Why Jay-Z Keeps Referencing Jean-Michel Basquiat

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
33 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
210 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL New England Patriots (10-2) @ Miami Dolphins (5-7) Official Game Thread
150 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 4 years ago '05        #61
Redplayboy313 23 heat pts23
space
space
$2,966 | Props total: 7 7
If anything Jay-z is more like andy warhol the way he commercializes his art or Damien Hirst because his work has no substance.

Last edited by Redplayboy313; 07-10-2013 at 10:10 PM..
 4 years ago '05        #62
Redplayboy313 23 heat pts23
space
space
$2,966 | Props total: 7 7
 b_eazy said:

[pic - click to view]

Looks like drug high gibberish scribble.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Redplayboy313; 07-10-2013 at 10:11 PM..
 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM         #63
KiddKidd45 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
maybe i'll start doin heroin and paint sum sh*t...
 4 years ago '06        #64
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
 Pierced Talentz said:
Its simple J listens to Rob Bank$
"Rob Bank$ to the public, but to my zoes I'm Jean-Michel"
 07-10-2013, 11:41 PM         #65
Infamous B 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jayg36 said:
Jayz has very little in common with basquiat artistically. Basquiat was a junkie, jay was a playboy drugdealer.

Basquiat created art from the heart. Jay creates music to move the fans and generate revenue. "I'm not a rapper, I'm a hustler" shows the Jay doesn't even consider himself an artist as much as he considers himself a business man.

Basquiat was eaten up by the businessmen of the art world while Jay dines with them and leads the projects.

Basquiat was driven to depression and eventual suicide thru drug o.d. due to the pressures the business side of the art world placed on him. While Jay has destroyed many artist and fellow business men and forced them into a Basquiat like downfall ie: state property, dame dash, etc.

Basquiat was a true artist and only that. Jay wants to be considered that but is not. He is a business man and a damn good one....who only works for money. But I guess that isn't enough for him so he has to pretend he's a man of substance. He isn't tho.
nice
 4 years ago '04        #66
focused313 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,103 | Props total: 1339 1339
 DanBootleg said:
Maybe you should. If you read my post you'd see my problem isn't reading comprehension it's a time constraint.
by the time you skimmed through that....then responded to 6 of these people.....you could have just read the article. It's about a 5-10 minute read max...if that.
 4 years ago '05        #67
Jazzy Soul 27 heat pts27 OP
space
space
$14,162 | Props total: 10 10
Well, the beginnings of both men's careers were similar. And no one knows what Basquiat would have been because he died so young. That's why the parallels are being explored in the article. Because if Basquiat hadn't died, perhaps he would have commercialized his street art, and diversified just like Jay Z did.
 4 years ago '05        #68
Nickel 118 heat pts118
space
space
$11,231 | Props total: 179 179
 dtho43 said:
It's to fool his idiot fans into thinking he has a genuine appreciate for high art, when in reality he doesn't. He does this to appear smarter than he really is. Only his dumbest fans fall for this old trick. (nas uses it as well)

"oh wow jayz mentioned that one artist, he must be so cultured!"
 ChokeHold said:
unfortunately this is the truth and everyone eats it up with a shovel size spoon.
so I take it ya'll know for a fact that he has no appreciation for high art
 4 years ago '04        #69
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
 Jayg36 said:
Jayz has very little in common with basquiat artistically. Basquiat was a junkie, jay was a playboy drugdealer.

Basquiat created art from the heart. Jay creates music to move the fans and generate revenue. "I'm not a rapper, I'm a hustler" shows the Jay doesn't even consider himself an artist as much as he considers himself a business man.

Basquiat was eaten up by the businessmen of the art world while Jay dines with them and leads the projects.

Basquiat was driven to depression and eventual suicide thru drug o.d. due to the pressures the business side of the art world placed on him. While Jay has destroyed many artist and fellow business men and forced them into a Basquiat like downfall ie: state property, dame dash, etc.

Basquiat was a true artist and only that. Jay wants to be considered that but is not. He is a business man and a damn good one....who only works for money. But I guess that isn't enough for him so he has to pretend he's a man of substance. He isn't tho.
F-CK! What a smart and accurate post. Well put even though it pains me to admit it.

Never been a fan of Basquiat's work though. I always respected his willingness to experiment with different compositions and medias and his "pain whatever the f-ck I feel" attitude, but his work never really spoke to me for the most part. He has a couple of pieces that I really love, that's why I don't take his talents for granted even though I'm not a fan.

Although both of them are on completely different artists levels, the article is real dope and I totally see the similarities, life/career wise.
 4 years ago '04        #70
Kingbee1979 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,459 | Props total: 73 73
Isn't Basquiat an old boyfriend of Madonnas she left him cuz he wouldn't leave the heroine alone
 4 years ago '13        #71
3nl1ght3ned 10 heat pts10
space
space
$11,934 | Props total: 2362 2362
 Nickel said:
so I take it ya'll know for a fact that he has no appreciation for high art
*Peeps avatar*

*then peeps text under avatar*

n*gga move around d!ck rider
 4 years ago '13        #72
mikejuheard 43 heat pts43
space
space
$24,244 | Props total: 24222 24222
All my haitians standupppppppppppppppppppp
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
82 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
62 comments
21 hours ago