Deep! How much money do rappers REALLY have compared to the Global Elite?

most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
60 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
17 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
62 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
48 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #41
pa_general 134 heat pts134 OP
space
space
$6,857 | Props total: 557 557
 psylence2k said:
This is incorrect, over 80% of the billionaires currently in the world didn't inherit their wealth.

In a way it is, but I wouldnt consider being a rapper the purest form of entrepreneurship, At the end of the day most of these rappers needed major labels to blow up and answer to other people and have bosses. They often dont even see the bigger part of the profit of their work, even when they branch out to non-music ventures. Even the ones who venture out and do big business still answer to other people. When you can be dropped by companies, have your album shelved, be told what to do artistically, and every dollar you make , makes another man $2, then I dont really know if you can call that a true entrepreneur. Why do you think these rappers or musicians period have been calling themselves slaves all these years ??

A good amount of them did though, at least half on that chart did
Excellent post...
 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM         #42
Nasty Neighbor 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
This is incorrect, over 80% of the billionaires currently in the world didn't inherit their wealth.

In a way it is, but I wouldnt consider being a rapper the purest form of entrepreneurship, At the end of the day most of these rappers needed major labels to blow up and answer to other people and have bosses. They often dont even see the bigger part of the profit of their work, even when they branch out to non-music ventures. Even the ones who venture out and do big business still answer to other people. When you can be dropped by companies, have your album shelved, be told what to do artistically, and every dollar you make , makes another man $2, then I dont really know if you can call that a true entrepreneur. Why do you think these rappers or musicians period have been calling themselves slaves all these years ??

A good amount of them did though, at least half on that chart did
jay-z: marcy projects
master p: calliope projects
baby: valence & magnolia
50 cent: jamaica queens

don't know about diddy or dr dre but did any of those billionaires really live in public housing or really struggle up until their 20s? being some normal everyday white dude then striking gold isn't exactly starting from the bottom
 5 years ago '07        #43
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,916 | Props total: 574 574
compare the money rappers make to you what u make

after that delete this thread
 5 years ago '11        #44
Teknishen04 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,365 | Props total: 238 238
 DoubleD said:
those rappers aint bragging to oprah, they bragging to you and me
This^^^
 5 years ago '06        #45
space
space
 Root Of Evil said:
compare the money rappers make to you what u make

after that delete this thread

Typical salty Boxden reply...when ego hurt, go on defensive.
 5 years ago '04        #46
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,815 | Props total: 1849 1849
 YI-Drizzy said:
jay-z: marcy projects
master p: calliope projects
baby: valence & magnolia
50 cent: jamaica queens

don't know about diddy or dr dre but did any of those billionaires really live in public housing or really struggle up until their 20s? being some normal everyday white dude then striking gold isn't exactly starting from the bottom
I mean off the chart alone you have Mark Cuban who lived in apartment dirt broke with 6 other guys and didn't even have a room but just a "corner" of the place where he kept a pile of his dirty clothes before he started grinding to where he's at.

Steve jobs was a vagabond sleeping on college dorm room floors and recycling coke cans for food money.

Then you have John Paul Dejoria who grew up in a Foster Home, was homeless most of his young adult life while working as janitor until he started his company and now sits on $4 Billion.

David Murdock was a 9th grade dropout who became homeless before he started his business and is currently around $3 Billion.

Thomas Petterfy was an immigrant who couldn't even speak English and now he has $5 Billion

Howard Schultz grew up poor in housing projects in Brooklyn and has a couple billion now.

What about J.K. Rowing, who was on Welfare and as broke as you can be in England writing Harry Potter on napkins and hit a Billion ??

and I know more and more stories just like those. There are alot of these billionaire stories of people who started out in foster homes, single parents houses, homeless, immigrants who couldn't even speak English. Alot of them make most rapper's upbringings look "decent".

Then you have the billionaires who are from third world countries, IMO those are some of the most impressive people in the world because they really truly started from the bottom because they didn't have the benefit of primed democratic capitalistic society like ours.

You guys need to really get outta just isolating yourself to hip hop and gather information from other parts of the world to expand your knowledge and broaden your perspective.

I'm not trying to knock rappers , what they do is AMAZING, but you guys need to stop acting like they're the only ones that come from the bottom. There are people that start off worse than most of them and go on to become Billionaires.

I consider those people true entrepreneurs because they didn't need the help of a major corporation to accumulate the vast majority of their wealth only for that same company to take most of their profits. We gotta call a spade a spade here.

If we're talking about starting from the bottom in terms of work and not just wealth, I can't really put rappers amongst those other people because most rappers eventually get picked up by a major corporation who takes care of most of the "business" behind making them a success.

These other entrepreneurs that are being named damn near built the whole thing from the ground up with these huge corporate conglomerates backing them and holding their hand damn near the entire way.

Last edited by psylence2k; 05-28-2013 at 11:39 AM..
 5 years ago '07        #47
Sleazy 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,560 | Props total: 307 307
^Truth. A lot of you are trying to discredit these guys. Only on Boxden though.

But but but but jay z is from hood!!!
 5 years ago '06        #48
space
space
 psylence2k said:
I mean off the chart alone you have Mark Cuban who lived in apartment dirt broke with 6 other guys and didn't even have a room but just a "corner" of the place where he kept a pile of his dirty clothes before he started grinding to where he's at.

Steve jobs was a vagabond sleeping on college dorm room floors and recycling coke cans for food money.

Then you have John Paul Dejoria who grew up in a Foster Home, was homeless most of his young adult life while working as janitor until he started his company and now sits on $4 Billion.

David Murdock was a 9th grade dropout who became homeless before he started his business and is currently around $3 Billion.

Thomas Petterfy was an immigrant who couldn't even speak English and now he has $5 Billion

Howard Schultz grew up poor in housing projects in Brooklyn and has a couple billion now.

What about J.K. Rowing, who was on Welfare and as broke as you can be in England writing Harry Potter on napkins and hit a Billion ??

and I know more and more stories just like those. There are alot of these billionaire stories of people who started out in foster homes, single parents houses, homeless, immigrants who couldn't even speak English. Alot of them make most rapper's upbringings look "decent".

Then you have the billionaires who are from third world countries, IMO those are some of the most impressive people in the world because they really truly started from the bottom because they didn't have the benefit of primed democratic capitalistic society like ours.

You guys need to really get outta just isolating yourself to hip hop and gather information from other parts of the world to expand your knowledge and broaden your perspective.

I'm not trying to knock rappers , what they do is AMAZING, but you guys need to stop acting like they're the only ones that come from the bottom. There are people that start off worse than most of them and go on to become Billionaires.

I consider those people true entrepreneurs because they didn't need the help of a major corporation to accumulate the vast majority of their wealth only for that same company to take most of their profits. We gotta call a spade a spade here.

If we're talking about starting from the bottom in terms of work and not just wealth, I can't really put rappers amongst those other people because most rappers eventually get picked up by a major corporation who takes care of most of the "business" behind making them a success.

These other entrepreneurs that are being named damn near built the whole thing from the ground up with these huge corporate conglomerates backing them and holding their hand damn near the entire way.
This is the realest post in this entire thread. I couldn't of said things better myself. Rap fans are extremely narrow minded and ignorant to other accomplishments of very successful people.

They think people like "Diddy" are the end all be all of success when there's a whole wide world of other successful black people out there.

And like dude above said, some of these guys come from conditions worse than hip-hops elite.
 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM         #49
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
money does not =/= power tho

[pic - click to view]

pope aint on there but he runnin billions
 5 years ago '04        #50
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Peterparker said:
the hell are you talking about a billion is a lot more then a million.

And who said 80% of billionaires started out from the bottom?? Where the hell you come up with that number? Based off 6 billionaires posted on the chart sheet?

You know how many billionaires there are on this planet that come from wealthy families? Majority of billionaires on this planet are inherited. Not to mention some of those billionaires came from families who were financially better off then the broken homes alot of these rappers came from.

this article is from 2011, it has it at 70% two years ago.

The Forbes 400 gets more meritocratic over time. An all-time high 70% of this year’s list are self-made, up from 55% in 1997.
Everyone in the Top 400 has at least $1.05 Billion

I read in either Fortune over Forbes earlier this year that it's closer to 80% now

Last edited by psylence2k; 05-28-2013 at 12:17 PM..
 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM         #51
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:

All true with the exception that your making it seem that once rappers hit mainstream they just coast into in the limelight with their money stacking and they nothing to insure that it stacks. Diddy is not just a rapper(in fact he never was), nor is Jay, 50, Luda, or Dre, these cats are enterpenuers who did start from the bottome with a hope and a dream, and through various different bussiness outlets amassed their wealth. Ive seen so many people label them as "these rappers" these guys are not just rappers, while they may have gotten started as a rap star.....its their business acumen that has put them in the position they are, and that should be respected also........there is nothing wrong with respecting the hustle of Bill Gates and at the same time respect the hustle of Shawn Carter.........but you cant compare their hustles because with Jay his hustle is so limited because he has to overcome so many stipuations of what it is to be a rapper....its like a majority of consumers see this guys as morons who are only there to entertain, so when artist who are smarter then your average person, find new and innovative ways market their brand, its often approached as some random rapper who is trying to get money, instead of a business man who is approaching a new venture.........No other form of entertainment has that type of stipulation towards it , just hiphop........Black males are just not looked at as not smart or able to transition, I mean isn't that why this thread was made? In a attempt to discredit rap artist with a realistic view of wealth in comparison?
 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM         #52
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The bottom for these guys isn't comparable to the bottom for the rappers though. Yeah I went through some tough times where I had to share a home with a lot of other people. We still weren't in the projects though where you can be standing on your porch and have something bad happen to you.
This thread just seems like it's purpose is to denigrate and belittle these people's accomplishments which is some hating a.ss sh*t.
 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM         #53
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dos-effect said:
All true with the exception that your making it seem that once rappers hit mainstream they just coast into in the limelight with their money stacking and they nothing to insure that it stacks. Diddy is not just a rapper(in fact he never was), nor is Jay, 50, Luda, or Dre, these cats are enterpenuers who did start from the bottome with a hope and a dream, and through various different bussiness outlets amassed their wealth. Ive seen so many people label them as "these rappers" these guys are not just rappers, while they may have gotten started as a rap star.....its their business acumen that has put them in the position they are, and that should be respected also........there is nothing wrong with respecting the hustle of Bill Gates and at the same time respect the hustle of Shawn Carter.........but you cant compare their hustles because with Jay his hustle is so limited because he has to overcome so many stipuations of what it is to be a rapper....its like a majority of consumers see this guys as morons who are only there to entertain, so when artist who are smarter then your average person, find new and innovative ways market their brand, its often approached as some random rapper who is trying to get money, instead of a business man who is approaching a new venture.........No other form of entertainment has that type of stipulation towards it , just hiphop........Black males are just not looked at as not smart or able to transition, I mean isn't that why this thread was made? In a attempt to discredit rap artist with a realistic view of wealth in comparison?
Exactly.
 5 years ago '06        #54
space
space
 Patrick Galooly said:
The bottom for these guys isn't comparable to the bottom for the rappers though. Yeah I went through some tough times where I had to share a home with a lot of other people. We still weren't in the projects though where you can be standing on your porch and have something bad happen to you.
This thread just seems like it's purpose is to denigrate and belittle these people's accomplishments which is some hating a.ss sh*t.
How can you belittle the accomplishments of someone worth $580 million? All the chart does is show a comparison of wealth. Rappers are often gloating about how much money they have blah blah blah. That chart shows how small the rap industry is, if anything the sh*t is pure inspiration.

How do you explain third world billionaires? Those areas are 30x worse than anything in America.

No one is trying to discredit the accomplishments of Diddy or Hov...they are EXCELLENT businessmen, not even 90% of the world will ever see over 100 million.

Lol if anything the regular working class American should be upset or inspired to go out and get theirs.
 5 years ago '04        #55
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Dos-effect said:

I'm not saying rappers don't do ANY work at all, they still have to write songs,do shows, sit in meetings, and agree to business deals, but you can't compare that to the type of work that these entrepreneurs who single handedly built these empires from scratch did. You can't compare their hustles because one was built from the ground up, while the other was a partnership where the financial capital for the operation was fronted by a multi-million or multi-billion dollar corporation as well as the marketing, manufacturing, and retail labor force to push the product.

I also don't know why you're using this whole "they view them as morons" thing as a point. The people that see rappers as morons are ones that aren't their main consumers anyway. Everyone who listens to their music and companies who share those target audiences actually look at their name recognition as an a.sset. If you're selling X amount of records and have songs on the radio , nobody cares if you're a moron or not, they just know your face and name can help sell their venture. It's actually the opposite of what you're saying. Instead of having to prove the quality of their product, they have millions of people that will buy a rapper's shoe, drink, clothing line off the name alone. A public figure/celebrity already has an advantage in that sense over a regular guy off the street who wants to start selling the same product.

At the end of the day, you also have to admit that the main reason why these guys are able to do all these business ventures they've done is because of the brand/entity/name that they've established through being a rapper which goes back to the original partnership they had with the label. Most of these companies are using these rappers for their marketing power not their business expertise. The one business skill that rappers are mostly used for is generating hype around something with their name.

You want these artists or any celebrity figure to get the same type of credit these entrepreneurs do ?? Tell them to build a company from scratch without a.ssociating their name or face to it AT ALL. Have them work behind the scenes, build it from the ground up, and make that company a success in the long run without any major outside help. The fact that they have millions of dollars at their disposal already gives them an advantage over people that started these empires in a garage with a couple hundred dollars.

No one is trying to discredit rappers , but at the same time I'm not trying to hear people overrate them and put them next to people who built an multi-billion dollar empire with little or no help.
 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM         #56
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
I'm not saying rappers don't do ANY work at all, they still have to write songs,do shows, sit in meetings, and agree to business deals, but you can't compare that to the type of work that these entrepreneurs who single handedly built these empires from scratch did. You can't compare their hustles because one was built from the ground up, while the other was a partnership where the financial capital for the operation was fronted by a multi-million or multi-billion dollar corporation as well as the marketing, manufacturing, and retail labor force to push the product.

I also don't know why you're using this whole "they view them as morons" thing as a point. The people that see rappers as morons are ones that aren't their main consumers anyway. Everyone who listens to their music and companies who share those target audiences actually look at their name recognition as an a.sset. If you're selling X amount of records and have songs on the radio , nobody cares if you're a moron or not, they just know your face and name can help sell their venture. It's actually the opposite of what you're saying. Instead of having to prove the quality of their product, they have millions of people that will buy a rapper's shoe, drink, clothing line off the name alone. A public figure/celebrity already has an advantage in that sense over a regular guy off the street who wants to start selling the same product.

At the end of the day, you also have to admit that the main reason why these guys are able to do all these business ventures they've done is because of the brand/entity/name that they've established through being a rapper which goes back to the original partnership they had with the label. Most of these companies are using these rappers for their marketing power not their business expertise. The one business skill that rappers are mostly used for is generating hype around something with their name.

You want these artists or any celebrity figure to get the same type of credit these entrepreneurs do ?? Tell them to build a company from scratch without a.ssociating their name or face to it AT ALL. Have them work behind the scenes, build it from the ground up, and make that company a success in the long run without any major outside help. The fact that they have millions of dollars at their disposal already gives them an advantage over people that started these empires in a garage with a couple hundred dollars.

No one is trying to discredit rappers , but at the same time I'm not trying to hear people overrate them and put them next to people who built an multi-billion dollar empire with little or no help.
Is a record label a business? Def Jam? Bad Boy? DTP? These are all business's that started on the ground level. Business that were all nurtured from the dollar of the those who started the business. All a record company can offer is distribution to an already established artist or label. These are legitimate businesses but like I was saying and what your proving is starting a lable is not looked at person with a dream starting a buisness its looked at as another rapper starting another lable. The stipulation is that lable that helped to solidify that artist into the the limelight is somehow less of a hustle then Bill Gates. When both ideas could have had the same 2 results, either wildly successful, or sadly unsuccessful. Both companies required the same sort of business acumen and dedication. Your saying that once these lables begin blowing up they are matched with some big budget corporation that pretty much aligns the stars for them, that's just not the case. Russel Simmons wasn't approached to start a clothing line, he had a vision that is where he wanted to go and completed that vision through hard work and innovation....of course Phat Farm clothing is no longer marketable, Simmons innovated the music world with the idea of product placement (how many artist today have perfumes lines), another example is no big time corporation approached 50 with vitamin water.....he saw the potentional of the drink and put his own money behind it....and with his business acumen helped to push the product to become what it is today........all this is more then just some rappers who worked hard only to be a.ssisted by big time endorsment ...for Puffy and 50 their endorsment of other peoples products have gotten more money.....in that aspect Puffy and 50 are the corporations investing into the people doing the business with.

Your stance point is a Jay Z cannot be compared to a Bill Gates because Bill did it with no help(which is not true, Bill also needed big corporation money to get Microsoft off the ground as most major business's do)......my position is both gentleman are extremely intelligent and deserve the same respect in their own rights. Bill Gates may have more money, but that is only because his invention was more innovative then anything Jay Z has to offer.........but in the same sense Bill Gates could not matter Jay's hustle because Jay exist on 2 levels of the buissness world and the streets.
 5 years ago '07        #57
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$18,088 | Props total: 1527 1527
why did someone compare freakin BILL GATES to JAY Z?

what is up with all these useless threads?
 5 years ago '04        #58
SMBNYC 5 heat pts
space
space
$762 | Props total: 14 14
hurts my soul that master p is even anywhere on that jpeg lol
 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM         #59
Cheesypoof 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 pa_general said:
Really puts sh-t into perspective how much money these dudes are making.

Bill Gates

lol Rap music ain't sh-t compared to the big dogs...sheesh...

Drag or open image in a new window to see full size.

[pic - click to view]

judging from the date you joined this website, you're not that young.

But damn are you a stupid fu*k. Im not trying to hate or troll. You are a dumb fu*k.
 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM         #60
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its not even within the same industry....apples and oranges. Gotta love these undercover racist propaganda.....Only racist people would downplay someone who is worth even 150 million. Like that sh*t is a failure, ha
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
106 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
46 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
186 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
124 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
71 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy