Jul 31 - Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages (wants $15hr)

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
74 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '08        #1
7224 pageviews
160 comments

T2THEONE 859 heat pts859
space
space
$6,450 | Props total: 1678 1678
Jul 31 - Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages (wants $15hr)

visit this link image

visit this link Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages | Fox News

Don’t expect to have it your way today at some fast-food restaurants across the country.
Workers at the nation’s best known fast-food restaurants in seven cities across America are planning to walk off the job Monday to protest what they say are wages that are too low to live on.

In a move orchestrated with the help of powerful labor unions and clergy groups, the workers plan to strike for a day to demand their wages be doubled.

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC.

Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

A network of local community groups, clergy and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), are backing the strike.

“SEIU members, like all service-sector workers, are worse off when large fast-food and retail companies are able to hold down wages and push benefit standards for working people,” Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, told the Washington Post.

In New York City, the protests were organized by a group called Fast Food Forward, which states its Twitter account: "No one can survive on $7.25."

"A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work," Fast Food Forward director Jonathan Westin told CBS New York. "The workers are striking over the fact that they can’t continue to maintain their families on the wages they’re being paid in the fast-food industry."

The group posted a photograph on its Twitter account early Monday depicting workers who have “walked out” in New York.

Fast-food workers in New York City earn an average salary of $11,000 annually. That’s less than half of the average daily salary — $25,000 — for most fast-food restaurant CEOs. Employees in the $200 billion industry make 25 percent of the money they need to survive in New York City while working at fast-food restaurants, according to the group’s website.

As of early Monday, more than 120,000 people have signed Fast Food Forward's online petition calling for higher wages in the industry.

Robert Wilson, Jr., a 25-year-old McDonald’s employee in Chicago, told The Washington Post that he makes $8.60 an hour after seven years on the job. A previous walkout in April led to “small victories,” he said, including additional hours and slight raises.

“I’m not really concerned about losing my job,” Wilson told The Washington Post. “If I don’t get anything, I am in a lose-lose situation. I can still get fired at any time.”

Industry representatives, meanwhile, say that most fast-food restaurants operate on a meager profit margin, making it impossible to increase employee wages. But a report issued last week by the National Employment Law Project seemingly refutes part of that a.ssertion, as fewer than one in 50 jobs in fast-food restaurants are managerial.

And becoming a franchise owner requires the better part of $1 million in some cases, making that option out of reach for the overwhelming majority of workers.

160 comments for "Jul 31 - Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages (wants $15hr)"

4 years ago '08        #2
T2THEONE 859 heat pts859 OP
space
space

[video - click to view]

Intresting
 4 years ago '04        #3
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,872 | Props total: 1907 1907
If McDonald's doubled their employees wages, a Big Mac would only cost $0.68 more.

And I'm not saying they should earn $15.00 an hour, but at least $10-11
 4 years ago '04        #4
jsmooth-117 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$11,536 | Props total: 6459 6459
I am a personal banker and my base pay is 16.00 and I make a good living I feel. My responsiblities far outweigh theirs at McDonald's. No way in hell 15.00 is justifiable. Period
 4 years ago '10        #5
SickaMorStyle 402 heat pts402
space
space
$3,994 | Props total: 1 1
 T2THEONE said:

Intresting
Good sh*t I was just gonna throw this up...

Makes me wanna drive though McDonalds, order a bunch of custom food and then leave before I pay.
 4 years ago '04        #6
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
 jsmooth-117 said:
I am a personal banker and my base pay is 16.00 and I make a good living I feel. My responsiblities far outweigh theirs at McDonald's. No way in hell 15.00 is justifiable. Period
Considering what banks rake in, you deserve $20.00 an hour and these workers $10.00 at least.

fu*k these CEOs. The day to day employees are the backbone of these companies. They just sit back and profit off of your hard work.
 4 years ago '08        #7
space
space
 SickaMorStyle said:
Good sh*t I was just gonna throw this up...

Makes me wanna drive though McDonalds, order a bunch of custom food and then leave before I pay.
Thanks, I don't mess with fast food restaurants , but I feel you.
 4 years ago '08        #8
space
space
 matelyan said:
If McDonald's doubled their employees wages, a Big Mac would only cost $0.68 more.

And I'm not saying they should earn $15.00 an hour, but at least $10-11

At least you think they should get a higher wage.
 4 years ago '11        #9
Sin 1263 heat pts1263
space
space
$18,447 | Props total: 39319 39319
if they get $15 im going to my boss for a raise
 4 years ago '08        #10
space
space
 sincerethought said:
if they get $15 im going to my boss for a raise
You and EVERYBODY else
 4 years ago '07        #11
kuntree_swagger 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,041 | Props total: 32 32
goto school, get something higher then highschool diploma or a GED and earn your pay.....life is not that hard.....but when you dont take advantage of the sh*t placed infront of you ...then you are the only ones to blame on your suffering......

Janitors make good money, but people dont wanna deal with sh*t......I'd rather deal with sh*t and make 11-12 a hour over sh*tty rude a.ss people in fast food and just make 8-9 a hour
 4 years ago '04        #12
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,884 | Props total: 17436 17436
They def deserve more than 725...thats ridiculous
 4 years ago '04        #13
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
 kuntree_swagger said:
goto school, get something higher then highschool diploma or a GED and earn your pay.....life is not that hard.....but when you dont take advantage of the sh*t placed infront of you ...then you are the only ones to blame on your suffering......

Janitors make good money, but people dont wanna deal with sh*t......I'd rather deal with sh*t and make 11-12 a hour over sh*tty rude a.ss people in fast food and just make 8-9 a hour
Education is expensive and not for everyone. There are just some people not cut out for higher learning and specialized education. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to earn a decent wage that allows them to ensure they have food on the table and a roof over their heads. Plus more money means they have the opportunity to spend that money and that could benefit other industries.

We are vilifying poor and low wage workers without ever questioning the salaries and motives of the CEOs of their companies. What does the McDonald's CEO do that justifies his $8.75 Million salary? Workers could earn more money and no one has to suffer. These workers don't need their salaries doubled, but they should get more considering that less than 20% of McDonald's revenue goes to the backbone, day to day workers who actually keep the company running and making money.

And the proof is in the figures. The CEOs could get an increase in wages as well, and the company would still be financially OK.

These companies are placing profits before people. Greed is to blame.
 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM         #14
Tha Problum 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good, protest and lose your job. My little cousins about to be in high school they'll be looking for workers. He can get something on his resume then move on to better things, unlike these fools that work there their entire lives and complain
 4 years ago '04        #15
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
 Tha Problum said:
Good, protest and lose your job. My little cousins about to be in high school they'll be looking for workers. He can get something on his resume then move on to better things, unlike these fools that work there their entire lives and complain
So we talk down and vilify the day to day workers, who actually keep the company operating and generating revenue, but never even have a discussion on the salaries of CEOs.

Fast Food employees don't deserve $15 an hour. They do however deserve a raise. And based on the figures, a raise in salaries, even the CEO's, wouldn't result in a decline in the profitability of the company.

We call people desiring decent wages and a higher standard of living fools and complainers. But never address the greed and exuberant salaries of their CEOs.
 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM         #16
JayDee11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kuntree_swagger said:

While everyone should value education, please don't act as if financial ruin is guaranteed without it. I have a degree and make a damn good salary. However, I made more money while I was contracting overseas years ago. Before I even even earned my first college credit. If it wasn't for a herniated disc, I would probably still be overseas making even more than I make now. It's not about education. It about corporations neglecting their #1 a.sset. I don't understand how people can witness this obvious mistreatment and still find ways to justify it. You say "earn your pay" but what exactly do you think these workers do? You think McDonalds is able to serve over 75 burgers every second because their employees sit around, scratching their a.sses? I never worked a day in a fast food restaurant but it should be common sense that the position is extremely demanding. I hope they get that $15 an hour raise because the sheer madness of the position combined with the years of neglect equates to them deserving every damn penny.
 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM         #17
Tha Problum 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 matelyan said:
So we talk down and vilify the day to day workers, who actually keep the company operating and generating revenue, but never even have a discussion on the salaries of CEOs.

Fast Food employees don't deserve $15 an hour. They do however deserve a raise. And based on the figures, a raise in salaries, even the CEO's, wouldn't result in a decline in the profitability of the company.

We call people desiring decent wages and a higher standard of living fools and complainers. But never address the greed and exuberant salaries of their CEOs.
I can't complain about a CEO's salary. It's their company, they run things, and make the rules so long as they're abiding by the laws it is what it is. There's far too many intricacies that go into it, some of which I'm sure most of us are oblivious to, to be determining what a ceo of a major corporation like that can/should pay themselves.

As far as the actual workers, something which most of us have knowledge of through first hand experiences in the past or through friends it is to my understanding they receive yearly raises. I'm sure it could be a quarter, 50 cents, a dollar, etc. I know back when I was in like 10th grade there was one kid who worked for mcdonalds, and he made more than all of us before I got on my grind. There's plenty of options on that level of work, such as going to retail, building up that customer service resume and going into something else, or waitressing, bartending, etc. There's ways to make bread out here but people aint trying to hear that. 15 dollars to work at mcdonalds is absurd.
 4 years ago '11        #18
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 1575 1575
 Tha Problum said:
I can't complain about a CEO's salary. It's their company, they run things, and make the rules so long as they're abiding by the laws it is what it is. There's far too many intricacies that go into it, some of which I'm sure most of us are oblivious to, to be determining what a ceo of a major corporation like that can/should pay themselves.

As far as the actual workers, something which most of us have knowledge of through first hand experiences in the past or through friends it is to my understanding they receive yearly raises. I'm sure it could be a quarter, 50 cents, a dollar, etc. I know back when I was in like 10th grade there was one kid who worked for mcdonalds, and he made more than all of us before I got on my grind. There's plenty of options on that level of work, such as going to retail, building up that customer service resume and going into something else, or waitressing, bartending, etc. There's ways to make bread out here but people aint trying to hear that. 15 dollars to work at mcdonalds is absurd.
most ceo's don't own the company though. i don't think anyone has a problem with founders/owners making exorbitant amounts of money. gates, jobs, zuckerberg, etc put the capital in to found the companies. these are board appointed managers. their pay has increased at a rate well above that of the worker. excerpt from a thinkprogess article:

"In 1978, CEOs took home 26.5 times more than the average worker. They now make roughly 206 times more than workers, EPI found. The pay isn’t always tied to the performance of their businesses — as ThinkProgress has noted, CEOs at companies like Bank of America often pocket huge pay increases even as the company’s stock price plummets and jobs are cut."

significantly increase the salary and watch how much more pride people take in their jobs. plus this is good for the economy. higher wages = more taxes for schools, public services, etc.

not sure who would be against this
 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM         #19
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jsmooth-117 said:
Doesn't that mean you should f!ght to make your pay higher instead of wanting someone else's pay to be lower? That's some quicksand sh*t.
 4 years ago '13        #20
WizLatifa 44 heat pts44
space
space
$2,902 | Props total: 626 626
 matelyan said:

Ok so what are you going to do ? The CEOs owe them nothing in a capitalist society, if you don't like the wage quit. I don't mean to be harsh but thats how things are , they can protest all they want for better wages but their lack of skills grants them no leverage so they can easily be replaced. 10 -11 would be reasonable but the top dogs don't want to to take a pay cut and they shouldn't have to based on the ideals this country was built on. I might sound condescending but thats just how things work in our self interest-based and individualized society.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
108 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
56 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
147 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
341 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy