Life is Good vs. Magna Carta Holy Grail

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
61 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
85 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
269 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

?
Life Is Good 219 69.75%
Magna Carter 95 30.25%
Voters: 314. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '09        #61
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,242 | Props total: 19352 19352
 ash1990 said:
I bet I was the only Nas fan on bx that actually copped LIG.
Jay-Z fans are more loyal
I copped LIG
 4 years ago '11        #62
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 ash1990 said:
Must I really take a pic?
 4 years ago '04        #63
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,130 | Props total: 4525 4525
ima go with LIG for simple fact that I can skip a few songs of MCHG. some of them joints weak.
 4 years ago '07        #64
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 195 195
Women lie

Men lie

fu*k it you know the rest
 4 years ago '10        #65
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,732 | Props total: 19628 19628
Artisitcally and production-wise Jay-Z's album is superior.

Here's why:

Background

Nas is who I categorize as an MC who is very technical in skill (storytelling, wordplay, metaphors, rhyme pattern), but lacks subtleness at times. In other words, he's an artist and a curator at the same time. He could paint a Van Gogh, but he's explaining EVERYTHING along the way. It's in the song title, the lyrics, and even on Rap Genius now. It k!lls the replay value.

He wasn't always like this though. His song titles were much more ambiguous with Illmatic and It Was Written. You can't look at the track-list and tell me One Love is a letter to a locked up friend, or Street Dreams being the life of an aspiring kingpin.

Now? The creativity has run thin. A Queen's story is just what the title says. This is also true for Accident murders, Daughters, The Don, and Summer on Smash. You know what to expect before listening.

Also, you listen to the songs and well... he's just reiterating the song title. Here's one general taboo in art; . Nas has been a violator of this unwritten law every now and then, but most definitely on LIG.

Jay-Z is an artist who's lyrics have grown increasingly ambiguous over the years since his "retirement". Jay-Z's far from vague, but his songs can hit home through a variety of ways to a variety of listeners. This is usually the norm with pop music.

However, Jay-Z's usage of traditional rap devices separate him from the best pop writers in the industry, i.e. "Tom Ford" could be a song about fashion, or braggadocio, or a diss. It's up to the listener. Jay-Z doesn't explicitly force anything on the listener to get a point across. You have to connect the dots yourself. Most answers will ultimately make sense.

Jay-Z does have a point to shoot across in every song, but you'd either have to be a die hard fan or be a critical thinker to decode his train of thought. His frequent usage of double entendres, advanced metaphors (implications and allusions versus using similes), philosophical references cover his tracks fairly well.

His usage of these efficient writing devices compact big, complex sentences and paragraphs into short bars and verses. Jay-Z may be the most efficient Hip-Hop writer ever, given his mastery of basic literary devices.

Bar for Bar

Both Nas and Jay-Z name drop on their albums, highlighting the contrasting nature of Nas' curation of his work versus Jay-Z's efficient ambiguity.

[pic - click to view]

According to police, [Perry] was legendary for his willingness to k!ll at will- in broad daylight, up close and personal, in front of the police- it didnít matter if you were on his hit list you could be k!lled anywhere in front of anyone. There was nowhere to hide, itís alleged that Silk would lay in wait for his prey all night until he got his opportunity to strike.
Nas Ė Accident murderers

Can't play with these little n*ggas, gangsta little n*ggas
Can't hang with these little n*ggas, they k!lling, they reckless
Wish I could build with him, but will he change really
Some real k!llers
I think of Wayne Perry

Jay-Z - Tom Ford

Hands down got the best flow, sound I'm so special
Sound boy burial, this my Wayne Perry flow
Y'all know nothing about Wayne Perry though
District of Columbia, guns on your Tumblrs

Nas is attaching Wayne Perry to the theme of the song, while Jay is very clever, alluding to k!lling the beat, also noting the contradictory lifestyle of most rappers on their rise to fame. Jay-Z does in a few bars what some could write an entire song about. Nas didn't have to mention Perry at all, it's almost like a wasted line to further drive a point home.

Nas - Daughters

And I ain't tryna mess your thing up
But I just wanna see you dream up
I finally understand
It ain't easy to raise a girl as a single man

Jay-Z - Jay-Z Blue

Life changed again I was already taking off
My flight changed again
Slight change of winds
It's barely 12 noon
And my wife changed again

The contrasting nature of Nas and Jay-Z are on full display once again. Nas goes pretty hard at his daughter, while Jay-Z goes hard at himself. I think that's the stark difference between Nas and Jay, and the most ironic aspect of their critics.

Most Jay-Z detractors abhor his first person perspective of life, as it's just "bragging about x, y, and z" ... but he's giving you his train of thought on a platter with every song. I believe most people rob themselves of the experience by writing him off so quickly. Jay-Z's apparent paranoia of being a bad father reflects the actuality of Nas' song, something he could (or should) have accomplished versus blasting his daughter on wax.

Besides lyrical displays, Jay-Z's flow has evolved into something that's love or hate. This man rhymes to bass-lines, snares, high hats, it always changes up. I think it's pretty fu*kin impressive. Picasso Baby, Holy Grail, Tom Ford, La Famillia, etc, Jay's flow can change mid verse or mid song, or from just song to song. It keeps the album fresh IMO. Nas, doesn't branch out too much on LIG. Some prefer that.

I'm giving the nod to lyrics and delivery to Jay here.

Production...

Does anyone think LIG has better production than MCHG? Both albums pass the laptop speaker test, but damn MCHG k!lls the car test with flying colors.

Overall, LIG is solid, but MCHG is amazing. Spades.
 4 years ago '04        #66
Rae 
space
space
$1,315 | Props total: 319 319
Nas>>>> hov sh*t better than any new rapper sh*t out 0
 4 years ago '04        #67
Rae 
space
space
$1,315 | Props total: 319 319
O ya ^^^^ lryics over production and nas body that and thisvis from a hov fan
 4 years ago '05        #68
mattdogg444 
space
space
$14,497 | Props total: 717 717
I like jays album better, both are great pieces of work though
 4 years ago '05        #69
SMG 
space
space
$2,858 | Props total: 7 7
How long are people gonna d!ckride Nas?...
He's been in the top 5 boring rappers ever for at least 10 years now...
 07-05-2013, 12:19 AM         #70
WezLBoy Wonder 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SMG said:
How long are people gonna d!ckride Nas?...
He's been in the top 5 boring rappers ever for at least 10 years now...
I bet u gonna buy that Dispicable Me sound track u clown
 4 years ago '04        #71
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,310 | Props total: 11226 11226
MGHG > LIG

easy. LIG was and is overhyped. boring to me.
 4 years ago '04        #72
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,310 | Props total: 11226 11226
 WezLBoy Wonder said:
I bet u gonna buy that Dispicable Me sound track u clown

4 years ago '12        #73
Mr Fujaveli 36 heat pts36
space
space
$23,449 | Props total: 12815 12815
this a serious question....but its not fair....lets let this jigga man sink in for a while...Nas winning now but it will be different

seriously?????????????
 4 years ago '11        #74
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,815 | Props total: 1205 1205
 ash1990 said:
I copped it.
 07-05-2013, 02:58 AM         #75
2D.... 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
people just hate to admit that nas won
 07-05-2013, 02:59 AM         #76
Nasty Neighbor 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

07-05-2013, 03:43 AM         #77
Mwana Ya Lola 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jay himself is a stan of the GOAT.
 4 years ago '09        #78
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,084 | Props total: 8866 8866
 thegoldenhero said:
I copped LIG
 Retro said:
Must I really take a pic?
 norcal925 said:
I copped it.
I was being sarcastic saying that I'm the only loyal nas fan on bx.
You know what I meant the fans that claim their fans, the millions that copped Illmatic, It was written and StillMatic

Hovi Bryant said:
Artisitcally and production-wise Jay-Z's album is superior.

Here's why:

Background

Nas is who I categorize as an MC who is very technical in skill (storytelling, wordplay, metaphors, rhyme pattern), but lacks subtleness at times. In other words, he's an artist and a curator at the same time. He could paint a Van Gogh, but he's explaining EVERYTHING along the way. It's in the song title, the lyrics, and even on Rap Genius now. It k!lls the replay value.

He wasn't always like this though. His song titles were much more ambiguous with Illmatic and It Was Written. You can't look at the track-list and tell me One Love is a letter to a locked up friend, or Street Dreams being the life of an aspiring kingpin.

Now? The creativity has run thin. A Queen's story is just what the title says. This is also true for Accident murders, Daughters, The Don, and Summer on Smash. You know what to expect before listening.

Also, you listen to the songs and well... he's just reiterating the song title. Here's one general taboo in art; . Nas has been a violator of this unwritten law every now and then, but most definitely on LIG.

Jay-Z is an artist who's lyrics have grown increasingly ambiguous over the years since his "retirement". Jay-Z's far from vague, but his songs can hit home through a variety of ways to a variety of listeners. This is usually the norm with pop music.

However, Jay-Z's usage of traditional rap devices separate him from the best pop writers in the industry, i.e. "Tom Ford" could be a song about fashion, or braggadocio, or a diss. It's up to the listener. Jay-Z doesn't explicitly force anything on the listener to get a point across. You have to connect the dots yourself. Most answers will ultimately make sense.

Jay-Z does have a point to shoot across in every song, but you'd either have to be a die hard fan or be a critical thinker to decode his train of thought. His frequent usage of double entendres, advanced metaphors (implications and allusions versus using similes), philosophical references cover his tracks fairly well.

His usage of these efficient writing devices compact big, complex sentences and paragraphs into short bars and verses. Jay-Z may be the most efficient Hip-Hop writer ever, given his mastery of basic literary devices.

Bar for Bar

Both Nas and Jay-Z name drop on their albums, highlighting the contrasting nature of Nas' curation of his work versus Jay-Z's efficient ambiguity.

[pic - click to view]

Nas – Accident murderers

Can't play with these little n*ggas, gangsta little n*ggas
Can't hang with these little n*ggas, they k!lling, they reckless
Wish I could build with him, but will he change really
Some real k!llers
I think of Wayne Perry

Jay-Z - Tom Ford

Hands down got the best flow, sound I'm so special
Sound boy burial, this my Wayne Perry flow
Y'all know nothing about Wayne Perry though
District of Columbia, guns on your Tumblrs

Nas is attaching Wayne Perry to the theme of the song, while Jay is very clever, alluding to k!lling the beat, also noting the contradictory lifestyle of most rappers on their rise to fame. Jay-Z does in a few bars what some could write an entire song about. Nas didn't have to mention Perry at all, it's almost like a wasted line to further drive a point home.

Nas - Daughters

And I ain't tryna mess your thing up
But I just wanna see you dream up
I finally understand
It ain't easy to raise a girl as a single man

Jay-Z - Jay-Z Blue

Life changed again I was already taking off
My flight changed again
Slight change of winds
It's barely 12 noon
And my wife changed again

The contrasting nature of Nas and Jay-Z are on full display once again. Nas goes pretty hard at his daughter, while Jay-Z goes hard at himself. I think that's the stark difference between Nas and Jay, and the most ironic aspect of their critics.

Most Jay-Z detractors abhor his first person perspective of life, as it's just "bragging about x, y, and z" ... but he's giving you his train of thought on a platter with every song. I believe most people rob themselves of the experience by writing him off so quickly. Jay-Z's apparent paranoia of being a bad father reflects the actuality of Nas' song, something he could (or should) have accomplished versus blasting his daughter on wax.

Besides lyrical displays, Jay-Z's flow has evolved into something that's love or hate. This man rhymes to bass-lines, snares, high hats, it always changes up. I think it's pretty fu*kin impressive. Picasso Baby, Holy Grail, Tom Ford, La Famillia, etc, Jay's flow can change mid verse or mid song, or from just song to song. It keeps the album fresh IMO. Nas, doesn't branch out too much on LIG. Some prefer that.

I'm giving the nod to lyrics and delivery to Jay here.

Production...

Does anyone think LIG has better production than MCHG? Both albums pass the laptop speaker test, but damn MCHG k!lls the car test with flying colors.

Overall, LIG is solid, but MCHG is amazing. Spades.

World's An Addiction >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MCHG

Last edited by Ash10; 07-05-2013 at 04:00 AM..
 4 years ago '05        #79
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
Haven't listened to MCHG yet but if THIS board of all boards thinks life is good is better...
 4 years ago '12        #80
King Jaffe Joe 23 heat pts23
space
space
$8,091 | Props total: 4765 4765
LIG so far, but both are great albums.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildlandís new free DLC.
40 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Chris Paul 31 pts 11 assists 7 rebs Highlights
34 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy