Public Enemy: 'Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar aren't hip-hop'

most viewed right now
vida guerra
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
108 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
92 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '11        #21
DesolateOne 32 heat pts32
space
space
$3,780 | Props total: 66 66
 justinjones said:
doesn't mean people have to agree with it though.

this is not towards you but people always goes to the extreme side when it comes to these things.

agree with a legend-bring that old sh!t back nothing will ever pass it. NOTHING. hip hop is dead

disagree with legend-get this old as muthafuka out of here. ain't nobody f!ghting the power

i understand what they are saying but is p.e still making hip hop records like its 92 though?
PE have been making records since around 1987. They still sell out tours worldwide. I saw them in 1994 during their Muse-Sick-N-Our Mess-Age tour and neither Flavor Flav nor Terminator X was there. Chuck alone rocked that sh*t, one of the best concerts I ever saw and I've been to many. I feel sorry for you young bucks who didn't live through certain eras to truly appreciate some artists, you missed the fu*k out. Sadly, you have bullsh*t like Kanye and Drake to refer to.

Maddog345 said:

[pic - click to view]

This article is void.
Consider the source, it's Flavor Flav were talking about here.

4 years ago '04        #22
justinjones 307 heat pts307 OP
space
space
$49,446 | Props total: 6517 6517
 DesolateOne said:
PE have been making records since around 1987. They still sell out tours worldwide. I saw them in 1994 during their Muse-Sick-N-Our Mess-Age tour and neither Flavor Flav nor Terminator X was there. Chuck alone rocked that sh*t, one of the best concerts I ever saw and I've been to many. I feel sorry for you young bucks who didn't live through certain eras to truly appreciate some artists, you missed the fu*k out. Sadly, you have bullsh*t like Kanye and Drake to refer to.

Consider the source, it's Flavor Flav were talking about here.

you have be at least in your mid to late 30s because one of the first rap albums i remember is fear of the black planet and i was 4 years old then...im pushing 30 now.

i'll listen to their first 4 albums but after that i really don't i don't get the same feeling from their new stuff then their old stuff. i think the last one i checked was revolution
 4 years ago '13        #23
HipHopFactz 437 heat pts437
space
space
$31,079 | Props total: 38467 38467
Makes a valid point

Every rap record is about "money" and other superficial things, stans sitting there listening to another man rap about his bank account

You'll be hard pressed to find a Keep Ya Head Up in this era in the mainstream, the balance is totally one sided

Jayz cant go one song without mentioning some superficial sh*t, rappers acting like divas and sh*t

Hip hop has turned in to Liberace
 4 years ago '04        #24
space
space
 alogan9225 said:
True, but Chuck D stay hatin...

I saw this man back at FSU a couple of years ago... he ain't have sh*t positive to say... besides talking positively about Rick Ross (which was odd as hell to me, but whatever)
explain how that happened
 4 years ago '05        #25
ice wolf 515 heat pts515
space
space
$9,301 | Props total: 5492 5492
I grew up listening to Public Enemy. Chuck D was one of my favorite Rappers back in the day.... that being said this is some old man banter.

Hip-Hop = the 4 Elements of the culture as defined by Kool Herc, Bambatta, Grandmaster Flash:
  • Rapping
  • DJ'ing
  • Graffiti
  • B-Boying

Rap:
  • Rap music / ie: Rapping over a beat

Over time the media and people in general started referring to Rap music as Hip-Hop. It's the exact same thing, the terms just became intertwined.

His comment is some bullsh!t. Just because you're not feeling whats new in terms of Hip-Hop/Rap music, doesn't mean that it's isn't Rap/Hip-Hop. It is. You just don't like it, Chuck.

That's like saying Vybez Kartel isn't dancehall/reggae because he uses autotune and Shabba Ranks didn't use autotune back in the day.

Same genre. Different sound.

That's all.

The subject matter and feel of todays Hip-Hop isn't anywhere near as raw, revolutionary or provocative as it was in the 80's and early 90's but it's still the same genre.

Last edited by ice wolf; 07-30-2013 at 10:24 AM..
 4 years ago '05        #26
kingkolby 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 97 97
 devilmatic said:
too bad jigga snoop and kendrick all sound completely different. public enemy hasnt made a good song in 20 years.
why does it matter how long ago it is a great song is a great song.
 4 years ago '11        #27
DesolateOne 32 heat pts32
space
space
$3,780 | Props total: 66 66
 justinjones said:
you have be at least in your mid to late 30s because one of the first rap albums i remember is fear of the black planet and i was 4 years old then...im pushing 30 now.

i'll listen to their first 4 albums but after that i really don't i don't get the same feeling from their new stuff then their old stuff. i think the last one i checked was revolution
Start with "Yo! Bush Rush The Show", their first. Listen to the progression through the first 4 albums. Although I will admit, over time they didn't get better. But you can't deny how nice they used to be.
 4 years ago '04        #28
Young Hov 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,473 | Props total: 3 3
another old head tellin us whats hip hop and whats not... fukk outta here
 4 years ago '05        #29
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
Yeah I dont agree with *Flav on this one.

In regards to tempo...if that's the case "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 aint hip hop either.

*Edit

Last edited by Bobby's World; 07-30-2013 at 10:33 AM..
 4 years ago '04        #30
space
space
 DesolateOne said:
Start with "Yo! Bush Rush The Show", their first. Listen to the progression through the first 4 albums. Although I will admit, over time they didn't get better. But you can't deny how nice they used to be.
i know all of that im just saying after the first 4 im basically done
 4 years ago '11        #31
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,342 | Props total: 8512 8512

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '06        #32
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,696 | Props total: 8660 8660
rap music is hiphop.

i don't care what hiphop originated from because all music has a origin then it evolves into different sounds and subject matter.

if that is the case then what r.kelly did isn't R&B compared to what stevie wonder did.
 4 years ago '12        #33
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,855 | Props total: 22194 22194
 Ricky Retardo said:
i can't.

He speaking of himself cause he obviously is not listening to everything those artists make. just the records that are on the radio or overly popularized.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z
You're a camel stan , stfu.
 4 years ago '04        #34
Mumbletaker 58 heat pts58
space
space
$11,488 | Props total: 7164 7164
the element of hip-hop left when rap music started being created on a slow tempo... everybody is making great rap records, but it's not hip-hop
Just because a song from 03 doesn't have the same feel to it as a song from 93 doesn't have to mean it's not hip hop. Hip hop simply evolved into something new. Every generation is going to have their own style of music.

but we think it should be along the lines of Bob Marley, Bob Dylan and Bobby Womack. It should be able to cover all aspects. When it's just about 'I got money and you don't have money', that's just taking advantage of the naivety of people
 4 years ago '09        #35
Chalky 303 heat pts303
space
space
$27,413 | Props total: 17623 17623
but as soon as a new artist comes out with those 4 elements he will get no love
 4 years ago '10        #36
BiZz 67 heat pts67
space
space
$5,444 | Props total: 6 6

Can't really argue with what he said other than mentioning Kendrick.

Yes hiphop evolves. But it no longer stands for anything.
 4 years ago '10        #37
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
$19,669 | Props total: 4520 4520
so they are not hip-hop but lil wayne is making some great rap records
 4 years ago '04        #38
DJ Maximum|M 48 heat pts48
space
space
$43,395 | Props total: 11766 11766
I respect Chuck D but at the end of the day he comes off as a bitter old man. If you dont like the artist just say it. But saying they are not hip hop is just down right stupid. Yeah I know nobody is checking for you Chuck but the artists he mentioned changed the game in some sort or way. That's neglecting all what they have done so far and I dont agree with it. He knows hes wrong for it.
 4 years ago '13        #39
Impeccable 210 heat pts210
space
space
$14,888 | Props total: 1250 1250
Of course Snoop aint hip-hop

n*gga trying Reggae right now
 4 years ago '04        #40
DJ Maximum|M 48 heat pts48
space
space
$43,395 | Props total: 11766 11766
 HipHopFactz said:
Makes a valid point

Every rap record is about "money" and other superficial things, stans sitting there listening to another man rap about his bank account

You'll be hard pressed to find a Keep Ya Head Up in this era in the mainstream, the balance is totally one sided

Jayz cant go one song without mentioning some superficial sh*t, rappers acting like divas and sh*t

Hip hop has turned in to Liberace
so pac didnt rap about getting money and flashing sh*t? ok...... yeah he made some great uplifiting songs but the majority of sh*t he was bragging about sh*t too yall n*ggas acting like if tupac was alive he wouldve evloved into a professor or something smh yall n*ggas
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
124 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
93 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
53 comments
24 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
173 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
On the Late Night vol. 17
21 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy