Other agents say jay z is making a mockery of the process

most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
74 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
85 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
56 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
10038 pageviews
83 comments

ghostridah 47 heat pts47
space
space
$1,997 | Props total: 916 916
Other agents say jay z is making a mockery of the process

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/25/jay-involvement-has-nfl-agents-crying-foul/zXlkNDjFE36GyaedPzNGSO/story.html

Until this week, the most newsworthy thing Kimberly Miale ever did was marry her Suffolk University Law School sweetheart, John Kelley. The two got hitched last August in Newport, R.I., and the wedding announcement made the New York Times.

Now? The 34-year-old attorney from Johnson, R.I., has left a lot of NFL agents crying foul, while wondering if she and her new business partner will revolutionize and dominate the league’s agent community.

Miale’s business partner, of course, is the real headline-grabber — famed rapper and entrepreneur Jay-Z, whose entertainment company, Roc Nation, has gotten into the sports agency business this spring. His company, which also has a partnership with powerful sports agency CAA, lured Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano away from Scott Boras, gave Skylar Diggins a new Mercedes-Benz recently after she was taken third overall in the WNBA draft, and now has signed Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith after he dumped his agent earlier this month.

Jay-Z’s appeal as an agent is obvious — he has all the top connections in the entertainment world, and has amassed a fortune estimated at around $500 million.

“It’s the rock-star thing,” former NFL All-Pro Trevor Pryce told USA Today last week. “If you’re one of his guys, it affords you a lot of opportunity to do things off the field.”

But Jay-Z’s involvement in the NFL has many in the agent community up in arms. And that’s where Miale comes in.

Jay-Z hasn’t been certified as an agent by the NFL Players a.ssociation, and probably won’t be any time soon — certification requires studying the minutiae of the league’s collective bargaining agreement and passing a two-day test.

In the eyes of several agents we spoke to last week, that makes Jay-Z a “runner” — someone who helps secure clients for an agent but isn’t a certified contract negotiator. In 2012, the NFLPA passed a resolution banning the use of “runners,” with the threat of fine, suspension or permanent banning for any agent who uses one.

Miale, though, is a certified NFLPA agent — just not one who has much experience. Before signing on with Roc Nation, her only two clients never played an NFL snap or even signed a contract — former University of Florida linebacker Brandon Hicks and current Arena Football League kicker Carlos Martinez.

But Miale, listed as an a.ssociate at Heifetz Rose LLP in Needham, gives Roc Nation a legitimate pretense to recruit and sign NFL players. She will be listed as Smith’s official agent, not Jay-Z. And if CAA doesn’t want to sign one of Jay-Z’s clients, Miale allows Roc Nation to sign them on its own.

How Miale even connected with Jay-Z remains a mystery. She didn’t return multiple messages from the Globe seeking comment.

Of course, the idea that Miale is doing the recruiting and not Jay-Z is a bit hard to believe. Smith’s adviser, former NFL player John Thornton, even told CBS Sports recently that when Smith was looking for a new agent, “I was in those meetings, and Jay-Z connected with him on many levels.”

Jay-Z’s involvement is a big no-no, and Thornton later backtracked, saying he was misquoted. But many agents are wondering if Jay-Z and Roc Nation are getting preferential treatment from the NFLPA. The organization declined a request for comment.

The NFLPA has already stated that it is OK with Jay-Z’s recruitment of Giants receiver Victor Cruz, given that the two had a “preexisting relationship.” But there’s little reason to think that Smith had any sort of relationship with Jay-Z prior to the pre-draft process.

Of course, if the NFLPA were to come down on Roc Nation, Miale would likely be the one in trouble, not Jay-Z — she’s the regulated agent, after all, while he’s just the “runner.”

From what we can tell, most agents aren’t too threatened by Jay-Z. Roc Nation figures only to pursue the choicest clients.

But Jay-Z could put a dent in the business of high-profile agents such as Joel Segal or Drew Rosenhaus, who often represent multiple first-round picks.

And if the NFLPA doesn’t look at the Jay-Z/Smith relationship closely, what’s to stop Rosenhaus from partnering with, say, Miami rapper Rick Ross?

“The process is being made a mockery of,” said one agent who spoke under the condition of anonymity. “If the PA doesn’t regulate it, it opens a Pandora’s box. They’d have to throw out the runner rule.”

The real head-scratcher in all of this, though — why does Jay-Z even want to get into the NFL agent business?

There’s little money to be made in the NFL, where player contracts aren’t guaranteed and agent commissions are capped at 3 percent.

Even if Jay-Z charges 15-20 percent on marketing commissions, he’d likely only make a couple hundred thousand dollars a year on a stable of rookie clients. The 3 percent commission the agent will get from Smith will net $148,110 — and that’s over four years.

“He makes that in one night of performance,” another agent pointed out. “Unless he gets a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers, he’s never going to see the kind of money he’ll get in the NBA or baseball.”

83 comments for "Other agents say jay z is making a mockery of the process"

5 years ago '07        #2
st21 1238 heat pts1238
space
space
$55,524 | Props total: 43696 43696
Even if Jay-Z charges 15-20 percent on marketing commissions, he’d likely only make a couple hundred thousand dollars a year on a stable of rookie clients. The 3 percent commission the agent will get from Smith will net $148,110 — and that’s over four years.
camel warriors lost.
 5 years ago '07        #3
theFREAK 3682 heat pts3682
space
space
$53,706 | Props total: 38559 38559
 5 years ago '07        #4
OG Perez 16 heat pts16
space
space
$42,532 | Props total: 10871 10871
f*ggots are mad

What you want me to do? I'm sorry
 5 years ago '11        #5
BLUE$ 169 heat pts169
space
space
$10,626 | Props total: 3022 3022
Ugly n*ggas every where (especially in NY) lost.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #6
Matrix 52 heat pts52
space
space
$9,508 | Props total: 48 48

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #7
OG Perez 16 heat pts16
space
space
$42,532 | Props total: 10871 10871
 BLUE JACK$ON said:
Ugly n*ggas every where (especially in NY) lost.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

u sound like a bi*ch worrying about another mans looks.shut the fu*k up
[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '13        #8
JBStarLife 12 heat pts12
space
space
$722 | Props total: 0 0
It has only begun
 5 years ago '04        #9
GollyI'mGully 69 heat pts69
space
space
$7,735 | Props total: 400 400
i'm calling bs on his "$500 million" fortune
 5 years ago '11        #10
BLUE$ 169 heat pts169
space
space
$10,626 | Props total: 3022 3022
 Brooklyn Lost said:
u sound like a bi*ch worrying about another mans looks.shut the fu*k up
[pic - click to view]

You act like its my fault the man

you jerk it to and call God

look like this
[pic - click to view]

Opposed to this
[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #11
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
^^ Blue Jackson is a flaming phaggot

I knew agents were gonna cry foul because of his influence in pop culture
 5 years ago '05        #12
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,922 | Props total: 30311 30311
white people complaining because a black man is low balling them

jay stay winniing
 5 years ago '07        #13
24/7foamz 
space
space
$14,797 | Props total: 450 450
I knew this blue Jackson kid was wild mango

Last edited by 24/7foamz; 05-26-2013 at 12:50 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #14
Good Kid 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$1,818 | Props total: 1609 1609
 BLUE JACK$ON said:

look like this
[pic - click to view]

Opposed to this
[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '08        #15
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,478 | Props total: 573 573
 lo life dun said:
white people complaining because a black man is low balling them

jay stay winniing

Can't knock the hustle.
 5 years ago '12        #16
Good Kid 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$1,818 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Brooklyn Lost said:
f*ggots are mad

What you want me to do? I'm sorry
 5 years ago '12        #17
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,764 | Props total: 22146 22146
 BLUE JACK$ON said:

look like this
[pic - click to view]

Opposed to this
[pic - click to view]

05-26-2013, 01:12 PM         #18
iQon 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 st21 said:
camel warriors lost.
Making a few hundred thousand in passive income from a side venture isn't good?
 5 years ago '05        #19
DanBootleg 210 heat pts210
space
space
$18,772 | Props total: 8933 8933
 BLUE JACK$ON said:

look like this
[pic - click to view]

Opposed to this
[pic - click to view]

Would you rather be fu*king this

[pic - click to view]

Or this

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #20
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
Any athlete who signs to his group is a moron. Having your money tied up with amateurs
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
203 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
132 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
229 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy