May 11 - Think Subway is healthier than McDonald's? You might be better off getting a Big Mac

most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
88 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
197 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
17 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
80 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
11242 pageviews
145 comments

jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
May 11 - Think Subway is healthier than McDonald's? You might be better off getting a Big Mac

Does Jared know about this?
Subway has made a name for itself as the "healthy" fast food chain by touting its lean deli meat sandwiches packed with veggies as an alternative to greasy burgers and fries.
But many people consume just as much sugar, carbs, sodium and overall calories per meal at Subway as they do at its much-maligned competitor, McDonald’s, new research shows.
UCLA scientists sent a group of nearly 100 adolescents aged 12 to 21 to eat at McDonald's and Subway restaurants, then collected their receipts to track what they ordered. Using the nutrition information available on each chain's website, they calculated the nutritional value of what the kids purchased.

While meals at McDonalds averaged 1,038 calories, the Subway meals weren't far behind at 955 calories each. And at 784 calories, the average Subway sandwich purchase came in even higher than those bought at McDonald's, which averaged 582 calories.
The Institute of Medicine recommends 2,400 calories per day for adolescents, researchers noted.

"We found that there was no statistically significant difference between the two restaurants, and that participants ate too many calories at both," public health scholar Dr. Lenard Lesser, who led the study, said in a statement.
The restaurants were strikingly similar by several other measures. Diners ordered 102g of carbohydrates at Subway compared to 128 at McDonald's and 36g of sugar to McDonalds' 54g.

People ate even more sodium at Subway, with 2,149mg compared to 1,829mg at McDonald's. Overconsumption of salt is a growing health crisis for Americans, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned, putting children and adults at risk for hypertension, heart disease and obesity. One CDC study found the average kid consumers 3,300mg of salt daily, far more than the recommended 2,300mg.

Subway meals did live up to their health halo in some respects. Subjects purchased sugary drinks at an average of 61 calories at Subway, but gulped 151 calories at McDonald's.
Subway side dishes, such as potato chips, added an average of 35 calories to meals, while McDonald's sides, such as french fries, tacked on 201 calories.
The study doesn't detail the exact meal combinations that were ordered at the restaurants, but it seems clear that many of the Subway diners aren't sticking to the chain's selection of 6-inch sandwiches under 500 calories.

Subway's footlong Big Philly Cheesesteak, for example, clocks in around 1,000 calories and 2560g sodium — roughly double what's in the McDonald's Big Mac, which has 550 calories and 970g sodium.

In the end, it's not where you eat but what you choose off the menu that matters — and eating at Subway is just as likely to make you fat as pulling up to the drive-thru at McDonald's, researchers concluded.

To make meals at either restaurant healthier, skip the sugary drinks, chips and french fries, Lesser advised. At Subway, choose smaller sandwiches with plenty of vegetables.
The study was published online Tuesday in the Journal of Adolescent Health.

UPDATE: Subway Global Dietitian Lanette Kovachi, MS, RD, responded with the following statement: "Regarding the 2011 UCLA study of 87 young adults, we want to clarify a few things. As long time leaders in offering customers healthier options, Subway restaurants has always provided customers nutritional information on all of our menu offerings along with a wide array of great-tasting, low-fat and low-calorie subs and salads. We stand behind our nutritional offerings and continue to make advancements to our menu that meet the evolving tastes of our customers."

Read more: visit this link Bad news, Subway fans: Your $5 footlong may be LESS healthy than a McDonald’s Big Mac - NY Daily News

145 comments for "May 11 - Think Subway is healthier than McDonald's? You might be better off getting a Big Mac"

5 years ago '12        #2
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,768 | Props total: 22155 22155
When you always get a vegetarian sub, it's better than McDonalds
 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM         #3
Stabbin101 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Worked at subway for 3 years.

Meat is constantly dropped on floor, bread is dropped on floor. Fruit flies everywhere.

The meat when you actually touch it feels like some sort of liquid concealer around it which feels all fatty and disgusting.

Don't buy into the hype.

Subway is not the largest franchise in the world for no reason.

Big corporations use it as a front
But like the article said, no better than mcdonalds.

Veggie is about it. And I wouldn't even go near that. They don't wash it properly and the bread ur eating it on probably has somebody's a.ss fingers all over it.

People are idiots.

Put fresh in the name and its ok.

Our society is dumber than sh*t
 5 years ago '10        #4
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,735 | Props total: 19634 19634
A footling sub and chips is still healthier than a Big Mac and fries.

However sodium is a big issue with preserved meats anywhere. Even the supermarket.
 05-12-2013, 12:04 AM         #5
Walt Thizzney 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
calorie in... calorie out
 05-12-2013, 12:06 AM         #6
Lex Lossis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 stabbin101 said:

Meat is constantly dropped on floor, bread is dropped on floor. Fruit flies everywhere.

The meat when you actually touch it feels like some sort of liquid concealer around it which feels all fatty and disgusting.

