most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
16 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - The Alabama Special Election Live
403 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #121
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,726 | Props total: 2215 2215
Wow thats alot for that setup. FYI though, newegg isnt the cheapest place to get parts man. Try Microcenter or pricewatch.com you prob just be breaking 800 if you get on your bargain hunting. Plus the cpu is prob the most expensive part if you go top of the line. The best thing to do when building a rig is to do research on setups because you can save a LOT of money and build a comparable setup for lower than what they asking.
 5 years ago '04        #122
K1 68 heat pts68
space
space
space
$11,499 | Props total: 155 155
I got my mine for less. I bought it used on ebay got a steal couldn't be happier.

Spent $835 total w/ no tax and free shipping but ended up selling the G510 Keyboard and G5 Mouse it came with so I ended up only paying $720.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
GPU - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3 GB SLI Support
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6 Gb/s USB3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
HD - Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31
CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
CASE - COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
OS - Windows 8 64 bit OEM

I can now run anything on Ultra in 1920x1080
 5 years ago '04        #123
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 Swiph Mix said:
My question is how is this possible?

How is it that they can sell the console ($400-500 I'm a.ssuming) with specs that usually cost $700-$800? How are they making money here?
Typically they lose money initially on Hardware, but Sony claims that they do not intend to lose money on the PS4 from the get go which is even more puzzling.
 5 years ago '05        #124
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
 Hovi Bryant said:
Nope.

That's a ~$200 card.

The PS4's & XB1's Jaguar based CPU isn't even on the market yet.

That's a $300 CPU.

So let's just stop right there. You're over budget. Next!!!!
do you know how much microsoft and sony paid for the hardware? if the parts cost about the same as the pc parts why would they charge you the actual price, would be stupid because a lot of people would not buy the consoles

after reading more of your responses i would say you're either trolling or just like carrying on with false information..either way you must be getting some joy out of it
 5 years ago '10        #125
ldngfxguy 
space
space
$421 | Props total: 2 2
 Swiph Mix said:
My question is how is this possible?

How is it that they can sell the console ($400-500 I'm a.ssuming) with specs that usually cost $700-$800? How are they making money here?

Are they doing the Frank Lucas route and cutting the middleman while shipping parts in caskets or something ?

But for real I'm thinking of building a PC myself that will beat the next gen consoles. I just don't know where the hell to start . These $300 rigs look ok but it's nice to see that they are decent for that price.

I was looking at sites like Ibuypower and compared to actually building one of your own you can seriously cut prices.

Like KURUPTION already said, consoles manafacturers usually lose money at first until the components get cheaper or they can cut the build cost e.t.c and they are also buying parts in bulk unlike the average consumer, so they probably get a massive discount on wholesale deals.
 5 years ago '07        #126
JoeDoe22 50 heat pts50
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 230 230
I built this in December 2010...Im not going to mention the price...

i5 2500K @4Ghz
Raven RV02
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
16 GB ram
AMD 6970 (2)
23" LG 3D 120Hz monitor

Max settings all day. Still.
 5 years ago '10        #127
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676 OP
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
 Y.G. said:

What Other Applications Do You Run?

GPU-accelerated apps are becoming more common. The earliest use of GPU acceleration for consumer applications was for video transcoding. Applications such as CyberLink's Media Expresso have added support for additional graphics hardware and application programming interfaces (APIs) over time.

Photo- and video-editing applications followed. The latest version of Photoshop CS6 uses OpenGL for most of its rendering and GPU compute for accelerating the filters in the blur gallery. Musemage, developed in China, is a completely GPU-accelerated photo-editing application.

Windows 8 will use GPU acceleration in all 2D rendering, and Microsoft Office 2010 already supports graphics acceleration for Excel and PowerPoint charts. Even games use the GPU for more than just graphics--to handle accelerating physics, fluid dynamics, and special-effects calculations.

[pic - click to view]

You bring shame to the Bryant name with all the failures you accumulate.

Video and photo editing are mostly for encoding and decoding versus transcoding. This requires a high end CPU and a high quantity of fast memory. A ton of heavy lifting is required for constant switching of video frames (higher resolutions are more demanding).

A GPU is used mostly for special effects and filters which isn't rare, but this is an afterthought compared to the CPU. This again is a fact for video and photo editing. You can't go top heavy with a graphics card and skimp on the CPU and expect not to wait forever just to load and edit a large image.

Just stop. You don't edit videos. Nor have you ever used photoshop in any serious capacity. It's quite clear after this post.
 5 years ago '10        #128
space
space
 K1Entertainment said:
I got my mine for less. I bought it used on ebay got a steal couldn't be happier.

Spent $835 total w/ no tax and free shipping but ended up selling the G510 Keyboard and G5 Mouse it came with so I ended up only paying $720.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
GPU - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3 GB SLI Support
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6 Gb/s USB3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
HD - Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31
CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
CASE - COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
OS - Windows 8 64 bit OEM

I can now run anything on Ultra in 1920x1080
This is an exception because both the CPU and GPU is worth ~$500. It's not something we can replicate without some sort of luck involved.
 5 years ago '05        #129
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,630 | Props total: 13707 13707
 Hovi Bryant said:
Video and photo editing are mostly for encoding and decoding versus transcoding. This requires a high end CPU and a high quantity of fast memory. A ton of heavy lifting is required for constant switching of video frames (higher resolutions are more demanding).

A GPU is used mostly for special effects and filters which isn't rare, but this is an afterthought compared to the CPU. This again is a fact for video and photo editing. You can't go top heavy with a graphics card and skimp on the CPU and expect not to wait forever just to load and edit a large image.

Just stop. You don't edit videos. Nor have you ever used photoshop in any serious capacity. It's quite clear after this post.
Are still tryin to defend your point? This dummy just can't admit when he's wrong.

Not only do I transcode video all the time using GPU acceleration, but PC World also states that photo- and video-editing are GPU accelerated. Hell, Musemage is entirely GPU accelerated. But let you tell it, GPU acceleration doesn't exist for photo- or video-editing. You're really f*ckin up Kobe's last name.
 5 years ago '10        #130
space
space
 Y.G. said:
Are still tryin to defend your point? This dummy just can't admit when he's wrong.

Not only do I transcode video all the time using GPU acceleration, but PC World also states that photo- and video-editing are GPU accelerated. Hell, Musemage is entirely GPU accelerated. But let you tell it, GPU acceleration doesn't exist for photo- or video-editing. You're really f*ckin up Kobe's last name.
I can't believe I'm debating with a fool for this long.

Transcoding requires a GPU.
Encoding and Decoding requires a CPU.

You're encoding video 98% of the time. That's easy talk for you.

CPU processor power, RAM memory, hard drive storage, graphics card, and your LCD monitor are the five most important hardware features to look for in an editing computer. The Central Processing Unit (CPU) has evolved from the early single core Intel Pentium to the current multi-core Intel i5/ i7 models. The i5/7-series CPUs are best for video editing because they make your editing software run at top speed. This is critically important when it comes to the "rendering" stage- creating the final form of video, including any visual effects, transitions, titles, etc. Without the fastest CPU running, this final step would be excruciatingly slow!
 5 years ago '10        #131
space
space
Edited the OP. Found out the XB1/PS4 CPU is comparable to an i3 CPU in terms of raw power. Doesn't mean that it's weak. It has the potential to compete with higher end CPU's depending how developers optimize for the consoles.

This may not be saying much. Whatever tricks devs use for console CPU's can most likely be harnessed by desktops, further accelerating their speed.
 5 years ago '05        #132
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 Hovi Bryant said:
I can't believe I'm debating with a fool for this long.

Transcoding requires a GPU.
Encoding and Decoding requires a CPU.

You're encoding video 98% of the time. That's easy talk for you.

So I guess you're just going to ignore this?

The latest version of Photoshop CS6 uses OpenGL for most of its rendering

[pic - click to view]

or this

Musemage, developed in China, is a completely GPU-accelerated photo-editing application.

[pic - click to view]

Photoshop CS6 = GPU-accelerated rendering

Musemage = entirely GPU-accelerated photo editor

Hovi Bryant = failure

5 years ago '10        #133
space
space
 Y.G. said:
So I guess you're just going to ignore this?

The latest version of Photoshop CS6 uses OpenGL for most of its rendering

[pic - click to view]

or this

Musemage, developed in China, is a completely GPU-accelerated photo-editing application.

[pic - click to view]

Photoshop CS6 = GPU-accelerated rendering

Musemage = entirely GPU-accelerated photo editor

Hovi Bryant = failure

No need to. What you're posting is not the standard at all whatsoever. You keep highlighting what are considered optional by MOST if not EVERYONE. GPU's can provide extra power to offload an already maxed out CPU.

I can say from experience that CS6 is very well threaded and seems to take advantage of 8 available treads reasonably well. Since Photoshop developers had historically used high end (often multi-socket) workstations this is nothing new. For Photoshop I would say a good i7 should be more than enough as most of your gains will come from RAM, Storage I/O and (to a lesser extent) GPU performance.
1. Photoshop is more CPU intensive than GPU, though they are both taxed
Photoshop: Heavy CPU usage when applying filters or rendering or exporting, GPU for some advanced features, it uses a lot of RAM when you have an image with lost of layers or massive resolution.
You don't need a high end GPU for photo or video editing. The idea is asinine in every way imaginable. Go to any tech forum and spew this nonsense. You'd be eaten alive. If anything, you can go fu*k around with those Nvida Quadro cards that excel here but are TERRIBLE for anything else.

You keep cherry picking information trying to prove someone wrong. It's what's wrong with this section. You look at one part of an image and try to judge the whole thing. Your logic behind this argument is severely flawed.
 5 years ago '05        #134
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,376 | Props total: 8056 8056
this dude wont shut up for once
 5 years ago '05        #135
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 TattooedMPsz said:
this dude wont shut up for once
The guy refuses to accept that he has failed.
 5 years ago '10        #136
space
space
 Y.G. said:
The guy refuses to accept that he has failed.
That's the best that you could come up with? Or do you need more education?

Let me know when you decide to actually listen son.

Because that guy ain't talkin to me.
 5 years ago '05        #137
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,079 | Props total: 10755 10755
comparable to an i3 in raw power?
 5 years ago '10        #138
space
space
 P-Hill said:
comparable to an i3 in raw power?
Pretty low.
 5 years ago '05        #139
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 Hovi Bryant said:
No need to. What you're posting is not the standard at all whatsoever. You keep highlighting what are considered optional by MOST if not EVERYONE. GPU's can provide extra power to offload an already maxed out CPU.

You don't need a high end GPU for photo or video editing. The idea is asinine in every way imaginable. Go to any tech forum and spew this nonsense. You'd be eaten alive. If anything, you can go fu*k around with those Nvida Quadro cards that excel here but are TERRIBLE for anything else.

You keep cherry picking information trying to prove someone wrong. It's what's wrong with this section. You look at one part of an image and try to judge the whole thing. Your logic behind this argument is severely flawed.
This failure went from saying you can't use tthe GPU in video or photo editing to admitting that you can. Jaysus, just give up. And nobody said anything about using a high end card but you, dummy.

Let's see what Tom's Hardware has to say about GPU acceleration in Photoshop:

Again, with no hardware-based support, Intel’s Core i5 puts in a remarkably fine showing, losing out only to our FX/Radeon HD 7970 configuration. But with GPU-based OpenGL enabled, we see performance increase by roughly 200% to 500%. Surprisingly, our A8/APU config turns in the best GPU-accelerated time, and we did not see the same sort of scaling expected when we moved to testing on the Radeon HD 7970.

[pic - click to view]

PC World and Tom's Hardware both say video- and photo-editing are possible. Tom's hardware even claimed a 200% - 500% increase in performance with GPU-acceleration. Failure Bryant, wrap it up breh. Take that L and go home.
 5 years ago '10        #140
space
space
 Y.G. said:
This failure went from saying you can't use tthe GPU in video or photo editing to admitting that you can. Jaysus, just give up. And nobody said anything about using a high end card but you, dummy.

Let's see what Tom's Hardware has to say about GPU acceleration in Photoshop:

Again, with no hardware-based support, Intel’s Core i5 puts in a remarkably fine showing, losing out only to our FX/Radeon HD 7970 configuration. But with GPU-based OpenGL enabled, we see performance increase by roughly 200% to 500%. Surprisingly, our A8/APU config turns in the best GPU-accelerated time, and we did not see the same sort of scaling expected when we moved to testing on the Radeon HD 7970.

[pic - click to view]

PC World and Tom's Hardware both say video- and photo-editing are possible. Tom's hardware even claimed a 200% - 500% increase in performance with GPU-acceleration. Failure Bryant, wrap it up breh. Take that L and go home.

You don't even know what you're posting at this point.

Let me re-iterate this as simple as possible for you.

Adobe CS6, along with other photo and video editors rely on the CPU before the GPU.

Everything you have posted til this point is OPTIONAL. Not required. Not recommended.

This is what ADOBE recommends to anyone interested with the CS6 suite.

They recommend a "standard video card" for a "good" multimedia machine. Even a "better" one. However, you look at what they suggest for the CPU.

A dual 8 core CPU for the "best".

Let's look elsewhere. This is what Adobe's community suggests.

Windows

Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required as bare minimum. Intel quad core or better recommended.
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit)
4GB of RAM as bare minimum. (8GB or more recommended)
4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
1280x900 display
OpenGL 2.0–capable system
Separate 7200 RPM hard drive in addition to the boot disk (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 or parity raid configured, recommended)
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
This software will not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.* Phone activation is not available.

Let's see what the media would recommend.

To build the "Ultimate" Photoshop system you will need to choose four components carefully. These are:

A fast, quad-core processor
Lots of RAM
Lots of big, fast hard drives
A graphics card that supports GPU-acceleration found in Photoshop CS6

Not satisfied? Here's the GPU that anyone recommends if you're that hell bent on using one for editing.

Graphics card

Photoshop CS6 features a new Mercury Graphics Engine, and this comes equipped with a number of GPU-accelerated tools, including blur effects, liquify effects, and adaptive wide-angle effects. To make use of these GPU-accelerated tools you will need a system kitted out with a graphics card from the NVIDIA Quadro lineup, something you won't find in a standard system.

At the high-end these Quadro graphics cards become super expensive, with a Quadro 6000 setting you back $4,000. Thankfully, you don't need a high-end card to power the new features found in Photoshop CS6 and we can make do with something more modest, such as the Quadro 2000.
How much is that modest Quadro 2000? $350-$400 for a GPU that completely sucks at gaming in every way.

You keep cherry picking information and you're just making yourself look like an idiot every step along the way.
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
51 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
220 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
148 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
194 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
323 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
151 comments
24 hours ago