Black Friend Who Speaks "White" At Work! (Deon Cole Comedy Skit)

most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
32 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
23 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '07        #41
MissStush88 1 heat pts
space
space
$903 | Props total: 4 4
Code switching is what we call it in the classroom. There's home language and school language. not black in white. sometimes I slip up with my kids I get back on track. I don't tell them how they're speaking is wrong ( cuz I damn sure slip up) but there's a time and place for everything is the best way to put it. I don't wanna take away from them. Recess and playtime talk however you want, during lessons, school language only.
 4 years ago '08        #42
iPunish901 12 heat pts12
space
space
$13,358 | Props total: 272 272
extra guilty of this
 4 years ago '11        #43
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4260 4260
 MissStush88 said:
Code switching is what we call it in the classroom. There's home language and school language. not black in white. sometimes I slip up with my kids I get back on track. I don't tell them how they're speaking is wrong ( cuz I damn sure slip up) but there's a time and place for everything is the best way to put it. I don't wanna take away from them. Recess and playtime talk however you want, during lessons, school language only.
You're simply talking about politeness though. This skit is hinting at letting go of your entire culture to blend in with your coworkers. You notice how he was talking about Menace 2 Society with the Black coworker and was switching it up when with others.
 4 years ago '06        #44
Da Realness 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,417 | Props total: 4 4
I understand if you are in a professional setting. You gotta speak with proper grammar/diction. Accents or HOW you sound shouldn't matter.
It just k!lls me when I see n*ggas who really do try to speak "white" though. And when I mean speak "white", I mean switching up the whole tone of your voice, trying to sound like a white man lol Thats speaking "white" to me.
 4 years ago '07        #45
MissStush88 1 heat pts
space
space
$903 | Props total: 4 4
 Deuterion said:
You're simply talking about politeness though. This skit is hinting at letting go of your entire culture to blend in with your coworkers. You notice how he was talking about Menace 2 Society with the Black coworker and was switching it up when with others.
No Im simply not. The skit is just a euphemism, if you will, for the hegemonic forces that be. AAVE is deemed inappropriate for everyday work setting therefore we have to switch it up. Nothing to do with politeness.
 4 years ago '04        #46
Rap Prodigy 
space
space
$334 | Props total: 28 28
Damn completely guilty. Not as corny as this dude, but I switch it up so much. I work in close quarters with 5 summer a.ssociates at my law firm. 2 of us our black. We fu*k up all the time around the other white summer a.ssociates. They kinda look at us for a second then we have to switch back. Really hits home for me.
 07-07-2013, 10:56 PM         #47
youdug 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
apparently speaking "white" means you dont pluralize singular words (ex: im wit my moms), singularize plural words (ex: im bout to eat dese grape), shorten/combine words (ex: yamean?), and use words that have no relevance to what youre using it for. (example: ratchet)

4 years ago '04        #48
Rap Prodigy 
space
space
$334 | Props total: 28 28
 youduglas said:
apparently speaking "white" means you dont pluralize singular words (ex: im wit my moms), singularize plural words (ex: im bout to eat dese grape), shorten/combine words (ex: yamean?), and use words that have no relevance to what youre using it for. (example: ratchet)

I know what your trying to say, but its not exactly that. I know a lot of black professionals and they all talk differently when they are around white and black people. I've been to several parties whatever you want to call it with only black professionals ranging in age from 30-50. They all use correct English, but the cadence is different, then it would be when they were at work. Also, they will use words such as brother, and the tone of their voice will be different. Talking black doesn't necessarily mean talking ignorantly. Just differently.
 4 years ago '04        #49
Demac 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,365 | Props total: 3 3
Freaking hilarious skit, and I'm guilty as well. Doing it honestly gives me a headache after a while. Black people speak in a more relaxed fashion, and like to get straight to the point. White people seem to use superfluous words just to make themselves feel smart. This is just what i have observed while working at my corporate job.
 4 years ago '11        #50
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 Rap Prodigy said:
I know what your trying to say, but its not exactly that. I know a lot of black professionals and they all talk differently when they are around white and black people. I've been to several parties whatever you want to call it with only black professionals ranging in age from 30-50. They all use correct English, but the cadence is different, then it would be when they were at work. Also, they will use words such as brother, and the tone of their voice will be different. Talking black doesn't necessarily mean talking ignorantly. Just differently.
Thank you!

People have it confused because they haven't really analyzed the situation. We (Black People) have our own set of gestures, tones, and cadences we use when we speak which are not accepted in corporate America. You could be speaking proper English but the mere tone and gestures in unison can be off-putting to some in certain situations. For instance, some of the dialog in the skit was derogatory but other parts like the response to "What time you get off of work?" weren't ignorant or stupid...it was just spoken differently.

Demac said:
Freaking hilarious skit, and I'm guilty as well. Doing it honestly gives me a headache after a while. Black people speak in a more relaxed fashion, and like to get straight to the point. White people seem to use superfluous words just to make themselves feel smart. This is just what i have observed while working at my corporate job.
Very true! I'm Trinidadian and Puerto Rican but BLACK and born in America and we speak both English and Spanish the same relaxed way. I think it has something to do with our African origins because we speak English super relaxed and fluid and do the same for Spanish. If you compare English or Spanish from Europe and then compare it to how African descendants speak them...9 times out of 10 the African descendant is going to speak it much more fluid than the European.

In English you can say "I'm going to the store would you like something?" or "I'mma hit the store, you want somethin'?"...the second sentence is a lot easier to say, you can say it faster, and it rolls off the tongue more fluidly. Same in Spanish...to make it more fluid we remove letters to make it flow...for instance, I won't say cerrado...I would say cerrao. I may be way off or attributing our culture to something that isn't cultural at all...all I know is it's something I've been noticing over the years.

Last edited by Deuterion; 07-08-2013 at 12:02 AM..
 4 years ago '08        #51
T2THEONE 859 heat pts859 OP
space
space
$6,450 | Props total: 1678 1678
 Deuterion said:
Thank you!

People have it confused because they haven't really analyzed the situation. We (Black People) have our own set of gestures, tones, and cadences we use when we speak which are not accepted in corporate America. You could be speaking proper English but the mere tone and gestures in unison can be off-putting to some in certain situations. For instance, some of the dialog in the skit was derogatory but other parts like the response to "What time you get off of work?" weren't ignorant or stupid...it was just spoken differently.

Very true! I'm Trinidadian and Puerto Rican but BLACK and born in America and we speak both English and Spanish the same relaxed way. I think it has something to do with our African origins because we speak English super relaxed and fluid and do the same for Spanish. If you compare English or Spanish from Europe and then compare it to how African descendants speak them...9 times out of 10 the African descendant is going to speak it much more fluid than the European.

In English you can say "I'm going to the store would you like something?" or "I'mma hit the store, you want somethin'?"...the second sentence is a lot easier to say, you can say it faster, and it rolls off the tongue more fluidly. Same in Spanish...to make it more fluid we remove letters to make it flow...for instance, I won't say cerrado...I would say cerrao. I may be way off or attributing our culture to something that isn't cultural at all...all I know is it's something I've been noticing over the years.

Good point
 4 years ago '04        #52
killababi 31 heat pts31
space
space
$16,551 | Props total: 2656 2656
when i work with and around white people, i say and do certain things i know they understand and relate to, as opposed to when im working around and with black people. Its not necessarily the way i talk, but what i talk about. Like in this video, I talk about movies like Menace II Society and Baby Boy (maybe even just quotes without saying where it came from), and know they understand. Sometimes i work with a Black & White coworker at the same time, and i know when im talking to either, somethings may be going over the other's head. Usually im the only one that realizes it. I HARDLY ever run into older white dudes who know anything that relates close to black people. The closest they get is like the Beastie Boys or Ice T, maybe NWA. I watch, listen and take interest in everything naturally, so I usually play the bridge when im in a work environment. Im black too btw.
 4 years ago '04        #53
killababi 31 heat pts31
space
space
$16,551 | Props total: 2656 2656
 T2THEONE said:

im glad its sketch comedy and not that Tosh.o stuff
 4 years ago '11        #54
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 killababi said:
when i work with and around white people, i say and do certain things i know they understand and relate to, as opposed to when im working around and with black people. Its not necessarily the way i talk, but what i talk about. Like in this video, I talk about movies like Menace II Society and Baby Boy (maybe even just quotes without saying where it came from), and know they understand. Sometimes i work with a Black & White coworker at the same time, and i know when im talking to either, somethings may be going over the other's head. Usually im the only one that realizes it. I HARDLY ever run into older white dudes who know anything that relates close to black people. The closest they get is like the Beastie Boys or Ice T, maybe NWA. I watch, listen and take interest in everything naturally, so I usually play the bridge when im in a work environment. Im black too btw.
Exactly. It's a cultural thing...just like we wouldn't expect a White dude to walk up to us and ask us about the last episode of friends or seinfeld. I've had it happen to me a few times and I give them all three of these faces:

4 years ago '05        #55
DipsetSoulja 6 heat pts
space
space
$5,181 | Props total: 3094 3094
fu*kING Guilty of this. Glad to see I'm not alone.
 4 years ago '06        #56
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,362 | Props total: 4635 4635
I embrace being able to talk to my friends in "black speech". It makes me feel at home. There's some situations that just beg for a "n*gga please" but I can't always use that.

Both professional and casual speech are natural for me. But, since I'm from the islands I speak Spanish like a n*gga...and it's too strong in me so it's difficult to change. But since my Spanish speaking clients are low income usually they let it slide??
 4 years ago '04        #57
ddash 1 heat pts
space
space
$22,968 | Props total: 3459 3459
This is funny as fu*k lol.

Whats funny is w**** people try to act urban/black around black people also but not as much as this.

I was playing xbox live with my white friend and then we went to an all black group and he was quiet as hell.Then out of nowhere you heard bone thugs and harmony buddah lovaz playing from his mic.

I started dying and just saying smh lol because he dont even listen to rap music like that lol.

Dont forget Mitt romney around the black people as well lol.

[video - click to view]

4 years ago '11        #58
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
 DominicanLou said:
I embrace being able to talk to my friends in "black speech". It makes me feel at home. There's some situations that just beg for a "n*gga please" but I can't always use that.

Both professional and casual speech are natural for me. But, since I'm from the islands I speak Spanish like a n*gga...and it's too strong in me so it's difficult to change. But since my Spanish speaking clients are low income usually they let it slide??
My nig you be at the office talking about "que lo que pa?" and folks looking at you like:

"We can't take this n*gga nowhere!"

Btw...eres dominicano?
 4 years ago '13        #59
theon3 6 heat pts
space
space
$2,779 | Props total: 508 508
in real life theyd fire dat n*gga on the spot
 4 years ago '04        #60
Adwerdz 319 heat pts319
space
space