most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
117 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
7338 pageviews
113 comments

X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,273 | Props total: 17733 17733
Karl Malone Makes the GOAT Starting 5, Without The GOAT

Karl Malone leaves Michael Jordan off his all-time starting five
By Eric Freeman | Ball Don't Lie – 1 hour 58 minutes ago

Many media members enjoy asking NBA legends for their takes on the greatest players in NBA history (see Phil Jackson on the player he'd pick to start his team or his take on Michael Jordan vs. Kobe Bryant). The idea is that these figures' demonstrable mastery of the highest level of basketball qualifies them to weigh in on these debates. It makes sense, because they obviously know a lot about the sport.

The problem is that their personal experiences can often get in the way of accurate analysis. On Monday, Utah Jazz Hall of Famer (and recently announced part-time coach) Karl Malone appeared on The Dan Patrick Show to discuss various hoops-oriented topics. Patrick asked for his all-time starting five, and Malone neglected to mention one fairly obvious choice who just happens to have been one of his biggest rivals. From Larry Brown Sports:

During an interview with “The Dan Patrick Show” on Monday, Malone spoke about LeBron James and some of the greatest players who have ever played the game. When asked to name his all-time starting five, Malone took John Stockton and Oscar Robertson as his guards, Wilt Chamberlain at center, LeBron at power forward and Scottie Pippen at small forward. Pippen and no Jordan — really?

“Scottie Pippen led the team in every statistical category while he was there without Michael Jordan,” Malone explained. “That’s why I have to put him there. So now you know.” [...]

Malone’s answer would be surprising if he didn’t say the exact same thing in an interview last year. For whatever reason, he loves Pippen and refuses to give Jordan the same amount of credit everyone else gives him. Toward the end of the interview, Malone also admitted that he has a “man crush” on LeBron James. If he has a crush on LeBron, he must be in love with Scottie.

All five of Malone's picks are great players, and quibbling with their selections is really just a matter of thinking one generationally amazing player is better than another. However, there's still something pretty bizarre about leaving Jordan off the list. Whenever these discussions occur, Jordan is the one player pretty much everyone agrees on, with Bill Russell as a close second. (That's the case because Malone's pick, Wilt Chamberlain, has a pretty decent argument as the greatest center ever, too, even if Russell's titles tend to give him the edge.) Yet Malone goes for The Big O instead, all while claiming that Pippen deserves inclusion because he managed to lead the Bulls in categories led by Jordan in the seasons he played. The logic is tortuous, to say the least: Pippen is on the list because he managed to match Jordan's stats without Jordan, despite the fact that Jordan put up those same stats with Pippen in the lineup.

It doesn't take a giant imaginative leap to see the Mailman's picks as informed by his experience as an also-ran to Jordan. Throughout his career, Malone was seen as second-best to Jordan, the defining player of his era. While Malone faced off with Pippen, too, they weren't placed in direct comparison to each other.

All of which is to say that Malone adds to the oft corroborated theory that the best players in the history of the NBA are not always the best judges of that same history. For all their achievements on the court, they've been known to hold grudges, demean the achievements of players who come after them, and generally allow their personal experiences to inflect their considerations. Full objectivity is always impossible in these matters, but players like Malone are particularly compromised.

visit this link Y! SPORTS

113 comments for "Karl Malone Makes the GOAT Starting 5, Without The GOAT"

5 years ago '04        #2
grydlok 38 heat pts38
space
space
$8,661 | Props total: 1184 1184
Still bitter after all these years.
 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM         #3
SeaJaiye 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that "GOAT" label is fading away quickly

2nd finals mvp next week
 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM         #4
WiltTHEGOAT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
MJ aint no fu*king goat yall d!ck riding the 80s and 90s wayyyyyyyyyy to hard

Big O >>> MJ

Wilt >>> MJ

Bill Russell > MJ

Jerry West >> MJ

Elgin Baylor >>> MJ

this is facts

MJ aint never been the goat
 5 years ago '05        #5
astroblack9 4 heat pts
space
space
$14,037 | Props total: 127 127

and i see he aint wanna pick Timmy cuz thatd be admitting he aint the greatest(all though the n*gga was a certified monster).

and seagay, forreal man? Thats like Durant never winning cuz he played with lebron and in 20 years leaving him off a team...its one mans opinion. Stop it
 5 years ago '05        #6
astroblack9 4 heat pts
space
space
 kainoa1 said:

Big O >>> MJ

Wilt >>> MJ

Bill Russell > MJ

Jerry West >> MJ

Elgin Baylor >>> MJ

this is facts

unless you 40+ please shut the fu*k up...talkin bout n*ggas d!ckriding the 80's/90's but you got n*ggas you aint never seen without gray hair and sh*t
 5 years ago '11        #7
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,342 | Props total: 8513 8513
 DSmith93 said:
fu*k jordan, where kobe ?
F*ck Kobe, wheres Vanessa?
 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM         #8
SeaJaiye 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 astroblack9 said:

and i see he aint wanna pick Timmy cuz thatd be admitting he aint the greatest(all though the n*gga was a certified monster).

and seagay, forreal man? Thats like Durant never winning cuz he played with lebron and in 20 years leaving him off a team...its one mans opinion. Stop it
wait so why does pippen always say he'd take lebron over jordan?

jordan used to be the standard, bron is here now tho. it's not 1999 anymore
 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM         #9
CS35 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SeaJaiye said:
that "GOAT" label is fading away quickly

2nd finals mvp next week
holla at ya boy when hes remotely close to 6 until then stfu
 5 years ago '05        #10
kriskross00 103 heat pts103
space
space
$18,488 | Props total: 15701 15701
 astroblack9 said:

unless you 40+ please shut the fu*k up...talkin bout n*ggas d!ckriding the 80's/90's but you got n*ggas you aint never seen without gray hair and sh*t
i hate when ppl make this argument like it isnt hard to youtube old games or watch old tapes our pops recorded..so 30 years from now someone wont be able to say mj,kobe,lebron were goats? because we wernt present when the games aired means the games never happned?
 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM         #11
WiltTHEGOAT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 astroblack9 said:

Ive beeen watching the 60s and 70s since I was 4 years old

please go sit down some where
 5 years ago '11        #12
whothebestmc 98 heat pts98
space
space
$19,604 | Props total: 9496 9496
his team actually makes sense if he is meaning for them to hypothetically play games against other all time starting 5s.

Realistically if you just did the best at each position it would look like:

magic
jordan
bird/lebron
tim duncan
shaq/wilt/kareem/hakeem

which honestly one ball wouldn't be enough for that lineup.

With his team it still is a demanding team but pippen doesn't need the ball at least

astroblack9 said:

ignore him he's an idiot trying to live in the past, wilt probably touched it(
[spoiler - click to view]

) in the 60s.

Last edited by whothebestmc; 06-04-2013 at 09:49 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #13
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,392 | Props total: 8079 8079
 06-04-2013, 09:47 PM         #14
WiltTHEGOAT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 corys35 said:
holla at ya boy when hes remotely close to 6 until then stfu
I agree

Lebron will never crack top 10 ever

5 years ago '05        #15
astroblack9 4 heat pts
space
space
 kriskross00 said:
i hate when ppl make this argument like it isnt hard to youtube old games or watch old tapes our pops recorded..so 30 years from now someone wont be able to say mj,kobe,lebron were goats? because we wernt present when the games aired means the games never happned?
and it was a different game. I dont understand why muthafu*kas love comparing ERAs. Dude came in and made jordan a top fu*king 10 player...that sh*t aint even close like that.

Its the same reason i dont compare kobe to jordan...but keep going with that old age sh*t.

watching hoop games since you were 4 means something? n*gga you prob jus learned to wipe your own a.ss and you talkin bout you understood greatness? great rebuttal
 5 years ago '04        #16
LordBlanco|M 50 heat pts50
space
space
$35,067 | Props total: 19945 19945
 kainoa1 said:
Ive beeen watching the 60s and 70s since I was 4 years old

please go sit down some where
so what year was it when you were 4 years old? 1972?

the way you only talk about the OGs of the game and dismiss any player in the 80-00's is hilarious to me.... its like they dont even matter.

I get it that the OGs dont get the credit they deserve, but chill bruh.... theres a reason people dont put em high up there because they didnt see them play and they dont want to lie to themselves... you get that right?

Last edited by LordBlanco; 06-04-2013 at 09:51 PM..
 5 years ago '08        #17
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,743 | Props total: 11629 11629
 kainoa1 said:

Big O >>> MJ

Wilt >>> MJ

Bill Russell > MJ

Jerry West >> MJ

Elgin Baylor >>> MJ

this is facts

I sincerely hate this n*gga
 06-04-2013, 09:50 PM         #18
WiltTHEGOAT 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kriskross00 said:
Truth I just come here for laughs

over 90 % on this f*gs dont have no knowledge of the game

they just post f*ggot smileys and gifs u feel me

60s and 70s >>>>

the players back then would fu*k up anybody

The NBA is filled with a bunch of overpaid pus*ys

OMGGGG BRUISED THIGH out 4 weeks

OMG I TWISTED MY ANKLE

Old school tapped that sh*t up and played

I mean fu*king Bob Pettit is a Top 10 player ever

he fu*king quit the NBA cuz he was making more $ working at the bank

fu*k outta here

bunch of 90s and 00s d!ck riders with no knowledge
 5 years ago '05        #19
astroblack9 4 heat pts
space
space
 kainoa1 said:
I agree

How can you even make that generalization?! Haha, thanks for making anything you say from here on out pointless
 5 years ago '12        #20
GucciBoy347 39 heat pts39
space
space
$10,377 | Props total: 773 773
 kainoa1 said:
I agree

stop it . He's already at the outskirts of it (like 11 or 12)
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
85 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
56 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
84 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
187 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
117 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy