most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
8870 pageviews
142 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,848 | Props total: 4149 4149
DaOmega_1 reviews "Man of Steel"

When the credits started to roll, my friend sitting next to me was crying. She broke down, sobbing, truly emotional. I asked her what was wrong. She looked at me, face still bright red, and in a crackling voice said “This is my Superman. My entire childhood, everything I knew Superman to be is here. I… thought I’d never see it”.

“Man of Steel” will hit a lot of people very deeply. As for my audience, the audience went into riotous applause on at least three occasions in the film. It totally had us captivated. And, it isn’t because of the special effects, or the actions.

It’s simply because of Clark Kent aka Kal-El.

This is a thorough reimagining of the Superman mythos. The changes made to continuity are all bold & ballsy in ways that I wasn’t expecting. Superman has always had the stigma of being “overpowered”, or not relatable. And, maybe the outdated view of Superman in the past (the Richard Donner films) was in direct reaction to America needing a hero to believe in on the big screen.

To have a relatable Superman was on the backburner for those films. Flash forward to today, you have a Superman that feels strangely alien and foreign from us. Zack Snyder makes the interesting choice to make the alien & foreign nature of Kal-El a focal point of the entire film. And, miraculously that creates a Clark Kent/Kal-El that feels more human.

“Man of Steel” is an experience. Deeply emotional, surprisingly soulful, and ballsy. It is at once the biggest AND smallest Superman film ever made. It is a surprisingly intimate story. In fact, what impressed me was the fact that Clark Kent/Kal-El is essentially an introvert. He doesn’t do a lot of talking. But, Henry Cavill’s performance speaks volumes, and radiates a need to do good for the Earth.

However, what sparks an internal conflict is the relationship he has with Pa Kent (Kevin Costner) and Ma Kent (Diane Lane), the adoptive parents who found him as an infant. We get a view of Clark as a child, grappling with his newfound abilities. At one point, in a heartbreaking moment, he asks his mother “what’s wrong with me”. It’s those moments that invest us in the character of Superman. Had that not been there, all the visual effects in existence wouldn’t have mattered in the slightest.

What also makes this film so strong is how thoroughly it takes us through the journey of Krypton’s last days. We spend a good 20 minutes on Krypton at the very beginning of the film. Honestly, I couldn’t believe it had taken all these years to fully realize Krypton. We spend a lot of time with Superman’s biological parents, and seeing their struggle against General Zod. In fact, one of the strongest thematic threads in the film is how important Krypton’s existence is, and how torn Kal-El is about the plot at hand to ensure Krypton’s survival.

Of course, Lois Lane has a major hand in the events of this film. This is, I think, the single best screen-version of that character I’ve ever seen. Amy Adams brings intelligence to the role that I thought was refreshing for her character. She isn’t nearly the ditz that she was in previous versions. First & foremost, Lois Lane is an investigative journalist. We get a good bit of the film with her doing her job, chasing leads, and being fully capable (which is more than I can say for nearly any other blockbuster this year).

General Zod makes a convincing case for the central conflict. He’s a villain we understand, which makes the emotional gut punch of the film’s final f!ght scene that much stronger. It hits you. Hard. And, Michael Shannon brings so much to that performance that I’m almost certain didn’t originate from the page. However, as far as villains go, Faora steals the show.

Now, you may have noticed that I haven’t talked about the action sequences at all during this review. And, that’s because the action wouldn’t have mattered at all if the character work wasn’t as strong as it was. But, rest a.ssured, the physicality of Superman has finally been displayed in all its wonder. Superman is unleashed here, and the scale of the action & destruction is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in a Superhero Film. Like, we talk about “The Avengers”, or “The Dark Knight Rises”… But, honestly in terms of the action & the scope of it, never has it ever been as fully realized as it is here.

It is, at once, exhilarating and exhausting. During the film’s final 45 minutes, my face was actually starting to hurt because I was smiling so much. The action here is f*cking awesome.

Now, I’ve read reviews that have complained about the film’s perceived lack of humor or levity. And, I can’t help but disagree with them. It’s not that the movie is humor or joyless, in fact, the film ends on such a beautifully hopeful note, I couldn’t help but smile. The truth is, I think most critics are still holding on to the Superman of the past. But this Superman is one that seems more palatable for our times and interests. We will always have Christopher Reeves, but this one is for a new generation. And, they’ve managed to perfectly update Superman as an entity for a totally new audience.

It’s not a perfect film, however. If you see this film in 3D, you might get a little dizzy from some of the shaky cam, especially during the first hour or so. The screenplay by David S. Goyer (co-written by Christopher Nolan) has some dialogue that can be perceived as hokey or corny. And, also the screenplay feels almost like, in the first half hour, the movie is on fast forward. It almost needs another 10 or 15 minutes to allow more of the film’s themes to play out a little more convincingly. And, there is A LOT of action in the last third. Maybe a little too much… Maybe.

But, those quibbles aside, this is first-rate majestic blockbuster filmmaking. It is a reintroduction into the Superman mythos, and a beautifully told story about identity, doubt, reconciliation with oneself, and making tough decisions. Simultaneous intimate and epic, this film is certainly one of the most deeply effective superhero films ever made. I loved it from top to bottom.

As my friend (at the beginning of the review) cried what I a.ssumed were tears of joy, I couldn’t help but think that this is a film that will connect with people on a deeply emotional level. And, that (to me, at least) is what I will always take away from this film.

I honestly cannot wait to see it again.

SCORE: 9.5 (out of 10) = DOPENESS

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 06-15-2013 at 05:30 PM..

142 comments for "DaOmega_1 reviews "Man of Steel""

5 years ago '04        #2
etchasketch 50 heat pts50
space
space
space
$4,560 | Props total: 2009 2009
I am speechless at this review.
 5 years ago '09        #3
A2P89 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,488 | Props total: 54 54
Jor El stole the show. Crowe>
 5 years ago '05        #4
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 etchasketch said:
I am speechless at this review.

What can I say, you felt different than me. It's all good.
 5 years ago '04        #5
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,816 | Props total: 1849 1849
First page, this is gonna be another one of them threads

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #6
SokeSleezy 3 heat pts
space
space
$12,974 | Props total: 121 121
 DaOmega_1 said:

It’s not a perfect film, however. If you see this film in 3D, you might get a little dizzy from some of the shaky cam, especially during the first hour or so. The screenplay by David S. Goyer (co-written by Christopher Nolan) has some dialogue that can be perceived as hokey or corny. And, also the screenplay feels almost like, in the first half hour, the movie is on fast forward. It almost needs another 10 or 15 minutes to allow more of the film’s themes to play out a little more convincingly. And, there is A LOT of action in the last third. Maybe a little too much… Maybe.

SCORE: 9.5 (out of 10) = DOPENESS

this is my biggest complaint of the film...the entire first half felt like if i was skippin thru scenes of a downloaded copy to see if the quality was good,it didnt flow together was just like random scenes thrown together.. the relationship wit Lois felt forced,it was all hi im lois,bamm i love you! and she reminds me too much of PAM from The Office for me to take her serious as Lois Lane

And him
[spoiler - click to view]

was no need for that type of changing of the story,it didnt add anything...

and the stupidest thing was them basically saying

action was great though and the casting was good too minus Lois and his Kryptonian mother...
 5 years ago '07        #7
Daville502 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,785 | Props total: 1313 1313
Dopeness indeed.

And I agree that this is probably the least annoying movie version of Lois ever. Its the first time the character didnt get on my nerves. Russell Crowe was terrific as Jor El. Faora was scary and Superman didnt play around. My only complaint would be the collateral damage by Supes.
 5 years ago '10        #8
G Code 42 heat pts42
space
space
$6,029 | Props total: 117 117
Movie was insane can't wait to see it again
 5 years ago '05        #9
jiggaman85 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,866 | Props total: 167 167
You're gettin worse... So it's a 8 but you want so bad to give it a 9.5 ....
 5 years ago '04        #10
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,816 | Props total: 1849 1849
Is the Dark Knight the only other movie DaOmega gave a 9.5 to ???
 5 years ago '05        #11
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,166 | Props total: 959 959
My man...movie was straight Flames... That action, I like the origin story as well, been waiting for someone to explain that, along with was his world just full of supermen...

That bi*ch Faora k!lled it.. My second Fav character in the movie... bi*ch was bad..
 5 years ago '09        #12
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 1147 1147
Wow...I just got back myself, the movie was dope, but the story was kind of all over the place and had terrible timing...for that sole reason, I would give it a solid 8 instead of a 9....

Oh, everything that happened on Krypton
 5 years ago '04        #13
namean 
space
space
space
$1,482 | Props total: 0 0
*SPOILERS AHEAD*

haven't read your review yet, but to me this film could've been so much better. I didn't feel like clark was truly connected to either world. his relationship with jonathan kent seemed cold and there wasn't that genuine feeling of reunion between him and jor-el. what little scenes he had with martha were brief and mundane save for the closet scene. basically I felt like clark was mostly being talked AT by both dads. and even though Costner k!lled it, everything out of his mouth was a "you're going to change the world" cliche. "you are my son" was probably the most sincere line from him. I just wish as much time was spent on dialogue and genuine pathos as action. am I glad superman finally hit someone? fu*k yes, but the flashbacks could have been more visceral and nuanced a la batman begins. ultimately, what struck the perfect superman chord with me was the short scene at the end where jonathan watches clark play in a red cape and there are no words. I enjoyed the hell outta this movie and didn't mind all the liberties taken; I just feel like more character development and chemistry needed to be established. the "welcome back" reaction martha has upon clark's return feels more like the homecoming of a child from college, not a long estranged son. and clark never seems too distraught about jonathan's death save for in that very moment. you don't get the same lingering feeling of loss like when you watched bruce wayne lose his father, yet you should. these are all minor nitpicks though; I still rate this film very high.

final nitpick: not once was i worried that superman might lose. Shannon absolutely k!lled it, but for all his training and "destined to be a soldier since birth" nonsense, zod still got his a.ss handed to him by a scientist and a farm boy, respectively.

Last edited by namean; 06-14-2013 at 07:01 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #14
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
 mtva24 said:
Wow...I just got back myself, the movie was dope, but the story was kind of all over the place and had terrible timing...for that sole reason, I would give it a solid 8 instead of a 9....

Oh, everything that happened on Krypton
Same reason why I gave it an 8. Good movie though.

I didn't read the whole review before I posted but good review. You're definitely right about Lois Lane. I'm glad she wasn't portrayed as a helpless idiot.

Last edited by TH35; 06-14-2013 at 05:47 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #15
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 all3rd said:
Wow and I thought the Gatsby review was off at best for me was 6.5 to 7 better then Superman Returns but it really wasn't all that at all to me.
Righttt..... You're welcome to your opinion.

jiggaman85 said:
You're gettin worse... So it's a 8 but you want so bad to give it a 9.5 ....
If it deserved an 8.0, that is what I would've given it. But, I thought it was a high quality film, so I think it deserves better than an 8.0... At least, to me.

psylence2k said:
Is the Dark Knight the only other movie DaOmega gave a 9.5 to ???
I gave TDK a 10. To put in perspective, last year, I gave TDKR and The Avengers a 9.0...
 5 years ago '04        #16
!!! 220 heat pts220
space
space
$42,083 | Props total: 33894 33894
I wrote this is the MoS discussion thread:

Just got back.

Movie was solid. Russell Crowe was awesome. Michael Shannon was awesome, and Henry Cavill was very very solid as Superman. Loved the flashbacks. They gave the movie heart

My only complaint is that they over did the whole "crashing through walls" thing during the f!ght sequences.

The only thing that was missing from the movie was

8/10 at minimum.

DaOmega nails it again
 5 years ago '06        #17
Triple0 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,891 | Props total: 463 463
Wait. She actually cried? Lmao
 5 years ago '04        #18
CTre 22 heat pts22
space
space
$33,277 | Props total: 2846 2846
9.7 in my opinion. Some people just don't like Supes but I felt for my n*gga Clark every second and I love the way they lead into the sequel. #teamsupes
awesome review once again btw
 5 years ago '10        #19
ecomog 98 heat pts98
space
space
$3,206 | Props total: 395 395
9.5 in my area.

Movie was dope, and I'll definitely be seeing it a few more times.
 5 years ago '04        #20
shortz 38 heat pts38
space
space
space
$6,634 | Props total: 1569 1569
must be smoking crack acting like this is some oscar worthy acted drama..

they said henry cavill would be a superstar after this....NOPE

only thing he showed was his face body n hair were superman worthy...his emotions were cold and felt meaningless u never felt connected or was rooting for superman just felt like u was watching seeing the crazyness of the aciton...only time i felt emotion was when he was trying to keep zod from burning those people...
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
85 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
56 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
84 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
187 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
117 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy