most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 4 years ago '11        #141
DesolateOne 32 heat pts32 OP
space
space
$3,780 | Props total: 66 66
When Large Professor teamed up with DJ brothers K-Cut and Sir Scratch to release the low selling, "Breaking Atoms" in 1991, I copped it on the strength of Large Professor's name alone. I remembered his name from Kool G. Rap & Polo's song, "Money in the Bank". I thought his verse was nice and hoped his album would be just as good. I was not disappointed.

His flow, lyrical ability backed by tight beats and production made me tell my friends how good this album was and to cop it. I also peeped a kid on there who I said to my friends, "If he ever comes out solo, he'll be the one to watch for, trust me." That kid turned out to be Nas.

Here it is now 2013 and this album still holds weight with me. It's solid all around. Just listen to "A Friendly Game of Baseball" and see where others, including Nas, got their blueprint for methaphors when discussing some topics (Nas: I gave you Power, etc.) Slap on their hit, "Looking at the Front Door" and notice how the topic is still relevant for today's time and how the P rides the beat so lovely. In fact, play it from beginning to end just one time.

I didn't need to play this more than one time to know how good it was. In fact, there's been very few albums I initially didn't like that grew on me (example, Ice Cube's The Predator) and I enjoyed a lot more over time. But for the most, my tastes is dead on.

So this argument hold no weight with me. You make a sub par album, drop boring verses or just lose your mojo, blame yourself. Hell, blame your weed carrier, but don't look at me.

4 years ago '04        #142
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,415 | Props total: 688 688
Hes wrong... It just changed it... For the better... Now everyone has the ability to follow a reviewer who they can relate to the most... Back in the day we had the source and XXL and that was it.. who says that those two reviewers have the same taste as me? Now I can find a reviewer with a similar ear to help me filter albums or put things into perspective...
 4 years ago '11        #143
panamaican 
space
space
space
$940 | Props total: 1311 1311
I think people are confusing opinions on modern album reviews with an opinion on Jay's album. Modern album reviews can be too rushed to be substantial. Jay-Z can say that while dropping a garbage album. It doesn't make the statement about album reviews any less true.

I agree with him about album reviews and I haven't listened to MCHG once. I'm pretty sure it's only so-so because he's only been so-so for a couple of years now. But I don't respect any album reivews anymore because 99% of them don't know how to really listen to music - they focus on beats and hooks and don't take the time to get into the lyrics. It's the lyrics that take a couple of listens, subtle word play that you miss the first time through stands out the 2nd and 3rd time. How a rapper rides the beat. Little sh*t like that.
 4 years ago '04        #144
Cali 
space
space
space
$296 | Props total: 12 12
There is a difference between brainwashing/accepting an album VS really learning what the artist put out there. I mean we are talking about an artist (Jay-Z) that puts alot of thought in his lines. Double or triple entendres. Not all rap artists have depth in their music. For some listeners it will take time for others to really understand and/or appreciate what a good artist has done.

I am totally against the OPs statement of having this album grow on us and accepting it.
Its not like teeny bopper music that is played over and over on the radio brain washing teens.
Hip hop has expanded its demographic in age range ... so listeners that heard Jay-z, Nas, Biggie, and Pac when they first came out are older (30+) and hopefully dont fall for bullsh*t.
 4 years ago '09        #145
MrPrez510 
space
space
$1,023 | Props total: 87 87
If you give an album multiple listens you can rate it in a day. It's very rare to be able to honestly rate a whole album after one listen. The ONLY times is if it's entirely trash or dope.

Jay should have said after one listen which is what I believe he meant.
 4 years ago '08        #146
Illuminati 194 heat pts194
space
space
$38,864 | Props total: 9188 9188
 Nautilus O said:
For trying to show you how to be a King about yours?
King? He should stop referring to his brothers as a n*gga.
 4 years ago '12        #147
diggins1272 
space
space
space
$558 | Props total: 2 2
 KeithHernandez said:
By the same token, albums used to bang when The Source handed down a five-mic review before it dropped. I remember not giving a fu*k about Aquemini until word came down that The Source called it classic.
But at the same that was when you really had to have a good album to get a 5 mic review in the source. Now guys want you to listen to an album to it grows on you when they are putting out weak product instead of going in the lab and making a good banging album
 4 years ago '05        #148
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,892 | Props total: 8414 8414
 diggins1272 said:
But at the same that was when you really had to have a good album to get a 5 mic review in the source. Now guys want you to listen to an album to it grows on you when they are putting out weak product instead of going in the lab and making a good banging album
well whats the last album that got 5 mics?
 4 years ago '12        #149
diggins1272 
space
space
space
$558 | Props total: 2 2
 StateProperty88 said:
well whats the last album that got 5 mics?
the last 5 mic albums

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy -- Kanye West ( dont agree with)

rill OG -- Bun B ( good album)
 4 years ago '05        #150
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
He's right...everybody's a critic. Muthafu*ka that aint never been thru one iota of nothing can tweet one word and that's their review...and people respect it.
 4 years ago '10        #151
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,183 | Props total: 8307 8307
 Illuminati said:
King? He should stop referring to his brothers as a n*gga.
The fu*k that got to do with teaching you about how to be self sufficient and make your own path? White people used that word to demean you, black people have taken it and use it however the fu*k they want to. Now its a word that we own and white people can even think it, ask Paula Dean.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
135 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
100 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
180 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Biggie Smalls was Official South Side Compton Crip
60 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
75 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
60 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
76 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside 15 Artists That Biggie Wanted To Work With (But Never Got The Chance)
42 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy