LL Cool J Talks Jay-Z's #MCHG Sales 'I Like To Know That A Million People Went Out & Bought My Album

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
258 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
75 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
65 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '04        #61
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
What LL is saying is valid, I can respect it. But Jay is doing both: Moving 1M units to a corporation and then another 1M to loyal fans. He's already at 500+K first week; how many other artists can accomplish that after giving away their album for free a week before?

I know the question was asked, but LL doesn't have much room to talk about loyal fans when he hasn't touched platinum in over 15 years. Respect a legend though.
 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM         #62
Hotboy1982 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My thing is this, if 1.3 million downloaded the app to get the album, that means that there was 1.3 million people were to some degree or another, are fans of his music. Even if 70-80 percent or less were actual fans, the fact remains that there were 1.3 million people who were willing to wait out the deadline and download the app to get the music right to their phone-so how is that not "touching" people when his brand provided instant gratification through a middleman of sorts (Samsung). Not only that, the fact the app had over 20 million hits, and there were reported crashes to the app due to the overwhelming amount of people trying to download it as soon as the deadline hit should say something as far as how much did his plan "touch" the fans.
 4 years ago '11        #63
DesolateOne 32 heat pts32
space
space
$3,780 | Props total: 66 66
 gimmethat said:
FYI :the best fans dont always buy music ,some of u cheap mofos havent bought an album in the last 10 years

[pic - click to view]

We've seen people like LL Cool J have longevity and we respect the heritage of what he's done but it's not like right now he's competing on the same level as Lil' Wayne so for me to still be able to compete at that level at my age, that's rarefied air, it's never been done.
Who's teaching that n*gga new words, you know he ain't smart like that.

Weakest fu*king legend in hip hop when you look at his catalog: LL Cool J.
Are you high on bath salts? You are a fu*king retard, it's official.
 4 years ago '09        #64
bigscore 1632 heat pts1632
space
space
$12,832 | Props total: 17935 17935
LL is correct...
 4 years ago '12        #65
McGirt876 7 heat pts
space
space
$754 | Props total: 793 793
Diet Shade.....

What LL talking bout in general terms is true and i'll give him that but he's not taking into account that the album DID get to a million people. They just didn't buy it

4 years ago '11        #66
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,751 | Props total: 4949 4949
dafuq Cool James talking about
 4 years ago '13        #67
The Originator 15 heat pts15
space
space
$8,865 | Props total: 3850 3850
LL been mad ever since he lost that battle to an unsigned Jay at the nightclub lol. But all jokes aside, I didnt hear anything out of hate in this interview
 4 years ago '13        #68
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
LL said nothing but facts
 4 years ago '04        #69
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$19,025 | Props total: 4653 4653
well is it jay fault no company ever wanted to buy 1. Million of any one elses aalbums?
 4 years ago '10        #70
trill jackson 738 heat pts738
space
space
$18,863 | Props total: 13320 13320
jay z played his music for his uncle. his uncle told him he'd never be as good as ll cool j. hov took it to heart and made it a lifetime goal to prove to his uncle he was better than cool j. i even heard he ran up on l and smashed him in a battle. these two got history that go back further than hovs def jam presidency days, it's a shame these interviewers don't have the balls to ask either of them to talk about battling in the past
 4 years ago '10        #71
trill jackson 738 heat pts738
space
space
$18,863 | Props total: 13320 13320
mr i'll forgive you for slavery if you forgive us for wearing gold chains has spoken
 4 years ago '13        #72
CrunchTime CDN 435 heat pts435
space
space
$10,744 | Props total: 7246 7246
 dblockallday said:
wait so it counted as a million sales because a million people downloaded it for free via the app? that doesn't make any sense at all.
SAMSUNG bought the 1st 1 Million digital copies to give away free to it's users.

that's a million sold to SAMSUNG & it was smart & better than just paying Jay-Z to do a ad campaign for the same price.

So Jay won , SAMSUNG won & the people getting free music without stealing it won only people who lost was the haters.

why y'all mad?

#NewRules
 4 years ago '12        #73
Carib Breeze 28 heat pts28
space
space
$4,268 | Props total: 11 11
so after 1 week Jay sold half that million huh
 4 years ago '05        #74
YARKONE 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,500 | Props total: 378 378
I love Jay for everything he is... So as LL, but when yall come in and say... "Its Great Marketing" yall sound like Dave Chapelle impersonating a Cracker, yeah it's great marketing but LL not trying to sound like a Hater its... selling your album to a company like samsung and then claiming "Platinum Status" is the definition of a sellout!

sh*t bX's popular opoinion is that 50 a sellout, while if u look back to his last album... hip-hop wise is better then Jay MCHG but it's jay.. THE ultimate hustler so we don't dare calling the flaws in his shennanigans.

IM a Jay stan since I bought his Vol 1 in 97... U cant argue with me that this guy doesnt have all the flows, Ill beat u down with a library of the best flows he got, wich is HIP-HOP 101 to me. But I see this move as selfish... I own an Iphone... and I do have the album, but what about me... How do not get a free MCHG... cause I dont roll with Samsung... It's not being salty... it's being real. A million half a.ssed fans who will download the app to not appreciate JAY.

Last edited by YARKONE; 07-16-2013 at 10:20 PM..
 4 years ago '10        #75
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
Probably already been asked but,

When's the last time "a million people went out and bought" and LLCoolJ album?
 4 years ago '13        #76
CrunchTime CDN 435 heat pts435
space
space
$10,744 | Props total: 7246 7246
 YARKONE said:
I love Jay for everything he is... So as LL, but when yall come in and say... "Its Great Marketing" yall sound like Dave Chapelle impersonating a Cracker, yeah it's great marketing but LL not trying to sound like a Hater its... selling your album to a company like samsung and then claiming "Platinum Status" is the definition of a sellout!

sh*t bX's popular opoinion is that 50 a sellout, while if u look back to his last album... hip-hop wise is better then Jay MCHG but it's jay.. THE ultimate hustler so we don't dare calling the flaws in his shennanigans.

IM a Jay stan since I bought his Vol 1 in 97... U cant argue with me that this guy doesnt have all the flows, Ill beat u down with a library of the best flows he got, wich is HIP-HOP 101 to me. But I see this move as selfish... I own an Iphone... and I do have the album, but what about me... How do not get a free MCHG... cause I dont roll with Samsung... It's not being salty... it's being real. A million half a.ssed fans who will download the app to not appreciate JAY.
Now understand why this was a win for SAMSUNG & Jay-Z.
 4 years ago '05        #77
hustlehard365 
space
space
space
$3,362 | Props total: 885 885
 Im Soo Special said:
LL is not mad

Jay initially hated on LL

Cause he destroyed him in battles and he is/was the face of Def Jam. Jay wanted to be what LL was
jay-z beat LL in the battle not the other way around
 07-17-2013, 02:55 AM         #78
Niruggg 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WCIB said:
Too easy.

gimmethat said:
LL hates j.

i get the logic but the people got the music,thats the most important thing...and the best way for an artist to know if he "touched the people" is to go on tour
And thats what hes doing

FYI :the best fans dont always buy music ,some of u cheap mofos havent bought an album in the last 10 years
difference between fan & listener

Last edited by Niruggg; 07-17-2013 at 03:13 AM..
 4 years ago '05        #79
sheedawg 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,508 | Props total: 252 252
If any of ya'll watched The Dreams Revolt interview then this wouldnt even be a discussion. His main point was that if you selling for example 200k for your music, you know FOR A FACT more than 200k are actually listening to it, these dudes aint dumb enough to go in with a business model and sell themselves short.

Why wouldnt you want to maximize profit knowing that people gonna listen to for free anyways, so might as well get some money for the music your offering, end of the day its the music BUSINESS. Jay guaranteed a sale of a million, which is something that just doesnt happen in todays music business period due the climate and what the internet is.

at this "real fans were deprived" bullsh*t, so real Carter 1 Wayne fans were the majority of Carter III fanbase? GTFOH. Lollipop and A Milli were monster singles that the average fan caught onto and went on to buy the album off the back of those singles.

Ya'll looking for reasons to hate on Jay instead of applauding him, and what even worse is that Jay is stating FACT, he sold a million albums before the album dropped. Nowhere did he say he sold a million to real fans, people etc.
 4 years ago '05        #80
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,242 | Props total: 9647 9647
 trill jackson said:
mr i'll forgive you for slavery if you forgive us for wearing gold chains has spoken
Greatest post in the thread, by far.

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago