BX what is the best version of NBA JAM?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne Tha god & Joe Budden Working On A New Show.
125 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
103 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

The GOAT version of NBA JAM
Arch Rivals (1989) 0 0%
NBA JAM OG (1994) 6 18.18%
NBA JAM TE (1994) 15 45.45%
NBA Hangtime (1996) 7 21.21%
NBA Jam Extreme (1996) 0 0%
NBA on NBC Showtime (1999) 4 12.12%
NBA JAM & On Fire Edition (2010/2011) 0 0%
Get the fuck out of here with your poll it's NBA 2k all day 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM         #1
8191 pageviews
31 comments

Tyrant Noir 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
BX what is the best version of NBA JAM?

Which version of NBA JAM is the GOAT?

I am only listing the arcade version of the game that represent the 2 on 2 style of gameplay that originated with Arch Rivals and spun into NBA JAM by Midway.

Arch Rivals (1989)

NBA JAM OG (1994)

NBA JAM TE (1994)

NBA Hangtime (1996)

NBA Jam Extreme (1996)

NBA on NBC Showtime (1999)

NBA JAM & On Fire Edition (2010/2011)

NBA Hangtime gets 5 Goat heads..... What is your favorite version BX?

Last edited by Tyrant Noir; 05-07-2013 at 09:15 AM..

31 comments for "BX what is the best version of NBA JAM?"

05-07-2013, 08:39 AM         #2
Tyrant Noir  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
BONUS: A must read interview about NBA JAM with lead designer, Mark Turmell

[pic - click to view]

Casual gamers might not know the name Mark Turmell, but if titles like Smash TV, NBA Jam and NFL Blitz ring a bell, then you've probably contributed to the man's fortune in tokens.

NBA Jam is the crown jewel of coin-op, still holding the world record for most money earned at one location in a single week ($2,468). And while you might have fond memories of the word "Boomshackalacka," and the sight of secret character Bill Clinton dunking on Blue Edwards, there's still plenty you don't know about Jam, like the haunting sounds it makes when the audio is turned off and the limited edition version that featured both Gary Payton and Michael Jordan … on the same team.

Turmell sat down with us to spill the details.

MAG.COM: Did you know you had a hit on your hands when you were creating the original NBA Jam?

Mark Turmell: Right away, there was no question about it. Back then, you could break new ground with every game, and we knew with Mortal Kombat and Jam, which were being developed at the same time, that our digitized graphics were different than any video game before. Even though it looks clunky now, when you look back on it, it was breaking new ground.

The big thing for us, though, was the fact that it was the very first NBA-licensed coin-operated game. That was quite a hurdle, because the NBA was really concerned about putting their logo in arcades. Back then, a lot of the arcades they were used to in New York were kind of seedy with drug dealers hanging around, and the NBA didn't want to be a.ssociated with that. We really had to educate the league about all the family fun centers and bowling alleys, and why the NBA logo should be on the side of these cabinets. We tried to make them forget about the seedy side and they finally agreed. Then right off the bat, we knew we had a huge game.

Jam was making so much money when it first came out. There was so much four-player action at this one arcade in Chicago that the first week they had to shut the arcade down, because there was a huge f!ght over whose turn it was to play. There was so much money coming in, they had to change the coin-box every day. It was crazy.

It's funny, though, the big thing I still remember about that time was when I put the first dunk in the game. I didn't even intend to do anything over the top. I put in the velocity and the height, and it looked cool, then I kept going higher until it was clearly unrealistic but still entertaining. Once that happened, we completely shifted the focus of the game.

Who was your favorite two-man team?

The most interesting one was the team of Gary Payton and Michael Jordan. Payton didn't make the cut to be in the game,and of course, Jordan pulled himself out of the licensing of the NBA, so we had to pull him out of the game. But one day, I got a phone call from a distributor out on the west coast who told me that Gary Payton was willing to pay whatever it cost to get into the game. So we told him what to do in terms of taking photographs, so he sent in photographs of himself and Jordan, saying, "We want to be in the game, hook us up." So we actually did a special version of the game and gave both players all-star, superstar stats. There are only a handful of these machines, but Jordan and Payton did end up being in one version of the game.

Shaq actually bought two machines. He kept one at home and then, if you can believe this, they shipped the game with them on their road trips, setting up the machine in their hotel rooms as they traveled. The players would play, then get someone to pack it up and ship it off to the next city.

Did Scottie Pippen's ratings in the game really drop when he played certain teams?

It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons. If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field.

You guys were the first to put hidden characters like Bill Clinton and Frank Thomas in the game, back before you needed to pay them. How did all the hidden characters come about?

With the coin-op, we started that by taking pictures of ourselves and putting ourselves in the game. That was a lot of fun, and it was really the first time people had put hidden players like that in the game. Then, when we did the consumer version, Midway had a deal with Acclaim to put our coin-op games onto the consoles, so they actually had a bunch of characters they wanted us to use, like Frank Thomas, who had his own game with Acclaim at the time.

Another thing we did is rent a bunch of Halloween masks, and that's how we created the gorilla and the Viking and a lot of the other funky characters. Then Acclaim just said that they wanted to get more noticeable guys, and they generated that bigger list on their own, like Bill Clinton.

What's the rumor we hear about NBA Jam being haunted?

We had already finished making NBA Jam when Drazen Petrovic died. The game had already shipped and he was on the Nets. So we had all of these coin-op machines around, and one night we were playing Mortal Kombat and there was a Jam machine next to it, and all of a sudden the game started calling out "Petrovic!" "Petrovic!" And this only happened after Petrovic had died. Everyone started freaking out. Something weird was going on with the software, and to this day, if you have an original NBA Jam machine every once in a while it will just yell out "Petrovic!" It's wild.

Last edited by Tyrant Noir; 05-07-2013 at 09:05 AM..
 5 years ago '10        #3
Cabillanaire oO 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,717 | Props total: 12 12
NBA Jam OG
 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM         #4
Tyrant Noir  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rico23 said:
TE hands down...added more players to the roster
TE is a very close second for me, but Hangtime's gameplay and alley oops is just too on point. Plus that create a player mode had me hooked tryin to get my stats up
 5 years ago '04        #5
Bossalinie 
space
space
$4,756 | Props total: 41 41
TE
playing that at the arcade was live as fu*k.. way better than the console in every aspect
 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM         #6
Tyrant Noir  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bossalinie said:
TE
playing that at the arcade was live as fu*k.. way better than the console in every aspect
 5 years ago '05        #7
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
TE was the sh*t...never seen extreme before and didnt play showtime but you're missing one that came out for ps2/xbox and one that was for n64
 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM         #8
Tyrant Noir  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rico23 said:
When were u born?
 PhrozenMenace said:
TE was the sh*t...never seen extreme before and didnt play showtime but you're missing one that came out for ps2/xbox and one that was for n64
86'
I had hangtime on the N64 back in the day. Of course the arcade version sh*tted on the home versions. Playstation TE is not bad tho

Phrozen: Not sure which ones. There was one for ps2 that had 3 on 3 and classic players; gameplay was awful. What's that N64 one?

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #9
Jpimp150 2 heat pts
space
space
$942 | Props total: 80 80
TE>>>

followed by the 2011 version, then OG in a close 3rd.
 5 years ago '09        #10
PremoThaOne 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,054 | Props total: 1071 1071
TE Hands Down Loved The Hidden Characters
 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM         #11
LaRy BLanco  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
NBA Jam TE>>>>>>

cant count how many quarters a nicca spent in the arcade across the street where I grew up playing this

it was even @ the point where I was stealing change out of my moms purse

but hangtime is not too far behind tho
 5 years ago '05        #12
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
 Tyrant Noir said:
86'
I had hangtime on the N64 back in the day. Of course the arcade version sh*tted on the home versions. Playstation TE is not bad tho

Phrozen: Not sure which ones. There was one for ps2 that had 3 on 3 and classic players; gameplay was awful. What's that N64 one?
the n64 one looks retarded as hell just seen it on youtube

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #13
freshprinceoba 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,318 | Props total: 13 13
TE, love that game
 5 years ago '05        #14
_Player2 208 heat pts208
space
space
$13,407 | Props total: 9256 9256
I remember when NBA Jam first hit the arcades

Almost everybody in my hood ran with the Magic, dat Shaq/Skiles combo

Why they have to go and get rid of the arcades man
 5 years ago '07        #15
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,675 | Props total: 16964 16964
nba hangtime
 5 years ago '04        #16
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,609 | Props total: 1775 1775
Did Scottie Pippen's ratings in the game really drop when he played certain teams?

It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons. If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks.

Thats it. Thats all i needed to read. I knew the developers of 2k were writing fu*k sh*t in the code on purpose and this proves it. Its like a watershed moment for me.
 5 years ago '11        #17
pbballin 20 heat pts20
space
space
$9,923 | Props total: 1653 1653
Whichever one you could unlock Bill Clinton....n*gga had a jumper
 5 years ago '05        #18
_Player2 208 heat pts208
space
space
$13,407 | Props total: 9256 9256
 cold_young_thug said:

It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons. If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks.

Thats it. Thats all i needed to read. I knew the developers of 2k were writing fu*k sh*t in the code on purpose and this proves it. Its like a watershed moment for me.

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #19
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,988 | Props total: 10659 10659
gotta go og....head to head it woul dbe te because it was basically the same but updated but with og it had the freshness to it...new and never experienced and would play that sh*t like i was a crack addict
 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM         #20
Dream914  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CadillacVyse said:
nba hangtime

I had TE but I use to play hangtime in the arcades

Last edited by Dream914; 05-07-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
149 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
72 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
225 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
153 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
17 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
109 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy