Man of Steel - OFFICIAL first reactions/reviews thread

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
86 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #281
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,894 | Props total: 2956 2956
the onion hated it

[tweet - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #282
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
 LicensedLegend said:
That RT rating dipped, and G Code started talking critics choice like he wasn't doing a play by play on RT. In there hitting refresh every other second until them bad reviews started coming in. Then he was like nah, .
that sh*t dipped heavy it was at 69 then a few hours later 65
 5 years ago '07        #283
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 DaOmega_1 said:
It's interesting, because the negative reviews directly contradict the positive reviews.

Like some say the action is over-the-top, while others say it's very restrained.
Some say that the characters are flat, while others say that the characters are rich and developed.

Like, it's confusing to see these critics directly contradict each other, normally it'd be that critics are in agreement on a few things, while here, it's just weird to see it so divided like this.

Either way, there should be more reviews coming soon, so I have a feeling the RT meter will balance itself out. I'll still be seeing it at midnight, so it's whatever to me.
I haven't seen the thing about the action but even the people that said they loved it talked about how the characters were undeveloped.
 5 years ago '04        #284
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,399 | Props total: 107 107
 TH35 said:
that sh*t dipped heavy it was at 69 then a few hours later 65
It dips every time we acknowledge it. It's at 64% now.
 5 years ago '05        #285
Monolith 
space
space
$690 | Props total: 8 8
I think the reviewers went in not knowing what to expect. Did they want Avengers or Dark Knight similarity? Besides, there are a lot of movies that are 80 and up on RT that are not good as well. This is one of the films where we'll have to see for ourselves.
 5 years ago '07        #286
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Bedewe22 said:
It dips every time we acknowledge it. It's at 64% now.

I'm still ready for tomorrow though. It should at the very least be entertaining.

Monolith said:
I think the reviewers went in not knowing what to expect. Did they want Avengers or Dark Knight similarity? Besides, there are a lot of movies that are 80 and up on RT that are not good as well. This is one of the films where we'll have to see for ourselves.
I don't know about a lot but yea critics don't really like Snyder that much anymore. So, they base their opinion off it being his film before they even see it.

Prime Example:
Oh Superman, what did you do to deserve Zack Snyder?

When Snyder was handed “Man of Steel,” the latest attempt to launch Superman back into the blockbuster stratosphere, comic book fans feared the ADD-afflicted director of “300” and “Watchmen” was a bad match for the most stolid of superheroes. They were right.
He speaks for all comic book fans

He's really a love/hate guy w/ them. As long as he doesn't fall into that hate range like M. Night he's alright for now.

Last edited by TH35; 06-12-2013 at 06:23 PM..
 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM         #287
DOOMage 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm only paying attention to the reviews of people I usually trust and it's all gravy baby
 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM         #288
DOOMage 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oh and it's likely the percentage is going to stay around low 60s, once they put up a general consensus review summary on RT it's usually done despite around 100 more reviews still to be posted
 5 years ago '05        #289
myword 6 heat pts
space
space
$829 | Props total: 120 120
Caught this last night. Sorry to say but as a movie it has very few merits. Yes, the action is epic and it's truly Superman as we've never seen him (in live action atleast) but the storyline is weak. As a fan of the character it's also disturbing that they decided to stray away from his established "policies". This isn't a spoiler but I'll tag it such just incase one of you thinks otherwise
[spoiler - click to view]

Anyways my full .
 5 years ago '07        #290
Daville502 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,785 | Props total: 1313 1313
 DOOMage said:
Oh and it's likely the percentage is going to stay around low 60s, once they put up a general consensus review summary on RT it's usually done despite around 100 more reviews still to be posted
So according to RT this movie is worse than Superman Returns? Not that it matters im still there friday.
 5 years ago '10        #291
Matrix 52 heat pts52
space
space
$9,508 | Props total: 48 48

[video - click to view]

The homie Jeremy Jahns was pretty positive in his review of MOS. He's one of the few Youtube movie reviewers I respect.
 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM         #292
WezLBoy Wonder 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 myword said:
Caught this last night. Sorry to say but as a movie it has very few merits. Yes, the action is epic and it's truly Superman as we've never seen him (in live action atleast) but the storyline is weak. As a fan of the character it's also disturbing that they decided to stray away from his established "policies". This isn't a spoiler but I'll tag it such just incase one of you thinks otherwise

Anyways my full .
illl stiill watch for the supreme action but yes that pisses me off in movies

5 years ago '04        #293
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
Man of Steel Preview

5/ 10

Preview by Brian Orndorf, June 13, 2013

[pic - click to view]

As the planet Krypton is about to be destroyed by its own mismanagement of natural resources, scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) decides to send his son Kal-El, the civilization’s first natural born child in centuries, to Earth for safekeeping, planting information on the boy that could regenerate Kryptonian life elsewhere. Bungling a chance to thwart Jor-El’s plan, General Zod (Michael Shannon) is imprisoned in the Phantom Zone for his crimes, swearing to find the child when his sentence is complete. Raised in Kansas by Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane), Kal-El becomes Clark (Henry Cavill), a troubled boy ordered to conceal his superpowers out of fear of humanity’s reprisal. As an adult, Clark is shadowed by Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams), who’s out to reveal the alien’s identity after a close encounter, only to develop respect and a crush on the mystery man when his purity of heart is revealed. As Clark begins to comprehend his powers with guidance from Jor-El’s consciousness, Zod reappears with devastating plans for Earth, commencing a war between the titans that threatens to destroy Smallville and Metropolis.

The director of “300” and “Watchmen,” Snyder is a visual stylist who takes greater comfort in the perfection of lighting than depth of feeling. He’s a blockbuster machine, always reaching for the most explosive alternative when it comes to the essentials of screen adventure, which makes him a controversial choice to helm “Man of Steel,” as it appears the screenplay by David S. Goyer aches to be a more sensitive creation, returning to the Superman origin story once again, retracing the steps of destruction and education that transforms Clark into Superman. It’s an air of vulnerability and compassion that Snyder doesn’t know what do with, turning potent moments of doubt, with Clark staring down a judgmental society as he struggles with his abilities, into postcards with vague human outlines, while the initial Krypton sequence feels like community theater rehearsals, not stunning fantasy film conflict. Snyder doesn’t have the width of soul for this type of material, finding himself more at home with the cynicism of “Watchmen” and its motivated hostility.

[pic - click to view]

In an intentional move to distance the production away from previous Superman features, “Man of Steel” carries a different appearance, with Krypton imagined as a Pandora playland with flying creatures, while costuming is geared towards heavy armor, with Superman’s suit more underwear than regal attire. The effort is understandable, but it’s odd to find so much rehash in the picture, with only minor differences in execution. “Man of Steel” coughs up General Zod as a villain, with his master plan to build a New Krypton on Earth; the script wanders through Clark’s growing pains with bullies and witnesses, aided by tough love from Jonathan; there’s cantankerous interplay inside the Daily Planet newsroom, with editor Perry White (a well-cast Laurence Fishburne) barking orders at Lois; and there’s the initial destruction of Krypton, where the elders doubt Jor-El’s science despite his position as the smartest man on the planet. We’ve seen these characters and situations in the other movies, only here there’s a thick layer of CGI poured everywhere, rendering environments and costumes plastic in appearance, without texture, while the cinematography targets desaturated grit over Technicolor splendor. Goyer maps out a plan to builder a bolder, deeper Superman with exposed pathos, yet he’s butterfingers with the basics, merely tweaking known elements instead of engineering a brave reinvention of the superhero and his famous world. Turning Clark into a sullen loner in a greenscreen world doesn’t reignite the franchise in the least.

Parts of “Man of Steel” work very nicely, including Adams’s necessary pep as Lois Lane, bringing womanhood to a character more complete with maturation. Adams doesn’t have much chemistry with Cavill, but she’s fine on her own, keeping Lois and her investigative pluck away from becoming a one-note damsel in distress. Also enjoyable is Crowe as Jor-El, playing both a leading mind of Krypton and an actual mind, conjured via a special key that plugs into alien technology. Crowe is expressive and measured, wisely electing stillness while Shannon goes embarrassingly DEFCON 5 as Zod, always one step behind his pedestrian dialogue. As for Cavill, he’s a handsome man, fills out the suit, and can believably throw a punch. What he can’t do is convey the awesome powers of the character, finding his Superman frustratingly blank while rolling through heat vision, super-strength, and flight, the latter being a particular letdown, absent the goosebump thrill such soaring discovery deserves -- Snyder almost seems reluctant to address the topic. I never believed a man could fly.

[pic - click to view]

Here's a user review from the same site:

And I thought Superman Returns was bad, Man of Steel is even worse.
There was no emotion nothing and didn't include the superman theme that perfectly captured superman and they replaced it by some Hans Zimmer generic score.(This guy hasn't made a good score since Regarding Henry).

D-

Last edited by Bedewe22; 06-12-2013 at 09:22 PM..
 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM         #294
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bedewe22 said:
Man of Steel Preview

5/ 10

Preview by Brian Orndorf, June 13, 2013

[pic - click to view]

As the planet Krypton is about to be destroyed by its own mismanagement of natural resources, scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) decides to send his son Kal-El, the civilization’s first natural born child in centuries, to Earth for safekeeping, planting information on the boy that could regenerate Kryptonian life elsewhere. Bungling a chance to thwart Jor-El’s plan, General Zod (Michael Shannon) is imprisoned in the Phantom Zone for his crimes, swearing to find the child when his sentence is complete. Raised in Kansas by Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane), Kal-El becomes Clark (Henry Cavill), a troubled boy ordered to conceal his superpowers out of fear of humanity’s reprisal. As an adult, Clark is shadowed by Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams), who’s out to reveal the alien’s identity after a close encounter, only to develop respect and a crush on the mystery man when his purity of heart is revealed. As Clark begins to comprehend his powers with guidance from Jor-El’s consciousness, Zod reappears with devastating plans for Earth, commencing a war between the titans that threatens to destroy Smallville and Metropolis.

The director of “300” and “Watchmen,” Snyder is a visual stylist who takes greater comfort in the perfection of lighting than depth of feeling. He’s a blockbuster machine, always reaching for the most explosive alternative when it comes to the essentials of screen adventure, which makes him a controversial choice to helm “Man of Steel,” as it appears the screenplay by David S. Goyer aches to be a more sensitive creation, returning to the Superman origin story once again, retracing the steps of destruction and education that transforms Clark into Superman. It’s an air of vulnerability and compassion that Snyder doesn’t know what do with, turning potent moments of doubt, with Clark staring down a judgmental society as he struggles with his abilities, into postcards with vague human outlines, while the initial Krypton sequence feels like community theater rehearsals, not stunning fantasy film conflict. Snyder doesn’t have the width of soul for this type of material, finding himself more at home with the cynicism of “Watchmen” and its motivated hostility.

[pic - click to view]

In an intentional move to distance the production away from previous Superman features, “Man of Steel” carries a different appearance, with Krypton imagined as a Pandora playland with flying creatures, while costuming is geared towards heavy armor, with Superman’s suit more underwear than regal attire. The effort is understandable, but it’s odd to find so much rehash in the picture, with only minor differences in execution. “Man of Steel” coughs up General Zod as a villain, with his master plan to build a New Krypton on Earth; the script wanders through Clark’s growing pains with bullies and witnesses, aided by tough love from Jonathan; there’s cantankerous interplay inside the Daily Planet newsroom, with editor Perry White (a well-cast Laurence Fishburne) barking orders at Lois; and there’s the initial destruction of Krypton, where the elders doubt Jor-El’s science despite his position as the smartest man on the planet. We’ve seen these characters and situations in the other movies, only here there’s a thick layer of CGI poured everywhere, rendering environments and costumes plastic in appearance, without texture, while the cinematography targets desaturated grit over Technicolor splendor. Goyer maps out a plan to builder a bolder, deeper Superman with exposed pathos, yet he’s butterfingers with the basics, merely tweaking known elements instead of engineering a brave reinvention of the superhero and his famous world. Turning Clark into a sullen loner in a greenscreen world doesn’t reignite the franchise in the least.

Parts of “Man of Steel” work very nicely, including Adams’s necessary pep as Lois Lane, bringing womanhood to a character more complete with maturation. Adams doesn’t have much chemistry with Cavill, but she’s fine on her own, keeping Lois and her investigative pluck away from becoming a one-note damsel in distress. Also enjoyable is Crowe as Jor-El, playing both a leading mind of Krypton and an actual mind, conjured via a special key that plugs into alien technology. Crowe is expressive and measured, wisely electing stillness while Shannon goes embarrassingly DEFCON 5 as Zod, always one step behind his pedestrian dialogue. As for Cavill, he’s a handsome man, fills out the suit, and can believably throw a punch. What he can’t do is convey the awesome powers of the character, finding his Superman frustratingly blank while rolling through heat vision, super-strength, and flight, the latter being a particular letdown, absent the goosebump thrill such soaring discovery deserves -- Snyder almost seems reluctant to address the topic. I never believed a man could fly.

[pic - click to view]

Here's a user review from the same site:

And I thought Superman Returns was bad, Man of Steel is even worse.
There was no emotion nothing and didn't include the superman theme that perfectly captured superman and they replaced it by some Hans Zimmer generic score.(This guy hasn't made a good score since Regarding Henry).

D-

This dude Brian Orndorf or whatever does reviews for Blu-Ray.com... He's fukking terrible most of the time.
 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM         #295
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Heisenberg said:
wow. i thought you would have taken Marvel's c*ck out your mouth by now. what a shame
Dude's Staning for a Comic Book Company is Sickening...

I wonder if he realizes how pathetic that sh*t comes off as.
 5 years ago '08        #296
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,114 | Props total: 23379 23379
62% with 78 reviews in
 5 years ago '10        #297
2113 36 heat pts36
space
space
$2,364 | Props total: 49 49
This movie is gonna be epic fu*k the critics!
 5 years ago '04        #298
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
 Illstreet said:
This dude Brian Orndorf or whatever does reviews for Blu-Ray.com... He's fukking terrible most of the time.
Hell yeah, but I can only believe him right now. This sh*t is crazy. We were seeing nothing but great reviews in the past few days, and then everything turned around just that quick.

06-12-2013, 10:31 PM         #299
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Maroon_Tiger said:
its the internet yall, and its only for sh*ts and giggles

it was all fun and games when iron man 3 disspointed...yall getting sensitive b/c MOS underdelivered??
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who hates Snyder and his plastic sh*tty brand of filmmaking more than me... Or had less confidence in him to deliver with this project...

And I'm not a huge Supes fan as is...

So I'm not really that suprised.
 06-13-2013, 01:07 AM         #300
Kal Tourette 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Monolith said:
The same idiots gave Ironman a 70plus and that movie was easily a 40, as well as they butchered watchmen AND 300 which were exceptional movies, but Avengers gets a 90plus? what a joke. Looks like many critics are very juvenile these days as u can see the trend. I mean TDKR got less than AVENGERS?! i mean TDKR was the weakest nolan film, but damn sure superior film quality than avengers and the critics left it in the 80% range smh

I've stopped taking them seriously with comic adaptations...They are so wonky
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
36 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
86 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy