Who is the greater artist: Prince or Michael Jackson?

most viewed right now
 138
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 134
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
101 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 89
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 77
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
45 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Who is the better artist?
Prince 82 28.98%
Michael Jackson 201 71.02%
Voters: 283. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '13        #181
Vercetti 61 heat pts61
space
avatar space
space
$5,272 | Props total: 4707 4707
 Guvnor said:
The Video got took down by Prince's team

Therefore your point is not proven.

We don't believe you, you need working audio.
It's working fine for me.

Try this link

[video - click to view]

 4 years ago '13        #182
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
avatar space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Vercetti said:
It's working fine for me.

Try this link
Nope.

You overseas?

Edit:Regulate beat me to it.
 4 years ago '04        #183
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
avatar space
space
$20,183 | Props total: 3329 3329
What about kid Mike? The greatest kid singer of all time, and head man of a band at 6
 4 years ago '10        #184
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
avatar space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
 regulate said:
Not sure what that last part's supposed to mean but I already answered this question:



Prince's voice and range was great but not very distinct. Where as there isn't one other artist who had a voice like Mike's.It was that distinct. And another great feature of it was that you could literally hear how after every album his voice would get even deeper. From Off the wall to invincible it was like a slightly different voice each time. I know everyone's voice gets deeper as they age but Mike's was so profound you could hear the change effortlessly. By his older years he could sing pretty damn low (2000 watts, shout, etc) when he couldn't in his younger days. I prefer uniqueness.
Like I said before in the earlier pages of this thread, singing in falsetto all the time doesn't not automatically mean you are a spectacular singer. Any person that knows anything about vocals would tell you that Prince had the wider range and better vocal abilities.

Also like I say any time this discussion comes up, Prince will never have the same amount of influence/fame as MJ.

Why?

1. MJ made POP music.
2. MJ was nurtured as a kid into fame.
3. MJ danced.

But just based of the skills that Prince has of playing most of his instruments, writing most of his stuff, producing most of his stuff, trying out a wide range of different sounds etc and STILL being held in the same light as someone with enormous amounts of money and promotion backing him since childhood, shows the presence of a musical genius.

Creatively and artistically, no one is seeing Prince til this day. Bring that talk about Michael's influence to the side. This discussion ain't about that.
 4 years ago '13        #185
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122 OP
space
avatar space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Veno da Don said:
What about kid Mike? The greatest kid singer of all time, and head man of a band at 6
That was genius in of itself.

I mean that was him at an extremely young age.
 4 years ago '11        #186
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
Like I said before in the earlier pages of this thread, singing in falsetto all the time doesn't not automatically mean you are a spectacular singer. Any person that knows anything about vocals would tell you that Prince had the wider range and better vocal abilities.

Also like I say any time this discussion comes up, Prince will never have the same amount of influence/fame as MJ.

Why?

1. MJ made POP music.
2. MJ was nurtured as a kid into fame.
3. MJ danced.

But just based of the skills that Prince has of playing most of his instruments, writing most of his stuff, producing most of his stuff, trying out a wide range of different sounds etc and STILL being held in the same light as someone with enormous amounts of money and promotion backing him since childhood, shows the presence of a musical genius.

Creatively and artistically, no one is seeing Prince til this day. Bring that talk about Michael's influence to the side. This discussion ain't about that.
If Rock With You, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Beat It, Man in the Mirror, Jam, Dangerous are pop then pretty much everything is pop.
 4 years ago '10        #187
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
avatar space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
 Deuterion said:
If Rock With You, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Beat It, Man in the Mirror, Jam, Dangerous are pop then pretty much everything is pop.
You know exactly what I meant. Don't even try to pull that sophistry.
 4 years ago '11        #188
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
You know exactly what I meant. Don't even try to pull that sophistry.
No I don't. You said he made Pop when he made Funk, Rock, RnB, New Jack Swing, and more.
 4 years ago '10        #189
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
avatar space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
 Deuterion said:
No I don't. You said he made Pop when he made Funk, Rock, RnB, New Jack Swing, and more.
Playing dumb again. Ask anybody what kind of artist Michael Jackson was. You'll receive "Pop" as an answer. Isn't his nickname also "The King of Pop"?

And nice wiki search. There's a difference between doing completely different music genres and doing a certain genre of music with ELEMENTS of others.
 4 years ago '11        #190
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
Playing dumb again. Ask anybody what kind of artist Michael Jackson was. You'll receive "Pop" as an answer. Isn't his nickname also "The King of Pop"?

And nice wiki search. There's a difference between doing completely different music genres and doing a certain genre of music with ELEMENTS of others.
Pop is not a genre of music though.
 4 years ago '10        #191
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
avatar space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
Yadda yadda yadda...there is also a difference between popular music and POP music. Get it together bruh
 4 years ago '11        #192
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
Yadda yadda yadda...there is also a difference between popular music and POP music. Get it together bruh
108 more people voted for MJ...I don't need to get anything together...hee hee.

YOU'VE BEEN HIT BY...A SMOOTH CRIMINAL....



OWWWWWWW!
 4 years ago '07        #193
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,767 | Props total: 5972 5972
 regulate said:
MJ and Prince pretty much started at the same level and it was Mj's music that was powerful enough to break thru all those barriers not Prince's.
Some of you Prince fans are funny as hell trying to dismiss Michael Jackson as some manufactured artist with minimal talent.
i didnt know prince was a star since 6 years old and was lead singer of one of the most popular groups on one of the biggest record labels of all time

nobody is dismissing MJs talent(not me at least) but its obvious prince was more talented musically
 4 years ago '13        #194
Vercetti 61 heat pts61
space
avatar space
space
$5,272 | Props total: 4707 4707
Pop, Funk, Folk, Raggae, Rock n Roll, Rap, Soul, RnB, Jazz, House etc. Prince has done everything. The most diverse artist in history. He never was pidgeon holed, he created what he wanted and took risks other artist would sh*t bricks even thinking of doing.

This is an artist who created one of the most successful albums ever- Purple Rain, then the following year, rather than create something similar and ride the coat tails of PR's success, he went completely left field and made a psychadelic album- ATWIAD. a genius! Who would have the balls to do that? Real talk.

I've always thought MJ played it safe. He always had this 'perfect goody two shoes' image that he felt he had to maintain. I don't think he truly was allowed to express himself musically and get intimate. Whereas Prince didn't give a fck! That's why Prince's catalogue is more interesting and diverse than MJ's.
 4 years ago '11        #195
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 Vercetti said:
Pop, Funk, Folk, Raggae, Rock n Roll, Rap, Soul, RnB, Jazz, House etc. Prince has done everything. The most diverse artist in history. He never was pidgeon holed, he created what he wanted and took risks other artist would sh*t bricks even thinking of doing.

This is an artist who created one of the most successful albums ever- Purple Rain, then the following year, rather than create something similar and ride the coat tails of PR's success, he went completely left field and made a psychadelic album- ATWIAD. a genius! Who would have the balls to do that? Real talk.

I've always thought MJ played it safe. He always had this 'perfect goody two shoes' image that he felt he had to maintain. I don't think he truly was allowed to express himself musically and get intimate. Whereas Prince didn't give a fck! That's why Prince's catalogue is more interesting and diverse than MJ's.
You must not listen to the lyrics because Mike's music was deep.

Jam
She pray to God, to Buddha, then she sings a Talmud song
Confusions contradict the self, do we know right from wrong?
I just want you to recognize me in the temple,
You can't hurt me, I've found peace within myself
Go with it, go with it

He's talking about the confusion in the world and how you can't hurt him because he has internal peace.

Another Part of Me
We're Sendin' Out
A Major Love
And This Is Our
Message To You
(Message To You)
The Planets Are Linin' Up
We're Bringin' Brighter Days
They're All In Line
Waitin' For You
Can't You See . . .?
You're Just Another Part Of Me . .
He's talking about how we need to wake up and realize that we're all one people regardless of race, religion, or etc.

Man in the Mirror
I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change

If you want to change the world you need to begin with yourself.

They Don't Really Care About Us
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me of my pride, oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy, set me free

Talking about how the Black man is oppressed...does this sound like manufactured pop music to you?

Black or White
I Ain't Scared Of
Your Brother
I Ain't Scared Of No Sheets
I Ain't Scare Of Nobody

Mike just said he's not afraid of anyone including the KKK...that's sooooooo pop.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
I Took My Baby To The Doctor
With A Fever, But Nothing He Found
By The Time This Hit The Street
They Said She Had A Breakdown

Talking about how the media always makes things up.

Why You Wanna Trip On Me
They Say I'm Different
They Don't Understand
But There's A Bigger Problem
That's Much More In Demand
You Got World Hunger
Not Enough To Eat
So There's Really No Time
To Be Trippin' On Me

He put it out there...there's people who have no food to eat but the media chooses to focus on him.

This is not watered down mainstream music at all...he said pretty controversial stuff that people didn't catch because it was jammin'. In addition, you can see that it was his opinions and personality in his music...Mike told the labels what he was going to release and not vice versa.


Last edited by Deuterion; 08-05-2013 at 07:55 PM..
 4 years ago '07        #196
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,767 | Props total: 5972 5972
 Vercetti said:

I've always thought MJ played it safe. He always had this 'perfect goody two shoes' image that he felt he had to maintain. I don't think he truly was allowed to express himself musically and get intimate. Whereas Prince didn't give a fck! That's why Prince's catalogue is more interesting and diverse than MJ's.
"Bad" was supposed to be the album that showed he wasnt some all smiles guy
 4 years ago '11        #197
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4272 4272
 KoolBreeze said:
"Bad" was supposed to be the album that showed he wasnt some all smiles guy
I think the album where he really pulled it off was Dangerous because not only did he drop tracks like Why You Wanna Trip On Me and Jam which went directly at the establishment...He dropped Remember the Time and had all Black people in the video.

Mike was controversial...you have all these people callin' Ancient Egyptians White and then the biggest Musician in the world makes a video in Egypt with all Black people.

Definitely not a pop move, it's more Public Enemy to me.


EDDIE MURPHY WAS THE PHAROAH!!!!!

I don't think n*ggaz really knew what Mike was about. They think you can't be pro Black without a dishiki on.

Bruh had millions of people waiting for the premiere of that video after In Living Color and he exposed them all to a Black Egypt....

...but Mike was "safe"...that's bullsh*t...don't forget.

"Jew me, sue me" and "kick me, k!ke me".


Last edited by Deuterion; 08-05-2013 at 08:06 PM..
 4 years ago '07        #198
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,767 | Props total: 5972 5972
man im not into illumnati sh*t but look on youtube, some of MJs videos had mad symbolism in them that were supposed to show him f!ghting the establishment and sh*t. i dont know if its true but if it is its crazy
 4 years ago '07        #199
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,767 | Props total: 5972 5972
 regulate said:
I like how you cherry picked the hell out of my post. I'll take that as proof you have no counter argument to those points i made.

And now you wanna attribute Mike's popularity to his young jackson 5 days If that was the case what happened from 1974 - 1978. Michael and the jacksons went thru a lull period where there records werent selling and hardly being played on the radio? It didn't seem to help out then?

Just look at the poll and face it. Prince is no where near Mike's level.
yes, MJ is obviously the bigger icon bc he had so many people backing him. when you work with paul mccartney, mick jagger, quincy jones, diana ross, and yes even eddie murphy plus so many other icons you open yourself up for a lot more exposure.

so MJs jackson 5 days had nothing to do with his popularity? lull period or not people knew who michael jackson was years before prince.

a poll of peoples opinions doesnt make one side right or wrong but how can you honestly disagree that prince was more talented musically than MJ?
 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM         #200
MoP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Prince is obviously the better artist because corpses can't be anything but corpses
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 53
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
38 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 47
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
72 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 23
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 22
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
110 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 20
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 20
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
248 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
 13
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy