The Weeknd’s First-Ever Interview: “I Gave [Drake] a Lot of Records”

most viewed right now
 NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
26 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
135 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
21 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
133 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '05        #21
ice wolf 515 heat pts515
space
space
$9,300 | Props total: 5487 5487
Nothing was the Same isn't gonna be as good as Take Care because of the absence of The Weeknd & his production team. The Drake / Abel collabs were all incredible. They brought a more experimental level of weirdness that Drake couldn't really bring to the table on his own.

IMO Abel as an artist >>>> Drake

Drake's a dope Rapper, but his corniness can be unbearable at times.

I'm from Toronto and I know ppl from both of their camps.

This is my unbiased opinion.
 4 years ago '05        #22
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
Damn, HOB with Shot for Me, Crew Love & The Ride?
 4 years ago '09        #23
trock34 93 heat pts93
space
space
space
$25,170 | Props total: 7346 7346
great interview
 4 years ago '11        #24
Kobane 163 heat pts163
space
space
$15,105 | Props total: 2320 2320
 4 years ago '08        #25
Sykopaf 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$607 | Props total: 1398 1398
 WCIB said:
Wait... So Drake didn't write those?

Uh oh.

Let the Stan battle begin!

How did you give it to him? Was it just an instrumental?
Yeah, we were making the drum loop and...oh, man, I had smoked I don’t know how much weed. Even Drake, he came into that session and we were all smoked out. It was terrible how much weed smoke was in that room. I was surprised I could even hit a note. I had sung this melody—it wasn’t a hook, just an unfinished lyric. And he liked it so much, he was like, “I need to have this, man.... I know I’ve already taken ‘Shot for Me’ and ‘Crew Love’ and this and that.” And me, I was hungry at that time. I was like, “Dude, take anything.” At that point I was like, “Hell, yeah.”

When you do a feature for other artists, do you give them an entire song?
With “Crew Love,” it wasn’t like that. Like I said, that was my song. I had a hook and I had a second verse. And Drake heard it and he was like, “fu*k, man.”

...I fu*king hate that second verse. That was a complete freestyle as well. I’m glad Drake placed his vocals on it. That song was so special to him. I didn’t hear that verse until maybe four or five months after I gave it to him. Even with “The Zone,” I was scared I was going to have to put out Thursday before his verse came in because Drake takes his time. He makes sure that he says the right sh*t and his flow is on point.

What did you do on “Practice”?
That whole hook was me. That’s probably the only song I wrote for Take Care. The rest of it was just sh*t I was going to have for [House of Balloons]. He really wanted to incorporate my sound, which was inspired by his sound. It’s not like, “Oh, I had the ‘new sound.’” It was just easier for him to relate to me, because it was his sound with an edge. It was that Toronto sound. So yeah, you’re right. I feel like I could have been that for his album

[pic - click to view]

False alarm. The only song he says he 'wrote' is a song written by someone else.
 4 years ago '04        #26
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,427 | Props total: 6458 6458
 GameTheory said:
Huh???

Drake rapped on it. Of course Abel was on the hook. He didn't "MAKE" the song though.

Drake doesn't produce. How the hell can he take more credit than he actually deserves?

n*ggas will do ANYTHING to take credit from established artists.
the weeknd doesn't produce either. he probably got them credits because he helped with the melody while doc/illangelo made the beats. this basically sounds like what 50 did for game on his first album. gave him 4-5 tracks that he was going to do something with

so if people were getting at game for that then they would be hypocrites if they don't do the same for drake here

Last edited by justinjones; 07-15-2013 at 02:23 PM..
 4 years ago '10        #27
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5679 5679
 GameTheory said:
Huh???

Drake rapped on it. Of course Abel was on the hook. He didn't "MAKE" the song though.

Drake doesn't produce. How the hell can he take more credit than he actually deserves?

maaaan chill. Aint that serious
 4 years ago '04        #28
space
space
 ice wolf said:
Nothing was the Same isn't gonna be as good as Take Care because of the absence of The Weeknd & his production team. The Drake / Abel collabs were all incredible. They brought a more experimental level of weirdness that Drake couldn't really bring to the table on his own.

so its basically

boi 1da(he was almost absent on take care) and outside producers did on thank me later

vs

the weeknd/illagelo/doc did on take care

vs

partynextdoor/mike zombie(he signed with drake?) on nothing was the same

the only constant is 40
 4 years ago '05        #29
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
 GameTheory said:
Huh???

lol lotta d!ck riding in this thread for no reason. the weeknd gave this n*gga credit and said he was influenced by drake's style but added more edge to it and these n*ggas really in here saying the weeknd fathered his style

am i the only one who remembered when the weeknds buzz started people thought he was drake's artist and they thought 40 was producing for him because his sound was so much like so far gone? 'tf up wit y'all.
 4 years ago '12        #30
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,054 | Props total: 17292 17292
 Sykopaf said:

How did you give it to him? Was it just an instrumental?
Yeah, we were making the drum loop and...oh, man, I had smoked I don’t know how much weed. Even Drake, he came into that session and we were all smoked out. It was terrible how much weed smoke was in that room. I was surprised I could even hit a note. I had sung this melody—it wasn’t a hook, just an unfinished lyric. And he liked it so much, he was like, “I need to have this, man.... I know I’ve already taken ‘Shot for Me’ and ‘Crew Love’ and this and that.” And me, I was hungry at that time. I was like, “Dude, take anything.” At that point I was like, “Hell, yeah.”

When you do a feature for other artists, do you give them an entire song?
With “Crew Love,” it wasn’t like that. Like I said, that was my song. I had a hook and I had a second verse. And Drake heard it and he was like, “fu*k, man.”

...I fu*king hate that second verse. That was a complete freestyle as well. I’m glad Drake placed his vocals on it. That song was so special to him. I didn’t hear that verse until maybe four or five months after I gave it to him. Even with “The Zone,” I was scared I was going to have to put out Thursday before his verse came in because Drake takes his time. He makes sure that he says the right sh*t and his flow is on point.

What did you do on “Practice”?
That whole hook was me. That’s probably the only song I wrote for Take Care. The rest of it was just sh*t I was going to have for [House of Balloons]. He really wanted to incorporate my sound, which was inspired by his sound. It’s not like, “Oh, I had the ‘new sound.’” It was just easier for him to relate to me, because it was his sound with an edge. It was that Toronto sound. So yeah, you’re right. I feel like I could have been that for his album

[pic - click to view]

False alarm. The only song he says he 'wrote' is a song written by someone else.
I think you misunderstood that tho...hes saying thats the only record he WROTE FOR Take Care....cause the other songs were WROTE FOR House of Balloons.

Not a false alarm. Cry on
 4 years ago '04        #31
space
space
 Martel said:
lol lotta d!ck riding in this thread for no reason. the weeknd gave this n*gga credit and said he was influenced by drake's style but added more edge to it and these n*ggas really in here saying the weeknd fathered his style

am i the only one who remembered when the weeknds buzz started people thought he was drake's artist and they thought 40 was producing for him because his sound was so much like so far gone? 'tf up wit y'all.
people really thought that
 4 years ago '08        #32
Sykopaf 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$607 | Props total: 1398 1398
 OG k!lla said:
I think you misunderstood that tho...hes saying thats the only record he WROTE FOR Take Care....cause the other songs were WRITTEN FOR House of Balloons.

Not a false alarm. Cry on
Ahh. I see. Still a false alarm.
 4 years ago '05        #33
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
 justinjones said:
people really thought that
yea that was the big rumor floating around when house of balloons dropped. wish i could find the thread.

Early rumors speculated that Drake’s main producer, Noah “40” Shebib, also produced The Weeknd, but the group has shot down those rumors.

Although the duo’s vibe is similar to that of October’s Very Own in-house producer Noah “40” Shebib, The Weeknd took to the net to clear things up about their relationship to the Drake-affiliated producer. “40 did not produce anything on this tape...Shout outs to 40 though!!”

ice wolf said:

so it isn't going to be good because it will not be featuring the Weeknd, who's input only led to the creation of 4 songs on an 18 song album? And because it won't feature his producers which were only on two songs? y'all crazy. all Drake needs is 40.
 4 years ago '04        #34
space
space
 Martel said:
yea that was the big rumor floating around when house of balloons dropped. wish i could find the thread.
they got some terrible ears. when the hell did 40 ever make music like that

40 got one sound...which i hope he switches up within the next album or 2. the reason it hasn't got played out because he only works with drake but i would like to hear drake on some different type of vibe for an album
 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM         #35
SleepTight 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JETSoverERTHING said:
The Ride is one of "Drakes" best songs..... Get to know THE GOD made it

he literally said Get instead of good

fu*king psychotic
 4 years ago '13        #36
sMdH 
space
space
space
$21 | Props total: 0 0
Weeknd been Ghostin for Drizzy a while now. so have others.
 4 years ago '07        #37
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6134 6134
Abel made drake

He should hand his grammy over to this man.
 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM         #38
varcitykid 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sticks said:
Sounds like he's a little too full of himself.

His career will be over within a year, fu*k it.
sound like a hater, this kid is slowly becoming a musical genius.. His sound is very different and so is his concepts, no1's doing what he's doing - and with him stating what he did for drake, i mean it's no suprise. You can hear him in most of drake's songs, gotta respect em. The kid is hella young, with a great sound and ideas and his visuals be weird as hell but interesting.. Shouts to the young boy
 4 years ago '11        #39
greedy87 2 heat pts
space
space
$11,951 | Props total: 2327 2327
Drake gave him the cosign that was payment enough
 4 years ago '11        #40
Kobane 163 heat pts163
space
space
$15,105 | Props total: 2320 2320
Abel the GOAT here to stay

when the downfall of Aubrey begins he shall call upon the Gawd for his revival in the form of a joint album titled, That OVO and that XO
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
78 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
87 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
202 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy