Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
227 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
88 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
159 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '07        #1
9542 pageviews
61 comments

Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,357 | Props total: 15991 15991
Scientists discover what’s k!lling the bees and it’s worse than you thought

As we’ve written before, the mysterious mass die-off of honey bees that pollinate $30 billion worth of crops in the US has so decimated America’s apis mellifera population that one bad winter could leave fields fallow. Now, a new study has pinpointed some of the probable causes of bee deaths and the rather scary results show that averting beemageddon will be much more difficult than previously thought.

Scientists had struggled to find the trigger for so-called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) that has wiped out an estimated 10 million beehives, worth $2 billion, over the past six years. Suspects have included pesticides, disease-bearing parasites and poor nutrition. But in a first-of-its-kind study published today in the journal PLOS ONE, scientists at the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture have identified a witch’s brew of pesticides and fungicides contaminating pollen that bees collect to feed their hives. The findings break new ground on why large numbers of bees are dying though they do not identify the specific cause of CCD, where an entire beehive dies at once.

When researchers collected pollen from hives on the east coast pollinating cranberry, watermelon and other crops and fed it to healthy bees, those bees showed a significant decline in their ability to resist infection by a parasite called Nosema ceranae. The parasite has been implicated in Colony Collapse Disorder though scientists took pains to point out that their findings do not directly link the pesticides to CCD. The pollen was contaminated on average with nine different pesticides and fungicides though scientists discovered 21 agricultural chemicals in one sample. Scientists identified eight ag chemicals a.ssociated with increased risk of infection by the parasite.

Most disturbing, bees that ate pollen contaminated with fungicides were three times as likely to be infected by the parasite. Widely used, fungicides had been thought to be harmless for bees as they’re designed to k!ll fungus, not insects, on crops like apples.

“There’s growing evidence that fungicides may be affecting the bees on their own and I think what it highlights is a need to reassess how we label these agricultural chemicals,” Dennis vanEngelsdorp, the study’s lead author, told Quartz.

Labels on pesticides warn farmers not to spray when pollinating bees are in the vicinity but such precautions have not applied to fungicides.

Bee populations are so low in the US that it now takes 60% of the country’s surviving colonies just to pollinate one California crop, almonds. And that’s not just a west coast problem—California supplies 80% of the world’s almonds, a market worth $4 billion.

In recent years, a class of chemicals called neonicotinoids has been linked to bee deaths and in April regulators banned the use of the pesticide for two years in Europe where bee populations have also plummeted. But vanEngelsdorp, an a.ssistant research scientist at the University of Maryland, says the new study shows that the interaction of multiple pesticides is affecting bee health.

“The pesticide issue in itself is much more complex than we have led to be believe,” he says. “It’s a lot more complicated than just one product, which means of course the solution does not lie in just banning one class of product.”

The study found another complication in efforts to save the bees: US honey bees, which are descendants of European bees, do not bring home pollen from native North American crops but collect bee chow from nearby weeds and wildflowers. That pollen, however, was also contaminated with pesticides even though those plants were not the target of spraying.

“It’s not clear whether the pesticides are drifting over to those plants but we need take a new look at agricultural spraying practices,” says vanEngelsdorp.
visit this link Scientists discover what’s k!lling the bees and it’s worse than you thought – Quartz

61 comments for "Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought"

4 years ago '07        #2
CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943
space
space
$27,631 | Props total: 16725 16725
 4 years ago '11        #3
bobby doobie 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,493 | Props total: 250 250
Where my n*gga bumble bee when you need him
 4 years ago '04        #4
getyagameup 24 heat pts24
space
space
$4,044 | Props total: 27 27
yea...so....all that ready round up is REALLY helping out the environment. i don't know what these people are really thinking about doing the things that they do....that can't be thinking about our livelihood or having food for our future. nah. it's all about the american dollar. fu*k monsanto.
 4 years ago '11        #5
Mr X 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,263 | Props total: 239 239
so they use pesticides that pollute the atmosphere to k!ll bees which do nothing but good for humanity?
 4 years ago '07        #6
DJ $LUGGA 
space
space
space
$258 | Props total: 73 73
 getyagameup said:
yea...so....all that ready round up is REALLY helping out the environment. i don't know what these people are really thinking about doing the things that they do....that can't be thinking about our livelihood or having food for our future. nah. it's all about the american dollar. fu*k monsanto.
 4 years ago '13        #7
CrunchTime CDN 435 heat pts435
space
space
$10,660 | Props total: 7137 7137
So you're telling me that we are not getting a part 2 to Bee Movie?

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '11        #8
Blue Mercury 236 heat pts236
space
space
$1,489 | Props total: 919 919

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #9
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,870 | Props total: 1905 1905
 Mr X said:
so they use pesticides that pollute the atmosphere to k!ll bees which do nothing but good for humanity?
And all in the name of profit and greed.

But here's what I don't understand: How will that money be any good if there isn't food and people to spend it on?
4evaabso gave props

4 years ago '05        #10
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,442 | Props total: 7083 7083
I'm loving this summer chilling out on my deck without bees everywhere like most years. That sh*ts annoying as hell, I don't even like chilling out on my deck some days because of those fu*kers. But this summer I've been out there almost daily

We are humans, we will find a way to artificially make up for the benefits we lose from bees dying off
4evaabso slapped this ish

07-25-2013, 02:41 PM         #11
loyola llothta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 getyagameup said:
What's monsanto?
 4 years ago '07        #12
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492 OP
space
space
$35,357 | Props total: 15991 15991
 ReppinDaBurghh said:
I'm loving this summer chilling out on my deck without bees everywhere like most years. That sh*ts annoying as hell, I don't even like chilling out on my deck some days because of those fu*kers. But this summer I've been out there almost daily

We are humans, we will find a way to artificially make up for the benefits we lose from bees dying off

till we become artificial too... this is a robots mentality here...
 4 years ago '05        #13
ChokeHold 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,971 | Props total: 23 23
 getyagameup said:
that company is the fu*king devil
 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM         #14
Spid3yo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Damagegadget said:

till we become artificial too... this is a robots mentality here...
doesn't mean that's a bad thing, just evolution
 4 years ago '11        #15
superdrunken 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,849 | Props total: 82 82
 ReppinDaBurghh said:

disgusting.

and no surprise that pesticides are fu*ked. humans are like a virus to nature lol. bees are chill as sh*t too they ain't tryin to sting anybody, just help plants grow.
 4 years ago '06        #16
latereg6 39 heat pts39
space
space
$2,993 | Props total: 1048 1048
Wasn't there just a study saying bees can cure HIV???

4 years ago '07        #17
Barnone254 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,670 | Props total: 1165 1165
 superdrunken said:
disgusting.

and no surprise that pesticides are fu*ked. humans are like a virus to nature lol. bees are chill as sh*t too they ain't tryin to sting anybody, just help plants grow.
this but fu*k them wasps tho
 4 years ago '05        #18
Clutch City Kid 138 heat pts138
space
space
$28,187 | Props total: 28595 28595
i live in the country, agriculture ALL over and yes the lack of Bees is causing some issues, its the future that is the most concerning tho.... the area I live in hasn't been hit too hard yet, we don't use fungicides out here very often cause of our climate .... even with that being said, we still can notice a drop off in the amount of honey bees in the area ... infact is seems that we have more wasps and yellowjackets than we ever have had before eversince the honey bees started dying down

bi*ch BETTA HAVE MY HONEY!!!!!!
 4 years ago '04        #19
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,875 | Props total: 2932 2932
doesnt anybody care what happened to the bees?

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '10        #20
marx1684 
space
space
$4,825 | Props total: 4961 4961
 latereg6 said:
Wasn't there just a study saying bees can cure HIV???

Beat me to it.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
57 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
18 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
17 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
101 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sony drops the price of PSVR bundles by $100 for the holidays
30 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy