J. Cole - “Born Sinner” | Anticipation x Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
Jeezy – American Dream (ft. Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole)
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
188 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
29 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #561
1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177
space
space
$24,901 | Props total: 1146 1146
Im losing my mind bruhs.....

still havent listened to it. I refuse to listen to it until that HQ Group Rip deluxe leaks.

my soul is hurting bruhs....my soul is hurting. a white boy finna stomp to death a innocent turtle or spit on a down syndrome having asian couple....

this wait man....
 5 years ago '05        #562
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
AOTY so far easy. His production is so underrated.
 5 years ago '05        #563
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
Villuminati
Land of the Snakes
Trouble
Runaway
She Knows
Crooked Smile
Let Nas Down
Born Sinner

5 years ago '09        #564
aziatic6 
space
space
$325 | Props total: 0 0

[tweet - click to view]

Last edited by aziatic6; 06-11-2013 at 09:49 PM..
 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM         #565
Yung Chance 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Chalky said:
"Came a man by myself, only father was time
I know she relate baby daddy ain't sh*t
So she raised that n*gga kids but she swallowing mine"

Every time this song comes on in the whip i just start driving slow as sh*t
 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM         #566
Yung Chance 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
NAH i fu*ked up

Rare triple post fu*k up

Last edited by Yung Chance; 06-11-2013 at 09:53 PM..
 06-11-2013, 09:51 PM         #567
Yung Chance 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[tweet - click to view]

got u
 5 years ago '05        #568
thaghost36 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,255 | Props total: 341 341
i will be buying this album on june 18th. i havent bought a CD in YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS but i will be supporting this amazing album.

like dude said in this thread..... 0 fillers on this album.

easily 5/5.

Now i await ..... YEEZUS.
 5 years ago '10        #569
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
great album
 5 years ago '07        #570
1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177
space
space
$24,901 | Props total: 1146 1146
still no fu*king group rip

i want to hear it
 5 years ago '11        #571
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 thaghost36 said:
i will be buying this album on june 18th. i havent bought a CD in YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS but i will be supporting this amazing album.

like dude said in this thread..... 0 fillers on this album.

easily 5/5.

Now i await ..... YEEZUS.
EDIT: Wrong thread
 5 years ago '07        #572
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6134 6134
sh*t i need that grouprip in my life. thought it would've been out by now
 5 years ago '09        #573
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,241 | Props total: 19348 19348
did the bonuses come out yet?
 5 years ago '05        #574
thaghost36 25 heat pts25
space
space
 1LynguisticMind said:
still no fu*king group rip

i want to hear it
this rip aint doing it no more quality wise.. need that itunes deluxe!
 5 years ago '05        #575
thaghost36 25 heat pts25
space
space
 Retro said:
EDIT: Wrong thread
dafuk u talkin bout son
 5 years ago '07        #576
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 194 194
Cant wait for those deluxe tracks
This album is for mature minds. After a few listens, it's easily 4/5 or 5/5.
 5 years ago '08        #577
senseispab 
space
space
$941 | Props total: 0 0
I want to like J Cole, but he's just a bit too dull, and so's this album. Little flashes of nice production, but an overall lack of rap ambition means the two spins I gave it are also the last two ill give it.
 5 years ago '05        #578
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,335 | Props total: 1687 1687
Broke down and decided to listen today. Couldn't wait any longer for the, uh, iTunes release One of the bigger Cole fans here and I let the rest of BX listen to it first tl;dr version is at the bottom. It's a long read, so scroll down to the very bottom if you want.

[pic - click to view]

I think Born Sinner sounds a lot more cohesive than CW:SS. It doesn't sound like a thoughtless pot of records. Sonically, it sounds consistent. Cole's also improved as a producer. Despite having a consistent sound, his eclectic mix of beats makes the album sound varied and diverse. I don't think the album hits a dull note at any given moment. Villuminati and Land of the Snakes are probably the strongest beats on the record. That said, they are all strong, save for maybe She Knows. That's just preference, though. The record is wholly melodic. The beautiful thing about his production is that they are driven by - and are dependent of - the content of his lyrics. They intertwine well together, creating a mesh of context for the listener. No song sounds disjointed. I'm not sure what the production credits look like, but whether or not Cole produced the beats shouldn't matter. He chose well; this is a marked improvement over the handful messy samples in CW:SS. He utilises and has a better grasp of the instruments at his disposal. Sparse yet key features only add to drive home this point. After all, vocals are, too, instruments.

I also honestly like the subject matters he's rapping about. It's not in the same vein as his mixtapes or his debut album, but keeping in line with the loose concept of the "seven sins", I can see where his songs stem from. We are all born sinners. We all make mistakes. It's how we react and respond to these mistakes that make us who we are post-birth. One of the major complaints people had about the album was that Cole spoke excessively of women and money. Well, why not? "Sins" generally are rooted in lust for women and greed for money. It's Cole's internal struggles to stay on top of these desires that tug the album back and forth. Even then, his origin of "struggle rap" is still woven into the fabric of songs like Rich N*ggaz, Land of the Snakes, Chaining Day, Runaway, the title track and even Let Nas Down. In the latter, you can hear that Cole just doesn't fully fit into the mould of a typical rapper. As people here would say, Cole doesn't have "swag" or commercial hits. Cole keeps it honest - he agrees.

I think that's why J. Cole's music is so appealing to his listeners. It's his "in this rap world, but not of it" that makes him intriguing. He's signed to Jay-Z, yet is vastly different to his mentor. He's expected to churn out hits, yet topped the charts by creating his own lane. Somehow, his own media-predicted "undoing" has been his success. He's his own creature. He refuses to be defined.

Cole has crafted a well-rounded album superior to his debut in every way. This is his Late Registration. His The Cool. I wouldn't call it a classic, but I wouldn't blame you if you, down the line, no, not a day after you heard it, find personal affinity in it.

tl;dr: A marked improvement over his debut album. He sounds more confident and steady on the boards and mic. The concept of the album doesn't feel like a gimmick, rather creating an eery ambience that propels the themes of the album forward.

Score: 9/10
 5 years ago '04        #579
focused313 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,107 | Props total: 1360 1360
 Yung Chance said:
Every time this song comes on in the whip i just start driving slow as sh*t
real sh*t. Can't think of an album that I just wanted to buy to show support. I don't care for other rappers albums, but I buy them because I love mixtapes and just the amount of material they put out. This deserves a purchase for the material, even though I don't own a cd player.
 5 years ago '08        #580
T2THEONE 859 heat pts859
space
space
$6,450 | Props total: 1678 1678
 Left Hook said:
Broke down and decided to listen today. Couldn't wait any longer for the, uh, iTunes release One of the bigger Cole fans here and I let the rest of BX listen to it first tl;dr version is at the bottom. It's a long read, so scroll down to the very bottom if you want.

[pic - click to view]

I think Born Sinner sounds a lot more cohesive than CW:SS. It doesn't sound like a thoughtless pot of records. Sonically, it sounds consistent. Cole's also improved as a producer. Despite having a consistent sound, his eclectic mix of beats makes the album sound varied and diverse. I don't think the album hits a dull note at any given moment. Villuminati and Land of the Snakes are probably the strongest beats on the record. That said, they are all strong, save for maybe She Knows. That's just preference, though. The record is wholly melodic. The beautiful thing about his production is that they are driven by - and are dependent of - the content of his lyrics. They intertwine well together, creating a mesh of context for the listener. No song sounds disjointed. I'm not sure what the production credits look like, but whether or not Cole produced the beats shouldn't matter. He chose well; this is a marked improvement over the handful messy samples in CW:SS. He utilises and has a better grasp of the instruments at his disposal. Sparse yet key features only add to drive home this point. After all, vocals are, too, instruments.

I also honestly like the subject matters he's rapping about. It's not in the same vein as his mixtapes or his debut album, but keeping in line with the loose concept of the "seven sins", I can see where his songs stem from. We are all born sinners. We all make mistakes. It's how we react and respond to these mistakes that make us who we are post-birth. One of the major complaints people had about the album was that Cole spoke excessively of women and money. Well, why not? "Sins" generally are rooted in lust for women and greed for money. It's Cole's internal struggles to stay on top of these desires that tug the album back and forth. Even then, his origin of "struggle rap" is still woven into the fabric of songs like Rich N*ggaz, Land of the Snakes, Chaining Day, Runaway, the title track and even Let Nas Down. In the latter, you can hear that Cole just doesn't fully fit into the mould of a typical rapper. As people here would say, Cole doesn't have "swag" or commercial hits. Cole keeps it honest - he agrees.

I think that's why J. Cole's music is so appealing to his listeners. It's his "in this rap world, but not of it" that makes him intriguing. He's signed to Jay-Z, yet is vastly different to his mentor. He's expected to churn out hits, yet topped the charts by creating his own lane. Somehow, his own media-predicted "undoing" has been his success. He's his own creature. He refuses to be defined.

Cole has crafted a well-rounded album superior to his debut in every way. This is his Late Registration. His The Cool. I wouldn't call it a classic, but I wouldn't blame you if you, down the line, no, not a day after you heard it, find personal affinity in it.

tl;dr: A marked improvement over his debut album. He sounds more confident and steady on the boards and mic. The concept of the album doesn't feel like a gimmick, rather creating an eery ambience that propels the themes of the album forward.

Score: 9/10
No way is this a 9 out of 10
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
71 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
197 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
84 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
23 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
19 comments
22 hours ago