Jay-Z - "Magna Carta Holy Grail" | Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
36 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
51 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '09        #3001
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,233 | Props total: 19338 19338
 ballergenetics said:
Agreed. The Versus interlude is retarded too...
Yeah Versus just seems pointless...
 4 years ago '11        #3002
Kobane 163 heat pts163
space
space
$15,105 | Props total: 2320 2320

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #3003
bluehefner96 95 heat pts95
space
space
$12,172 | Props total: 11291 11291
 thegoldenhero said:
Dope a.ss album...Anyone else feeling like he should have left off La Familia it's the only really mediocre song on the album.
Only track that felt off/weird to me was "BBC" off 1st listen. Sounds like a bonus track, but I know Nas heads would've hated that.

Maybe it'll grow though. It has potential, but that old Pharrell/Neptune style didn't really fit the rest of the album production wise.

How about the "Shocker" track though. Can't nobody tell me that they didn't look at the track list and think "Part II ft. Beyonce" wouldn't be a low point on the album. That sh*t is dope though. And usually B can be annoying.
 4 years ago '04        #3004
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
My reaction going through the album today...

I thought it was dope until after Somewhere In America.. Then it was just spotty.

sh*t is musically like an 8/10 but lyrically a 3/10 at best.

Oh and those R&B singers on the hooks just makes me
 4 years ago '09        #3005
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,080 | Props total: 8850 8850
 DSOM said:

THE ALBERT EINSTEIN IS TRASH

PRODIGY IS HORRIBLE

HE WASTED THOSE BEATS LOL
I'm scared to listen, I pretend he retired after HNIC 2 got released.

4 years ago '04        #3006
DSOM 37 heat pts37
space
space
$18,325 | Props total: 414 414
 DJ Maximum said:
i should start to add a tag on my gif's i made this @ 3am this morning and its all over the net now
welcome to the club
 4 years ago '07        #3007
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
serious question is jay the only rapper people listen to hoping his music will be bad?
 4 years ago '07        #3008
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$35,778 | Props total: 2740 2740
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
 Darkdrone said:
Name me where I said Born Sinner is better than Magna Carta? I said in my opinion it is better you dumbass.
yo somebody come get this n*gga fam
 4 years ago '13        #3009
Taree 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,293 | Props total: 4068 4068
 Rico23 said:
Tell me how i'm reaching

i will pay pal you 20 dollars if you can prove it in 2 or more sentences
Easy n*gga. Everything you added and everything the original reviewer posted is all a.ssumption that could be made from any rappers simple a.ss lines if you're trying hard enough. That"s a fact. Unless Jay comes out and actually explains the meaning behind such a line, you can only reach for what you THINK the line means. You proved my point in your own post by having 2 totally different views of what the line is getting at, which is why these rappers get away with the lazy bars they do now...because silly fans like yourself will turn the simplest lines into to some kind of impossible riddle that only YOU "get" somehow.

But it"s all good on the $20 as yu will forever have an excuse to how you aren"t reaching here. Jay could tell you to your face that that was just a quick freestyled line that came out while recording and nothing more, and you would somehow turn that into him being some kind of natural effortless genius that doesn"t even know the extent of his own brilliance or some sh*t. I mean, if he freestyles all his verses, hiow could the amount of thought that you two just put into that line be possible during some freestyled bars?

I'll wait....

Last edited by Taree; 07-04-2013 at 05:30 PM..
 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM         #3010
.aviator.man. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k this sh*t was an great experince from gettin it last night comin home to blastin it hov gettin his flow onnnn
 4 years ago '04        #3011
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 ballergenetics said:
Most of the best songs (lyrically) are after Somewhere in America...
Yeah but many of those songs just flat out suck
 4 years ago '04        #3012
DSOM 37 heat pts37
space
space
$18,325 | Props total: 414 414
 ash1990 said:
I'm scared to listen, I pretend he retired after HNIC 2 got released.

Being a former mobb deep fan like im sure u were, we know what prodigy used to be, but hearing him now is painful.
 4 years ago '11        #3013
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,804 | Props total: 2667 2667
 Taree said:
Easy n*gga. Everything you added and everything the original reviewer posted is all a.ssumption that could be made from any rappers simple a.ss lines if you're trying hard enough. That"s a fact. Unless Jay comes out and actually explains the meaning behind such a line, you can only reach for what you THINK the line means. You proved my point in your own post by having 2 totally different views of what the line is getting at, which is why these rappers get away with the lazy bars they do now...because silly fans like yourself will turn the simplest lines into to some kind of impossible riddle that only YOU "get" somehow.

But it"s all good on the $20 as yu will forever have an excuse to how you aren"t reaching here. Jay could tell you to your face that that was just a quick freestyled line that came out while recording and nothing more, and you would somehow turn that into him being some kind of natural effortless genius that doesn"t even know the extent of his own brilliance or some sh*t. I mean, if he freestyles all his verses, hiow could the amount of thought that you two just put into that line be possible during a some freestyled bars?

I'll wait....
He doesn't freestyle his verses, he structures them in his mind instead of writing them down. He'll still sit down and think up the sh*t he bout to say. Most people that mimic the gimmick feels it frees their flow up more
 4 years ago '13        #3014
Taree 1 heat pts
space
space
 wjcorner said:
He doesn't freestyle his verses, he structures them in his mind instead of writing them down. He'll still sit down and think up the sh*t he bout to say. Most people that mimic the gimmick feels it frees their flow up more
"Structuring them in his head" is still considered "freestyling" here. He has said that himmself. He still just spits his quick thoughts down and if it fits, he runs with them. It"s still doesn"t make sense for such a long broken down meaning to be possible with this technique. Which is why most of his metaphors have always been mostly some quick hit of cleverness, nothing nearyl as dramatic as the breakdown of that line that dude is trying to convince himmself of. Come on now.
 4 years ago '04        #3015
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 ballergenetics said:
Heaven, Jay-Z Blue, and Nickels and Dimes "flat out suck"...? Aite, bruh...
Versus, Part 2, Beach Is Better, La Familia and BBC do suck though.

And Jay-Z Blue ain't really sh*t either.
 4 years ago '12        #3016
DreamChasers 87 heat pts87
space
space
$6,899 | Props total: 777 777
this album is terrible from an originality standpoint. No lyrical content what so ever, i listened to 16 songs and the only line i remember is what i think to be kanye west saying you gon let these dudes sh*t on you?

from a 2013 hip hop standpoint this album is as 9.9/10
 4 years ago '13        #3017
Taree 1 heat pts
space
space
 Rico23 said:

So you tell me how i'm "reaching" just to go on to say how you a.ssume or think i would act if Jay told me that one of the ways I viewed the line is wrong because of some supposed blind stan logic..

lol

If that's all you got from what I said, then that's on you. Whatever makes you feel better I suppose.

I was gonna buy me a quick dro sac with that easy $20 too, ah well.

It's all good.
 4 years ago '13        #3018
Taree 1 heat pts
space
space
 Rico23 said:
All i said was i heard something that the people who decoded the lyric on rap genius...U acting like just because i said decoded and how i thought of something they didn't automatically = me being dramatic...furthermore u go on with some douche bag elitist mind state that people who come up with what a piece of art (film, music, literature, etc) for example, rap lyrics, are silly.....

If i'm wrong please go ahead and explain...or let me guess did you not like the album? or did you
I"ve already explained, it"ll just keep going around in circles on a forum no matter how "right" or "wrong" one of us is.

That quick $20 should be mine though, I will say that. My broke a.ss could really use it for a sac right now lol

I definitely like the album, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as great as people are putting it at on here. But we all have opinions.
 4 years ago '06        #3019
I_Am_Hiphop134 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,923 | Props total: 156 156

[video - click to view]

Start at the 0:14 mark..............Why is this not on the album????

Dont tell me thats tha finshed version of Tom Ford either bcuz if it is.... smh.. it could have been better.
 4 years ago '06        #3020
Junglist 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,046 | Props total: 9905 9905
fu*k up the world and Tom Ford are the only good songs to me

Jay Z ran out of sh*t to brag about

And his flow is almost the same on every song

He cant even talk about money thirsty hoes anymore

Beyonce be in the cut lookin
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
98 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
57 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
85 comments
1 day ago