50 vs DMX - Who had more hype/buzz around their debut?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
14 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
50 Cent Says Jay Z Will Fail In Boxing Promotion....and he was right
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
209 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

50 161 79.31%
DMX 42 20.69%
Voters: 203. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '11        #61
GrindPOWER$ 389 heat pts389
space
space
$19,247 | Props total: 12497 12497
Both because X was crazy controversial when he came out bi*ches love dude aggression and dudes love the hardcore music but 50 had dudes looking for his album like it was the holy grail i mean everybody and there mama was bumping get rich or die trying
 4 years ago '06        #62
sincere7576 
space
space
$310 | Props total: 0 0
Dmx just off that LL song 4,3,2,1
 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM         #63
guccilouieprada 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
50 k!llin em.. Only person wit more was the biggavel
 4 years ago '09        #64
DJ Geezy 11 heat pts11
space
space
$2,393 | Props total: 207 207
50's hype was on a whole other level.

X put out almost 3 classics in less than 2 years.

On a hype level it's got to be 50...but X is the better artist by light years.

The hype is what k!lled 50...he couldn't handle it and sold out.

So he got rich but his career died from tryin.
 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM         #65
Rhyme n Tekniq 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah 50's buzz as early as the middle of 2002 was on mythological levels which is such a mindfu*k to see a n*gga that had the world on his d!ck barely get paid attention to now. Dude was treated like a real life marvel comics character that happened to rap or some sh*t
 4 years ago '04        #66
haff3131 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,111 | Props total: 10 10
haha its funny watchin people goin back to re write history man.. X had no where near the buzz 50 had, and i was old enough to remember it perfectly clear. Like one other person pointed out, Canibus had just as much buzz at the time simply because people were getting tired of the puffy and mase sh*t. and if im reading it right, its dark was 5x platinum and flesh of my flesh was only 3x platinum, meaning he lost about 2 million sales that same year.

it was also a year that had like 20 rap artists go multiplatinum, so EVERYBODY was selling records. 50's buzz was the perfect storm. He had the exact right sound, with the exact right back story, co signed by the exact right group, at the exact right time..that sort of buzz will never happen again.
 4 years ago '09        #67
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,391 | Props total: 5095 5095
50's buzz was crazy...everybody and their mama knew who 50 was and i mean that literally
 4 years ago '04        #68
haff3131 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,111 | Props total: 10 10
i used to bump x's sh*t back in the day when i was younger, i literally cant even listen to him anymore. as i got older i realized he literally had no substance to any of his music, and half the time had the simplest rhyme scheme and rhymed the same 5 words in nearly all his songs. i regard his first album as a classic simply because i have alot of memories tied with that time period and bumpin his music. but he was always a below average lyricist. he just made up for it and then some with energy.
 4 years ago '05        #69
Nickel 118 heat pts118
space
space
$11,231 | Props total: 179 179
I remember very well when DMX came out and when 50 Came out....with that said....X's buzz was fu*king incredible to the point where a n*gga couldn't go nowhere without hearing his name...2 #1 albums in the same year with a movie on top of that...and being a front runner for Def Jam....AND the RUFF RYDER'S Anthem....yea...fu*king ridiculous...

however

50.....that n*gga just came out the gate and k!lled sh*t....n*gga's buzz was so incredible to the point where he halted Ja Rule's buzz....remember...Ja was that n*gga from 2000-2002....then Wanksta dropped and k!lled that n*gga's buzz (and shortly after, his career and the label a.ssociated with him) while adding fuel to his buzz and G-Unit's....
 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM         #70
Cheesypoof 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 haff3131 said:
i used to bump x's sh*t back in the day when i was younger, i literally cant even listen to him anymore. as i got older i realized he literally had no substance to any of his music, and half the time had the simplest rhyme scheme and rhymed the same 5 words in nearly all his songs. i regard his first album as a classic simply because i have alot of memories tied with that time period and bumpin his music. but he was always a below average lyricist. he just made up for it and then some with energy.
u gotta be trolling.

DMX has lyrics for days.

DMX is way more lyrical than 50 thats not even debatable (Im a fan of both)
 4 years ago '04        #71
Cali 
space
space
space
$295 | Props total: 9 9
 ballergenetics said:
The 50 buzz was fu*kin nuts...
The 50 buzz was comparable to the Wu buzz on their second album.

DMX mightve had a buzz ... but it was more in the hip hop community.

While 50s album was on the news marketing "9 shots"

The Wu buzz was similar in the same fashion that people actually lined up to buy Wu-tang Forever.

DMX did not make the News.

Within our community this does not take away from DMXs talent.
In fact im dying to hear DMX the way he was in his first albums rather than 50.

When you talk about buzz and marketing ... 50 takes the cake
 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM         #72
HeatedOne 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Everybody know 50 had that buzz for all the females lady parts!! (Pause)
 4 years ago '05        #73
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
$6,478 | Props total: 3 3
50's buzz was worldwide.
 4 years ago '04        #74
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,213 | Props total: 2214 2214
I think people are talking about something different when they are saying X was bigger.

X may have been bigger after his first album dropped, but before 50 was everywhere. Getting shot 9 times, Beefing with Ja Rule, getting signed to Em, his mixtape/internet buzz and then to top it off Dre's beat for In Da Club. I swear they had a special on 50 on MTV before his album even dropped. They were playing snippets of I smell pus*y, is that you JA?

X's buzz after his first album dropped was huge though. Not to mention he pretty much single handedly steered the rap game away from the shiny suits era.
 4 years ago '04        #75
focused313 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,097 | Props total: 1337 1337
As others have stated, I think it's 50 by a long shot. Mostly because he was backed by Eminem and Dr. Dre and the suburban fan base of hip hop is bigger than urban african-americans. I know black people think we own rap, but blacks are still a small percentage of the US, so even if 1% of white people listen to rap, on a count basis, that would be equal to 50% of blacks...or some messed up math like that (didn't feel like checking census data).

I don't think DMX was even noticed by mainstream whites, or pop america, until "yall gone make me lose my mind". That's when my grandma knew who he was and she listens to as much rap as a 75 yr old white guy would who grew up on nascar.
 4 years ago '10        #76
Trill Livin 65 heat pts65
space
space
$14,406 | Props total: 6227 6227
 4 years ago '06        #77
realgunta 703 heat pts703
space
space
$20,467 | Props total: 16158 16158
50 hands down
 4 years ago '04        #78
gunit4life 
space
space
$2,110 | Props total: 0 0
fidy

its not even close...

yes DMX had 2 number 1 LPs in 1 year but the BUZZ that 50cent had created was HUGE

not even close.
 4 years ago '04        #79
D. Norman 6 heat pts
space
space
$14,847 | Props total: 1980 1980
fiddy you hot.

But if we talking 1 of the 2 to put out an album by the end of this year... X BABYYYY!!!!

I rather have X put out an album than 50. Fif material is just soft and not hungry, and when he try to put out some gangster sh*t it just seems forced, plus no1 wanna hear yayo and ive been off banks since his punchlines ran out a few years back

Last edited by D. Norman; 07-17-2013 at 04:10 PM..
 4 years ago '06        #80
Bman409 20 heat pts20
space
space
$20,382 | Props total: 2440 2440
I fu*ks with DMX over 50 Cent but 50 Cent had a bigger buzz when he first came out. Everybody I knew was on 50 Cent's mixtapes daily.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
48 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
62 comments
22 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
101 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy