Public Enemy: 'Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar aren't hip-hop'

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
33 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
210 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
69 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '13        #81
The Originator 15 heat pts15
space
space
$8,865 | Props total: 3849 3849
 ByrdManJR. said:
typical "back in my day" hip hop talk
I always thought hip hop was the culture.. and rap was the music...
 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM         #82
redacted 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Something i notice about everything thread featuring a Chuck D interview:

Peoples retort is either "old heads talkin' bout back in my day..."

or

"I don't agree because..."

This one of those rare situations where you actually get some sort of interesting discussions amidst the bullsh*t provided by pre-teens who think anything before 2000 is irrelevant in any genre because they weren't born, or even an idea yet.

The argument is on point, but it's attacking the wrong people involved here. The sh*t with substance is rarely featured as radio material. Most fans of today aren't really listening to music the say way we used to. Most are downloading songs, and not the full album now. They aren't experiencing the whole package, so the radio sh*t ends up have a larger impact on the music in general.

They all hip hop artists. No Doubt. It's just that the airwaves are 100 % bubble gum rap, and it's losing it's favor so fast that you can't call any of it impactful or compelling like you used to./
 4 years ago '10        #83
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
$4,817 | Props total: 7016 7016
 Sam Rothstein said:
I wouldn't say the tempo is that important, it's about the rhythm.

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #84
PushaT5050 
space
space
$1,696 | Props total: 25 25
 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM         #85
the player 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BangEm904 said:
old folks talkin bout "back in my day"

well homie this is my day
 07-30-2013, 06:32 PM         #86
bigbarcelona 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Steelerfan1 said:
You think people that listen to rock give props to its real originators?

All the fu*king time! There's a reason why the Ramones, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix and many other rock bands whether dead or alive are still relevant today... If not just look at The Rolling Stones or hell, Roger Waters and see how successful they are to this day! And by the way, those 2 examples don't play arenas, to this day they play Stadium shows!

Rap along with Pop are truly two of the genres where the old heads get no respect at all and I'm not talking about the musicians just dogging them, but also the fans as well. The reason rap is as bad as it is today is mainly because the new n*ggas think they know what they're doing, but truthfully they don't. The reason rap is such a joke is because no one really understands the history and why it was created for and truthfully that has been the downfall of the genre, because as time goes by, the talent gets worse.

If not, just look at the p!ss poor quality of today's top MC's compare to the 90s. Young n*ggas can say "old heads talking" but truthfully the new n*ggas haven't step up to the challenge at all. Besides maybe two or three rappers, everybody is a copy of each other and that's pathetic of its own. There's a reason why hip hop don't sell either & truthfully who wants to buy these rappers bullsh*t.
 4 years ago '13        #87
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
How they supposed to be hip-hop legends and they talk down on real rappers.

They could have talked down Cheef Keef, Gucci Mane, Katie Got Bandz, Soulja boy, Riff Raff and many other artist. But they call out the realest artist of today

fu*k that
 4 years ago '12        #88
ALTheGreatS 23 heat pts23
space
space
$4,470 | Props total: 900 900
Public Enemy will always be an iconic group in hip hop
History. But why is Chuck doing this ? Where was the "that's not hip hop" when Flavor Flav did Flavor Of Love or making those awful auto tune songs ?
 4 years ago '07        #89
Jae_Mike 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,382 | Props total: 1054 1054
It bothers me when the gods get to acting like the broads
Guess every team doesn’t come complete with n*ggas like ours
 4 years ago '04        #90
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,813 | Props total: 17194 17194
 ALTheGreatS said:
Where was the "that's not hip hop" when Flavor Flav did Flavor Of Love or making those awful auto tune songs ?
He never approved of that flavor of love sh*t
 4 years ago '04        #91
gimmethat 1 heat pts
space
space
$11,472 | Props total: 2703 2703
in the way he defines hip hop,i can understand his logic
The rappers named and others helped separate rap music from bboys for ex.