Don't buy into the hype.

Veggie is about it. And I wouldn't even go near that. They don't wash it properly and the bread ur eating it on probably has somebody's a.ss fingers all over it.

People are idiots.

ohhhhhhh sh*t. what about their big philly cheesesteaks no n*gga noooooooooooo

officially done with subway now. quit all the other FF joints, but ill quit them too.

Last edited by Lex Lossis; 05-12-2013 at 12:08 AM..
 5 years ago '10        #7
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
$10,480 | Props total: 275 275
People are too focused on "image"...while not really knowing anything about nutrition. For example, you can get some nuggets and fries at McDonalds, and a Sandwich at Subways. But if at Subways you're adding dressing, cheese, sugary drinks, etc. to your sandwich, it really makes no difference. If anything, you'll have an insulin spike and end up storing fat

That's the thing with a lot of people. They don't actually research and educate themselves. Just follow what they hear
 5 years ago '10        #8
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,735 | Props total: 19634 19634
 Smoke500 said:
People are too focused on "image"...while not really knowing anything about nutrition. For example, you can get some nuggets and fries at McDonalds, and a Sandwich at Subways. But if at Subways you're adding dressing, cheese, sugary drinks, etc. to your sandwich, it really makes no difference. If anything, you'll have an insulin spike and end up storing fat

That's the thing with a lot of people. They don't actually research and educate themselves. Just follow what they hear
Pretty much.

Plus who would eat at subway if all you could order were 6 inch sandwiches with nothing but turkey and veggies with no soft drinks?
 5 years ago '06        #9
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895
If you're gonna eat at Subway you gotta get a 6 inch sandwich of the oven roasted chicken...with water to drink...that's it!

u can't be eating all that other sh*t and ordering a footlong sandwich and sh*t...

ALSO, ya 6 inch gotta be on while wheat...
 5 years ago '07        #10
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,232 | Props total: 20021 20021
so many better sub places anyway, but i can see how ppl would be mad over the health stuff. but im taking quiznoes all day lol or my chicago ppl know Hero's.
 5 years ago '04        #11
ddash 1 heat pts
space
space
$22,975 | Props total: 3472 3472
Why would you even eat this fake sh*t anyway?
There are so many great authentic local deli's in most places.

Dumbass sheep.

I like to keep my deli sandwiches classy and not all about the a.ssy.
 5 years ago '11        #12
ShaquilleBrown 10 heat pts10
space
space
$8,786 | Props total: 1346 1346
 stabbin101 said:

Don't buy into the hype.

People are idiots.

Came too real in that post, I'm done with Subway
 5 years ago '04        #13
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,927 | Props total: 4288 4288
man who gives a fu*k. Eat and run. Done.
 5 years ago '11        #14
Dray 1187 heat pts1187
space
space
$59,340 | Props total: 25220 25220
 stabbin101 said:

Don't buy into the hype.

People are idiots.

My girl loves subway and hates Quiznos

sh*t is mind boggling

I showed her the post you made..safe to say we going to quiznos next time
 5 years ago '07        #15
Avon_Barksdale 4345 heat pts4345
space
space
$42,516 | Props total: 56183 56183
 stabbin101 said:

Don't buy into the hype.

People are idiots.

Is this you my n*gga...

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #16
SomeOnesoN 202 heat pts202
space
space
$17,249 | Props total: 1284 1284
I had this today. Beach Hut Deli>>

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #17
Special Edd 167 heat pts167
space
space
$26,616 | Props total: 8924 8924
Jason deli

Nothing beats jersey mikes
 5 years ago '04        #18
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
 stabbin101 said:

Don't buy into the hype.

People are idiots.

i'm sick of n*ggas like you. Always thinking the sh*tty little project restaurant you worked for is a modicum of the entire chain. I'm not a fast food guy myself but trying to scare people away with outrageous stories is just as much bullsh*t as the food itself. You were probably one of the jerkoffs substituting mayonnaise with sperm at your location, weren't you? Disgruntled a.ss employee. Go off yourself and rid the world of your pathetic little fast food working life you bi*ch.

PS: the food you prepare at home is probably far more disgusting than the sh*t you made at subway. Prick.
 5 years ago '11        #19
SomeOnesoN 202 heat pts202
space
space
$17,249 | Props total: 1284 1284
 05-12-2013, 01:13 AM         #20
luker1920 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 e G o Maniac said:
i'm sick of n*ggas like you. Always thinking the sh*tty little project restaurant you worked for is a modicum of the entire chain. I'm not a fast food guy myself but trying to scare people away with outrageous stories is just as much bullsh*t as the food itself. You were probably one of the jerkoffs substituting mayonnaise with sperm at your location, weren't you? Disgruntled a.ss employee. Go off yourself and rid the world of your pathetic little fast food working life you bi*ch.

PS: the food you prepare at home is probably far more disgusting than the sh*t you made at subway. Prick.

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
52 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
87 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
93 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
56 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
4 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
71 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy