Deep! How much money do rappers REALLY have compared to the Global Elite?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
228 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
105 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
159 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #61
ChokeHold 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,971 | Props total: 23 23
 Sekhem said:
Considering how much more the global elite has done for the world than rappers, it's actually surprising to see they're not worth THAT much more than rappers. John Schnatter created a huge chain of pizza restaurants from the ground up and is barely worth more than Diddy.

They're still expanding heavy though, here in NYC area i don't think they've been established for more than 5 years as a serious competitor for Dominoes and Pizza Hut. Now they're dominating the market. i'm sure at one time diddy had more money than him but his yearly rate of income is outpacing diddy's by a landslide. the gap will only continue to get bigger.
 5 years ago '06        #62
pa_general 134 heat pts134 OP
space
space
$6,856 | Props total: 557 557
 Aurora said:
Could you imagine...

You will have to work 5000 lifetimes to catch up w/ the .1%

Lol I can't
 5 years ago '04        #63
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,786 | Props total: 1794 1794
 Dos-effect said:
Is a record label a business? Def Jam? Bad Boy? DTP? These are all business's that started on the ground level. Business that were all nurtured from the dollar of the those who started the business. All a record company can offer is distribution to an already established artist or label. These are legitimate businesses but like I was saying and what your proving is starting a lable is not looked at person with a dream starting a buisness its looked at as another rapper starting another lable. The stipulation is that lable that helped to solidify that artist into the the limelight is somehow less of a hustle then Bill Gates. When both ideas could have had the same 2 results, either wildly successful, or sadly unsuccessful. Both companies required the same sort of business acumen and dedication. Your saying that once these lables begin blowing up they are matched with some big budget corporation that pretty much aligns the stars for them, that's just not the case. Russel Simmons wasn't approached to start a clothing line, he had a vision that is where he wanted to go and completed that vision through hard work and innovation....of course Phat Farm clothing is no longer marketable, Simmons innovated the music world with the idea of product placement (how many artist today have perfumes lines), another example is no big time corporation approached 50 with vitamin water.....he saw the potentional of the drink and put his own money behind it....and with his business acumen helped to push the product to become what it is today........all this is more then just some rappers who worked hard only to be a.ssisted by big time endorsment ...for Puffy and 50 their endorsment of other peoples products have gotten more money.....in that aspect Puffy and 50 are the corporations investing into the people doing the business with.

Your stance point is a Jay Z cannot be compared to a Bill Gates because Bill did it with no help(which is not true, Bill also needed big corporation money to get Microsoft off the ground as most major business's do)......my position is both gentleman are extremely intelligent and deserve the same respect in their own rights. Bill Gates may have more money, but that is only because his invention was more innovative then anything Jay Z has to offer.........but in the same sense Bill Gates could not matter Jay's hustle because Jay exist on 2 levels of the buissness world and the streets.
All the labels you named are all subsidiaries under the larger parent companies that basically created them. Most of them were corporate inceptions from their very birth. The only label that could somewhat say otherwise was Def Jam. Def Jam was started by Rick Rubin who isn't a rapper, he gets credit for creating the small little imprint that was Def Jam at the time, but he didn't grow it , he didn't work it into long term prominence by himself. He was fired from his own label in 1988 and then Def Jam almost shut down in 1994 until Universal stepped in and bought it.

The difference between these subsidiary labels and the companies of these entrepreneurs you're comparing them to is that nobody owns the companies of these larger entrepreneurs. Microsoft isn't owned by a bigger company, Apple isn't owned by a bigger company, Papa John's isn't owned by a bigger company, etc. These are all companies that maintained their independence from their inception to their current prominence. Their founders worked them from scratch and stuck with them and lead them into prominence where they still stand today.

Your other examples only help my point. 50 didn't create Energy Brands/Glaceau (the company that makes Vitamin Water) he simply bought stock in it. That makes him an investor not an entrepreneur. One obviously requires more work than the other. He had nothing to do with the creation or running of that company. Russell isn't a rapper, he's a businessman , has been from the beginning. So Phat Farm isn't really a creation from a rapper but it isn't really a "from scratch" creation either being that Russell as an investor pitched the idea to Kellwood Company which is a large fashion company that designs, manufactures, and markets all of the clothing. Once again Russell was just an investor and a face used by a larger corporation.

The bottom line is that these rappers are talents that are picked up and utilized by larger corporations. Why do you think these artists have called themselves slaves and compared the music industry to tenant farming or share cropping ?? because somebody else owns the company and gets the lion's share of the profit. Essentially these rappers are hoes being pimped. Then once they get popular enough on the block they start doing work for other pimps (other corporations) that pay them for their services to make them money. These entrepreneurs that STARTED, WORKED, and OWN these multi billion dollar companies are the real pimps.

I'm not trying to knock these rappers and say they didn't do anything at all, They did a lot, they did AMAZING things. All I'm saying is, don't compare the hoes to the pimps.

Last edited by psylence2k; 05-28-2013 at 03:17 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #64
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$17,724 | Props total: 4479 4479
Captain Obvious........thanks for the info
 5 years ago '10        #65
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
 psylence2k said:
I'm not saying rappers don't do ANY work at all, they still have to write songs,do shows, sit in meetings, and agree to business deals, but you can't compare that to the type of work that these entrepreneurs who single handedly built these empires from scratch did. You can't compare their hustles because one was built from the ground up, while the other was a partnership where the financial capital for the operation was fronted by a multi-million or multi-billion dollar corporation as well as the marketing, manufacturing, and retail labor force to push the product.

I also don't know why you're using this whole "they view them as morons" thing as a point. The people that see rappers as morons are ones that aren't their main consumers anyway. Everyone who listens to their music and companies who share those target audiences actually look at their name recognition as an a.sset. If you're selling X amount of records and have songs on the radio , nobody cares if you're a moron or not, they just know your face and name can help sell their venture. It's actually the opposite of what you're saying. Instead of having to prove the quality of their product, they have millions of people that will buy a rapper's shoe, drink, clothing line off the name alone. A public figure/celebrity already has an advantage in that sense over a regular guy off the street who wants to start selling the same product.

At the end of the day, you also have to admit that the main reason why these guys are able to do all these business ventures they've done is because of the brand/entity/name that they've established through being a rapper which goes back to the original partnership they had with the label. Most of these companies are using these rappers for their marketing power not their business expertise. The one business skill that rappers are mostly used for is generating hype around something with their name.

You want these artists or any celebrity figure to get the same type of credit these entrepreneurs do ?? Tell them to build a company from scratch without a.ssociating their name or face to it AT ALL. Have them work behind the scenes, build it from the ground up, and make that company a success in the long run without any major outside help. The fact that they have millions of dollars at their disposal already gives them an advantage over people that started these empires in a garage with a couple hundred dollars.

No one is trying to discredit rappers , but at the same time I'm not trying to hear people overrate them and put them next to people who built an multi-billion dollar empire with little or no help.
You wrong... Dos-effect is right.... get over it
 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM         #66
Nasty Neighbor 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SMBNYC said:
hurts my soul that master p is even anywhere on that jpeg lol
master p used to be richer than all of them n*ggas
 5 years ago '04        #67
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,288 | Props total: 11209 11209
Papa John got Birdman beat by 450 mil...

We need a Papa John smiley.
 5 years ago '05        #68
phil_8705 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,133 | Props total: 866 866
if someone gonna make this dumbass comparison they could have at least have drawn the graph to scale ..stupid sh*t
 5 years ago '04        #69
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Account001 said:
You wrong... Dos-effect is right.... get over it
 5 years ago '10        #70
rdrake 28 heat pts28
space
space
$7,321 | Props total: 421 421
how much op has compared
 5 years ago '05        #71
CTR 376 heat pts376
space
space
$2,976 | Props total: 5 5
This is the worse infographic I've ever seen
The scale is all messed up
 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM         #72
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CTR said:
This is the worse infographic I've ever seen
The scale is all messed up
It isn't supposed to spread info it's supposed to belittle the accomplishments of rappers and establish the superiority of the group of people who make up the elite. Really it's saying our avenues for success>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your avenues for success.
 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM         #73
Kushton Slater 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
I mean off the chart alone you have Mark Cuban who lived in apartment dirt broke with 6 other guys and didn't even have a room but just a "corner" of the place where he kept a pile of his dirty clothes before he started grinding to where he's at.

Steve jobs was a vagabond sleeping on college dorm room floors and recycling coke cans for food money.

Then you have John Paul Dejoria who grew up in a Foster Home, was homeless most of his young adult life while working as janitor until he started his company and now sits on $4 Billion.

David Murdock was a 9th grade dropout who became homeless before he started his business and is currently around $3 Billion.

Thomas Petterfy was an immigrant who couldn't even speak English and now he has $5 Billion

Howard Schultz grew up poor in housing projects in Brooklyn and has a couple billion now.

What about J.K. Rowing, who was on Welfare and as broke as you can be in England writing Harry Potter on napkins and hit a Billion ??

and I know more and more stories just like those. There are alot of these billionaire stories of people who started out in foster homes, single parents houses, homeless, immigrants who couldn't even speak English. Alot of them make most rapper's upbringings look "decent".

Then you have the billionaires who are from third world countries, IMO those are some of the most impressive people in the world because they really truly started from the bottom because they didn't have the benefit of primed democratic capitalistic society like ours.

You guys need to really get outta just isolating yourself to hip hop and gather information from other parts of the world to expand your knowledge and broaden your perspective.

I'm not trying to knock rappers , what they do is AMAZING, but you guys need to stop acting like they're the only ones that come from the bottom. There are people that start off worse than most of them and go on to become Billionaires.

I consider those people true entrepreneurs because they didn't need the help of a major corporation to accumulate the vast majority of their wealth only for that same company to take most of their profits. We gotta call a spade a spade here.

If we're talking about starting from the bottom in terms of work and not just wealth, I can't really put rappers amongst those other people because most rappers eventually get picked up by a major corporation who takes care of most of the "business" behind making them a success.

These other entrepreneurs that are being named damn near built the whole thing from the ground up with these huge corporate conglomerates backing them and holding their hand damn near the entire way.
You make a lot of valid points, but the highlighted part aint true. Most billionaires from Latin America come from old money from back in the colonial days.
 5 years ago '04        #74
jtt11219 
space
space
space
$805 | Props total: 0 0
How about rappers vs athletes. Business owners vs musicians is too easy...
 5 years ago '10        #75
keezy504 18 heat pts18
space
space
$3,404 | Props total: 1771 1771
How we gont act like Diddy ain't richer than that Papa Johns n*gga.
 5 years ago '07        #76
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,373 | Props total: 13027 13027
terrible chart. they make $500 mil look like it's a third of $73 billion . if they actually had a proper scale, it would be even more hilarious.
 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM         #77
chitilla23 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that infographic sucks -
 5 years ago '10        #78
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
 Patrick Galooly said:
It isn't supposed to spread info it's supposed to belittle the accomplishments of rappers and establish the superiority of the group of people who make up the elite. Really it's saying our avenues for success>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your avenues for success.
Pretty much... no matter how good your presentation skills are, how great, innovative, or ready for the world your idea is. if you black, you aint getting that check bruh bruh.... We still need to listen to Thurgood speech (oan: why the fu*k is google telling me Thurgood is spelled wrong)
 5 years ago '06        #79
pa_general 134 heat pts134 OP
space
space
$6,856 | Props total: 557 557
 joshdogg26 said:
terrible chart. they make $500 mil look like it's a third of $73 billion . if they actually had a proper scale, it would be even more hilarious.
that's fu*ked up
 5 years ago '04        #80
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Kushton Slater said:
You make a lot of valid points, but the highlighted part aint true. Most billionaires from Latin America come from old money from back in the colonial days.
The billionaires from third world countries comment ?? I dont know if most of them are from scratch or inherited. All I do know is that there are some who worked into and earned their wealth.

Those are the ones that are most impressive to me overall. I dont know how that isn't true ?? I never said most 3rd world country billionaires are not inherited....

I did say most of the billionaires today are not inherited but I think I might've messed up and not clarified that it was just the billionaires in the U.S.

There are alot of foreign self-made billionaires alive right now, I dunno if they're the majority though but they could be.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
57 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
18 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
17 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Sony drops the price of PSVR bundles by $100 for the holidays
30 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
101 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
102 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy