Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
33 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
39 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
69 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '06        #1
10129 pageviews
136 comments

ChevyBrah 216 heat pts216
space
space
space
$15,408 | Props total: 961 961
Sony issues correction: PS4 will not support analog output

Share This Article

inShare
Update 1:30PM ET: I just got word from my Sony contact, and the official word is now “It does not support analog out.” This is extremely disappointing news for everyone involved. Sony listed analog-AV support on its official site, on the PS4 Amazon page, and even a PR representative confirmed the feature. After the $399 price announcement last week, it seems like some last minute cuts have made for substantial confusion. Even Sony itself can’t keep the details straight.

Update 11:44AM ET: Sony removed “Analog-AV out” from the tech specs page after this article went live. Unfortunately, this makes the situation even more confusing. I’ve reached out for more information from a Sony representative, and I will update as soon as more information becomes available.

HDMI is a fantastic AV interface, but with it comes a load of copy protection baggage that compromises some functionality. It’s no surprise that the Xbox One will only feature HDMI out, but what about the PS4? While there has been some significant confusion about the topic, Sony has confirmed to ExtremeTech that the PS4 will, in fact, feature analog-AV output.

On Sony’s own PS4 Tech Specs page, the company lists “Analog-AV out” as a feature. Presumably, that settles the question, right? Not quite. Since the PS4 event at E3 last week, I started to see some members of the tech and gaming press refer to the PS4 as HDMI-only. I asked around, and I was told by Giant bomb’s Jeff Gerstmann that Sony’s site had “old information.” I was left baffled at the situation, so I went straight to the source — Sony.

I emailed a press contact at Sony, and I asked “Can you confirm or deny analog-AV out support with the PS4?” Not long afterward, I received a clear and concise answer in the affirmative. The Sony representative said “The information on our website is correct.” So, as it stands, Sony has officially confirmed to ExtremeTech that analog output will be supported with the PS4.

Where did the confusion start? Partially, I believe it’s due to the ambiguous labeling of the back of the PS4. It sports an optical out, an HDMI out, an ethernet port, and an “Aux” port. It seems that most people are a.ssuming that the auxiliary port will be used exclusively with the PS4′s camera peripheral. Instead, the auxiliary port could function as a method of serving an analog signal from the PS4. It’s not confirmed how it works just yet, but that seems like the most likely scenario. Truth be told, HDMI-to-component or USB-to-component are also possible implementations.

Another point of confusion could be this press release Sony sent out during E3. It doesn’t mention the analog-AV out, so that explains why some outlets would a.ssume that there would be no analog support.

If true, the existence of analog output is outstanding news to those of us with older TVs lacking HDMI ports, but this means much more than that. High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is often enabled on devices sending out video over HDMI, and that can make capturing high definition game footage extremely difficult for outlets, like our sister site IGN. Even normal gamers are impacted because video walkthroughs and “Let’s Play” videos will become increasingly harder to accomplish using traditional means.

Since the PS3 has HDCP enabled whenever it is running video over HDMI, it makes capturing video over component the only legal way to record HD game play. On the other hand, the Xbox 360 only enables HDCP encryption when protected video is playing, so games are unaffected. The worry with HDMI-only consoles is that HDCP could stand in the way of easy video capture, and having analog output nullifies that fear completely.

Microsoft isn’t exactly in a consumer-friendly mood lately, so always-on HDCP encryption for the Xbox One is presumed at this point. That said, it has yet to be confirmed one way or the other. Whether the PS4 will have always-on HDCP encryption over HDMI remains to be seen as well, but the support for analog output puts my mind at ease.

visit this link http://www.extremetech.co .. -analog-output

136 comments for "Sony issues correction: PS4 will not support analog output"

4 years ago '05        #2
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,098 | Props total: 10796 10796
it's a digital era. non HD users lost. There's always computer monitors though...
 4 years ago '05        #3
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,661 | Props total: 13779 13779
 P-Hill said:
it's a digital era. non HD users lost. There's always computer monitors though...
I'm sure e G o can write up a tutorial on how to hook up the computer monitor and the SD TV so you can have sound.
 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM         #4
esneffoelgnairt 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
bullsh*t
 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM         #5
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
People still use analog connections?
 4 years ago '12        #6
Cubs Draco 141 heat pts141
space
space
$16,311 | Props total: 3994 3994
Half of PS3 owners still use that output.

Last edited by Cubs Draco; 06-18-2013 at 01:27 PM..
 4 years ago '12        #7
sigNN 14 heat pts14
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 3898 3898
 xeduran said:
People still use analog connections?
its mainly for headsets

i had some turtle beaches that need to be hooked up to that sh*t.

but i got wireless headsets now so i can give two fu*ks
 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM         #8
HDBeatz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
HD or nothing.
 4 years ago '12        #9
space
space
 HDBeatz said:
HD or nothing.
I thought Sony cared about everyone though.
 4 years ago '07        #10
moe4484 4 heat pts
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 1137 1137
When the thread was made about Xbox going to HD only alot of people were in an uproar but now
 4 years ago '04        #11
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,670 | Props total: 524 524

"bu-bu-but I shouldn't HAVE to be forced to upgrade to an HDTV"

Where the fu*k are all those Sony stans who were dogging Microsoft for this sh*t?
 4 years ago '12        #12
space
space
 moe4484 said:
When the thread was made about Xbox going to HD only alot of people were in an uproar but now
I see it too.
 4 years ago '04        #13
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 moe4484 said:
Exactly

"Oh, it's fine now. It's Sony, so we don't have a problem."
 4 years ago '04        #14
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,505 | Props total: 16337 16337
Sony delivering only top quality
 4 years ago '04        #15
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,505 | Props total: 16337 16337
I see y'all Xbox fanboys still looking to gain some pride back
 4 years ago '04        #16
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
they should rename this section "Hypocrite Central" I swear
 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM         #17
LakeHawks 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P-Hill said:
True that
 4 years ago '04        #18
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 Y.G. said:
I'm sure e G o can write up a tutorial on how to hook up the computer monitor and the SD TV so you can have sound.
Can't believe I missed this post

I had a ghetto setup for any ad every situation
 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM         #19
esneffoelgnairt 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 e G o Maniac said:
Exactly

"Oh, it's fine now. It's Sony, so we don't have a problem."
no its still a giant problem, and I said the same thing in here that I did in the x1 thread ... bullsh*t.

There isnt a flying chance in fu*k that Im going to buy a console and upgrade my kids tv so he can play, this just again reinforces my flipping my launch console and waiting til christmas for my master race initiation
 4 years ago '05        #20
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,392 | Props total: 8069 8069
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
109 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
66 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
107 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
111 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
206 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Michael "Walking Bucket" Beasley Highlights vs Thunder | 30pts, 5reb, 4ast
74 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Ultimate mugen build(tell me the characters and Ill build you a custom game)
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy