Apr 17 - Gun control amendment fails in Senate

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #21
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,216 | Props total: 19887 19887

[video - click to view]

oh how times have changed lol
 5 years ago '11        #22
Kadillac87 225 heat pts225
space
space
$17,495 | Props total: 6665 6665
Obama speaking about it now. He said the gun lobby and their allies willingly lied about the bill
 5 years ago '12        #23
DireWolf07 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,759 | Props total: 1007 1007
Obama going in
 5 years ago '04        #24
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,898 | Props total: 2575 2575
 DireWolf07 said:
Obama going in
havent seen him this emotional in a while. i like it
 5 years ago '11        #25
space
space
 DireWolf07 said:
Obama going in
He had to be listening to some DMX before he came out
 5 years ago '04        #26
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,136 | Props total: 9437 9437
The point is that the expanded background checks were nothing but trying to get every gun owner into a federal database. They were asking for a background check for gifts from family members and everything else.

Anyone who has bought a gun knows that there is already a law against buying a gun for someone who is not eligible to do it themselves. The purchaser is always responsible and will get massive jail time if caught.

And every gun show I've been to, everyone who was buying a gun had to go through a background check. not saying it's always the case tho.
 5 years ago '07        #27
space
space
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
The point is that the expanded background checks were nothing but trying to get every gun owner into a federal database. They were asking for a background check for gifts from family members and everything else.

Anyone who has bought a gun knows that there is already a law against buying a gun for someone who is not eligible to do it themselves. The purchaser is always responsible and will get massive jail time if caught.

And every gun show I've been to, everyone who was buying a gun had to go through a background check. not saying it's always the case tho.
But opponents of the bill deliberately misrepresented the bill by claiming it could lead to a national gun registry, which many gun advocates fear could lead to confiscation or even tyranny, even though the Manchin-Toomey proposal actually made it a felony for officials to create a registry.
^this is what failed today
Of course the NRA has a starkly different view of what the ATF and gun control advocates view as unreasonable restraints. Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA's lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA), did not respond to an interview request. But last February, in the NRA magazine First Freedom, Cox wrote, the "NRA-ILA puts a great deal of effort into protecting gun owners by urging the Congress to pass 'riders' that help accomplish our agenda." An NRA press release from November 2011 heralded the riders in the ATF appropriation as "Twelve Big Wins for Gun Owners."

According to Cox, the most important of the ATF riders "is a prohibition on creating or maintaining a database of gun owners or guns," which the NRA and other gun-rights advocates say could be used by a tyrannical government to confiscate firearms. The rider, which dates back to 1978, was a response to President Carter's attempt to create a national registry of handguns. A related rider, dating to 1997, bars the government from creating an electronic database of the names of gun purchasers contained in 597 million gun sale records from 700,000 out-of-business dealers. (Those dealers are required by law to turn their records over to the ATF.) In addition, a 1986 law, the Firearm Owners' Protection Act, explicitly forbids the government from creating a database of gun owners.
there would be no gun registry. so that reasoning doesn't jive with the facts.
 5 years ago '04        #28
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
The point is that the expanded background checks were nothing but trying to get every gun owner into a federal database.
what would be wrong with that? a gun is a lethal device, so it would only be responsible to track where they all are (just as we do with automobiles, etc.

ItAlY2BkLyN said:

see my previous post above with stats...
 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM         #29
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:

But that is not necessarily true, I mean if your a gun owner and you purchased a weapon from a legal outlet your already in a national database.......it shouldn't matter if you buy as a gift anyway.....you still want to know who has legal posession of the gun, just in case the gift is to an unstable person.
 5 years ago '07        #30
space
space
 Mr AirRic said:
what would be wrong with that? a gun is a lethal device, so it would only be responsible to track where they all are (just as we do with automobiles, etc.

