Why Jay-Z Keeps Referencing Jean-Michel Basquiat

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
89 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
41 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
87 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTensionCord Got Sent To Prison Cause He Post Court Info On IG & His..
34 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '10        #41
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,735 | Props total: 19636 19636
 Cuban Linx... said:
Jay has been reference basquiat for Years. He is a lover and huge art collector even in the grammy family freestyle.
As well as Andy Warhol. I thought yall knew
Read the article?
 4 years ago '08        #42
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,582 | Props total: 17257 17257
Camel warriors only read this because of camel

Had this been about Madonna they would be out with

"didnt read lol"
 4 years ago '04        #43
CA$H MONEY 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,923 | Props total: 3 3
 dtho43 said:
It's to fool his idiot fans into thinking he has a genuine appreciate for high art, when in reality he doesn't. He does this to appear smarter than he really is. Only his dumbest fans fall for this old trick. (nas uses it as well)

"oh wow jayz mentioned that one artist, he must be so cultured!"
This.........
 4 years ago '11        #44
GrindPOWER$ 391 heat pts391
space
space
$19,296 | Props total: 12684 12684
great interview...new your just make music and stop worrying its a regional thing remember y'all and west coast had it from the late 80's to the early 2000's...i wonder if he rock that chain to cause some controversy...if Wayne had sign Jay-Z it would have being some problems and Baby's wouldn't have meal ticket and No Drake No Nicki...you see when Jay-Z talk he keep is answers to the point other artist all over the place sometimes.
 4 years ago '13        #45
PursuitProgress 
space
space
$1,374 | Props total: 121 121
PROPS! OP, I never thought about the parallels mentioned in the article. I just assumed Jay was trying to boost the worth of his investments in Basquiat's work!
 4 years ago '05        #46
ChokeHold 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,971 | Props total: 23 23
 dtho43 said:
It's to fool his idiot fans into thinking he has a genuine appreciate for high art, when in reality he doesn't. He does this to appear smarter than he really is. Only his dumbest fans fall for this old trick. (nas uses it as well)

unfortunately this is the truth and everyone eats it up with a shovel size spoon.
 4 years ago '04        #47
D1nOnlyMrM@ 43 heat pts43
space
space
$12,461 | Props total: 1455 1455
the album is a piece of art to me.
 4 years ago '04        #48
bw5011 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,601 | Props total: 373 373
 dtho43 said:

even though I see what you are saying and agree with you except for with Nas.. he being doing that forever so he is learning and sharing.

People get exposed to thing through life experiences. When you get money you are exposed to things that poor or middle class people will hardly ever experience. Even rich people have a hard time understanding this.... because im talking about wealthy people, not rich.. So Jay being wealthy is relaying his experience and things he knows now. That is why most people don't like his music now... he cant reach back because that feeling is gone, he remembers but that hunger is not there. you can still tell he has new money though, meaning first generational.
 4 years ago '04        #49
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
 DanBootleg said:
I'm currently handling too many things at one time, and I usually have a short memory for these sort of things. I appreciate the cliff notes though.
yet you have time to come into this thread and post 5-6 times explaining why you need cliff notes?
 4 years ago '10        #50
SoFresh170 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,317 | Props total: 1965 1965
Didn't know Jay went to deep with his lyrics. I need to really listen to his sh*t. I just be bumping cause its Jay and it sounds nice.
 4 years ago '06        #51
Da Realness 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,417 | Props total: 4 4
 SoFresh170 said:
Didn't know Jay went to deep with his lyrics. I need to really listen to his sh*t. I just be bumping cause its Jay and it sounds nice.

... jay is deeper than a lot of people think. he reallys makes music you can LISTEN to but can bump at the same time.
 4 years ago '13        #52
BC is that Guy 
space
space
space
$3,108 | Props total: 110 110
Jay-Z's career is absolutely nothing like Basquiat's. He's just using the name to make himself look cool to ignorant people just like every other rapper ever "Big Meech" "Future Hendrix" "Frank White" "Escobar" etc... A 40+ year old man comparing himself to Basquiat?????? that's an insult

THERE IS ONLY ONE RAPPER THAT CAN EVER COMPARED TO BASQUIAT IN TERMS OF CAREER ARC, ARTISTIC IMPACT AND CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE

Last edited by BC is that Guy; 07-10-2013 at 06:32 PM..
 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM         #53
KiddKidd45 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BC is that Guy said:

Its an insult to Basquiat to try and put Jay-Z into his category.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RAPPER THAT CAN EVER COMPARED TO BASQUIAT IN TERMS OF CAREER ARC, ARTISTIC IMPACT AND CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE
u buggin...2pac's artistic impact and cultural significance greatly surpasses basquiat's. u just disrespecting Pac now
 4 years ago '12        #54
GoldRush 63 heat pts63
space
space
$2,347 | Props total: 538 538
interesting
 4 years ago '13        #55
BC is that Guy 
space
space
space
$3,108 | Props total: 110 110
 KiddKidd45 said:
u buggin...2pac's artistic impact and cultural significance greatly surpasses basquiat's. u just disrespecting Pac now

That's actually a great point.... they do have very similar legacies in the way they are remembered in their respective worlds; however, Tupac was on a much more mainstream global platform than Basquiat..... He was the most famous painter of his time (besides Warhol), but musicians and actors had long surpassed painters as the most influential pop culture icons by the late 20th century

Either way tho, artistically, Pac is way more similar to Basquiat than Jay-Z is

Last edited by BC is that Guy; 07-10-2013 at 06:47 PM..
 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM         #56
KiddKidd45 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BC is that Guy said:
That's actually a great point.... they do have very similar legacies in the way they are remembered in their respective worlds; however, Tupac was on a much more mainstream global platform than Basquiat..... He was the most famous painter of his time (besides Warhol), but musicians and actors had long surpassed painters as the most influential pop culture icons by the late 20th century

Either way tho, artistically, Pac is way more similar to Basquiat than Jay-Z is
ok i can agree with that
 4 years ago '05        #57
b_eazy 62 heat pts62
space
space
$17,716 | Props total: 2360 2360

[pic - click to view]

Looks like drug high gibberish scribble.
 4 years ago '06        #58
buddah bless 
space
space
space
$616 | Props total: 249 249
 The Originator said:
I aint know he was a zoe. Thats whassup.

And what group is ya cousin in? I prolly know the group. Fellow Zoe here
Skah Shah and another in Tabou Combo.....There are others in different groups but they are like 4---5 cousins plus some
 07-10-2013, 08:41 PM         #59
3rdcoasta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dtho43 said:

4 years ago '10        #60
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,182 | Props total: 8270 8270
I just wanna wear this new Tuxedo I brought to an Art show and fu*k an asian bi*ch in the bathroom while they play "Oceans" in the background
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
88 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
124 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
51 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
172 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy