PS4 and Xbox One GPU Compared, Startling Difference Between The Two

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM         #81
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestykagiso said:
All development has bottlenecks. I started in software development, for software to lack ANY bottle neck it would mean all code, all hardware, all programmers are standardized, and in software development, you use so many fragmented objects and face so many objectives you have to meet that what is good for the gander is usually not good for the goose (in simpler terms, what would work for a game like Gran Turismo, won't be the same for a game like k!llzone or Little Big Planet). That is the reality of the world and just because it's easier to develop for, and port, doesn't mean core programming and optimizing still can't be done.

Again no one, not even, said the PS4 GPU isn't strong, utilization of that power is key, just like you can say a 680 is better than a 670, now how many game titles you own use the 680 optimally? I'll wait!

Xbox One will also face the same basic issues, especially with Direct X as an API, whoever said "Both have very little bottlenecks", yes that could be true in relation to current gen, but guess what? bottlenecks will forever exist in software development because of the huge choices you have, be it core hardware, accessories, API and languages used, what you intend your game to do eventually etc...
My point is not that the 680 is used optimally, I already stated that when it comes to PCs, higher end GPUs are not used optimally but still see significant performances in graphics.

I do not know what you are arguing at this point because you seem to be agreeing with me on that.

Of course both systems will still have some sort of real life bottlenecks, PCs have tons of them. My point was that it is not very significant compared to programming for Cell for instance.

My point was that even if games aren't significantly optimized for the PS4, they will still be able to take advantage of the improved GPU. Much like how someone with a 680 can still take advantage of the power compared to my 670. That could end up meaning a few more fps or higher detail or more AA, but it is still an advantage.

The huge benefits will come from optimization, but even with just porting over, you will still see some benefits. Again launch titles will see the least amount of benefits, but those benefits will show fairly quickly. Devs have been working with the architecture that the consoles use for a while now. They have a huge advantage this gen.

You seem to underestimate the devs capabilities. It is not going to be difficult to optimize for the Xbox One or PS4. So I expect both of the systems to be using a good portion of their potential.

Last edited by xeduran; 07-07-2013 at 09:10 AM..
 4 years ago '12        #82
majestykagiso 51 heat pts51
space
space
$2,831 | Props total: 511 511
 xeduran said:
My point is not that the 680 is used optimally, I already stated that when it comes to PCs, higher end GPUs are not used optimally but still see significant performances in graphics.

I do not know what you are arguing at this point because you seem to be agreeing with me on that.

Of course both systems will still have some sort of real life bottlenecks, PCs have tons of them. My point was that it is not very significant compared to programming for Cell for instance.

My point was that even if games aren't significantly optimized for the PS4, they will still be able to take advantage of the improved GPU. Much like how someone with a 680 can still take advantage of the power compared to my 670. That could end up meaning a few more fps or higher detail or more AA, but it is still an advantage.

The huge benefits will come from optimization, but even with just porting over, you will still see some benefits. Again launch titles will see the least amount of benefits, but those benefits will show fairly quickly. Devs have been working with the architecture that the consoles use for a while now. They have a huge advantage this gen.

You seem to underestimate the devs capabilities. It is not going to be difficult to optimize for the Xbox One or PS4. So I expect both of the systems to be using a good portion of their potential.
A very fractional advantage that won't honestly be to the extent this thread is "proving". We all agree, be it from a MS or Sony POV, that on paper the PS4 is stronger. That is why so many people r making references to previous consoles which dispelled stronger = flawless argument.

The PS4, depending on how devs utilize the hardware, will be key. Just like MS are hinging on cloud based offloading to get the native hardware to process something else while cloud servers are busy with something as trivial as fans in a stadium in sports games or tree physics in a Grand Theft Auto type game, which all require processing. The belief that because the PS4 has more power = Xbox One will be outdated in a year is the point I'm trying to argue against because services like Gaikai use video streaming cloud based gaming tech (i.e. an entire game rests in a sort of virtual console and streamed to a user), while MS is aiming for file streaming based cloud gaming (which streams only a certain part or object required by the game) and works off that server without the hardware needing to process that natively. It can already happen (not on this scale MS is punting BTW) so anyone can Google that and check cloud gaming and services that use different forms of cloud gaming.

Again, we agree on the PS4 having the power natively, anyone arguing against that would be in idiot, but it won't be as black and white as having 8GB GDDR5 vs 8GB DDR3 = better games overrall when there are so many aspects that will set games apart by a developer by developer basis!
 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM         #83
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestykagiso said:
A very fractional advantage that won't honestly be to the extent this thread is "proving". We all agree, be it from a MS or Sony POV, that on paper the PS4 is stronger. That is why so many people r making references to previous consoles which dispelled stronger = flawless argument.

The PS4, depending on how devs utilize the hardware, will be key. Just like MS are hinging on cloud based offloading to get the native hardware to process something else while cloud servers are busy with something as trivial as fans in a stadium in sports games or tree physics in a Grand Theft Auto type game, which all require processing. The belief that because the PS4 has more power = Xbox One will be outdated in a year is the point I'm trying to argue against because services like Gaikai use video streaming cloud based gaming tech (i.e. an entire game rests in a sort of virtual console and streamed to a user), while MS is aiming for file streaming based cloud gaming (which streams only a certain part or object required by the game) and works off that server without the hardware needing to process that natively. It can already happen (not on this scale MS is punting BTW) so anyone can Google that and check cloud gaming and services that use different forms of cloud gaming.

Again, we agree on the PS4 having the power natively, anyone arguing against that would be in idiot, but it won't be as black and white as having 8GB GDDR5 vs 8GB DDR3 = better games overrall when there are so many aspects that will set games apart by a developer by developer basis!
I completely agree that the 40% or whatever number it is will not translate directly. I am not saying the PS4 will have 40% better graphics, even from first party devs. Some people on here think though that the performance difference means nothing. I do not agree with that at all.

It will make a difference moving forward and devs will take advantage of it if their game can use it. This may translate to increased AA initially or maybe a little more detail. Maybe even 30fps vs 60fps. The end user may not care much for the differences.

I do expect these devs to take advantage of the hardware though. They have no excuse. This is familiar territory for them this gen. If they still do not optimize, they are being lazy.

Previous consoles all had learning curves. This gen that curve should be very small. I expect good use out of both systems. I am already disappointed though that cloud computing seems to be getting used early on. It seems to me that the eight cores of the CPU is not being optimized early on. This is a necessity for the weak CPUs both consoles have.

My main point though is that previous consoles had other variables that this gen does not. Last gen the overall stronger system was very difficult to program for and had significant bottlenecks that had to be overcome. This gen the two systems are extremely similar which should make it a lot easier for devs.

Last edited by xeduran; 07-07-2013 at 09:51 AM..
 4 years ago '12        #84
space
space
Ayo this damn forum needs more sensible people around, how can I spread rep when 80% argue crap

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xeduran again.

That's how we should be discussing gaming in here. Well played xeduran well played! The performance diffs will be seen most diff, in diff ways, like we saw mid current gen lifetime, key is how the final stretch will be like for both systems. People must just buy their console of choice based on appeal and not cos of some marketing jab, or let alone dissuade others on their choices. These consoles power will be down to developers mostly, and if they can't make the most of each console's strength, like you said, they just being lazy and rushing games out (which we kind of saw with some games current gen)
 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM         #85
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestykagiso said:
Ayo this damn forum needs more sensible people around, how can I spread rep when 80% argue crap

That's how we should be discussing gaming in here. Well played xeduran well played! The performance diffs will be seen most diff, in diff ways, like we saw mid current gen lifetime, key is how the final stretch will be like for both systems. People must just buy their console of choice based on appeal and not cos of some marketing jab, or let alone dissuade others on their choices. These consoles power will be down to developers mostly, and if they can't make the most of each console's strength, like you said, they just being lazy and rushing games out (which we kind of saw with some games current gen)
I always enjoy a good sensible argument and not just fanboy crap. Both systems are going to have great games and good graphics. I still will prefer my PC to both, but the consoles will hold their own. I just hope the quality of the games stay up and development costs go down.

Hopefully the route MS and Sony went will help devs make games for less and improve the economy of the gaming industry.
 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM         #86
b0p 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
another 150 my ps4 and BF4 is payed off
 4 years ago '05        #87
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,732 | Props total: 2223 2223
 tj.iscool said:
PS3 was the so called stronger console & look what happened
now its the same thing all over again
Yea but one thing you forget. Reason why Xbox 360 had the clear advantage this gen was because of the devs. It was easier to make or port games for 360 than it was for PS3 due to the hardware. PS3 is a beast but its power meant nothing because devs had a hard time programming software for it. Thats why multiplats were smoother on 360. Sony learned their mistake and switched to PC based architecture. It will be a different ball game this time, devs are already praising PS4 because they know they will be able to make fire a.ss games for it with ease. From what i seen so far, in about a years time the PS4 will be better than xbox one when it comes to the gaming. For the xbox one, kinect, cloud and all the little gimmick features is whats gonna keep it going next gen and M$ going to have to invest a lot of money this time like they did with the og xbox when ps2 was whupping its a.ss with the games.
 4 years ago '06        #88
ChevyBrah 216 heat pts216
space
space
space
$15,407 | Props total: 961 961
 Daddy Black said:
Yea but one thing you forget. Reason why Xbox 360 had the clear advantage this gen was because of the devs. It was easier to make or port games for 360 than it was for PS3 due to the hardware. PS3 is a beast but its power meant nothing because devs had a hard time programming software for it. Thats why multiplats were smoother on 360. Sony learned their mistake and switched to PC based architecture. It will be a different ball game this time, devs are already praising PS4 because they know they will be able to make fire a.ss games for it with ease. From what i seen so far, in about a years time the PS4 will be better than xbox one when it comes to the gaming. For the xbox one, kinect, cloud and all the little gimmick features is whats gonna keep it going next gen and M$ going to have to invest a lot of money this time like they did with the og xbox when ps2 was whupping its a.ss with the games.
mannnnn those lil gimmiks is the same sh*t ps4 has.... whats your fu*king point? they both do the same sh*t....ps4 wants you to buy a vita for remote play on some wii u type sh*t ...they canned the camera thats suppose to go with that huge a.ss controller they have....ps has a lot to prove ....all this oh the devs think this and that dont mean nothing when nobody has played a game for either console.... both consoles will be fine in the end

the ps4 hyped came from the last 15 mins of the presser before the used game talk and share game sh*t that sh*t was a snooze fest

a week later xbox came out and said you can use the system just like you always been so i dont see the beef
 4 years ago '12        #89
Theboybreblue 48 heat pts48
space
space
$3,390 | Props total: 3449 3449
 tj.iscool said:
More like....

PS4 = Vegeta always talkin shiit then under performs
XOne = Goku
WiiU = Chaozu
More like

Ps4 = Frieza
XOne = Goku
Wii U = Little Gohan

I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain this scene.

Last edited by Theboybreblue; 07-07-2013 at 03:38 PM..
 4 years ago '12        #90
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,988 | Props total: 1259 1259
 Burg Boy said:
Heres what i found:

CPU

PS3 - 7 cores x 3.2 Ghz
XBOX 360 - 3 cores x 3.2 Ghz

GPU

PS3 - 550 Mhz, 1.8 TFLOPS, 512 mb total memory, 42 piplines
XBOX 360 - 500 Mhz, 1 TFLOPS, 512 total memory, 26 piplines

VIDEO/AUDIO

PS3 - 1080p, 7.1 uncoded sound
XBOX 360 - 1080p(upscale not native), 7.1 coded

DISC FORMAT

PS3 - Bluray, 50 gb, possible 200 gb storage on one disc
XBOX 360 - HD DVD, 30 gb, 60 gb possible on one disc

HARD DRIVE

PS3 - up to 1 terabyte
XBOX 360 - up to 120 gb
And their souls burn
 4 years ago '06        #91
Gangstab329 16 heat pts16
space
space
$851 | Props total: 14 14
so if xbox is cell and cell absorbs people for more power THE CLOUD
 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM         #92
Cya Nerd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestykagiso said:
Lol why can I not compare the history of consoles for consoles? Because now consoles have started adopting PC CPU's and ditched propriety hardware?

PC's are fragmented as I pointed out, EVERYONE knows this. As it stands in 2013, the PS4 and Xbox One are mid range PC's, and even mid range PC games don't fully utilize the hardware (e.g. Crysis 3 and BF4 being the only 2 games I know that use more than 4 cores), and the GPU power comes into play! What PC's could do with that hardware up till today is just upscale graphically, but game developers are still the common factor (i.e. development that doesn't make use of hardware optimally will still exist)

A high end Nvidia Geforce GTX690 4GB costs around $1 200 in my market, now show me which games have developed games that are able to use an 8 core i7 and that video card right now?

The time will come in future where the differences will come into play, how long did the PS3's 1st party devs to optimize for their own hardware?

Resistance (PS3 Launch Title in 2006)

[pic - click to view]

Killzone 2 (2009)

[pic - click to view]

Last of Us (Latest PS3 Title in 2013)

[pic - click to view]

While PC

Crysis 3 (PC Title on Max Settings i.e. using all 8 cores like PS4 and Xbox One hardware specs)

[pic - click to view]

Battlefield 3 (PC Title on Max Settings)

[pic - click to view]

From the screens above I have shown you how long it has taken for the PS3 to even optimize their system with 1st parties, while people in here arguing "well it's easier to develop for the PS4", yes it is, and all the diffs we will see, but not to the extent everyone expects. Even Crysis 3 and BF3 on max settings on PC still look different, why? Development is diff for each team and how they use it is key!
No one is going to call out this phaggot for using a black ops screen shot and calling it battlefield 3 max settings

fu*k outta here
 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM         #93
Cya Nerd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dude never played a pc game in his life and just googled max settings has no idea what battlefield 3 is

Oh lordddddddddddddddddddd
 4 years ago '11        #94
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
Dude just trolled the hell outta you.
 4 years ago '05        #95
Chuck_Remixed 255 heat pts255
space
space
$17,126 | Props total: 3649 3649
 majestykagiso said:

Battlefield 3 (PC Title on Max Settings)

[pic - click to view]

XD
 4 years ago '12        #96
space
space
 Cya Nerd said:
Dude never played a pc game in his life and just googled max settings has no idea what battlefield 3 is

My bad on that screen, FPS' look the damn same to me, but still doesn't stop the fact that.

[pic - click to view]

Now have an ice cream and gold star for knowing ur COD from your BF3

EDIT: and BF and COD are the only games on PC right? ROFL

Not like ANYONE on PC plays ANYTHING ELSE but FPS games *wow*

Last edited by majestykagiso; 07-08-2013 at 11:30 AM..
 4 years ago '12        #97
Cubs Draco 141 heat pts141
space
space
$16,308 | Props total: 3992 3992
 Cya Nerd said:

damn, i thought that was BF3 too.
 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM         #98
Cya Nerd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestykagiso said:
My bad on that screen, FPS' look the damn same to me, but still doesn't stop the fact that.

[pic - click to view]

Now have an ice cream and gold star for knowing ur COD from your BF3

EDIT: and BF and COD are the only games on PC right? ROFL

Not like ANYONE on PC plays ANYTHING ELSE but FPS games *wow*
It looked the same to you?

Console peasants in denial and has never played pc
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
69 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
189 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
77 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
27 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
24 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
54 comments
23 hours ago