EA reportedly signs three-year college football licensing deal

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '07        #1
7094 pageviews
32 comments

CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943
space
space
$27,629 | Props total: 16720 16720
EA reportedly signs three-year college football licensing deal

visit this link EA reportedly signs three-year college football licensing deal | Polygon

Electronic Arts has inked a new licensing agreement for college football video games, allowing the publisher to continue producing those titles without the name or logo of the NCAA, reports Joystiq.

Earlier this week, the NCAA announced it would not renew its current deal with EA. The contract, which expires at the end of June 2014, allowed the NCAA name and logo to appear in the publisher's NCAA Football series of college football games. The NCAA made the decision because of its ongoing legal battles, including a class-action lawsuit in which former student-athletes allege that the organization profited off their names and likenesses in video games and other products without allowing them to be compensated. NCAA Football 14, which was released last week, will be the final NCAA-licensed college football game from EA.

The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and EA are also named as defendants in the suit, but the two companies said this week that they would press forward with college football games, since the NCAA's involvement has little to do with their ability to collaborate on games. Their current agreement also expires June 30, 2014. Joystiq cites an anonymous source saying EA and the CLC have signed a new licensing deal that will take effect July 1, 2014, and run for three years. EA said earlier this week that next year's game is already in development on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Unlike the current agreement between EA and the CLC, the new one is reportedly a non-exclusive contract, which it must be. Under the terms of the $27 million settlement in a different football-game lawsuit — Pecover v. Electronic Arts, an antitrust suit regarding EA's Madden NFL, NCAA Football and Arena Football series — the publisher is prohibited from forming exclusive licensing agreements for college football games with the NCAA or CLC for a period of five years following the expiration of their current deals next June.

We've reached out to EA, the CLC and the NCAA for comment, and will update this article with any information we receive.

Update: An EA representative said the company has no comment beyond this week's statement confirming its college football series will continue.

So does that mean we can get a 2k college football game?

32 comments for "EA reportedly signs three-year college football licensing deal"

4 years ago '12        #2
Mr Fujaveli 36 heat pts36
space
space
$23,427 | Props total: 12785 12785
 CadillacVyse said:

I sure hope so
 4 years ago '04        #3
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,159 | Props total: 864 864
Me 2...EA used their monopoly to stagnate the football series
 4 years ago '05        #4
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,372 | Props total: 8050 8050
imagine ea making a game without the ncaa license
 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM         #5
Spid3yo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TattooedMPsz said:
imagine ea making a game without the ncaa license
Some of us were born before 1997 and actually remember when they did
 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM         #6
vaskillacam 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Either way...with our without the license they need to make NCAA better...they've been lacking on the past few.
 4 years ago '06        #7
Mike in Tampa 20 heat pts20
space
space
$12,925 | Props total: 2447 2447

[pic - click to view]

07-19-2013, 01:17 PM         #8
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If 2k makes one imo it won't be till 2015 because of the new systems and not having a base template for gameplay. If it came out next yr itd probably be rushed as fu*k and highly criticized. Bout damn time though. Wonder if anyone else steps up to make one.
 4 years ago '04        #9
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,662 | Props total: 515 515
This has me excited, not for EA, but because this gives 2K an opportunity to finally create a real football game within a real world, giving them incentive to create a long-running season mode which can keep users' interests.
 4 years ago '07        #10
CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943 OP
space
space
$27,629 | Props total: 16720 16720
 Cheeze said:
If 2k makes one imo it won't be till 2015 because of the new systems and not having a base template for gameplay. If it came out next yr itd probably be rushed as fu*k and highly criticized. Bout damn time though. Wonder if anyone else steps up to make one.
I can see the marketing now. Its been 10 yearssince the GOAT football game NFL 2k. We've waiting long enough...prepare for College Football 2k15! 2k's return to the gridiron. From the makers of the critically acclaimed nba 2k series and NFL 2k5.

4 years ago '05        #11
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,614 | Props total: 13674 13674
Where are all them phaggots who were celebrating because they thought EA wouldn't make another college game?
 4 years ago '05        #12
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,614 | Props total: 13674 13674
If 2K decides to jump in the college game, hopefully they come better than that God awful All Pro Football 2K8.

I love how 2K stans just pretend like that POS was never made.
 4 years ago '07        #13
link04 86 heat pts86
space
space
$12,597 | Props total: 3907 3907

[/QUOTE]

2k said they had no interest in making football games anymore, but hopefully someone will see the potential in this if they do.

i just played nfl 2k3 yesterday and i can honestly say it felt better than madden 13..
 4 years ago '07        #14
link04 86 heat pts86
space
space
 Y.G. said:
If 2K decides to jump in the college game, hopefully they come better than that God awful All Pro Football 2K8.

apf 2k8 was dope af to me, it was just unfortunate they had no nfl license so no one really bought into the idea of fake football teams with some legends.

it was the only 2k football game to make the current gen, it was a good attempt.
 4 years ago '07        #15
link04 86 heat pts86
space
space
 Y.G. said:
Where are all them phaggots who were celebrating because they thought EA wouldn't make another college game?
people was foolish to believe they was done..but i did say it would be something like "bill walsh college football" now just the ncaa official tag would be off it.
 4 years ago '04        #16
fatman 
space
space
$1,594 | Props total: 103 103
 Spid3yo said:
Some of us were born before 1997 and actually remember when they did
 4 years ago '06        #17
Clyde 1193 heat pts1193
space
space
$33,864 | Props total: 21104 21104

Who want it in ncaa football 14 though...360?
 4 years ago '09        #18
xslick504 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,842 | Props total: 1631 1631
 Y.G. said:

2k8 was one of the best football games ever made......
 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM         #19
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 link04 said:
apf 2k8 was dope af to me, it was just unfortunate they had no nfl license so no one really bought into the idea of fake football teams with some legends.

it was the only 2k football game to make the current gen, it was a good attempt.
It has better gameplay than most if not all of the past Madden's

Just like you said though the license being non-existent didn't help.
 4 years ago '04        #20
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
$18,667 | Props total: 3236 3236
i hope 2k does make a football game so the same dudes riding for all-pro football and 2k5 will whine and complain about it just like they do for the nba 2k series
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago