NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
34 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
vida guerra
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
139 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '06        #1
8515 pageviews
269 comments

ChevyBrah 216 heat pts216
space
space
space
$15,408 | Props total: 961 961
Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect

If there's one thing you can rely on the average, halfway-intelligent and means-conscious human being to do, it's ask for stuff to be cheaper. In the case of Xbox One, there's a simple little equation attached: why not slice a few tenners off that RRP by removing Kinect from the package? After all, Kinect is rumoured (very firmly without official confirmation) to be almost as expensive to manufacture as the console itself, and given the less-than-tremendous state of current generation motion gaming, is unlikely to be among the main reasons Xbox One buyers shell out.

Click to view larger image
It's a view I can sympathise with, despite my unfashionable fondness for Fable: The Journey and Steel Battalion. Contrary to public perception, writing about games is neither a well-paid pursuit nor your ticket to never having to pay for another game or console, ever again. I literally can't remember the last time Steve Ballmer carried me to the office on his immense, avuncular shoulders, or posted any diamond-encrusted special editions through my letterbox. For all that, though, I think those who insist on regarding next gen Kinect as an unnecessary expense are missing the point by a fair few lightyears.
For starters, dumping mandatory Kinect after the example of Microsoft's recent online DRM U-turn may not be a practical possibility - Xbox One has literally been built for the sensor, and it's rather late in the day to go fiddling around at the level of the hardware itself. But there's a philosophical point at stake, too. The crux of the matter is thus: we need to stop calling Kinect a peripheral. However dim your view of the new sensor's capabilities and/or usefulness as a "real" gamer's device, the fact remains that it's now as integral to Microsoft's console offering as the Wii U's tablet controller is to Nintendo's - a day-one core component, rather than a mid-cycle layer of mainstream-courting, market-refreshing paint.

Where removing online DRM isn't incompatible with Xbox One's status as a digital-centric machine, tossing Kinect away for the sake of a price cut means tossing away part of the console's identity. To treat it as a superficial commercial differentiator, easily abandoned, is to misunderstand how Microsoft expects the industry to evolve over the next 10 years. Built-in Kinect is the firm's attempt at staying ahead of an evolving marketplace to which buttons and controllers are increasingly, wait for it, peripheral, forced at best to share the stage with so-called "natural user interfaces" like voice, motion and touch control.

The latter are mainly of relevance to mobile gaming at present - mobiles, after all, generally come with cameras, touch screens, motion sensors and microphones built in, irrespective of their subsequent gaming applications. But you can bet your bottom currency of choice that they'll be key to the console market eventually, particularly once companies like Google and Apple unveil their own, voice or motion-assisted living room solutions.

Click to view larger image
This explains the urgency with which Microsoft has stepped up its operations on these fronts - to the point of carving off fixed lumps of system resource for Kinect's exclusive use. Where the current gen sensor has to compete with other services for processing power and therefore inaccessible in some circumstances, the new version gets a dedicated share of system resources, which allows it to offer the same features wherever you are and whatever you're doing.

visit this link OXM Blog: Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine

269 comments for "Why Microsoft won't sell Xbox One without Kinect"

4 years ago '12        #2
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,205 | Props total: 9811 9811
I think it's good that it requires the Kinect to use, it means developers know that everyone using an X1 has a Kinect which gives them more of a reason to do things with it.
 4 years ago '04        #3
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,755 | Props total: 1572 1572
I'm excited about the kinect
 4 years ago '06        #4
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
$14,081 | Props total: 39 39
Most people won't want to spend $500 at launch again like the PS3...has nothing to do with Kinect it's the price point, people will just use the forced Kinect inclusion as another excuse to not shell out the $500 & go with the $399 ps4.

The Tea Party of the gaming industry just keeps getting more and more out of touch with gamers, but if they really feel the risk is worth it....

If it were me I'd do whats right and have a lower model at $399 w/no Kinect

Last edited by Soraci7; 07-22-2013 at 12:29 PM..
 4 years ago '12        #5
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,205 | Props total: 9811 9811
 Soraci7 said:
Most people won't want to spend $500 at launch again like the PS3...has nothing to do with Kinect it's the price point, people will just use the forced Kinect inclusion as another excuse to not shell out the $500 & go with the $399 ps4.

The Tea Party of the gaming industry just keeps getting more and more out of touch with gamers

Do whats right and have a lower model at $399 w/no Kinect
The X1 is gonna sell, people want what it's offering and they're willing to pay $500.
 4 years ago '06        #6
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
 Msirae said:
The X1 is gonna sell, people want what it's offering and they're willing to pay $500.
I never said it won't sell, I'm talking about selling well like before. We'll see what the numbers are after a year with that $500 price point....

This is a huge risk, but it aint my company.
 4 years ago '04        #7
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Soraci7 said:

The Tea Party of the gaming industry just keeps getting more and more out of touch with gamers, but if they really feel the risk is worth it....

If it were me I'd do whats right and have a lower model at $399 w/no Kinect
thats not doing whats right though its breaking the system and taking away from the product I really feel like dishing the new kinect off as another accessory is a mistake I'd rather them take the hit by $50 and release at $449 with the kinect then to completely cut the feature....

M$ has to be strong fu*k what sony is Kinect is a selling point that will hit once people get to see it in action
 4 years ago '06        #8
ChevyBrah 216 heat pts216 OP
space
space
space
ok

[pic - click to view]

or

[pic - click to view]

both 499
 4 years ago '04        #9
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 chevyrida6 said:
ok

[pic - click to view]

or

[pic - click to view]

both 499
easy xbox one
 4 years ago '06        #10
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
 Ra-da-god said:
thats not doing whats right though its breaking the system and taking away from the product I really feel like dishing the new kinect off as another accessory is a mistake I'd rather them take the hit by $50 and release at $449 with the kinect then to completely cut the feature....

M$ has to be strong fu*k what sony is Kinect is a selling point that will hit once people get to see it in action
$450 would be a money spot if they chose to do it, but I think they are already taking a hit even at $500 with the quality of Kinect.

X1 Kinect sports Rivals bundle is $560 on gamestops website, with a warranty & tax that price will just be

I remember dropping 750 something for a launch ps3 with a warranty/game and when I walked out of bestbuy I felt like sh*t. That didnt even include taxes. Luckily I'm pretty well off, but its the principal really. When I spent $460 on xbox 360 I had none of those sh*tty feelings.

They are forcing the product because they know if it was sold separately, most people wouldnt buy it and go for the cheaper model, so what exactly does that say about the value of Kinect itself.

Last edited by Soraci7; 07-22-2013 at 12:50 PM..
 4 years ago '06        #11
space
space
space
 Soraci7 said:
$450 would be a money spot if they chose to do it, but I think they are already taking a hit even at $500 with the quality of Kinect.

X1 Kinect sports Rivals bundle is $560 on gamestops website, with a warranty & tax that price will just be

I remember dropping 750 something for a launch ps3 with a warranty/game and when I walked out of bestbuy I felt like sh*t. That didnt even include taxes. Luckily I'm pretty well off, but its the principal really. When I spent $460 on xbox 360 I had none of those sh*tty feelings.

They are forcing the product because they know if it was sold separately, most people wouldnt buy it and go for the cheaper model, so what exactly does that say about the value of Kinect itself.
they said the kinect its self is like 299 or 399

4 years ago '04        #12
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Soraci7 said:

oooooooor they are forcing it because it is integral part of the system and where they wanna go with their platform same way they forced mandatory broadband for Xbox live on the OG I dont remember that being a popular choice at the time either until people played it, the same thing is gonna happen with this sometime you have to rip the bandaid off.

if they just wanted you buy the accessory they could have just bundled a slighty better standard kinect in with the xbox one and made to where your old kinect would work aswell and that would have been that I have a friend that went to E3 she got fu*k around with it and sit in on the live scenerio demonstration she told me this kinect sh*ts on the first one in everyway I know gaming media hs been saying the same but to have someone I know tell me in detail play by play on how this thing is better I'm willing to try it out.
 4 years ago '07        #13
moe4484 4 heat pts
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 1137 1137
 Mr I 95 said:
pretty much...

and the defense that since everyone has one now developers will make sh*t for it is a bit crazy...maybe for exclusive games...you think a multi plat game is gonna spend way more time on that when the game would sell just as much or just as little if it had or didnt have the kinnect to begin with?

and we all know xbox exclusives

you guys havnt noticed there hasnt been many 3rd party developers that has said anything about the kinnect?

sure it will have a small cool feature here and there but bottom line is....nobody is hype for that..aside from maybe hideo kojima
One of the biggest multiplat games coming out at launch will be BF4 and they have already confirmed integrating Kinect for XB1 right?
 4 years ago '06        #14
space
space
space
basically sony camera is the worst console accessory known to man kind
 4 years ago '06        #15
space
space
space
that means kinect is the best
 4 years ago '04        #16
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Mr I 95 said:
and we all know xbox exclusives
stop it.......

Mr I 95 said:
you guys havnt noticed there hasnt been many 3rd party developers that has said anything about the kinnect?

sure it will have a small cool feature here and there but bottom line is....nobody is hype for that..aside from maybe hideo kojima
Witcher 3, full voice command for on the fly combat & menu management.....yeah I'm sold
 07-22-2013, 01:06 PM         #17
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by DarkSidesHero; 07-22-2013 at 02:48 PM..
 4 years ago '06        #18
space
space
space
it does stop reaching
 4 years ago '04        #19
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 chevyrida6 said:
it does stop reaching
no it doesn't the new one is part of the system, optional for games but integral to the box
 4 years ago '06        #20
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
 chevyrida6 said:
they said the kinect its self is like 299 or 399

Ya I know, but thats what I'm saying. Even if it's bundled at $500, it's the price point alone that will turn people off if we are going off history. Outside of xbox diehards, I don't think people will think "oh im getting a $200+ camera with it for $500"

They'll simply see the $500 and then see the $399 PS4 w/no camera and cop it. Only the die-hard M$ heads will be shelling out that type of money until the console comes down in price.

There's no way in hell I'm shelling out $1400 dollars for both systems with warranties/controllers and only 1 game for each system again. It was fine last gen when HD gaming was brand new on consoles & felt revolutionary, and even then the consoles were a year apart. But to do it now is just fu*king retarded.

I've strongly considered just upgrading my already good PC and just going with PS4. $700 max in total & then use the other money I would've used for the X1 on building up a robust library in the 1st few months. Thats just wiser spending and with a more powerful duo.

Last edited by Soraci7; 07-22-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
94 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
126 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
85 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
On the Late Night vol. 17
22 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
57 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
178 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
82 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
70 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy