Why Microsoft's Xbox One Will Win the Console War : IGN Blog

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
129 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '05        #161
HARBINGER|M 448 heat pts448
space
space
$48,255 | Props total: 6348 6348
xboxwon
 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM         #162
Laharl 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 OG k!lla said:
Yeah cause the cell phones n*ggas been completing drug deals on for year snow ain't already did it right?

Your computer ain't reported you for that kiddie pr0n has it? Smarten up nas
I remember when NY had a year of snow.

Cold times.
 4 years ago '11        #163
mhurricane266 
space
space
$2,559 | Props total: 547 547
My kids og 60 gig ps3 crapped out last week so I gave them my slim ps3 and just decided to go back to the 360 and picked up another slim. the error of my fukin ways. I'd always believed live was better but going two years solo on the 3 you definitely see. I've only owned them together but it's more than apparent. Been playing cod on the 3 and the lag I just chalked up to the servers but I just redboxed it being back on 360 and there was still lag comp but nowhere near as bad..didnt rage whatsoever being so used to the ps3. The updates and layout are a given..but still going back two years away the 3 is so bare in comparison

I fully expect psn to be tons better since they are charging next gen but that cemented it for me. Unless Microsoft ends up screwing up somewhere or Sony throws some major haymakers ill be on the x1 at launch.
Any body on the 360 shoot me a friend request mhurricane266.
 4 years ago '04        #164
lfletcher 
space
space
$2,167 | Props total: 136 136
Did Microsoft write this article?

I'm sure they're several articles claiming a win for both consoles. Honestly, I think we'll be happy with either.
 4 years ago '12        #165
DreamChasers 87 heat pts87
space
space
$6,899 | Props total: 777 777
Kinect is useless.nothing more then an overhyped overprogrammed camera/microphone

Xbox lawse.
 07-04-2013, 02:18 PM         #166
b0p 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CrunchTime CDN said:

[pic - click to view]

Eight years after the launch of the Xbox 360, Microsoft is finally on the verge of launching its successor, the Xbox One. A potentially exciting time for Microsoft has turned into an absolute PR disaster, but in a surprise move to win back some support, Microsoft decided to reverse their unpopular policies on the 24-hour internet connection checks and rules regarding sharing games. Despite the overwhelming support for Sony’s PlayStation 4, Microsoft is not out of the f!ght just yet. There’s no doubt that Sony has the edge in terms of consumer support right now, but this f!ght will rage on for years to come.

Part gaming console, part entertainment hub, Microsoft is attempting to take over your living room — and that’s exactly why they’ll come out on top of the console war when the dust has settled. Some of you may be thinking that this premature proclamation of victory for Microsoft’s Xbox One months before it is even available on the market is absurd, but expanding their audience will be the catalyst to victory. They’ve evolved far beyond the traditional gaming console model, and their forward thinking will pay off as the Xbox One gradually a.sserts itself as the top choice in houses across the world.

Living rooms have typically been dominated by televisions, so it only makes sense that Microsoft aims to completely integrate the Xbox One into it. From playing your Blu-Ray movies to watching TV, Microsoft is attempting to place the Xbox One at the center of your home entertainment. Using an HDMI port for the cable TV pass-through, your Xbox will be connected directly to your set-top box. But it’s more than just an extension of your cable box — it’s meant to be all that and more.

So what reason would you have to use the Xbox One’s program guide overlay? One word: Kinect. Microsoft’s prized toy is going to be bundled with every console, and it may very well be the best addition to the Xbox One. Aside from the obvious applications for gaming, the voice and motion controls could potentially change the way you watch TV. Say goodbye to the days of fumbling around looking for your remote. Instead, you can just command the Kinect to switch channels by voice or use gestures to browse through the channel guide.

If using the Kinect to watch TV doesn’t sound all that enticing to you, keep in mind that it’s just one function in a vast array of features available to you. It’s a powerful device that’s just scratching the surface of its immense potential, and this technology is the next logical step in the progression of home entertainment. As the success of the Nintendo Wii proved, the future of gaming is not tied to buttons and joysticks. People want to enhance their levels of gaming with a more immersive experience, and Microsoft is looking to continue building on that with the next iteration of Kinect.

As developers continue to tap into the power of the Kinect, gamers will soon start to realize that it’s more than just a gimmick or fancy motion tracking camera. From simple gestures to voice control, the Kinect will be able to augment gaming like never before. It will act as an extension of your controller, giving you options that would otherwise not be available. Microsoft demoed some of the possibilities developers will be able to add, such as leaning to one side to dodge, tapping your temple to bring up X-Ray vision or calling out orders to squad mates. These examples sound quite simple, but as developers start to further utilize this technology in their games, we’ll start to see more clever and innovative integration.

Then there’s Microsoft’s IllumiRoom technology. While it’s still under development, Microsoft’s proof-of-concept demonstration at CES teased the amazing potential behind their new projector technology. The ability to extend the limits of your TV screen and project all sorts of new elements onto the space around your TV will take gaming to another level.

The PlayStation Eye, Sony’s answer to the Kinect, is actually a separate device priced at $59, and it doesn’t even come close to touching the capabilities of the Kinect. The Playroom concept PlayStation demoed looks comical in comparison to what the Kinect is capable of, and when you consider the gap between the Kinect and the Eye, the Xbox One’s price point doesn’t look all that bad. While Microsoft is forcing the Kinect on you, considering all of the features it offers, it’s a bargain compared to the PlayStation Eye.

Interestingly enough, according to a recent report, the PlayStation 4 initially included the Eye and was priced at $499, but they opted to cut the device in favor of undercutting Microsoft. It seems that Microsoft’s decision to bundle the next Kinect is one of the main reasons for the $100 price difference, and while it may be a tough sell in the early going, the appeal of the Kinect is sure to eventually convince those on the fence to hop on over.

Ars Technica recently did a study, and adjusting the price for inflation, the Xbox One is actually priced reasonably when compared to other consoles. Also of interest is that “higher priced systems tend to drop more quickly and more sharply than those launched at lower prices, which slowly taper down over the years.” So while that price drop won’t come for a few years, when it does come and the Xbox One ecosystem is more fully realized, consumers may have an easier choice deciding then.

All that money is being put toward good use. Microsoft certainly didn’t skimp on the hardware used to power all of those apps and games, but the PlayStation 4 still has the edge in specs. The power of the cloud and ability to offload some of the processes server side are constantly being touted by Microsoft, but it’s still unclear how much power developers will have at their disposal to actually augment the processing power of the Xbox One. However, even taking into consideration the current spec sheet, the Xbox One isn’t that far behind. Aside from some PlayStation 4 exclusive content that may push the boundaries of the hardware, the graphics probably won’t be monumentally different from one console to the next. The Xbox One will at least be competitive in the graphics department, and that may be enough for most consumers.

It’s no wonder that Sony loaded the PlayStation 4 with some serious processing power: They appear to be focused on giving consumers the ultimate gaming experience. They’re playing it safe by catering to the user base that has supported them for so long, but in this day and age, focusing on a gaming market that’s expanded outside of the living room and into more casual, on-the-go games on mobile phones and tablets is not a winning proposition.

In the end, the gamers will flock to whoever has the best games. The initial reveal of the Xbox One received a mixed reception, but Microsoft switched gears and came out swinging with an impressive, non-stop barrage of tantalizing games at E3. Their lineup was simply jaw dropping, and even the biggest critics of the Xbox One couldn’t help but at least be intrigued by exclusive Xbox One titles such as Titanfall, Quantum Break and Ryse. Microsoft’s war chest is deep, and they’re going all out to secure exclusive content that even the most stubborn gamers that oppose the Xbox One can’t ignore.

All of the hardware and toys that make up the Xbox One certainly sound nice, but they would be nothing without the software that powers it. What brings all of this together is the custom version of Microsoft’s Hyper-V hypervisor — their virtual machine monitor that is used to run multiple operating systems — which will have the Xbox OS and Windows kernel running over it. While the Xbox OS handles all your gaming needs, the Windows kernel will take care of all of your apps, which allows for seamless transitions between the two operating systems.

The multitasking aspect alone of the Xbox One’s dual-OS setup should be a huge draw, and it only helps Microsoft to get one step closer to being your all-in-one home entertainment platform. It pushes the term couch potato to a whole new level, bringing everything right to your fingertips. Want to continue watching that video while you Skype? Go right ahead. Need to find a walkthrough for a particularly challenging game? Bring up a guide on Internet Explorer and follow along as you play. You never have to leave the comfort of your couch because Microsoft has conveniently bundled all of it for you in one package.

While gamers will always play a pivotal role in determining the success of a console, they no longer dictate the narrative. Thanks in large part to the Nintendo Wii, consoles have made an even deeper push into family entertainment territory, pushing out the archaic board games that have dominated that arena for so long. Simply put, the Xbox One offers far more features that will attract a wider audience. Which console do you think that housewife will want? The one that she can easily do yoga or zumba with at home or the one that focuses mainly on games? How about that dad that wants to watch some NFL games while he follows along with his fantasy football team?

Sony may have won the first battle for public opinion with Microsoft, but they’ll need more than that if they hope to win the long-term war for consumers. If the current console cycle is any indication, keep in mind that this battle that will likely drag out over the next decade. Microsoft is hedging their bets on long-terms gains, and they offer more bang for your buck. The gamers are in Sony’s corner right now, but will they be enough to turn the fortunes around of a division that’s been hemorrhaging money for years and give them the winning edge? Don’t count on it.

[pic - click to view]

Ok if i want to watch tv i will watch tv if i want a cam for my ps4 i a get one xbox giving yall that cam cause the system wont work wit out it (kinda sh*t is that ) my kinect bork i gota get a new one or i cant play the game bro they bout to catch so many n*ggas on kinect do in sh*t you cant cut the cam off (microsoft = Skynet My n*gga )
 4 years ago '05        #167
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,868 | Props total: 20852 20852
 b0p said:
Ok if i want to watch tv i will watch tv if i want a cam for my ps4 i a get one xbox giving yall that cam cause the system wont work wit out it (kinda sh*t is that ) my kinect bork i gota get a new one or i cant play the game bro they bout to catch so many n*ggas on kinect do in sh*t you cant cut the cam off (microsoft = Skynet My n*gga )
Did you pass 3rd grade English?
 4 years ago '12        #168
DreamChasers 87 heat pts87
space
space
$6,899 | Props total: 777 777
 Krazie said:
Did you pass 3rd grade English?

Seriously tho, i only think illumiaroom is the cool sh*t that could come out of this. Otherwise ... im good off PSEYE or Kinect.

probably need to buy a seperate piece for illuminaroom of course.
 4 years ago '05        #169
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 DreamChasers said:

Seriously tho, i only think illumiaroom is the cool sh*t that could come out of this. Otherwise ... im good off PSEYE or Kinect.

Yeah that sh*t will need a projector if it ever comes to fruition.
 4 years ago '11        #170
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 DreamChasers said:

Yeah they confirmed that you would need a projector for it to work.
 4 years ago '11        #171
nastynorm89 
space
space
$229 | Props total: 62 62
 4 years ago '06        #172
cboi3523 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,962 | Props total: 44 44
 illement said:
For pure gaming I think I'll stick to the PS4.

For all that extra sh*t and impressing hos I bring over the crib to change between tv and gaming/skype etc. using voice commands I'll be using that Xbone

Until then......Day ONE....

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '05        #173
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 cboi3523 said:

Until then......Day ONE....

[pic - click to view]

You guys need to start using a different phrase considering "Day One" is part of the marketing of X1.
 4 years ago '11        #174
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 Krazie said:
You guys need to start using a different phrase considering "Day One" is part of the marketing of X1.
Day FOUR. Wait...
 4 years ago '05        #175
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Day FOUR. Wait...

C'mon, bro, you're better than that. That was near cringe worthy.
 07-05-2013, 05:20 AM         #176
Laharl 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Krazie said:
Day DR5
 4 years ago '04        #177
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
 JCSIII said:
The 360 started off strong on exclusives too but Microsoft couldn't keep it up down the stretch.
and neither could sony the first 3 and a half years for ps3 was damn near a deadzone for quality exclusives....
 4 years ago '04        #178
killababi 31 heat pts31
space
space
$16,551 | Props total: 2656 2656
 Ra-da-god said:
and neither could sony the first 3 and a half years for ps3 was damn near a deadzone for quality exclusives....
He said down the stretch tho. Also gave 360 props for starting off strong. When PS3 started the ball rolling they did I good job of keeping the momentum. 360 didn't do as well in that department. Neither were perfect tho
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Best Upcoming Horror Movies 2018 (Trailer)
25 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy