Public Enemy: 'Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar aren't hip-hop'

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
160 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
51 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
73 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM         #61
bigsyke19 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah...i kinda agree. "hip hop" turned to straight party music man. used to have more substance and meaning.

but hip hop crashed in 90's really.....everything went to gangster/mafioso music.....THEY JUST WERE BETTER AT IT. most of these current n*ggas suck as lyricist and as rappers.

Last edited by bigsyke19; 07-30-2013 at 02:19 PM..
 4 years ago '11        #62
DesolateOne 32 heat pts32
space
space
$3,780 | Props total: 66 66
 Steelerfan1 said:
You think people that listen to rock give props to its real originators?
Um...yeah, they do and have done so for decades. Read a Rock magazine sometime and see for yourself.
 4 years ago '11        #63
whothebestmc 98 heat pts98
space
space
$19,560 | Props total: 9464 9464
 slapaho said:

[pic - click to view]

he's not lying though sh*t jay/outkast>>> them.
 4 years ago '04        #64
Shizz|M 
space
space
$7,363 | Props total: 225 225
I thought we worked this out years ago

THE IS RAP.... the ART of RAP..

HIP HOP is DEAD ...

Thats all it is
 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM         #65
Freaky Robber 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
can see where he coming from

rap aint the same as hip hop to some

like Trinidad James is a Rapper some ppl dont really see that as Hip Hop

Wayne dont really put out Hip Hop sh*t all that sh*t is really rap
 4 years ago '05        #66
worldrecords 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,012 | Props total: 29 29
he is right.... Snoop, Jay and Kendrick dont stand for anything... Money rules these people... they have no real message... they lure people.
 4 years ago '07        #67
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
If Lil Wayne is making great rap records then I'm listening to country now.
 4 years ago '04        #68
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,872 | Props total: 1907 1907
 Rich n*gga said:
fu*k public enemy

Outkast + Goodie Mob + Jigga >>> Public Enemy + Run DMC + KRS

Never been a fan of Public Enemy or KRS. I prefer De La, Rakim and Tribe when listening to the classics of hip-hop.

I'm not saying PE or KRS are bad. I'm just not a fan of their music and sound.
 4 years ago '04        #69
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
He's 100% correct. Doesn't mean those artists don't make good music, but they're not hip-hop.
 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM         #70
swerve1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah as someone already mentioned, years back Chuck D said Jay-Z was the greatest rapper ever. I respect the hell out of Public Enemy for their contribution to music and their revolutionary style, but at the same time I think Chuck D just says anything nowadays to stay relevant. Flavor Flav I don't care about because I never took him seriously.
 4 years ago '07        #71
Jay-Vab 
space
space
space
$693 | Props total: 106 106
i feel what he's saying about the tempo but it's pretty much just down south music hate. east coast purists still feel down south rap isn't hiphop and the tempos are usually lower then 80bpms. 85-105 is the range for most of the early east coast stuff but times change and the genre has to evolve.
 4 years ago '04        #72
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
I love and respect everything PE has done for hip hop and how they helped contribute to the foundation of the culture, but this is the EXACT narrow-minded bullsh-t I can't stand.

Hip Hop is so multi-dimensional and can be approached in so many different ways, why are you trying to stifle that and limit progress? Chuck just sounds like he misses being a relevant superstar himself.

All due respect to Chuck though, definitely paid his dues to share his opinion whenever he feels like it but I couldn't disagree more with that article. Kendrick isn't hip hop? Dude has been dropping essential hip hop since day 1.

I love classic hip hop, just because it'll never be the way it was 30 years ago doesn't mean there aren't plenty of artists keeping the torch going.

I used to think hip hop and rap are two different genres but the way I see it nowadays is hip hop is the lifestyle/culture, rap is just a verb.
 4 years ago '04        #73
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,873 | Props total: 17389 17389
Hes right Kendrick lemar is horrible
 4 years ago '04        #74
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,873 | Props total: 17389 17389
 RYLNYC said:
I love and respect everything PE has done for hip hop and how they helped contribute to the foundation of the culture, but this is the EXACT narrow-minded bullsh-t I can't stand.

Hip Hop is so multi-dimensional and can be approached in so many different ways, why are you trying to stifle that and limit progress? Chuck just sounds like he misses being a relevant superstar himself.

All due respect to Chuck though, definitely paid his dues to share his opinion whenever he feels like it but I couldn't disagree more with that article. Kendrick isn't hip hop? Dude has been dropping essential hip hop since day 1.

I love classic hip hop, just because it'll never be the way it was 30 years ago doesn't mean there aren't plenty of artists keeping the torch going.

I used to think hip hop and rap are two different genres but the way I see it nowadays is hip hop is the lifestyle/culture, rap is just a verb.
Essential hip hop? You dony have a fu*king clue do you . bi*ch dont k!ll my vibe " is essential hip hop?
 4 years ago '11        #75
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,749 | Props total: 4947 4947
I understand chuck, but he's being an old man with this one.

Hey Producers up here, Isnt Trap mainly made at 140 tempo ?
 4 years ago '05        #76
Panopticon 42 heat pts42
space
space
$23,924 | Props total: 11287 11287
"Rap is something you do.
Hip Hop is something you live.
Rap is something you do.
Hip Hop is something you live."
 4 years ago '04        #77
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,872 | Props total: 1907 1907
 erickonasis said:
Essential hip hop? You dony have a fu*king clue do you . bi*ch dont k!ll my vibe " is essential hip hop?
Hip-Hop has come a long way and it continues to grow and evolve. All musical genres do. It's not limited to only hip-hop. Pop, R&B, Rock, Punk have all dramatically changed. Yet you don't hear any of the GOATs from those genres sh*tting on the new blood and direction the music has taken. So I don't see the point or relevancy of their statements. I hate to talk sh*t, but this just seems more of a publicity stunt to remain or attempt to become relevant again by PE.

And we get it. You don't like Kendrick Lamar. I'd be interested in hearing some of your criticism of him too. I personally dig the guy and appreciate his musical contributions. Especially in an era of a lot of garbage and throw away singles, artists and albums.

I feel like Kendrick is making original and quality music. And the Black Hippy fam is going to continue to make good music. Schoolboy Q is up next.
 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM         #78
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That's how the game go, Drake and Jay-Z will be saying the same thing when they are done. Jay already spoke on Auto Tune, just imagine what the game will be like in 10 years. Something new always come and it irritate the fu*k out of old heads.
 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM         #79
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BtMkRs said:
I understand chuck, but he's being an old man with this one.

Hey Producers up here, Isnt Trap mainly made at 140 tempo ?
I wouldn't say the tempo is that important, it's about the rhythm.
 4 years ago '11        #80
GrindPOWER$ 390 heat pts390
space
space
$19,275 | Props total: 12544 12544
they just saying where that hip hop from back in the day at everybody making these slow tempo dark records with the slow up voice where the OPP's,hip hop hooray those type records or even a biggie hypnotize type records..you can make a great record but its not appealing if you using the same element of the slow tempo like everybody else.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
23 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
49 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
82 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
184 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy