It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One

most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM         #1
10191 pageviews
179 comments

HDBeatz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One

This is a crazy bit of news because it's not actually new but Sony went ahead and kind of circled everyone back around to an earlier point they made regarding used games and DRM. Hence, the company is answering new questions retroactively and confirm that the PS4 won't have any built-in blocks against used games. Put that Angry Joe rant away, because you won't need it for the PS4.

Kotaku [via Maxconsole] had a few questions about the PlayStation 4 and its used game DRM as well as always-online functionality. Kotaku contacted Sony directly and a representative for Sony pointed Kotaku back to one of their own articles, reiterating statements made by Sony's top dog studio chief, Shuhei Yoshida, where Kotaku originally published this info back in February...

At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.)

Kotaku promptly apologized to gamers for not having caught it earlier. Kind of crazy...these witch hunts, eh? You kind of lose sight of important info that nulls and voids the whole witch hunt in the first place. Ah, crazy kids.

I'm betting a lot of people are feeling awfully silly for having missed such an important piece of info buried under all that Microsoft rage. I wonder if Sony will blame gaming media for not digging through their archives the way Microsoft blamed gaming media for their executives giving out inaccurate and incomplete info?

Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam or EA used to use Online Passes).

This clears up a few things:

1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

So basically what we have here is a collage of previous statements confirming Sony's stance on the gaming market: They support you, the gamers.

Keep in mind that we're not totally in the clear regarding used game DRM for any console, including the Wii U. Third-party publishers may use the opportunity to go overboard one way or another and so, sadly, just like Master Chief and his unending f!ght with a bunch of aliens that all look alike, the f!ght isn't finished.

While I don't know if it's still necessary to keep tweeting #PS4NoDRM at Sony, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use NeoGaf's momentum to direct the attention toward third-party publishers. I doubt they'll like the sentiment because of greed and all, but so far Sony seems to be building up the PlayStation 4 to be as good a console as the PlayStation 2, barring greedy pulbishers.

And just so we can finally end this argument of comparisons: The PlayStation 4 will not have built-in used game DRM like the Xbox One. #DealWithIt

visit this link Source

Message To Xbots:

Last edited by HDBeatz; 06-01-2013 at 06:53 PM..

179 comments for "It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One"

5 years ago '05        #2
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,907 | Props total: 21063 21063
Exactly as we've been saying here all along, and exactly as I said in the other thread on here today. The real question is, what percentage of games will publishers take advantage of the DRM? It's gonna be pretty damn high. Again, what they're saying is "PS4 doesn't necessarily require an internet connection to operate, unless you want to play 80%+ of the games that are released on the console".

It's a good way to dance around the issue, but it's confusing as hell.
 5 years ago '12        #3
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,073 | Props total: 17394 17394
At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers.
This is not good news when all the major publishers have been f!ghting for this for years. It doesn't need to exist, period-point blank

Like I said in the other thread I really don't care...but to celebrate that sh*t as if its a win is so ignorant

Uplay and Origin were made by the publishers(Ubi/EA) to protect the publishers pockets...now that they can do it on consoles just means its going to get worse. This just means a small amount of games available for the system won't have it, and thats exclusives.l 85% of the sh*t you gone buy for the system will have it

Do me a favor and go look at the games Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, and Take Two Interactive Publish.....then look at your current library...pretty sure you own more games from them than anything
 5 years ago '05        #4
Chuck_Remixed 255 heat pts255
space
space
$17,126 | Props total: 3649 3649
What new did we learn here?
 5 years ago '04        #5
d2921 2850 heat pts2850
space
space
$24,537 | Props total: 5415 5415
Aleek and krazie riding Xbox to the very end
 5 years ago '05        #6
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 d2921 said:
How so? I hate this bullsh*t and would rather it not be on either system. I'm just not delusional and can read between the lines of what is actually going on here. Too many dudes acting blind to what is basically spelled out in front of them.
 5 years ago '12        #7
space
space
 Chuck_Remixed said:
This article is pretty much Kotaku admitting they didn't comprehend something that was said back in February so they took the attention off their fu*k up by making it look like it was something new
 5 years ago '12        #8
space
space
 d2921 said:
Gonna have a PS4 launch day sitting right next to my PS3. And my Xbox One will be sitting right next to my 360

You should read some of the threads I create where I keep the environment troll free and actually praise the PS4
 06-01-2013, 03:07 PM         #9
HDBeatz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Chuck_Remixed said:
Nothing. Because everyone is up to date on everything all the time.
 d2921 said:
 5 years ago '11        #10
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 ALLEEK said:
Gonna have a PS4 launch day sitting right next to my PS3. And my Xbox One will be sitting right next to my 360

You should read some of the threads I create where I keep the environment troll free and actually praise the PS4
Some of the best threads we've had in a while.
 5 years ago '05        #11
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 ALLEEK said:

Same here. Need them exclusives in my life. Hell, PS4 may get more burn than the Xbox One depending on how all this sh*t ACTUALLY pans out.
 5 years ago '11        #12
DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,713 | Props total: 3068 3068
so nothing has changed and DRM is still left up to developers?
 5 years ago '12        #13
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Some of the best threads we've had in a while.

[pic - click to view]

My n*gga
 5 years ago '12        #14
space
space
 Krazie said:
Same here. Need them exclusives in my life. Hell, PS4 may get more burn than the Xbox One depending on how all this sh*t ACTUALLY pans out.
k!llzone Shadowfall

Its amazing when you make comments praising both sides......and then a guy criticizes you like that dude just did....but HDbeatz literally posts the same Pro Sony/hate Xbox articles 10 times a week and they don't call him out on it

It must be because were black
 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM         #15
HDBeatz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ALLEEK said:

[pic - click to view]

My n*gga
 5 years ago '11        #16
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 DJ EM Double said:
so nothing has changed and DRM is still left up to developers?
Used games is up to the devs. Always online or those checks is a no go.
 06-01-2013, 03:16 PM         #17
HDBeatz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ALLEEK said:
Killzone Shadowfall

Its amazing when you make comments praising both sides......and then a guy criticizes you like that dude just did....but HDbeatz literally posts the same Pro Sony/hate Xbox articles 10 times a week and they don't call him out on it

It must be because were black
I'ma keep it 100...I wouldn't want an Xbox One if that sh*t was free.

[video - click to view]

@1:46
"I, how'd you say? Paranoid."
 5 years ago '12        #18
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,768 | Props total: 22155 22155
 Chuck_Remixed said:
That nothing.
 5 years ago '11        #19
DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,713 | Props total: 3068 3068
 Jesszman said:
Used games is up to the devs. Always online or those checks is a no go.
good

either Microsoft will pull their head out their a.ss or developers will double down and make sh*t worse either way i am fu*king tired of these threads can we put this issue to bed and move on to games and sh*t we actually like about the new consoles
 5 years ago '12        #20
space
space
 HDBeatz said:
I'ma keep it 100...I wouldn't want an Xbox One if that sh*t was free.

@1:46
"I, how'd you say? Paranoid."
I'll reply to you tomorrow when you make this thread for the 200th time
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
69 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
189 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
27 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
77 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
63 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
54 comments
23 hours ago