Man of Steel - OFFICIAL first reactions/reviews thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
69 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #241
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
$13,838 | Props total: 4135 4135
 TH35 said:
Naw it could've been worse.
I agree. People get it confused with my review, they think I actively loathed it when I just merely didn't like it.......
 5 years ago '05        #242
space
space
For those who are interested, here is a live stream of the Man of Steel premiere.

5 years ago '10        #243
G Code 42 heat pts42
space
space
$6,029 | Props total: 117 117
1 for 1 fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

06-10-2013, 08:40 PM         #244
Kal Tourette 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TH35 said:
Naw it could've been worse.
yea batman and robin could have been worse too, vut what we got was still sh*t. It's like that stank v*gina that smells unfriendly and can still be twice as bad as that...doesnt mean its not bad because it could be worse...sh*t was still awful. very well produced movie on a technical scale...but, as far as an adaptation goes? garbage! Batman and Robin scale garbage. THAT disappointing imo
 5 years ago '05        #245
space
space
The emgargo lifts in FOUR minutes!
 5 years ago '10        #246
G Code 42 heat pts42
space
space
6/7 on rotten tomatoes.

86% fresh

I've seen 2 bad scores and a couple average but besides that they have been positive

edit: 8/9

89% fresh

Last edited by G Code; 06-10-2013 at 10:33 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #247
space
space
Alright... here's a round up...

As Nolan’s Batman trilogy functioned to tell a realistic story of a human superhero, “Man of Steel” does so for an inhuman one. With that mantra, “The Dark Knight” could only go so big and relied on the bravdo of actors to enliven the screen. “Man of Steel” has its fair share of talent, but with a potential to tell a truly epic tale, Snyder shoots for the heavens. He gets there.

SCORE: 8.7/10

Just watch as Cavill takes flight for the first time, smiling like a kid who’s just been thrown the keys to the world’s greatest sports car on the first morning of summer. As Hans Zimmer’s glorious score swells, he rockets over ice, desert, ocean, laughing, sharing our rush, up, up and away…

4.5/5

When the only criticism you have of a film is that there wasn’t more of it, then you know it was a truly great film. I give Man Of Steel five out of five stars, ten on a scale to ten, and a big thumbs up.

Surging with contained energy, often grim, but never oppressive, Man of Steel presents a Superman who is far less concerned with "truth, justice, and the American way" than he is with surviving to f!ght another day with as much integrity as possible, while preserving alive as many people as possible. Somehow, it still feels like a triumph of the common man over evil.

Question: If I’ve watched all the trailers and TV advertisements, have I seen the best parts of the film?

Answer: No.

Just as the symbol on Kal-El’s chest stands for hope, Man Of Steel represents the hope for this rebooted franchise. It’s a modern Superman story carving its own path free of the shackles of nostalgia, and an outstanding summer blockbuster.

4/5

Impressive as all this is, Man of Steel is not quite the perfect movie. Snyder's deployment of handheld camerawork works to create an intimacy between viewer and action, but this aesthetic jars horrendously with the 3D conversion (see in 2D if you can). Character loses focus in favor of action in the final third and there are also shades of Clark's character that go unexplored (for instance his split identity and deeper relationship with Lois). These threads are left tantalisingly open for a sequel, though. The foundations are firmly in place for what could be exciting further adventures of Superman.

4/5

Man of Steel is simultaneously bigger and smaller than you are expecting. What’s bigger? The action. Super-sizing even The Avengers, Man of Steel has more action set pieces and devastating destruction than you’ve probably ever imagined. It’s jaw-dropping, heart-pumping stuff. What’s smaller? The story. Most of the film takes places in a very condensed, focused timeline, giving it an urgency and immediacy lacking in other superhero films. A smaller narrative raises the stakes as well as the emotional complexity.

8.5/10

Action-packed, briskly-paced and featuring a stellar cast, Man of Steel is the best Superman film since the 1978 original and proves DC can match Marvel in the massive scale department. While it could have used a bit more levity, Man of Steel is nevertheless director Zack Snyder's best film to date.

9.0/10

Now, some slightly less positive reviews:

Whatever problems Man of Steel has - and it has enough to keep it from being a cohesively great movie - it has enough good to make it a must-see. Like I said up top, a couple of thousand words ago, this is the Superman movie we’ve been waiting to see. The fact that it leaves room for improvement only makes me more excited for the next one.

Trying to find depth outside of the hero is important, but Superman is supposed to be the realization of all the hard work that’s gone into his past. He’s supposed to be the product of hopes, fears, triumphs, and downfalls, but it only adds up to someone who can leap tall buildings in a single bound. When Lois asks Kal-El what the “S” emblem stands for, he responds that it’s not an “S”. He says on Krypton, it means “hope”. But in Man of Steel, it’s a symbol without a Superman.

B-

Here's an outright negative review:
At points, the action scenes even recall the hallucinogenic dream sequences from Snyder’s own crazily ambitious mental-hospital musical, “Sucker Punch,” except everyone here is supposed to be wide awake.

More to come.
 5 years ago '05        #248
space
space
MORE!

I will get right to it then. This movie was awesome. Seriously. Awesome. It didn’t quite hit me right away though.

In other words, thanks to Man of Steel, Superman has truly earned the right to have fun saving people again, precisely because his two sets of fathers — both on-screen and behind the camera — decided to take him seriously.

"Man Of Steel" is the Superman movie I've waited my whole life to see.

In the film, the most important struggle that Clark Kent aka Kal-El (Henry Cavill) has to overcome is the tension between his Kryptonian nature and his Earthly nurture. He is the last remnant of a once-vibrant race, and he is also fully human, a nice kid from Kansas. From that small description, this film spins a story so epic, so powerful, that my first viewing of it left me dizzy.

A+

MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have been waiting for. Full of action, emotion, and spectacle, this is Zack Snyder’s finest work so far, and I prefer David Goyer’s work here to his work on Nolan’s Batman films. This was the harder job, by far – to make Superman relevant again, and to give him life beyond the page. It is true to the comics, to the films, to everything we love about this character. When I dreamed of heroes as a child, dreamed of taking flight, I saw this movie in my mind’s eye. Zack Snyder has pulled from the dreams of millions of fans, and brought us something to cheer for. MAN OF STEEL soars on the winds of those visions. I imagine fans will lose their damn minds over this movie, and deservedly so. What the future holds for DC on film, I cannot know, but MAN OF STEEL lays the foundations for something quite extraordinary. I can’t wait to see what’s next.
 5 years ago '05        #249
space
space
Man of Steel doesn’t spend a great deal of time directly focusing on the next step for the franchise or giving hints about a long-rumored DC Comics Cinematic Universe (similar to the developments over at Marvel Studios), but it does something perhaps even more valuable: it sets up a fascinating and compelling tonal world that audiences will want to see Superman explore. It’s realistic in approach and honest in emotion, but also wonderfully fantastical and cinematic. The future is bright for the Man of Tomorrow.

4/5
 5 years ago '05        #250
space
space
Man of Steel doesn’t spend a great deal of time directly focusing on the next step for the franchise or giving hints about a long-rumored DC Comics Cinematic Universe (similar to the developments over at Marvel Studios), but it does something perhaps even more valuable: it sets up a fascinating and compelling tonal world that audiences will want to see Superman explore. It’s realistic in approach and honest in emotion, but also wonderfully fantastical and cinematic. The future is bright for the Man of Tomorrow.

4/5
 5 years ago '06        #251
csarvis3 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,259 | Props total: 444 444
Saw it last Wednesday. It was so good. It will make old school superman fans happy. No more gay sh*ttt
 5 years ago '04        #252
SokeSleezy 3 heat pts
space
space
$12,974 | Props total: 121 121
the key word in every review is "ACTION".... my body is not ready!!
 5 years ago '04        #253
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,890 | Props total: 2952 2952
a few rottens so far. sitting at 71%
 5 years ago '05        #254
space
space
 GodsFavorite said:
There's supposed to be more critic's screenings tonight and tomorrow. So, we'll have another batch of reviews soon enough.
 5 years ago '04        #255
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,890 | Props total: 2952 2952
 DaOmega_1 said:
There's supposed to be more critic's screenings tonight and tomorrow. So, we'll have another batch of reviews soon enough.
nice. seeing it thursday midnight regardless of the reviews anyway. good feeling about this one
 5 years ago '10        #256
G Code 42 heat pts42
space
space
 GodsFavorite said:
its got an 88 on critics choice, which I find way better than rotten tomatoes, still didn't expect it to be that low on RT
 5 years ago '04        #257
SokeSleezy 3 heat pts
space
space
$12,974 | Props total: 121 121
yea the NY screening is tonight,should be more reviews later on tonight
 5 years ago '07        #258
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
 G Code said:
its got an 88 on critics choice, which I find way better than rotten tomatoes, still didn't expect it to be that low on RT
Only been 40 reviews out of the possible 250+ that it'll end up having..
 5 years ago '09        #259
WezLFaCe_KiD 57 heat pts57
space
space
$14,832 | Props total: 1052 1052
Is on 58 in meta critic
 06-11-2013, 11:53 PM         #260
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
RT

I knew not to trust/get hype for a Snyder movie... I fukkin knew it.

I'm still gonna see it, but I knew it he would find a way to blow it. smh
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
48 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
180 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
274 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside F*ck That: Atlanta Businessman Breaks Down How Crazy Expensive Is It to..
65 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
186 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Dustin Hoffman Accused of Sexual Misconduct by 5 More Women, Includin..
36 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy