Mr. Serv-On Recalls The Phone Conversation That Broke Up No Limit Records

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
201 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
85 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
6656 pageviews
69 comments

TheThreadLord 1776 heat pts1776
space
space
$9,550 | Props total: 3097 3097
Mr. Serv-On Recalls The Phone Conversation That Broke Up No Limit Records

Mr. Serv-On claims Master P and No Limit Records gave artists the best contracts in Rap history. He reveals how a speaker-phone and an upset executive compromised an independent juggernaut.

In 1999, Mr. Serv-On's sophomore album, Da Next Level garned a #1 debut on the Rap/Hip Hop charts for reigning independent label No Limit Records. According to the New Orleans, Louisiana native who was with the label since the mid-1990s, that was the year No Limit sold 22 million units. Sadly, it was a year before the label suffered an artist exodus which was led by in-house production team Beats By The Pound. In an interview this week with the Underground Society online radio show, Mr. Serv-On explained the root of the artist departure—including his own—and how it greatly damaged No Limit's legacy.

"The thing that really messed it up was when Beats By The Pound and [Master P] got into the smallest thing," began Serv. "Man, and when I tell you why No Limit [Records] broke up—'cause he didn't get rid of people. He did a few interviews out there. That was just [because] his feelings were hurt, 'cause n*ggas walked off. He'd be like, 'I got rid of n*ggas.' In '99, when most of us walked off, we sold 22 million albums. You don't go and get rid of n*ggas that helped you sell 22 million."

According to Mr. Serv-On, Beats By The Pound—which included KLC, Craig B, Mo B. d!ck and Odell—stirred the pot with a contract dispute. "This shows you how No Limit really broke up, and ended up levelin' off and fadin': Basically, P was doin' a huge business deal. Contracts came out; we didn't live by contracts, we lived by handshakes and word—blood in, blood out. Our contracts was better than any contracts, ever. I own my masters! We own everything. We got 50/50 [splits]. That's how real the n*gga played us, and we owned our publishing. He was a real dude with it. What happened was, he had to get signed contracts to do this big business transaction with [No Limit Records' distributor at the time] Priority [Records]. When the contracts came, the producers were like, 'Man, I'ma get a lawyer.'" Lawyers had not previously been part of the agreements in the New Orleans-based street label.

Mr. Serv-On, who helped bring KLC and Craig B to the label before its mainstream success watched his friends bring in legal counsel. "We had people in our circle that weren't so-they-say 'street guys'—and they was with that bullsh-t. So one day [in a phone meeting], P was like, 'Man, they don't wanna sign [the contract], fu-k 'em!' The [lawyer had Beats By The Pound] on speaker. And they heard it. P didn't really mean nothin' by it; he was just gettin' mad, like you would with your homie."

According to Serv, KLC felt particularly slighted, after producing hits such as "Bout It, Bout It," "Make 'Em Say Uhh!" and "Down 4 My n*ggaz," all major hits on top-selling albums. Mr. Serv-On explained, "[KLC and Master P] was like [Dr.] Dre and Snoop [Dogg]. That kinda really fu-ked KL up, to hear that." Master P and KLC reportedly had several difficult verbal exchanges following the phone conversation. "P being stubborn, wouldn't apologize. KL was like, 'I'ma stand my ground.' So Beats By The Pound walked away. P waited so long to say, 'Man, Serv, go call Beats, let's work this out.' It was too late. They was gettin' deals." Beats By The Pound left the label, working under the name Medicine Men. In recent years, KLC has worked with the likes of Bun B, B.G., and former No Limit artists Curren$y and Mystikal.

Beats By The Pound's departure upset the roster at the label, which included Fiend, Mia X and Magic, in addition to Mr. Serv-On. "When they walked off, all the artists were like, 'P, we're not workin' with these other producers.' In turn, that got him mad and whatever." Having reportedly brought Beats By The Pound to No Limit, Serv admitted his difficult stake in the situation. "I got caught in the middle, 'cause I brought the two main producers—with the most hits—to No Limit. It was like, 'Man, get them back.'" Serv claims that he went from a pupil of Master P in the label and A&R'ing to grunt-work. "It went to, 'Aight Serv, what's going on? I'll holla at you on this, this and that.' I was working on my third album, which the world never got to hear—which was just crazy. I went to turn it in, and it was kinda funny." He deduced, "This sh-t ain't family no more...for me, that's what I came up with." In late 1999, following Da Next Level, Mr. Serv-On left No Limit. A year later, he released War Is Me, Pt. 1: Battle Decisions on the small independent label, Lifetime Entertainment. Interestingly enough, the album featured extensive production by Beats By The Pound's Craig B. Serv admits that while behind the scenes, his former label boss helped his career even after No Limit. "He helped me in the background—still got me deals and got me situations overseas with clothing stuff."

Still, it all comes back to that one phone conversation. "Everybody walked away...that big-ass conglomerate broke down because of two people that were just too stubborn to sit down and talk, over somethin' that wasn't even supposed to be heard: a 'fu-k 'em.'"

Master P and son Romeo are currently revamping No Limit Forever Records, now based in Los Angeles, California. The roster is said to include Fat Trel and former death Row Records hopeful Eastwood, in addition to Master P, Romeo and Silkk The Shocker.

visit this link Mr. Serv-On Recalls The Phone Conversation That Broke Up No Limit Records | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

69 comments for "Mr. Serv-On Recalls The Phone Conversation That Broke Up No Limit Records"

5 years ago '04        #2
mprnc2000 16 heat pts16
space
space
$5,949 | Props total: 1565 1565
n*ggaz too emotional
 5 years ago '07        #3
cankstoochie 48 heat pts48
space
space
$16,579 | Props total: 1046 1046
lets be real.... them contracts for beats must of looked like sh*t for them to even say "i'm gonna get a lawyer"
 5 years ago '10        #4
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
Maaaaannnnnnneeeeeee....
 5 years ago '04        #5
youngmic 407 heat pts407
space
space
$28,383 | Props total: 29523 29523
petty sh*t...just like most beefs these days
 5 years ago '04        #6
ddash 1 heat pts
space
space
$22,968 | Props total: 3459 3459
 NahLij said:
I would love to see a documentary about No Limit like Welcome To deathrow
 5 years ago '10        #7
Cashis Clay 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,869 | Props total: 226 226
 cankstoochie said:
lets be real.... them contracts for beats must of looked like sh*t for them to even say "i'm gonna get a lawyer"
But Serv-On said they had the best contracts in the game! 50/50 split, got to own they own publishing, and they masters?? That type of deal is unheard of and thats just for the artists!

But who knows what really happened tho...sh*t like that there always more to the story
 5 years ago '07        #8
space
space
 dcashalston said:
But Serv-On said they had the best contracts in the game! 50/50 split, got to own they own publishing, and they masters?? That type of deal is unheard of and thats just for the artists!

But who knows what really happened tho...sh*t like that there always more to the story
thats before the contracts b. when priority enforced contracts they weren't getting 50/50 splits anymore.
 5 years ago '07        #9
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,037 | Props total: 1020 1020
Wow, looks like egos got the best of them. These labels with huge dynasty potential always seem to collapse from egos or greed.
 5 years ago '10        #10
Cashis Clay 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,869 | Props total: 226 226
 cankstoochie said:
thats before the contracts b. when priority enforced contracts they weren't getting 50/50 splits anymore.
It doesnt say that the No limit contracts changed tho...

What i took from the article was No Limit was doin sh*t off of handshakes but Priority just wanted No Limit's contracts in writing to get the big deal done...

When Beats by the Pound saw the contracts they was like hell no! We was doin everything on some street sh*t now all of a sudden we gotta sign contracts? Thats why they got lawyers...they was probably worried bout signing a slave deal...

But if we in business and doin sh*t with verbals and handshakes then all of a sudden a n*gga like ight b4 we do this next deal, sign this contract...ill lawyer up too...
 5 years ago '06        #11
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
$32,949 | Props total: 13571 13571
damn P was on some real sh*t
 5 years ago '06        #12
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
after he left master p still got him deals..........how real is that

and he was givingthem 50/50 b4 priority came in
 5 years ago '10        #13
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,864 | Props total: 13657 13657
bbtp was the life blood of NL. When they left the tank damn came to a screeching halt. Never knew P tried to get em back. I remeber vividly (I was a big NL head) that when they left, P flexxed like he didn't need them and got sum new producers. But they were wack as hell. Damn.....money & egos almost always fu*k labels, families, and clicks up.

Wonder if they can peace it out and make music again. Dont know if Carlos, O'dell, & Craig B got it but KL & MO B still nice with it.
 5 years ago '06        #14
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '09        #15
YungPrinceNY 474 heat pts474
space
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 621 621
meanwhile at cash money

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #16
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
Sounds similar to the Cash Money situation cept I doubt P ever intended to cheat them outta money. The revamped Priority deals must not have looked as good as the street deals they had before. I can see how P mightv'e been stuck in the middle of that, given his success with the distributor and his relationship with BBTP(Mo B is his cousin). I think the contracts couldv'e easily been reworked but stubborness is a bi*ch. Oh well it was good while it lasted
 5 years ago '12        #17
cubes 4 heat pts
space
space
$12,573 | Props total: 5973 5973
 YungPrinceNY said:
meanwhile at cash money

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #18
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
$19,616 | Props total: 4377 4377
damn P was real for them contracts
 5 years ago '07        #19
space
space
 BigJohnsons said:
Didn't beats by the pound produce Gin and Juice Pt. 2 ?
what does this have to do with anything?
 5 years ago '07        #20
MiseryCityTexas 19 heat pts19
space
space
space
$20,601 | Props total: 4206 4206
 Trilluminati GA said:
bbtp was the life blood of NL. When they left the tank damn came to a screeching halt. Never knew P tried to get em back. I remeber vividly (I was a big NL head) that when they left, P flexxed like he didn't need them and got sum new producers. But they were wack as hell. Damn.....money & egos almost always fu*k labels, families, and clicks up.

Wonder if they can peace it out and make music again. Dont know if Carlos, O'dell, & Craig B got it but KL & MO B still nice with it.
not all of no limit's producers after beats by the pound's departure were wack. Kenoe, and Mike Diesal were nice, it's just that Percy's chemistry with them sucked compared to how it was with beats by the pound. Diesal now produces for Lil Wayne, and Kenoe makes beats for Young Jeezy now.
Home      

most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
81 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
43 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
67 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
48 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
36 comments
2 days ago