because lots of ppl think a national gun registry would lead to the gov taking away guns from people.
 5 years ago '04        #31
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
 minimafiaaj said:
because lots of ppl think a national gun registry would lead to the gov taking away guns from people.
only people that shouldnt have guns in the 1st place
 5 years ago '07        #32
space
space
 Mr AirRic said:
only people that shouldnt have guns in the 1st place
well thats a diff conversation. The simple fact is, there would be no registry anyway.
 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM         #33
killya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I was actually for stricter background checks..
 5 years ago '10        #34
Rebirth46 59 heat pts59 OP
space
space
$3,997 | Props total: 982 982
3 pages no Hot topic smh politics
[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #35
BMore All Day 
space
space
$124 | Props total: 1 1
Another win for big money gun manufacturers spreading fear and misinformation. Can't even get a watered down background check bill passed these days.
 5 years ago '04        #36
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,136 | Props total: 9437 9437
 minimafiaaj said:
^this is what failed today

there would be no gun registry. so that reasoning doesn't jive with the facts.
You are right. But there has been strong criticism against those bills. Even Biden himself came out attacking the supporters of those bills. And it's not too unreasonable to think that they would be overturned sometime in the near future.

Mr AirRic said:

Because that's nothing but fear speaking. A knife is a lethal device too. Because of a few bad seeds, you think that you should require every law abiding citizen to submit to a central registry? Point is, these increased laws are not going to affect the criminals. They are going to affect law abiding citizens that did nothing wrong. Look at Kansas. Damn near everyone in Kansas has at least one gun and how many murders are there per year? Now look at Chicago that has some of the strictest gun laws and consequently some of the highest gun violence. And you do know in all the firearm death statistics, a large portion are the result of police officers right? When they talk about gun deaths in the US, that is suicide, police officer, or criminal. The leading cause of gun death in the us is suicide, so that would agree with your statistics that most people who k!ll themselves do it with their own gun.

Dos-effect said:
But that is not necessarily true, I mean if your a gun owner and you purchased a weapon from a legal outlet your already in a national database.......it shouldn't matter if you buy as a gift anyway.....you still want to know who has legal posession of the gun, just in case the gift is to an unstable person.
You do not get put into a federal database. And they don't do Federal background checks. At least in CO when I bought all 3 of mine they did a background check through the CBI. So it's on the state level. But the thing is, they were trying to require a background check if a father buys it for his son. In addition to the one the father already went through.
 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM         #37
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
You are right. But there has been strong criticism against those bills. Even Biden himself came out attacking the supporters of those bills. And it's not too unreasonable to think that they would be overturned sometime in the near future.

Because that's nothing but fear speaking. A knife is a lethal device too. Because of a few bad seeds, you think that you should require every law abiding citizen to submit to a central registry? Point is, these increased laws are not going to affect the criminals. They are going to affect law abiding citizens that did nothing wrong. Look at Kansas. Damn near everyone in Kansas has at least one gun and how many murders are there per year? Now look at Chicago that has some of the strictest gun laws and consequently some of the highest gun violence. And you do know in all the firearm death statistics, a large portion are the result of police officers right? When they talk about gun deaths in the US, that is suicide, police officer, or criminal. The leading cause of gun death in the us is suicide, so that would agree with your statistics that most people who k!ll themselves do it with their own gun.

You do not get put into a federal database. And they don't do Federal background checks. At least in CO when I bought all 3 of mine they did a background check through the CBI. So it's on the state level. But the thing is, they were trying to require a background check if a father buys it for his son. In addition to the one the father already went through.

Yes but you'd be a bit naive to not believe that all this stuff is not in a federal database
 5 years ago '04        #38
Mr AirRic 7 heat pts
space
space
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
1) don't compare knives to guns. im much more scared of a crazy person running around with a gun than a knife
2) the stats i posted were strictly on mass murders committed by guns (no suicides, etc). and those facts are that the majority of those mass murders are caused by guns, acquired legally, and by people with mental conditions that a background check would've kept them from buying the gun (or at least wouldve made it more difficult for them)
 5 years ago '11        #39
space
space
 Dos-effect said:
Yes but you'd be a bit naive to not believe that all this stuff is not in a federal database
Even if it's not in a federal database, I guess he's naive enough to think the government cant easily access them through a subpoena.

5 years ago '04        #40
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
Not surprised. Nothing gets done in this country anymore. Everyone in Washington is either influenced by lobbyists/donations or spend 2 or 6 years trying to fu*k over the opposite party.

The bill wasn't perfect but I doubt anybody came to the table in good faith to try to make it better.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now