Jay-Z Says The Internet Killed The Album Review

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
141 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
72 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '05        #81
Angry_Black_757 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,664 | Props total: 0 0
what he said was correct. i remember back in the source magazine days before xxl even came out. they got the music before everyone and you anticipated getting the album based on the review. usually a month or two before the album came out. and you had to read it in an actual print magazine that you bought from the store, or at least read in the store.

since the internet came out, nobody reads magazines anymore. blogs are the new magazines. also, the blogs don't get the music before anyone. the internet gets the music .. which is where the consumer and the blogger are. the review happens right when the music ocmes out and its a race between all the bloggers and half a.ss n*ggas on twitter to get hte review done first. so not only do they not get the music early .... they also rush to put any type of review out. and alot of it has obvious bias towards certain artists.
 4 years ago '05        #82
Angry_Black_757 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,664 | Props total: 0 0
it used to be a big deal to get four mics in the source and if you got five mics that was like predicting it would be a classic. but nowadays? do people even talk about ratings / reviews at all anymore?
 4 years ago '07        #83
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,784 | Props total: 14592 14592
 HipHopFactz said:

Only matters what the masses think, general consensus> reviews
truth.
 4 years ago '06        #84
Prince Ace 35 heat pts35
space
space
$15,727 | Props total: 8906 8906
his album sucks, but he is right in saying that the internet is ruining the whole "review game"
 4 years ago '09        #85
bigscore 1632 heat pts1632
space
space
$12,828 | Props total: 17926 17926

[video - click to view]

07-11-2013, 03:25 PM         #86
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DSmith93 said:

no, he saying the credibility of reviews were different... you know back when the critics recieve the music first before everybody, and had a chance to let the album digest months in advance. that when people actually look forward to hearing the reviews and decide their hype for the album

but now its the instant gratification era, where the average joe can get the music before the guy from USA today get it, so everybody in a rush, and reviewing album a few hr after it come out

its quite logicial to see the point he's making, but since its hov everybody will find a way to trash him regardless of what was ACTUALLY said
For someone to come out and say that around the time of a album launch when his album has been getting bad reviews from people, and its just a pure coincidence? He isnt salty at all?

I highly doubt it, dude must have a huge ego with his success and the way he throws subliminals

Im not saying what he said was wrong, im stating why I think he came out with it in the first place, you know, the reasoning behind him wanting to let that all out
 4 years ago '10        #87
mixtapelive 271 heat pts271
space
space
space
$3,401 | Props total: 2477 2477
He's right though, you can't carefully listen and analyze an album in a day and then write a review off of 1 or 2 listens
 4 years ago '05        #88
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,881 | Props total: 8403 8403
 Sniggit said:
For someone to come out and say that around the time of a album launch when his album has been getting bad reviews from people, and its just a pure coincidence? He isnt salty at all?

I highly doubt it, dude must have a huge ego with his success and the way he throws subliminals

Im not saying what he said was wrong, im stating why I think he came out with it in the first place, you know, the reasoning behind him wanting to let that all out
pure coincidence? he was asked a damn question , did you listen to the interview? do you know the context of the words?

funny thing is though people on here been saying reviews arent sh*t for sometime now. but jay say it he's salty, when he is probably echoing something YOU agree with why reach homie?
 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM         #89
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StateProperty88 said:
pure coincidence? he was asked a damn question , did you listen to the interview? do you know the context of the words?

funny thing is though people on here been saying reviews arent sh*t for sometime now. but jay say it he's salty, when he is probably echoing something YOU agree with why reach homie?
Did you not catch the end of what i said? "Im not saying what he said was wrong"

No I didnt listen to the interview, i read what was put on the OP

And ive never said a review aint sh*t, id like to see you find anytime in my life let alone BX when ive said that

Again, my reasoning for stating what I did

"People are writing a review in a day. First of all, you canít listen to an album and rate it in a day. Itís just impossibleÖAnd when I see that Iím like ĎOh, so this is all just bullsh*t."

Sounds like hes salty at some of the first day reviews, otherwise why would he say it

After all if a trash album came out which the majority of people thought was trash, and on day one the reviews said it was trash and a month later they still thought it was trash, even a year later. Are you saying that the first day reviews are wrong since you cant rate it in a day? No. Thus my reasoning, i aint reaching for sh*t. To say someones opinion or rating of something is not valid, and is bullsh*t just because of a timeframe is illogical, NOT logical. These arnt facts we are dealing with these are opinions dude

So he obviously hasnt liked some of the responses from the first day reviews
 4 years ago '04        #90
AlSween 
space
space
$1,386 | Props total: 26 26
I think Jay started on the right point and then went a different direction. The point is that random bloggers instead of qualified music writers giving true reviews. Good example is Pitchfork giving "Yeezus" a 9.5 but "MCHG" a 5.8 hmm....
 4 years ago '04        #91
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,414 | Props total: 6441 6441
 AlSween said:
I think Jay started on the right point and then went a different direction. The point is that random bloggers instead of qualified music writers giving true reviews. Good example is Pitchfork giving "Yeezus" a 9.5 but "MCHG" a 5.8 hmm....
i wonder what qualifies people to be music critics like that on the bigger publications/sites
 4 years ago '09        #92
GREEDY BEATZ 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,383 | Props total: 1502 1502
you guys are really showing your diapers on this one. Hes 110% right. These internet reviews make cats feel like they are truly a professional critic - one of the cats on here rated a song 6/10 from his album - jesus christ - everybody I know in the streets has called it the summer anthem.

has anyone noticed how the xxl ratings have moved to the small a.ss section on the bottom of the page? because by the time it hits the net, the magazine isn't even out yet, and there's already 80 15 yr olds that have given their 'official' review of an album.

It seems like a fan and a critic have become one and the same. When I buy music, I can criticize it all I want, but I'm not going on the net to confuse people with a review that's ultimately coming from a fan.

Most internet "reviews" have some sort of emotion behind it - because fans become emotionally involved in rapper's music - real critics are supposed to unbiased. That's the difference.

So fu*k all that, he's 120% right, and you can tell that your stepdad who beats you for playing rap music.

Last edited by GREEDY BEATZ; 07-11-2013 at 04:12 PM..
 4 years ago '04        #93
AlSween 
space
space
$1,386 | Props total: 26 26
 justinjones said:
i wonder what qualifies people to be music critics like that on the bigger publications/sites
Probably nothing to do with music but usually a college degree in a form of writing. I'm just thinking about what Sports reporters have been saying about the difference between bloggers and the traditional writers.
 4 years ago '07        #94
240ka 49 heat pts49
space
space
$22,346 | Props total: 2061 2061
 Vos said:
It boggles my mind how people think this album is lyrically 'weak'. Sure, it's not Black Album or American Gangster Jay, but lyrically it's still very good.
Because it is
 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM         #95
Yung Chance 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jays right.

Hip hop user on here is mad
 4 years ago '09        #96
Dice 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,207 | Props total: 187 187
You can't listen to it and review it in a day. Not a final review anyways.

If you are seriously listening to an album with an open mind then you need a few play throughs with a fresh and unbiased mind.
 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM         #97
3rdcoasta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i agree. you cant possible listen to an album once and know what every verse is referring too, if he's being sarcastic or real...if there's a hidden meaning, double meaning behind it or if its concrete, etc...

I mean every time you listen to your favorite song you get something new from it until you''ve played it like 20 times...gimme a break. The market is saturated cause n*ggas are impatient now days...n*ggas dont take the time to read or listen now days! Lol

jay does not give a fu*k if an album grows on a critic when he goin platinum 11 albums deep!!!
 4 years ago '09        #98
GREEDY BEATZ 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,383 | Props total: 1502 1502
[QUOTE=DesolateOne;27756093]

Jay's logic is like listening to a high school drop out babbling on about his thoughts on foreign policy. WHITEY PLEASE! Am I alone in thinking this dunce is less smarter than previously thought every time he opens his mouth?

well dude did sell out the garden in a day, he's like a young marvin in his hey(day)
I think he may have went platinum certified in 48 hrs (changed the rules)
and lest we not forget, he's not a business man. He's a business, maaan
And all he had to say on that first commercial was, the album's coming out July 4th (announced about a WEEK before with no hints).

So to me, when this dude 'opens his mouth' it's like a fu*king cash register, not a high school drop out.

'I sold rocawear and told them dudes give me mine in cash'

What this dude has done to usher in new rules for the RIAA is unprecendented. Success is whatever, pretty much guaranteed. But this may be the CHANGE that the record industry needed to try to MAYBE even the playing field concerning declining sales -BRING IN THE SMART PHONES, SELL THE APPS -bypass the leakers as much as possible - The new FYI and Sam Goody for that AZZ!

I'm loving this business move...again unprecedented, and really only a handfull of 'rappers' could pull this sh*t off, if that.

Genius Marketing.

He has a right to criticize blog reviews from a dude how just got out of work at Target.

Be a fan. or Be a qualified critic. If you don't like a song, call your gay lover and complain.

Because the net is tired of reading this sh*t from young as cats who's Jay-Z's catalog starts with The Black Album.

Suck a d!ck and eat a d!ck bi*ch
 4 years ago '11        #99
Teknishen04 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,364 | Props total: 236 236
 WCIB said:
To be fair, what you have in quotes is what the OP typed out, not what Jay said...
Yes, I understand. But nevertheless, how many listens does it take for someone to come to a conclusion for an album? To be honest, I believe it only takes one. Why? Because THE ARTIST have almost decided for themselves the quality of the album rather than the people buy it. Its true...Kanye West thinks his album is dope, I think its sh*tty. But watch Kanye West sh*t on his fans for thinking otherwise. Jay's album is AIGHT. I expected more, my opinion, but I dont believe that I should get criticized by artists, or anyone for that matter, for believing otherwise. And Im a Jay fan.
 4 years ago '04        #100
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,905 | Props total: 2539 2539
he's comparing hip hop to rap. he's rapping back in the 90s it was hip hop. they dummied down society then decide to get mad when people skim through it looking for trends and tight beats..

Phuk outta here.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
23 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
49 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
82 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
98 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy