artist A has 25 albums in which he wrote/produced/arranged/sang the majority of...

artist B has 10 albums in which he wrote/sang the majority

i honestly dont see how you can say B is a better ARTIST than A

this debate will go on for eternity
 4 years ago '05        #213
Gremlin 1095 heat pts1095
space
space
$9,875 | Props total: 4842 4842

[video - click to view]

3:23 WOW!
 4 years ago '11        #214
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 regulate said:
This guy completely lost it.

Why are you so mad?
He forgot to take his meds...I bet he was shaking when he was typing that.
 4 years ago '08        #215
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,028 | Props total: 5088 5088
 Guvnor said:
He never did no album by himself. Stop lying.

He always had an engineer with him and other musicians play out parts for him too.
Got check the credits homie
 4 years ago '13        #216
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Soda Pop said:
Got check the credits homie
Im telling you that if you check the album credits there will in the very least be an engineer listed in the album credits

On another note MJ won.
 4 years ago '13        #217
space
space
 SkateboardT said:
you act like these people weren't SUPERSTARS at the time.

You're talking about the period of time when Black Celebrities were the biggest celebrities on the planet bruh. Rap was beginning to take hold, Eddie Murphy was a movie star, Iman was the biggest supermodel in the world, and Michael Jackson was the biggest mainstream act in the world. This was the prime time that white people were supporting black entertainers FAR AND AWAY more than black people were supporting white entertainers. Black entertainers were the most popular entertainers during the 80's.

So miss me with that "he pushed the envelope and didn't sell out" sh*t, you weren't there and I can tell by the way you talk about it. He had the highest paid supermodel at the time, and the highest paid actor, not selling out my a.ss.

The irony, MJ IS BETTER CUZ HE DIDN'T SELL OUT!!!!

oh word? Michael Didn't sell out? Ok I'm just gonna leave this here.......fu*k boi.
Prince sold out too

He did it even worse than MJ too

Im just gonna leave this here.

unique from prince.org said:
he wrote "you got the right one baby" as sung by ray charles whilst driving a car in a pepsi max advert, there is a coca cola tune listed as written by him, the verizon ad, the chevy print and billboard ad's mentioning little red corvette, he wrote the theme tune for shake and vac and the song secret lemonade drinker for r whytes. he also appeared in a couple of ad's for DFS

By the way, since when did doing commercial advertisemnts become selling out?

All artist do commercials at one point or another
 4 years ago '13        #218
space
space
 Cash-Da-Magic said:

MJ vs. Prince

[pic - click to view]

If you're looking for consumer popularity, than Michael is your man. Songwriting is an area where Michael is criminally underrated. Most people don't even realize that some of the guy's biggest hits were written BY HIM. Billie Jean, Beat It, Don't Stop til' You Get Enough, We are the World, Bad, Dirty Diana, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Heal the World, Liberian Girl, etc. were all written by MICHAEL JACKSON for MICHAEL JACKSON.

Due to this portion being such a debacle, I rule this a tie.

WINNER: TIE (wouldn’t argue with either choice)

Musicianship - Prince. The guy could play 20+ instruments with precision. One of the most celebrated guitarists in history. One of the most celebrated MUSICIANS in history. Ultimate ear and FEEL for MUSIC. The guy embodied music. His entire being was music, and this is the truth. Michael was amazing at finding breathtaking harmonies, rhythms, and grooves. But he couldn't touch Prince in this department. Probably the biggest clear-cut decision in criteria. WINNER: Prince

Performance – Another very, very tough one. I know a lot of people who would just say Mike without even batting an eye. But this is not clear-cut at all. I don’t know if people forget or never paid attention, or are just miseducated, but Prince is one of the greatest performers to ever grace a stage. Prince didn’t just command the stage with just a song and dance. Prince gave you everything. He gave you energy, intensity, dancing, singing, guitar playing, piano playing…you name it. One of the most charismatic performers of all time.

Mike was another one. He was a guy who could do it all. He wouldn’t play instruments, but he would hypnotize you through dance. He could immerse you into his world through wardrobe alone. Mike helped develop what it means to be an ENTERTAINER in this day and age. Mike was one of the pioneers in stage effects. Mike’s performances went beyond him and went also to everything around him. He did whatever he could to have you leave with the impression that you just saw one of the 7 wonders of the world. He had the mind of not just a singer, not just a dancer, but of a showman. His show was his fantasy. You entered his world. He did that better than any other performer in my opinion and that is why I believe he is the greatest performer who has ever lived.

WINNER: MICHAEL

In the debate of MJ vs. Prince, I have MJ all the way.

Now who had the wettest curl?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

I don't know how i missed this. But you where right,especially on your point about MJ having the better vocal abilities.

Very Good Post.
 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM         #219
Kitsch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gremlin said:

3:23 WOW!

Classic.

I voted Prince but dude is definitely a weirdo.

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #220
Cash-Da-Magic 
space
space
$386 | Props total: 101 101
I bumped the whole 'Controversy' and 'Purple Rain' albums during my entire flight out the country. Classic work. Don't get me wrong.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jump reveals Beerus, Hit and Goku Black as playable characters for Dragon Ball..
39 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
54 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
113 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy