Public Enemy: 'Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar aren't hip-hop'

most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '04        #141
lfletcher 
space
space
$2,167 | Props total: 136 136
 dubious76 said:
It's a billion dollar industry for WHO though? Live Nation? Radio 1? Samsung? Not for the rappers, managers, DJs...they make peanuts. I don't expect someone who doesn't understand the full ramifications of a culture that's be monetized for capital gain to realize what's been lost in the process.

If artists aren't benefiting how's Diddy and Hov worth almost $500M each? The artists that getting pennies are comfortable being just artists, not thinking about their future and getting taken advantage of. Its their fault and I don't feel sorry for any of them.

How many big hip hop artists from 'back in the day' are broke right now? I wonder if A Tribe Called Quest which was one of the best in their day netted $30-40K off of a successful album or Nas who didn't have rights to his own publishing would for Illmatic (his fault) would mind getting some $$ from big endorsements from Live Nation, Radio 1 or Samsung back then?

If it wasn't selling and making a profit they wouldn't be selling it? Somebody is paying so fans must like what they're getting. Theirs good and bad hip hop now just like back in the day; just more of each.

Its a BUSINESS and as long as we continue getting good music WHO are we to judge and point the finger at WHO is profiting from it?
 4 years ago '04        #142
biscuit 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,287 | Props total: 3879 3879
I concur.

Chuck is 100% right. Not enough people who claim they listen to hip-hop have taken the time to do the history to the culture.
 4 years ago '12        #143
styxz 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,309 | Props total: 436 436
 lfletcher said:
If artists aren't benefiting how's Diddy and Hov worth almost $500M each? The artists that getting pennies are comfortable being just artists, not thinking about their future and getting taken advantage of. Its their fault and I don't feel sorry for any of them.

How many big hip hop artists from 'back in the day' are broke right now? I wonder if A Tribe Called Quest which was one of the best in their day netted $30-40K off of a successful album or Nas who didn't have rights to his own publishing would for Illmatic (his fault) would mind getting some $$ from big endorsements from Live Nation, Radio 1 or Samsung back then?

If it wasn't selling and making a profit they wouldn't be selling it? Somebody is paying so fans must like what they're getting. Theirs good and bad hip hop now just like back in the day; just more of each.

Its a BUSINESS and as long as we continue getting good music WHO are we to judge and point the finger at WHO is profiting from it?
You gotta understand the climate hip-hop came out of to get way the heads are vexed. Look up anything from regan era. Look at the state of black and brown youth.

And you bodied ya self with that tribe part.

You do realize the rappers sold waaaaaayyyy more back pre 2001 right? You realize 360 deals were less popular back then right? You gotta know what you're talking about before you just start saying $hit my dude.
 4 years ago '10        #144
smokinthe420 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,433 | Props total: 6603 6603
Said lil Wayne is making good music

::insertjordanlaughinghisassoffgif::
 4 years ago '05        #145
scooter28Scoote 
space
space
space
$345 | Props total: 1 1
 BtMkRs said:
I understand chuck, but he's being an old man with this one.

Hey Producers up here, Isnt Trap mainly made at 140 tempo ?
Naw thats double time, trap is really at 70 BPM, n*ggas put the tempo at 140 in order to sequence drum rolls and sh*t easier.
 4 years ago '09        #146
ii_show_off 56 heat pts56
space
space
$4,486 | Props total: 1891 1891
 Ricky Retardo said:
i can't.

He speaking of himself cause he obviously is not listening to everything those artists make. just the records that are on the radio or overly popularized.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z
He's right tho.. It's just rap now.. Only People really dancing to most of the rap music out are strippers which works for them because of the slower tempo..
 4 years ago '07        #147
varun313 
space
space
space
$3,359 | Props total: 1095 1095
 erickonasis said:
How did we go from ?

to

This dude says the same sh*t over and over at least 50 times the same sh*t in this weird a.ss fake a.ss bone thugs voice.....Man GTFOH

is every song supposed to be a fu*ken novel?? why not just go read a fu*ken book son?

hip hop wouldnt exist today if they kept making those tracks. It had to change
 4 years ago '04        #148
polorsport2345 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,168 | Props total: 1625 1625
 Maddog345 said:

[pic - click to view]

This article is void.
 4 years ago '10        #149
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
$4,865 | Props total: 7108 7108
 lfletcher said:

If Hip Hop remained what PE made it, it wouldn't be where its been for several years now... a billion dollar industry.
I, for one, would have no problem with that.

I don't think people are understanding what Chuck is saying.
 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM         #150
eouia 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I got ta piss
 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM         #151
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ricky Retardo said:
i can't.

He speaking of himself cause he obviously is not listening to everything those artists make. just the records that are on the radio or overly popularized.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z
Miss me with that foolish Jay Z line. All Jay talks about is money. He's as shallow as it gets.

"My presence is charity" - Jay Z

Chuck D is absolutely correct and this guy's response is exactly what is wrong with today's insecure and naive fans. Y'all are so down on yourselves and your own lives, you gotta listen to someone else ball out to feel good....Music used to empower you to have fun minus dancing to someone rapping about what you can't buy or how he can fu*k your girl....just sayin'
 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM         #152
3rdcoasta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i understand what he's saying but i disagree. hip hop has changed and like anything if you dont change (not selling out) with the times, you get rolled over.

hip hop is still alive...they still rap about poverty, the struggle, the money, cars and clothes pimpin, skills, women, bi*ches, beefs...all that sh*t is there.

just cause the industry aint promoting ur favorite artist/mc; doesn't mean hip hop is dead....Nas!!!

y'all letting the money, prestige and industry predict hip hop...i dont care how relevant or irrelevant an artist is, if i like him ima listen and support him.

let these n*ggas be themselves, i dont want jayz to sound like LL, i dont want immortal technique to sound like pac, i dont want soop dogg to sound like Kool mo dee, i dont want nas to sound like scarface, i dont want nelly to sound like krs 1, i dont want outkast to sound like rundmc, i dont want eminem to sound like rakim and so on...
 4 years ago '04        #153
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,905 | Props total: 17466 17466
 dlettern said:
..Music used to empower you to have fun minus dancing to someone rapping about what you can't buy or how he can fu*k your girl....just sayin'
THIS......Someone gets it...but you cant blame them for not knowing. I used to hate my parents music when i was younger but little did i know i loved it because thats the music that was being used to make hip hop...Now i think its the best
 4 years ago '04        #154
Propel Water 20 heat pts20
space
space
$19,406 | Props total: 4304 4304
tell them to shut the fu*k up. kendrick aint hiphop? bi*ch did you hear his cd?
 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM         #155
Throbbin' Thicke 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dubious76 said:
You do realize that if there was PE, Run DMC and BDP, there wouldn't even BE an Outkast?
Rap would've died like disco because it was only bubble gum rap for ages until those three came along.

I tell you man, the new kids have no respect. I was at the Premier vs. Pete Rock show, Kurtis Blow was hosting and he was just playfully freestyling while they were warming up. Kids started booing, I almost got into a f!ght with a couple youngins because they were booing one of the FOREFATHERS of rap. Damn Internuts.
Its a new day. They did their thing and now its over. The thing about hip hop is that for the most part it ages. The reason artists like Stevie Wonder and The Temptations cross generations is because people are always going to appreciate goo singing.

Hip hop embodies the feelings and whats going on in the culture at that time. So for the most part when a, lets say 21 year old takes a listen to that music they cant embrace because they werent around during that era and its harder to get into.

I'm going to take a guess and say the 76 in your username is your birth year making you 37? What are you doing gettin mad at some kids with your old a.ss?
 4 years ago '12        #156
OGpremo 441 heat pts441
space
space
$9,961 | Props total: 10949 10949
Valid point! Nas is Hip-Hop, Jigga is rap...
 4 years ago '12        #157
OGpremo 441 heat pts441
space
space
$9,961 | Props total: 10949 10949
I have to disagree with the Kendrick Lamar statement because I will put Section 80. up against any hip-hop album in the past 10 years
 4 years ago '05        #158
SupaMann 47 heat pts47
space
space
$5,182 | Props total: 1201 1201
 ice wolf said:
I grew up listening to Public Enemy. Chuck D was one of my favorite Rappers back in the day.... that being said this is some old man banter.

Hip-Hop = the 4 Elements of the culture as defined by Kool Herc, Bambatta, Grandmaster Flash:
  • Rapping
  • DJ'ing
  • Graffiti
  • B-Boying

Rap:
  • Rap music / ie: Rapping over a beat

Over time the media and people in general started referring to Rap music as Hip-Hop. It's the exact same thing, the terms just became intertwined.

His comment is some bullsh!t. Just because you're not feeling whats new in terms of Hip-Hop/Rap music, doesn't mean that it's isn't Rap/Hip-Hop. It is. You just don't like it, Chuck.

That's like saying Vybez Kartel isn't dancehall/reggae because he uses autotune and Shabba Ranks didn't use autotune back in the day.

Same genre. Different sound.

That's all.

The subject matter and feel of todays Hip-Hop isn't anywhere near as raw, revolutionary or provocative as it was in the 80's and early 90's but it's still the same genre.

I was skimming thru all these posts and was about to say How come no one mentioned the other elements of Hip Hop until I saw this. It's a culture.

You hit it on the nose. Everybody prop this man.

/thread
 4 years ago '12        #159
ALTheGreatS 23 heat pts23
space
space
$4,470 | Props total: 900 900
 Mr Chilly said:
Professor Griff speaks out against Jews and gets kicked out, but Flav acts like a **** on national TV and gets a pass?
 4 years ago '10        #160
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
$4,865 | Props total: 7108 7108
Everybody needs to see the documentary on Public Enemy.

Chuck and Griff talk at length about the trials and tribulations
of being in a group with Flav and how they felt about his TV show.

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
69 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
189 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
27 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
77 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
63 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
54 comments
23 hours ago