If there was to be a "hip hop " event involving all the elements ...could they play Kendrick,jay or lil wayne

it´s worth a debate ,nobody is attacked here
 4 years ago '04        #92
Dash420 21 heat pts21
space
space
$14,762 | Props total: 6171 6171
who gives a fu*k? rap, hiphop...if its great music imma listen to it plain and simple! i respect P.E. but this topic is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
 4 years ago '07        #93
varun313 
space
space
space
$3,354 | Props total: 1084 1084
lmao fu*k these dudes washed up n sh*t hating on people having their own style.

I listen to both eras and music HAS to change or else you gonna be like these washed up clowns listening to the same sh*t till you die.
 4 years ago '07        #94
varun313 
space
space
space
$3,354 | Props total: 1084 1084
 OG k!lla said:
True. But yo howcome I seey ou defending and suckin off Cam in every thread involving him.....didn't he spend 2005-2009 criticizing 'old rappers' and such?

But yeah its disgusting how in rap/hiphop the moment you get to a certain age everyone thinks youre corny/washed up/blah blah blah....we don't celebrate our heroes like these other genres...sh*t the Vh1 Hip hop honors used to get clowned and booed but the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is respected worldwide. Average 18 year old Rock fan feels like the Stones are gods....average 18 year old rap fan either doesn't know Kool G Rap exists or they got nothing but negative sh*t to say about him.

its gonna take time for rap music to get that respect though man like Rock music does.
sh*t how many official sub genres are there to Rock music????

Nas, OutKast, Pac , EM and Biggie is what I think of when I look at the history of rap. I know sensitive cats gonna get mad but nobody had a bigger impact that Pac and Biggie and Nas is one of the few with amazing lyrical talent straight up.

After a few more generations Rap/hip hop will get the respect it deserves.............hopefully lollll
 4 years ago '11        #95
ZeusSlaps 774 heat pts774
space
space
$27,786 | Props total: 2432 2432
old irrelevant n*ggas
 4 years ago '05        #96
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,231 | Props total: 9631 9631
 BangEm904 said:
old folks talkin bout "back in my day"

Love that line.
 4 years ago '12        #97
ALTheGreatS 23 heat pts23
space
space
$4,470 | Props total: 900 900
 erickonasis said:
He never approved of that flavor of love sh*t
But nor was he vocal about it like the way he's vocal about today's hip hop. I'm just saying. Let's admit it, that show left a stain on a legendary group such as P.E. They were still doing small venue shows with Flav in tact while that show was on air.

Last edited by ALTheGreatS; 07-30-2013 at 09:19 PM..
 4 years ago '04        #98
Yd4001 8 heat pts
space
space
$5,366 | Props total: 727 727
So its not so much a diss per se, just saying its a different genre kinda. I do that when labeling my music, some is rap other sh*t is hip-hop. All depends on you i guess
 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM         #99
Jose Menez 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bigbarcelona said:
All the fu*king time! There's a reason why the Ramones, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix and many other rock bands whether dead or alive are still relevant today... If not just look at The Rolling Stones or hell, Roger Waters and see how successful they are to this day! And by the way, those 2 examples don't play arenas, to this day they play Stadium shows!

Rap along with Pop are truly two of the genres where the old heads get no respect at all and I'm not talking about the musicians just dogging them, but also the fans as well. The reason rap is as bad as it is today is mainly because the new n*ggas think they know what they're doing, but truthfully they don't. The reason rap is such a joke is because no one really understands the history and why it was created for and truthfully that has been the downfall of the genre, because as time goes by, the talent gets worse.

If not, just look at the p!ss poor quality of today's top MC's compare to the 90s. Young n*ggas can say "old heads talking" but truthfully the new n*ggas haven't step up to the challenge at all. Besides maybe two or three rappers, everybody is a copy of each other and that's pathetic of its own. There's a reason why hip hop don't sell either & truthfully who wants to buy these rappers bullsh*t.
Pretty sure he was talking about the lil richard's and fat domino's
 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM         #100
Jose Menez 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bigbarcelona said:

Pretty sure he was talking about the lil richard's and fats domino's
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
82 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
62 comments
21 hours ago