90's Hip Hop, East: #8: Reasonable Doubt (Jay-Z) vs. #9: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
124 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
69 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which is the better album?
#8: Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z 173 54.92%
#9: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon 142 45.08%
Voters: 315. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '13        #41
Impeccable 212 heat pts212
space
space
$14,914 | Props total: 1347 1347
Lmao at Raekwon having the better album. Boxden is so disrespectful to the impact of albums
 4 years ago '13        #42
SWAYYZE 20 heat pts20
space
space
$15,884 | Props total: 10044 10044
Yawn.... OBFCL w/o a doubt . Ghostface k!llah alone on that album > than RD. The false hype of RD is pathetic. Seriously. Too even put it against OBFCL is a mockery.
 4 years ago '05        #43
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,264 | Props total: 9750 9750
 Impeccable said:
Lmao at Raekwon having the better album. Boxden is so disrespectful to the impact of albums
What impact? OB4CL had a way bigger impact for years before Jay's RD was considered a classic. Add this to the list of the things you're confused about, sadly. This is one thing people are correct about in his criticisms of Jay. Reasonable Doubt had a tiny impact on NY... OB4CL had 'Ice Cream' amongst other tracks getting bumped nationwide. These are facts. It took years before RD had any real impact and even then, many of those people still considered OB4CL the superior album.

And what does impact have to do with OB4CL being better than RD? Sadly, this tells me you've either never heard the album, or you're stanning hard for RD. There are a LOT of people who consider OB4CL one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever made. Yes, even over Reasonable Doubt. That isn't something to LMAO about and call disrespectful... If it was RD vs. Immobilarity or some sh*t, then I'd see the problem.
 07-19-2013, 03:40 AM         #44
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Reasonable Doubt. The standout moments of Reasonable Doubt (Jay's verses on "Can I Live", the production on "Dead Presidents II", the chemistry shared between Big Jaz & Sauce Money on "Bring It On", the poignancy of "Regrets") eclipse those on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

Reasonable Doubt also arguably has the greatest five-track sequence of all time from "Dead Presidents II" thru "Can I Live.

The production on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is really the only consistent reason as to why I see people hail the album as great. Raekwon and Ghost's rapping is far too esoteric for me to appreciate.
 4 years ago '11        #45
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
space
$3,829 | Props total: 219 219
I ain't even gonna' bring arguments 'cause it will take me a whole lot of time, but... OB4CL.
 4 years ago '04        #46
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,567 | Props total: 2837 2837
ob4cl seeded way too low
 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM         #47
Vincent Vega 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Impeccable said:
What is there to laugh about? It is the better album lol, talkin bout impact...Cuban Linux heavily impacted the game. Rae and ghost fathered a whoooole lotta bastard rappers with that tape.know what u talking bout before you disrespect youngin
 4 years ago '04        #48
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,567 | Props total: 2837 2837
ob4cl one of the most impactful albums ever in the genre

It should have garnered a 3 seed, maybe even a 2 seed. . .gonna be disrespectful to have it exit next round when it goes up against Illmatic
 4 years ago '07        #49
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,916 | Props total: 574 574
 WCIB said:
What impact? OB4CL had a way bigger impact for years before Jay's RD was considered a classic. Add this to the list of the things you're confused about, sadly. This is one thing people are correct about in his criticisms of Jay. Reasonable Doubt had a tiny impact on NY... OB4CL had 'Ice Cream' amongst other tracks getting bumped nationwide. These are facts. It took years before RD had any real impact and even then, many of those people still considered OB4CL the superior album.

And what does impact have to do with OB4CL being better than RD? Sadly, this tells me you've either never heard the album, or you're stanning hard for RD. There are a LOT of people who consider OB4CL one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever made. Yes, even over Reasonable Doubt. That isn't something to LMAO about and call disrespectful... If it was RD vs. Immobilarity or some sh*t, then I'd see the problem.
No need to type paragraphs because none of those points have anything to do with the poll

Purple tape wins because boxden has a problem with jay winning anything
 4 years ago '06        #50
Maddog345 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 264 264
OB4CL without a doubt. I can't believe the votes are that close.

Reasonable Doubt is a solid album but OB4CL is a masterpiece.
 4 years ago '08        #51
senseispab 
space
space
$941 | Props total: 0 0
OB4CL very easily

RD is a great rap album
OB4CL is a great album
 4 years ago '04        #52
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,177 | Props total: 892 892
 abstractq said:
ob4cl one of the most impactful albums ever in the genre

It should have garnered a 3 seed, maybe even a 2 seed. . .gonna be disrespectful to have it exit next round when it goes up against Illmatic
Cuban Linx got this one

and you know what....
[pic - click to view]

you're right

Edit: Cuban Linx shoulda breen swapped with Fear of A Black Planet

Last edited by Tic Toc; 07-19-2013 at 08:39 AM..
 4 years ago '09        #53
Vos 2 heat pts
space
space
$903 | Props total: 0 0
God, I hate this board sometimes...anybody who's trying to slight Reasonable Doubt and say it's 'overhyped' should stop listening to hip hop. Objectively, it's a classic and deserves all the praise it normally gets.
 4 years ago '10        #54
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,204 | Props total: 15741 15741
I cant belive yall n*ggas

I love both of these albums but RD>>>>>

[video - click to view]

this whole album is a story as well
 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM         #55
Hotboy1982 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
built 4 cuban linx
 4 years ago '10        #56
Walmart 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,918 | Props total: 9072 9072
RD IMO, OB4CL is a hands down classic, but Jay's lyrics and flow were next level on RD IMO.

OB4CL changed the game too, but I give the slight edge to RD
 4 years ago '05        #57
PCP MC 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,347 | Props total: 0 0
It should be this close and it's good that Cuban Linx winning. RD is definitely class but CL was mind-blowing in the whole aura and depth of the project.
 4 years ago '10        #58
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,563 | Props total: 5929 5929
 Analytical One said:
Reasonable Doubt. The standout moments of Reasonable Doubt (Jay's verses on "Can I Live", the production on "Dead Presidents II", the chemistry shared between Big Jaz & Sauce Money on "Bring It On", the poignancy of "Regrets") eclipse those on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

Reasonable Doubt also arguably has the greatest five-track sequence of all time from "Dead Presidents II" thru "Can I Live.

The production on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is really the only consistent reason as to why I see people hail the album as great. Raekwon and Ghost's rapping is far too esoteric for me to appreciate.
Word, a lot of cats don't even know what those two are talking about a majority of the time. It just sounds cool, LOL.
 4 years ago '07        #59
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,916 | Props total: 574 574
 Ant McQueen said:
Word, a lot of cats don't even know what those two are talking about a majority of the time. It just sounds cool, LOL.

That sh*t is almost like luchini everybody thinks its fire buut nobody knows one verse
 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM         #60
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Boxden always gives me the inside look on suburban folk's take on Hip Hop

Nobody knows one verse from Cuban Links?
[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
88 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
70 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
81 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
84 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
53 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
114 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy