90's Hip Hop, East: #8: Reasonable Doubt (Jay-Z) vs. #9: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon)

most viewed right now
 153
Image(s) inside You Taking Down This Black/Thai MILF?
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 107
Image(s) inside Latina with a donkey butt 🍑
36 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 98
50 Cent says he will put Ja Rule to sleep if he ever sees him
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 79
Image(s) inside Offset RUIN Migo Rollout & Is Getting Cancel For Homophobic Line "I Do..
295 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Which is the better album?
#8: Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z 173 54.92%
#9: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon 142 45.08%
Voters: 315. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '05        #141
WCIB 112 heat pts112
space
avatar space
space
$25,358 | Props total: 10033 10033
 ash1990 said:

I love both albums but I prefer Doe or Die, even tho IWW was versatile......




:everybodymad:
 4 years ago '07        #142
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1616 1616
 ballergenetics said:
Can't call it. Illmatic is slightly better, but RD has aged better, if that makes sense..
no it hasn't aged better....Illmatic is a movie and takes you back to being in the hood back in 94...sh*t paints a vivid picturefor me dont know bout yall
 4 years ago '11        #143
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
avatar space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
-- these poll results so far...wow. Revisionist history is a muthabrutha!
 4 years ago '11        #144
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
avatar space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
 ballergenetics said:




















































 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM         #145
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ChickBoss414 said:
-- these poll results so far...wow. Revisionist history is a muthabrutha!


"Nas :: It Was Written :: Columbia
as reviewed by Steve 'Flash' Juon
Is Nas the Mayor of New York? Not likely. In fact, right now I think he's a "lame duck" if you will. See, he's still got the office until January, but he already lost in the election -- make room for Jay-Z. In a year when "Reasonable Doubt" would come out, how could you live with yourself for putting out weak product like this? That's like saying, "I don't give a fu*k, people love me anyway, so they'll buy anything that I put my name on." Peep the analysis:

1. He used WackMasterz, oops I mean TrackMasterz, to produce his LP.
2. Considering he used to rhyme with Large Professor, Akinyele and Fatal, collaborating with Foxxy Brown and AZ is a big slide downhill.
3. Even a song that is arguably one of the album's best, the DJ Premier produced "I Gave You Power", steals a concept by Organized Konfusion.
If you heard the ninety-six update of Kurtis Blow's "If I Ruled the World" with Lauryn Hill and thought this would be the bomb album, think again. He comes off on one other ninety-six update, "Street Dreams", based on the Eurythmics classic "Sweet Dreams" -- other than that he just doesn't represent. Dr. Dre's "Nas Is Coming" may be the most annoying of all -- total saccharin and no substance, with a chorus guaranteed to irritate like nails on a blackboard. Nas is not coming, in fact he's going -- watch that the Mayor's office door don't hit you on the way out and careful of the worker with Jay-Z's plush leather couch.

ORIGINAL HEADz UP! score: 3 out of 6 (converted to RapReviews.com)
TOTAL Vibes: 5 out of 10

Originally posted: August 1996
source: HEADz UP!"

Revisionist history, huh? That review I posted was published in the year of 1996 and Jay-Z was already being hailed as the "mayor of New York"--just off the strength of Reasonable Doubt.

There are plenty of other favorable reviews written that very same year that were high in praise of the album also, so don't try to disorient others by insinuating that Reasonable Doubt fell on death ears and had no immediate impact when it was released.
 4 years ago '05        #146
YARKONE 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,500 | Props total: 378 378
i think 156 members never copped ob4cl.
 4 years ago '11        #147
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
avatar space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
 Analytical One said:


"Nas :: It Was Written :: Columbia
as reviewed by Steve 'Flash' Juon
Is Nas the Mayor of New York? Not likely. In fact, right now I think he's a "lame duck" if you will. See, he's still got the office until January, but he already lost in the election -- make room for Jay-Z. In a year when "Reasonable Doubt" would come out, how could you live with yourself for putting out weak product like this? That's like saying, "I don't give a fu*k, people love me anyway, so they'll buy anything that I put my name on." Peep the analysis:

1. He used WackMasterz, oops I mean TrackMasterz, to produce his LP.
2. Considering he used to rhyme with Large Professor, Akinyele and Fatal, collaborating with Foxxy Brown and AZ is a big slide downhill.
3. Even a song that is arguably one of the album's best, the DJ Premier produced "I Gave You Power", steals a concept by Organized Konfusion.
If you heard the ninety-six update of Kurtis Blow's "If I Ruled the World" with Lauryn Hill and thought this would be the bomb album, think again. He comes off on one other ninety-six update, "Street Dreams", based on the Eurythmics classic "Sweet Dreams" -- other than that he just doesn't represent. Dr. Dre's "Nas Is Coming" may be the most annoying of all -- total saccharin and no substance, with a chorus guaranteed to irritate like nails on a blackboard. Nas is not coming, in fact he's going -- watch that the Mayor's office door don't hit you on the way out and careful of the worker with Jay-Z's plush leather couch.

ORIGINAL HEADz UP! score: 3 out of 6 (converted to RapReviews.com)
TOTAL Vibes: 5 out of 10

Originally posted: August 1996
source: HEADz UP!"

Revisionist history, huh? That review I posted was published in the year of 1996 and Jay-Z was already being hailed as the "mayor of New York"--just off the strength of Reasonable Doubt.

There are plenty of other favorable reviews written that very same year that were high in praise of the album also, so don't try to disorient others by insinuating that Reasonable Doubt fell on death ears and had no immediate impact when it was released.


-- I was referring to THE POLL in relations to OB4CL vs RD....I appreciate your research...but I lived in the moment enough to understand the impacts and influences of these albums for myself and the people around me...we were liberal enough not to rely solely on (biased) publications to persuade how we interpreted the music -- or the artist..
 4 years ago '11        #148
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$3,839 | Props total: 227 227
Wow! I'm surprised OB4CL got this many votes on this camel d!ck sucking infested place.
 4 years ago '11        #149
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$3,839 | Props total: 227 227
 ballergenetics said:
You're surprised because of that blind hatred you got...Lol. People who say these kind of things are usually on the equally as annoying (a lot of times worse) opposite side with the Jay haters. For every Stan there's atleast one equally as annoying hater. With that being said this particular poll should be close, regardless.

I think Reasonable Doubt is on par with Illmatic. I even sometimes prefer it over Illmatic.
 4 years ago '12        #150
Izg0d 
space
avatar space
space
$791 | Props total: 15 15
OB4CL YEA bi*ch I SAID IT FUK RD WAST FEELIN JAY LIKE THAT BAK DEN...MY OPINION SO DONT START bi*chIN
 4 years ago '13        #151
PursuitProgress 
space
avatar space
space
$1,374 | Props total: 121 121
Reasonable Doubt... But I'm not confident at all.
 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM         #152
Mwana Ya Lola 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is this a joke ?

Rd is winning over OBFCL ?

This site and he Camel stans
 4 years ago '11        #153
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$3,839 | Props total: 227 227
 ballergenetics said:
So you're just oblivious to the fact that Jay has just as many (probably more) haters, then...?

What??? More haters than stans? Here? Pfsss...



This blasphemous thread will be bookmarked for further reference in the future when it comes to Jay stans.
 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM         #154
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ChickBoss414 said:
-- I was referring to THE POLL in relations to OB4CL vs RD....I appreciate your research...but I lived in the moment enough to understand the impacts and influences of these albums for myself and the people around me...we were liberal enough not to rely solely on (biased) publications to persuade how we interpreted the music -- or the artist..
My impartiality allows me to recognize that Reasonable Doubt was just as celebrated around the time of its release as OB4CL. And I clearly stated in my post that I'd be able to present you with several other publications written at the time of its release that were in favor of the album.

Reasonable Doubt achieved Gold status within a similar duration of time in which it took OB4CL to achieve so, charted more successful singles, and was far more quoted and referred to by other rappers than OB4CL little after its release, so I'm not sure what "impact" or "influence" you're talking about outside of OB4CL "pioneering" mafioso rap--even though Kool G Rap was rapping about what they were rapping a decade prior...
 4 years ago '11        #155
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$3,839 | Props total: 227 227
 ballergenetics said:
Like I said, you just don't want to see it..lol
I find it funny that you'd put RD over Illmatic (some days), but its "blasphemous" to put it over OB4CL. Maybe you're just slightly biased towards OB4CL..? Regardless, I love both albums.
Lastly, something for you to chew on...


What's next? The Blueprint over Supreme Clientele??? fu*k that!
 4 years ago '13        #156
Impeccable 219 heat pts219
space
avatar space
space
$15,060 | Props total: 1874 1874
The Blueprint is better than SC tho
 4 years ago '04        #157
missing linX 
space
avatar space
space
$1,503 | Props total: 150 150
Cuban Linx is one of my personal favorites and I think it's one of the best hip hop albums ever really.
 4 years ago '07        #158
dnycem 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,787 | Props total: 1794 1794
OB4CL easy
 4 years ago '09        #159
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
avatar space
space
$49,205 | Props total: 9046 9046
 ballergenetics said:
You miss the thread I made a while back on the same topic...? You see the poll results...? It just depends on the time, really. BP vs SC....could be an interesting poll as well...
Jay-Z would win because he has millions of loyal fans.

 4 years ago '11        #160
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$3,839 | Props total: 227 227
 ash1990 said:
Jay-Z would win because he has millions of loyal fans.

90% of which can't name other rappers except Eminem, Kanye, Kid Cudi or Macklemore. Not to mention the whole hip-hop culture in general and its history.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 34
Video inside Check out the recoil from this pistol.
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 28
Image(s) inside Chantel Jeffries Camel T0e
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 27
Image(s) inside Baccshots would be crazy.
73 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 18
Image(s) inside Nike Air Max Day 2018 Lineup....Oh yeah
34 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside Damn! @Ari Gold He Got Himself A PAWG
127 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 12
Article inside Mark Wahlberg Denies Steroid Ring Involvement: ‘Accusations Are Compl..
97 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 11
Cardi B Tops Beyonce to Become First Woman With Five Simultaneous Top 10 Hits ..
76 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 10
Video inside CHECK OUT BIG DYCK BRACO :ojwhoa:
100 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy